Opportunity

Forget-Me-Not
XSYKOTICA
Opportunity
 

Taeil, standing in front of his house, waved goodbye to his best friend, who was right across the street, standing in front of her house. Other than being best friends since elementary school, they were also neighbors. Taeil and Wendy's fathers had been high school colleagues, best friends, as well as competitors in good faith. They had always competed against the first place. However, when Taeil's parents moved abroad to continue with their research, Taeil was taken under the care of his grandmother and often cared by the Wendy's family, like a son.

Unlike their parents, neither Taeil nor Wendy had much interest in studies. Wendy was often seen in the drama club, whether she was prepping for a show or not. She claimed to love the environment of a stage and behind the scene. Taeil, on the other hand, was often in the art wing, sketching or sculpting for nothing in particular. He had helped out Wendy by creating background for her plays, and in return he was able to see her shows for free, which he enjoyed. 

Taeil thought back to when he and Wendy met for the first time. Even nine years ago, Taeil was not much of a talker whereas Wendy was friendly and very out-going. Having transferred from United States, Wendy was placed to sit next to Taeil. With her non-fluent Korean, Wendy had tried hard to start a conversation with Taeil, yet Taeil, as always, didn't reply and kept silent. Flustered, Wendy had cried to Taeil's non-responsiveness, and Taeil had gotten in trouble for making Wendy cry. That day, going home on the school bus, Taeil and Wendy realized they were neighbors. Also that day, Wendy's family was invited to Taeil's house for dinner and a reunion between the dads. Having spent almost the entire day, as well as rest of the school year closely together, Wendy, although it had taken some days, realized that it was no use trying to get Taeil to talk and so she always did majority of the talking.

As years passed, they became closer and closer to each other, having each other's presence, even if it was Wendy talking, and it was unimaginable for the two to not be together in any circumstances. Even if their personalities clashed a bit, as well as their interests, Taeil and Wendy had been supportive of each other. Taeil was there when Wendy's pet dog, whom she had gotten very attached to, had died, and Wendy was there when Taeil's parents suddenly had to move abroad to Europe to continue their research.

 

"I'm home!" Wendy shouted, as cheerfully as possible, yet was greeted by silence.

Even though it was already 10:00p.m, Wendy was often left by herself at night with her two sisters, both of whom went to sleep early. She very well knew that it was due to the fact that her parents worked hard that she was able to live such a comfortable life, but she had often wanted her parents to be home when she came home, kissing her on the forehead, asking how her day was.

Not wanting to be burdensome again to Taeil's grandmother, she had declined his offer when he had invited her over for dinner for the millionth time. It was common for her to eat at Taeil's house and she was always thankful, but she had always felt bad being indebt to his grandmother. She headed for the kitchen and took out a frozen pieace of baguette from the fridge, which she placed in the microwave to defrost. After grabbing her bread, she sat down on the couch and thought about the day she had today. She was stil awe for yelling at rookie actor Lee Taeyong. She knew it obviously wasn't the right thing to do, especially since all her passion was into the job he had. Yet, when Taeyong had looked down upon her best friend, she just couldn't hold in the feeling of hatred and had to let it all go. Not all actors are as seen on television and she should've known better. Shaking her head, trying to empty her head, she the television, hoping to catch up with some newest episode of variety shows. Yet when she did turn the channel, none other than Taeyong had appeared. Annoyed, she flipped the channel, and it was a different show with him in it. She kept on flipping to different channels, yet was greeted with his face over and over again.

'Darn it,' she thought to herself. 'Isn't there anyone else on the tv?"

Irritated, she turned off the television and headed to her room, hoping to get started on the homework, although she very well knew that she wouldn't and end up watching dramas on her phone. She checked her phone after grabbing it off of the counter to find texts from an unknown number. Hello, this is Lee Taeyong. Please give me a call when you can. Confused by the text she had gotten, she was beyond frustrated.

'So now I get texts claiming to be him? What is he doing to my life?'

She instantly deleted the message and imagined it to be a prank. A very "funny" prank. Not wanting to take part in anything else with him, Wendy decided to go to sleep instead. She lied down on her bed and closed her eyes. Few seconds passed, then few minutes. However, she couldn't fall asleep and jolted right back up. Sighing, she grabbed her phone again. She looked at her lockscreen, which was a picture of her family with Taeil's family, having a picnic. Wendy and Taeil were ten at the time. The child version of her seemed genuinely happy, along with Taeil. But the happiness didn't last long as her parents both worked hard, and Taeil's parents had moved abroad. At the time, Wendy didn't want Taeil to go, thinking that she would lose her precious friend. But nowadays, seeing her friend's melancholy look whenvever he saw his family photo, made Wendy feel a pang of sadness as well, wishing that he went along with his family and at least be happy with his parents. Wendy had always thought it was her fault that Taeil did not go abroad along with his family member and she had always felt guilty about it. She promised herself that she would be there for him whenever he needed her, and so far she had done good job at it. Or at least she would like to think so.

Wendy unlocked her phone and clicked on the Facebook messenger app and logged onto her account. She saw that Taeil was online as well and decided to shoot him a text.

