Friday Night

Unfairness of Love [Old Ver.]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongsun wasn't exactly expecting to find herself having lunch is a small, family-run restaurant on her Friday night off with someone she barely knew. Much less someone she hadn’t befriended or was on a date with.

Yongsun agreed initially from of a sense of obligation. She kept telling herself otherwise since she didn't want to admit to having such negative feelings. The nurse tried to convince herself that it wouldn't hurt to take a break and get to know someone new. Heeyeon did speak very highly of her after all.

The only problem with the whole situation they currently were in was the uncomfortable aura that surrounded them. Yongsun found it challenging to break the ice with the shy woman sitting across from her. Whenever she did manage to start a conversation, it was short-lived leading to another wave of uncomfortable silence to wash over them.

It was the same for Byulyi. Whenever she would make a sudden comment with a nervous smile spread across her face, the conversation would die off quickly. The two of them could feel that the other was honestly trying to keep chat afloat and was trying to get to know the other, but their shy natures took over the situation.

During those spells, they would look out the window to watch the cars pass by on the busy street, watch customers, or look at their phones like there would all of a sudden be something exciting or important to look at.

Despite the restaurant being nearly empty, the service was rather slow. Yongsun and Byulyi planned to meet up once the lunch hour crowds had gone, but that also meant many people working at restaurants were on break or were cut for the day. Based on observation, they could tell that the manager had cut all the servers except for one. Unfortunately for him, many others shared the same idea as the two women.

Byulyi twisted her small cup of water around, tracing the rim and unconsciously wiping off the condensation that formed on the outside. It wasn’t particularly warm in the restaurant, but the sun shone brightly on that cloudless day through the window they sat next to.

Yongsun, on the other hand, was watching cars and pedestrians pass by, lost in her thoughts.

As Byulyi fidgeted, she worried if she was overdressed. She was wearing a white turtleneck with black jeans and a matching black blazer like jacket. She also wore a high-end looking pair of shoes. Yongsun was dressed more simply in black leggings and a deep purple sweater with pink sneakers.

“I’m so sorry for the wait,” Yongsun and Byulyi heard, breaking them out of their reveries. The waiter bowed politely with his notepad held up to his chest. “Are you ready to order?”

The two women looked at each other, nodding to tell the other that they were indeed ready then proceeded to tell the waiter the same. The friendly man gestured to Byulyi first, asking her to go ahead.

“I’ll have this,” Byulyi pointed to an item on the menu with a little picture of the dish next to it.

“I’ll actually have the same thing,” Yongsun said with a chuckle on her turn. The server bowed before turning on his heels to put the order in with the kitchen, collecting the menus as he went. The two women lowered their heads in response. The nurse looked back at Byulyi with an animated look of interest in her eyes, changing the atmosphere entirely. “So you like that, huh?”

“Yeah, it’s one of my favorites, and I hear they make it really well here,” Byulyi responded matter-of-factly.

“I don’t know a lot of people who like it, or even want to try it for that matter.” Yongsun laughed, showing Byulyi a real smile for the first time. It was a small one, but it was the first wholehearted one. She was referring to the smell of the food with the comment, as many people didn’t want to try it due to the strong aroma of the sauce. “I usually get teased for eating it.”

“Oh really?” Byulyi’s eyebrows raised enthusiastically. Smiling back in the same manner, Byulyi rested her chin on her upturned palm. “They don’t know what they are missing.”

“Indeed,” Yongsun giggled sweetly with a nod. The grin she showed was far bigger than the previous only a few seconds earlier. Byulyi noticed the little dimples that formed under her lips when she smiled so sincerely like that.

Cute. Byulyi’s heart skipped a beat.

They continued talking about food while they waited. They thought that it was kind of a strange topic to be opening up to, but then again, who doesn’t like food. It always seems to be a quick way into someone’s heart.

Despite the prior slowness, the food was made and delivered to them in a reasonable amount of time.

Yongsun dug right in. Byulyi, on the other hand, took up her phone and the camera in one swift motion. She took a picture of the meal, her lips in anticipation. Curiously Yongsun watched her as she first took the test shot before playing around with the settings until she appeared satisfied.

After taking the winning picture, Byulyi noticed Yongsun’s gaze. The blonde’s face flushed as she locked her phone, placing it at her side on the table. She apologized through a nervous laugh.

“I have a bit of an obsession with photography,” Byulyi admitted.

Usually, she had her laptop and her DSLR slung over her shoulde

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter