1 - Blossom

Lavender Syndrome

               Nighttime. I hear footsteps in the distance. Thinking that I shouldn’t pay them too much attention, I shift my focus back to what’s ahead. Gripping the handle of my gun tight, I set one foot before the other, steps silent enough to perfectly blend into the faint sounds of the night. Arriving at the back of the building, I check my phone again for the address. Wouldn’t want to shoot someone innocent, would we? I start climbing up old metal stairs, damning them for creaking so much under my bodyweight. Nevertheless, I stay focused. I can’t afford to up again. My body still aches when I am reminded of that incident, but I push the pain aside. I need full concentration now. Arriving at the flat rooftop, I look around to make sure nobody is watching me, then I walk over to the opposite side of the building, where I place a hook near the edge of the roof, making sure it won’t slip off the ledge. I let myself down slowly on the attached rope, until I can reach a window one story lower. As claimed, the pane was previously broken and I can easily jump inside. I land in some dark room and despite it being night outside, it takes my eyes a few seconds to get accustomed to the darkness. I check for any noise outside that would indicate people are nearby, but hear nothing. It’s all going according to plan so far. I make my way out of the room carefully, opening and closing the door as silently as possible, then I follow the hallway until the end that was destroyed. It looks like the building was basically ripped in two, with a good two metres of nothing in between both ends of the torn apart hallway. I walk back a few steps, then take a run-up and jump, landing safely at the other end with a fast beating heart. There at the end of the corridor I can see a light that I slowly sneak towards. I find a hole in the floor, which I enter, hopping down into a small entresol, careful not to land one story too low by slipping through the next hole. I crawl forward towards another source of light, where the floor suddenly breaks off and I have full view on a room with a bunch of men in suits in it. Concentrating only on my breathing sounds, I point the gun at my target, before getting a strange feeling. I look to the side and into a pair of eyes staring into mine, the person lying in the same position as I am and aiming a gun into the room.

               “What the ” I hear a deep whisper coming from the purple-haired guy, just as I’m about to say the same thing. He points his gun at me.

               “You do realize if you shoot me now they’ll find us?” I whisper back, always keeping an eye on the people in the room, when I can hear the man next to me swallow.

               “That wouldn’t be so good, would it…?” I already hate this guy. Who put a gun into the hands of such a whimp…?

               “Just get out of my way” I hiss, turning back to my original target, when I feel cold metal against my temple and I freeze up. “Are you gonna shoot me…?” I ask, looking over at him without moving my head.

               “I will have to” he replies. “Since now you know my face.”

               “Do you really think I can see anything in this darkness?”

               “Then you know my voice.”

               “And that’s gonna help me how?” He shrugs, moving his face closer to mine and examining me thoroughly. “What are you doing…?” I question. Well, now I can see his face…

               “You seem familiar…” he says after a while.

               “Do I look like your sister? Do you have a sis-complex?” I bark back.

               “No… You just… Have we met before?”

               “I’m pretty sure we haven’t…” I would be able to remember such an idiot. “And now let me do my work or get lost… And take that gun off my head.”

               “Why would I?” he asks back. “I feel like I know you…”

               “Yeah, you already said that. Now take your rusty gun away or I’m gonna scream” I threaten. But he still won’t listen. “I’m warning you…”

               “Well, if you let them know we’re here then I will push you down there!”

               “We’ll see about that…” I whisper, pull back, and let out an ear-bursting scream. Quickly crawling back to the hole I came from, I hear rustling of clothes behind me and a deep voice yells at me in between gunshots coming from below us.

               “Well done, you little…!” I turn my head and give him a death-glare.

               “You little what?” I challenge him, finally silencing this asshat. I climb up and run along the corridor, jumping over the city-canyon the split building forms and back into the room I’m coming from. Standing at the window and reaching out for the rope, I turn around.

               “You’re still here?!” I yell at the tall man who’s been following me all the way here, as he approaches me and wraps one arm around me from behind, holding his gun to my head with the other.

               “I’m still here and you just destroyed a once-in-a-lifetime chance.” I snort.

               “Once-in-a-lifetime my ! Those guys are here everyday!”

               “Not anymore!” As he screams that, the doors are kicked in and a group of armed men storm inside, commencing the fire only moments after. The man jumps out of the window and grabs the rope, all while still having a hold on me.

               “What are you doing?!” I scream at him, firing a few bullets back into the room. He climbs up and throws me onto the rooftop, where I land uncomfortably on my side, before he heaves up his body and takes out a small knife, cutting off the rope before the other men that are trying to follow us up here can reach us. As they fall to their deaths accompanied by screaming, the tall man grabs my arm and makes a run for it, leaving me with difficulties getting up without falling flat on my face immediately. I manage to stay upright and run along with him, waiting for my chance to free myself from his strong grip. This body isn’t back to its old strength yet… We run down the stairs I took to get up here, leaving me thinking he used the same exact way to get there as I did. Arriving back on the ground, we run into the shadows of the night and right into a crowd of people, disappearing in there, with him ducking so that he won’t strike attention due to his height. We stop in front of a popular butcher’s shop and I finally get to catch my breath.