Wendy: You awake? 

Few seconds later, Taeil texted back. 

Taeil: No. Why?

Wendy: I can't asleep

Taeil: want me to come over? or wanna come over?

WendyI feel bad because of your grandma...

Taeil: She went to bed already.

Wendy: I'll head over then.

Wendy quickly gathered her belongings and ran as fast as she could to Taeil's house. Without knocking, she grabbed the key hidden under the dirt which was five steps away from the front of Taeil's house and opened the front door.

"Taeil-ah!" Wendy shouted.

He appeared from the floor above putting his hand to his mouth.

"Shhhh," he shushed. "My grandma is sleeping."

Nodding and apologizing, Wendy headed upstairs to Taeil. Together they went inside his room, where Wendy headed straight for his bed.

"Ah," she said, sighing. "This feels nice."

Scoffing, Taeil took a seat next to Wendy, grabbing his unfinished drawing from his bedstand. Noticing her friend's art, Wendy quickly sat up next to Taeil, examining his work. It was a drawing of a girl, with bright smiles like that of Wendy, as well as long, straight hair like Wendy's. Despite all these similarities, Wendy didn't think much about the drawing. When she first saw the drawing of the girl consistantly appearing on Taeil's art, she assumed that it was his secret crush that Wendy didn't know about. She was disappointed at first, not knowing who his crush is. But due to the strong denial of Taeil, she rested the case, in attempts to find his crush. Others have pointed out that the girl in the drawing was Wendy, but Taeil once again denied and Wendy trusted Taeil. When Taeil did draw a picture of Wendy, he openly admitted to it and gave Wendy the painting, which still hung on her wall. In the painting, Wendy was brightly smiling, despite the gloomy, dark background surrounding her. Taeil told Wendy that it was because she was always so happy no matter the circumstances.

After few moments of silence, Wendy got bored and got out of the bed.

"I'm going to get something to drink," she said. "Want anything?"

Taeil, not looking up from his art work, simply shook his head "no". Rolling her eyes, Wendy snuck outside, hoping to not make a sound and headed downstairs to get herself a seltzer water, that tasted like raspberry lime, which was her favorite. Wendy very well knew that Taeil nor his grandmother drinks seltzer water, yet the fridge was always stocked with at least one or two can for Wendy to drink whenever she came over. Grabbing the drink, as well as a banana from the counter, Wendy skipped back upstairs.

Taeil, still very focused on his drawing, simply said "you missed a call" when she came back up. Shocked at the fact she got a call so late at night, Wendy checked her phone and realized the same number claiming to be Taeyong had called.

"Ugh," Wendy sighed.

"What's wrong?"

"It's this weirdo," she explained. "About two hours ago, someone texted me claiming to be Lee Taeyong."

"So what did you do?"

"I just deleted the message. What would I do?"

Taeil nodded, as if agreeing to Wendy. But then after few minutes of silence he began talking again.

"What if it actually is Lee Taeyong?" he asked.

Smirking, Wendy said, "I wish."

Taeil then finally looked up from his drawing and made an eye contact with Wendy. Behind his poker face, he seemed to be saying a lot of things to Wendy. Although Taeil had not directly said anything, Wendy could read his eyes. Taeil seemed to be encouraging Wendy to give the person a call back, to make sure of things. Wendy looked at her phone. She was also very curious as to if the person who called truly was Taeyong. Yet there was something that made her afraid. Afraid to call him. She didn't have the guts to, after yelling at him like that. But then again, she should call, and if it really is Taeyong, Wendy should apologize. For being rude, even if he was the one that was rude to Taeil first. Sighing, still unsure of what to do, Wendy stared hard her phone, hoping that it would give her some answers. After few minutes of intense staring contest with her phone, she decided to give him a call. Right now. He had called her late at night, so why shouldn't she?

Ring. Ring. Ring.

Hello?

"Hi, is this Lee Taeyong?"

Ms. Wendy Son?

Wendy couldn't help but be awed at the fact that Taeyong had remembered her name. Smiling to herself, she said a simple "yes".

Ms. Son, I called to let you know that we are very interested in casting you as a role in the upcoming movie.

Upcoming movie? A role? Shocked, Wendy didn't know what to say or how to reply.

Would you be interested?

"I... I WOULD BE THRILLED TO!" Wendy exclaimed. "THANK YOU! THANK YOU SO MUCH!"

Excited, Wendy hung up, with grin hanging from one side of her ear to another. Wendy jumped on Taeil, who was very much confused, giving him a tight hug. Taeil hugged back, patting her back.

"Taeil! I got a role! I GOT A ROLE IN THE NEW UPCOMING MOVIE WITH LEE TAEYONG!"

"That's great!"

Wendy was so very ecstatic. But then few seconds later, the reality had struck her. Lee Taeyong, who had been rude to her one and only best friend was asking her to be in his new upcoming movie. But then again, it was, after all, the trending actor Lee Taeyong. How could she say no? But Taeil had been her friend long before she even had a dream as an actress.

Taeil or Taeyong?

Taeyong or Taeil?