Friends

Forget-Me-Not
XSYKOTICA
Friends

Taeil took a deep breath. He wasn't sure if he was ready. He was certain that he wasn't.

He was never really fond of public speaking, but for friendship, Taeil decided that he wanted to audition for a small role in the newest upcoming movie with famous Hallyu stars. Taeil figured even if he didn't make it in, him auditioning would be a big help and support to his friend.

He took another long breath in and out, before being disturbed by Wendy standing next to him.

"You ready?" she asked, flashing her white teeth at him.

Wendy had always been there for Taeil. Not being much of a talker, he was never able to socialize with kids his age when he was younger. However, Wendy took the patience to talk to him. They had been friends ever since he could remember.

Taeil gave a short nod of the head, attempting to smile back.

"I'm jealous," she said. "I'm actually quite nervous."

She was only attempting to ease the tension that he may have been feeling. Taeil knew very well that Wendy was far more ready than he was. Wendy had great potential as an actress. She is bright and cheerful, outgoing, and knows how to make a person happy. She even has the good looks. Everyone loves her, even if you barely know her. People were attatched to her like a magnet, once they really got to know her.

"I'm sure you'll do great," Taeil said, almost whispering.

"You think so?" she said, smiling brightly. "Thanks!"

 

When series of people exited the room, Taeil and Wendy, along with 2 others, walked into a room. In the room were three panels sitting at a table; the director, scriptwriter, and trending rookie actor Lee Taeyong.

The four auditioners took a seat where they were told to. Taeil's gaze turned from one judge to another, amazed that he might have the chance to work with such great director, scriptwriter, and Lee Taeyong. Taeil then stole a quick glace at Wendy and found her stiffly sitting up, smiling from ear to ear. Her smile almost made Taeil forget where he was. He had never realized how stunning her smile looked.

Upon realizing she was being stared at, Wendy turned towards Taeil and whispered, "Can you believe it? Lee Taeyong is sitting in front of us!"

Clear sense of happiness could be heard in her voice. Taeil smiled bitterly, feeling as though he had lost against Lee Taeyong, although he had to admit that Taeyong was far better than him in everything. Taking his gaze off of Wendy, Taeil turned to his crumpled script, which had been badly beaten up and written all over. Taeil had chosen a scene where two lovers depart and the male character grieves over the memories they had together. Taeil was certain he could not do a happy scene, so he had chosen the saddest scene of the entire movie. By the time he was almost through skimming over the script, the director had called for "Son Wendy". His friend, with bright smile, stood up and bowed.

"Annyeonghaseyo!" she exclaimed. "My name is Son Wendy. Pleased to meet you."

"Pleasure is ours, Wendy," the director said. "Please begin when you are ready."

Wendy closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Then smiling, she opened her eyes and took a step backwards. She had waited so long for this day. She so badly wanted to debut as an actress, and she was so close to becoming one. Choosing one of the happier scenes in the movie, Wendy steadily carried out her words, not even stumbling once upon her words. She was firm, yet there was delicacy in the voice. After she had finished her excerpt, she sat down with a small "thank you". Then she turned her gaze to Taeil, flashing her bright teeth again at his direction.

Before it was Taeil's turn, the two others that were in the room together with him went. Although their emotions were good, there was something missing about them, confidence that Wendy had.

Finally it was Taeil's turn and upon being called, he stood up as firmly and tall as possible, as Wendy had directed him to do so before. Taking a deep breath in, he tried to get into character when he was distrubed by loud coughing of Taeyong. Startled, Taeil glanced at Taeyong.

"Oh, sorry," Taeyong apologized.

Nodding as a sign of "okay", Taeil once again tried to get into character by breathing in. Few seconds into his piece, a loud helicopter sound could be heard from the outside. Not having a loud voice, Taeil's voice quickly got drowned by the sound of the helicopter flying through the air. Humiliated, Taeil took a pause, hoping that the vehicle would pass by sooner than later. Yet there was no sign of helicopter going away soon. Unsure of what to do, Taeil stayed standing and chewed at his lower lip.

"I think that's enough for today," Taeyong said, breaking the silence.

Taeil was startled as he has not even finished his memorized lines. The had not even hit upon them yet. Nonetheless, Taeyong started packing up his belongings. Flustered, Taeil stood there, watching Taeyong pack.

"What are you doing?" Wendy said, almost screaming.

Awed by her loud voice, all three judges as well as the other two auditioners all stared at Wendy. From an extremely small girl like Wendy, a loud voice came out of her.

"I asked what you were doing," she said again, more camly, but taking a step foward the direction of Taeyong.

"I'm packing up, as you can see," he replied, without a flinch.

"And why would you do that? My friend here is not done with his part!"

"He just lost his chance," he said, sternly. "Do you really think we give exceptions to those who have small voice and does not know how to improvise when necessary?"

"But he's not done!"

"We don't need to hear any more of him to realize that he will not get the role anyways."

Wendy's eyes grew big, clearly shocked at the words Taeyong had said out loud. Coming back to her sense, her face turned red with anger. Yet soon, she smirked and quickly got her face to calm down.

Still glaring at Taeyong, Wendy said, "I don't see the point of working with an arrogant bastard who can't treat people right. Come on Taeil, let's go. Our business is done here."

 

 

After storming out, Wendy stayed silent for a while. Getting a drink from the vending machine, Taeil offered some to Wendy, who replied with a quick smile and a "thank you". Taeil sat next to his best friend, staring at her occasionally, then sipping at his drink. Wendy sometimes flinched; other times made crying face; and sometimes even laughing out loud. Her mix of emotions continued on for at least fifteen minutes when she finally started to talk again.

"Can you believe I said that?" Wendy said.

She started ripping at her hair, and even managed to pull a few strands out.

"My life is over!" she exclaimed. "I'll never be able to set another foot in entertainment world!"

Taeil knew better than anyone. He knew how much this audition had meant for Wendy. It was her chance of debuting as an actress and hopefully growing into a star. Several months before the actual audition, upon hearing about this opportunity, Wendy had worked hard in order to get a stable role in the movie. Taeil felt apologetic knowing how much it had meant for her and in a way, he was the one that had ruined everything for her.

"I'm sorry," Taeil said, bowing his head.

Wendy opened her eyes big, but then smiled and said, "Why would you be? It's not your fault."

However, behind her words, her disappointment was clearly visible. She had wanted to work so hard with the famous director and screen writer. She was a huge fan of Lee Taeyong. But now, because of him, Wendy had lost her chance.

"It's always my personality and my mouth," Wendy looked down at , hitting it with her hand. "But why does Lee Taeyong have to be so rude!"

Despite her good personality, Wendy also had a side of her that often got her intp trouble. It was her fiery personality. When she believed something was not right, she would have to argue until the other person was proved wrong, or she was proved wrong. She hated being discriminated or being unfairly treated. Perhaps that is why she stayed by Taeil's side so long. Taeil, although often bullied as a kid, never showed any prejudice to others. He tried to "walk in other's shoes", and often just shrugged it off. And often, that was the cause of Wendy's suffocation: Taeil not being able to say what his beliefs are regarding to any topic. She tried to toughen Taeil up, but failed tremendously. He didn't bother to yell at others for their faults. It was often the reason why Taeil was defenseless against the bullies.

"What are you going to do now?" Taeil asked.

Smiling, Wendy replied, "I guess I'm going back home? Unless you want to grab something to eat. I'm starving!"

Despite her cheerful voice, Taeil very much knew it affected Wendy a lot.

"Come on, Taeil. Let's go get something to eat."

Wendy then stood up and motioned Taeil to follow behind her. Throwing away his can in the recycling bin nearby, he trotted after her, trying to catch up. Wendy jumped up and threw her arm around Taeil's neck, dragging him down, due to their height difference.

"You're buying right?" Wendy playfully asked.

Smirking, Taeil nodded. Wendy then let go of his neck and grabbed him by the wrist, running towards bus stop. It had always been this way for them. Taeil was there for Wendy when she needed him and Wendy for Taeil. There was not one single instance since they met as six-year-olds when one of them was not there for the other. Even when Wendy had a boyfriend for a short period of time, they went out together as a trio, as she insisted that they do. Many of there classmates suspected there to be something between them, but there was absolutely nothing and every time such rumor arose, they just laughed it off.

Their friendship was bound by invisible chains, never being broken. At it stayed that way. And it will stay that way.