               “You’re not in top-condition, are you?” he snarkily comments.

               “Tch…” is all he gets as a response. “Why are we here?” I proceed to ask when I can finally talk properly again.

               “I’m bringing you to my boss so that you can explain to him why I didn’t complete my mission” he answers visibly upset.

               “Fine with me. Where is that stupid boss of yours?”

               “Don’t call him stupid!” the man shouts back and I mumble, “Whatever.” Then he unlocks the door and we walk into the shop and enter the back room, where I see two other men. One of them is just chopping a piece of suspiciously looking meat with an axe that looks a bit too big.

               “Pyo, you’re back” he says, before his eyes land on me and he starts grinning. “And finally you’re bringing home a girl!”

               “Not in that sense, Yukwon…” He loosens his grip on my arm and I can free myself, walking over to the guy still staring at me.

               “Is that human flesh…?” I ask and point at the portion of meat he’s chopping up. He nods.

               “Indeed it is. Are you scared now? Does it make you shiver?” he asks as he holds up his axe and one corner of his mouth shoots up as far as possible. He hasn’t blinked even once since I came here.

               “I’m not. I have boys like you for breakfast” I scoff back, when I hear a comment from the third person, whispering under their breath, “…”

               I sigh and turn to him. “And who are you? Don’t tell me you are that leader this babyface over there is talking about.”

               “I am” he says calmly, walking over while looking down on me. As if he was so great. “I am B Bomb, the leader, and I’d like to know why you are here.” I choke, then let out a laugh.

               “B Bomb?! Who gave you that stupid name?” He seems unfazed.

               “I called myself that” he explains.

               “How stupid. Couldn’t think of a better one?” I mock him grinning. Still, he keeps a calm attitude and turns towards the tall babyface.

               “Why did you bring her here?”

               “Ask her that” babyface answers pouting, earning a sigh from his leader.

               “I’m giving you one chance to explain yourself. Will you take it, or…?”

               “...or what?” I challenge him. “Are you gonna point your gun at me and then be too much of a whimp to pull the trigger too?” He grips the handle of something attached to his belt.

               “I won’t. I don’t like guns that much.” I peek at the thing he’s holding, trying to figure out what it is. It seems to be a knife or dagger of some sort. As if he could hurt me with that.

               “Well. The reason why I’m here is that this little over there” I point at the babyface who brought me here, “wouldn’t let me do my own business and obviously ruined the chance to kill someone we’re probably both after.”

               “I see… is that true?” the self-proclaimed missile asks his underling.

               “I wouldn’t say it like that!” he defends himself, but the missile keeps staring at him. “I just… I couldn’t just let her go like this when she knows my face…!”

               “But you didn’t finish the mission.”

               “No but… please! There is a valid reason to this!” the babyface defends his actions, visibly stressed. The guy right in front of me turns to look at me again, thoroughly scanning my face and body.

               “ert” I remark at his examination, to which his eyes return to my face.

               “Maybe I am” he counters calmly. “But you never know where a woman like you may hide her weapons.”

               “I am the weapon” I respond, making him show a slight laugh while rolling his eyes. What kinda softie is this? I look over to the axe murderer. At least he seems normal.

               “Can I go now?” I ask, pointing at the door, but the missile shakes his head.

               “We will keep you here for a few days” he states. “Just in case.” I shrug and walk over to Yukwon, taking a look at the body he’s cutting into pieces.

               “How did you kill her?” I strike up a conversation. He stops all motion and just locks eyes with me.

               “Why would I tell you?” he counters.

               “I don’t know. You don’t have to talk to me.” I’m already turning on my heels when he shouts at me to wait a second.

               “I stabbed her” he informs me.

               “That’s not very clean, you know?” I say. “You should poison her so her body will stay pretty.”

               “I don’t need it to be clean. And besides…” he explains, “she’s far more beautiful with blood on her skin.” I shoot him a look over my shoulder and grin.

               “...is that so?”

 

               I spend the rest of the evening talking to the slightly crazy axe-guy, while the other two disappear after a while. At some point the topic returns to the remains of the woman on his table.

               “Why did you kill her though?” I ask.

               “Ah… I do this all the time!” he says, trying to sound reassuring.

               “Well, I’d advise you not to try it with me” I warn him and snort.

               “Don’t worry” he says, sticking the axe into the wooden surface with a bump. “You’re not the type of woman I’d kill.”