From Winter to Spring

Unfairness of Love [Old Ver.]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sitting cross-legged on her bed, Byulyi looked at her phone laying in front of her. She had been staring at it for a good minute before the screen went dark, reflecting her face back at her.

She sighed, resting her elbow on her knee and her face into her hand. Byulyi was lost in her thoughts. She looked at the city out past the sheer white curtains that hung on the window parallel to her bed. Just outside, there was a small park packed with trees waking up for the first time in several months, sprouting out tiny stems and buds that would soon bloom once the weather grew warm enough. Beyond them, Byulyi saw the gold bathed city in the throes of preparing for the night. And beyond that, she could make out the vague form of the Han river just a few miles away.

It was quiet – too quiet for Byulyi. She was bored out of her mind, which gave room for her anxiety to get the best of her.

Byulyi picked her phone up, looking at the reflection staring back at her for a moment. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath to calm her nerves before she hit the power button. KakaoTalk was open. Her eyes were met with the list of all the chats she was a part of.

What she was stressing over was the fourth chat down. The conversation was with Yongsun, identified by the “Kim Yongsun” title and her profile pic to the left of herself with Jjing Jjing. Below her screen name was the last text she received from her, and as it happened, it was also the first.

With a shaky finger, she opened up the chat.

 

|| Hey!! This is Yongsun 😎

 

A few days ago Byulyi attended the performance of Yongsun's vocal group at the bar. Per Heeyeon's insistence, Byulyi asked Yongsun for her number and Kakao. The nurse was more than happy to share them with her, despite how shy she was feeling in the heat of the moment. Yongsun felt comfortable enough with her to share such information and believed she wouldn’t cause her any issues from the reputation her friends gave of her.

In a small burst of courage, Byulyi willed herself to strike up a conversation.

 

Hey! || How are you? ||

 

“So, I know Heeyeon’s stage name is just her nickname and Sunyoung here is Luna—” Byulyi started asking Yongsun. The nurse had taken the vacant chair next to Byulyi where Heeyeon had been sitting, trying to break out of her shell to speak with this woman who interested her so. “What’s your stage name?”

“It’s Solar,” Yongsun responded with a bright smile on her face, revealing the dimples that Byulyi found adorable.

“Solar, huh?” The blonde hummed acknowledging.

“I had a few other names in mind, but I eventually stuck with Solar.” She giggled. “So you know Solfège? Do Re Mi Fa –” She kept taping her finger upwards on an invisible musical scale. To emphasize where the name came from, she paused and stressed, “—So La.”

Byulyi nodded understandingly. “And you also have ‘sun’ in your name,” the younger added.

“That’s the other reason,” the nurse confirmed, chucking.

“That’s pretty clever,” Byulyi mused, clasping her hands together without much thought. Yongsun smiled in response, her cheeks becoming a dusted pink. She hoped that Byulyi wouldn’t notice in the low-lit room. “Why did you guys decide to use stage names anyway? Isn’t that more of an idol type of thing to do?”

Yongsun took a moment to think.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter