Love and Hate

Unfairness of Love [Old Ver.]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rounding the corner of the hallway, Wheein’s ears picked up on a silvery singing voice echoing down the unusually quiet hall. Typically, there are overlapping voices of staff and visitors alike among the backdrop of medical machines and the shuffling of equipment, but no voices nor shuffling could be heard.

The brunette glanced up at a few nurses that gathered together a few doors down from where the singing came from. They giggled and mumbled among themselves with adoring smiles plastered on their faces. Wheein couldn’t help but grin and shake her head at their behavior.

"I swear, this girl," Wheein chuckled to herself. Her voice was loud enough for the three nurses to hear but low enough for them to be unable to make out what was said.

They quickly glanced over at the doctor with guilty expressions. Wheein could tell just how nervous they became, assuming they were fearful of getting scolded for being away from their posts. With a wave of her hand, she dismissed their worries, indicating she had no such intention. Their eyes followed her all the way to the room they were eyeing. The nurses tried to not make it obvious, but the doctor was very well aware, nonetheless.

"Knock, knock!" Wheein singsonged, tapping on the metal door frame. The singing discontinued instantly.

Byulyi turned from her place on the windowsill to catch a grinning Wheein in the doorway of her hospital room. The doctor didn't wait for approval from the older to enter, letting the door close behind her to give them privacy from the eavesdroppers. She made her way to Byulyi to lean onto the frame of the window herself. "Are you still mad at me?"

Byulyi looked back out at the evening’s vibrant sunset. “Yes and no.”

“That’s not so reassuring,” Wheein laughed in an attempt to get the woman to open up. Much to her relief, Byulyi allowed herself to smile at the comment. She didn’t speak, however. Knowing that she was just in a mood, as she usually was when she was forced to stay at the godforsaken hospital, the doctor just let the whole ordeal drop. She knew there was no getting it out of her at the moment.

“You know you’ve got a fan club forming out there, Miss Ultimate Girl Crush?” Wheein teased, to which the response was nothing more than a halfhearted shake of Byulyi’s head. “There were a handful of nurses out there drooling over your singing.”

Byulyi remained quiet. Attempting one last jab, Wheein said, “You need to be careful; you might very well make one of the staff members fall in love with you.”

Silence.

Wheein called out Byulyi’s name to grab her attention. Once she had it, she offered the small bag of onion rings and a bottle of Coke that she was carrying.

"You know that stuff is bad for my health, doctor?" Byulyi teased, glancing from the snacks to Wheein with a cheesy grin.

"Says the woman that had kimchi for lunch, who is completely aware that she is banned from eating it." Wheein countered, mimicking the smirk and tone she was given. Byulyi's grin fell. She playfully wrinkled her nose up, sticking her tongue out as she snatched up the bag of onion rings.

"Hey, I'm Korean – Korean's can't live without their kimchi."

"God, you sound like one of my nurses," the brunette rolled her eyes. She put the bottle of Coke on the ledge in front of the other woman. "But that is indeed very true, so I will give that one to you."

Byulyi eagerly opened the small bag, tongue poking out from the corner of her lips in anticipation. Before she could even grab a piece, Wheein lunged in to grab one ring for herself, popping it into with a smirk. It frustrated Byulyi. She pouted at the younger woman but didn't find the energy to argue back.

"However, that doesn't mean you just ignore orders like that," Wheein finished, sitting on the edge of the windowsill, munching down on another snatched piece. She composed herself to show the seriousness of her words. "They are given for a good reason and your health in mind."

"I know, I know," Byulyi groaned back, popping a whole onion ring in with irritation. Another period of silence crashed over them.

"Where is your sister?" Wheein asked, opening the bottle of Coke to steal a sip.

"Seulgi has late classes now, so she won't be around for a while," Byulyi said, resting her temple against the cool glass. She looked out into the concrete jungle, focusing past the reflection of her and Wheein's faces. "I told Yesol to stay home this time around, so she hasn't visited."

The blonde fought back a yawn. "She is so busy with getting into her dream high school and hasn't been getting nearly enough sleep – She needs to stay home and focus on her studies."

Wheein felt the urge to tell her that that is what family is for, but at the same time, she couldn't blame her. She would have done the same if she were in her position.

Wheein didn’t bother mentioning her parents, knowing that Byulyi convinced them to not travel so far as the hospital was. Even so, they came by every few days to visit and give her whatever they thought she would need and could use.

"What about Kang Seulgi?"

"I'm not going to have her take care of me, she's not family," Byulyi laughed, attempting not to sound harsh and to and lighten the atmosphere. "Though she did stop by to have lunch with me, but she's busy with work, so she didn’t stay for long."

Wheein nodded.

Another pause.

"Do you know when you are going to be released?" Wheein asked, a bit quieter.

"Doctor Park hasn't mentioned it," Byulyi sighed. "Hopefully soon."

"I'll try asking him before I go home tonight but be sure to stop by my office before you leave," Wheein instructed. "I won't have you going AWOL on me again."

“Yes, ma’am Doctor Jung.” Byulyi saluted. Wheein rolled her eyes again and muttered an “oh my god.”

The two women watched the sun set on the horizon. They finished off the snack with light conversation. Once the sun disappeared and it’s dying colors were long gone, Wheein announced that she was going to head home for the night. She collected the trash and instructed Byulyi to try to get some sleep. Halfway across the room, Wheein spoke.

“Don’t let Doctor Park know I let you eat this.” She referenced to the trash she had in her hands. Byulyi had since moved to sit on the corner of her designated bed. “He will have my if he finds out.”

Byulyi nodded sincerely. She had no desire to be scolded by her doctor and much less

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter