Chapter 8

He who loves him

Chanyeol woke up to an empty stomach and a worrying thought. Would Baekhyun get hurt? He looked over at the still sleeping person. The blankets were tossed around messily and his shirt wasa riding up his stomach. Light huffs were heard and small scratches of the back were all that happened. He watched as Baekhyun’s face seemed to be at peace. It looked as if the boy had not a single worry. And yet it portrayed an ominous feeling. Such a perfect life didn’t exist. A pretty face was meant to be scarred. A helpless child was meant to be kept hidden. He pondered over what could have happened. Baekhyun never wanted to discuss his family situation. Chanyeol never wanted to talk about it because he didn’t want to see his roommate in anguish. That’s why he kept quiet. But it ended there. Too many questions with too vague answers were gnawing at his head. Why does he not want to talk about his parents. Why does he get such hateful letters. And more importantly, how does he have such a blank face while receiving such hateful notes. Was he used to this? The thought made him mad. He decided to distract himself by getting up and grabbing a bite to eat. He quickly left the room but his worries didn’t leave him. How did his bags get into his room? How did the men know how to open their door? Why do I care so much? He was about to scream in frustration when he heard his name. “Chanyeol! Good Morning!!!” Aisha bounded over in her cheer outfit and stopped a little too close to Chanyeol. He quickly took a step back and gave a small smile. “Good Morning. I see you have morning practice on a weekend. Must be a lot of work.” Aisha grinned back “Cheer is fun. You should come watch us practice some time.” Chanyeol and Aisha continued to chat until another cheerleader told Aisha that practice was about to start. They both bid their farewell with Aisha asking for a hug and Chanyeol laughing it off as a joke. He watched as she walked off with her friend and sighed with relief. He didn’t hate her. But he didn’t like her. She was just…..meh. He didn’t understand why people thought they would be compatible together. He always felt suffocated when she was around. It was either her perfume or her enthusiasm that seemed to overpower him. He walked into the club room and began tuning his instruments. What a beautiful shine his baby’s had. Chanyeol always practiced in the morning on Sundays and he also liked to clean his children. He kept every single piece of his instrument squeaky clean. He often compared his passion for music to Tao’s, passion for fashion. He quietly laughed at himself for that rhyme. All of a sudden the door made a creaking sound. Chanyeol turned his head toward the door but no other sound was heard so he shrugged it off and continued strumming his chords. Soon enough the room was erupting with power sounds and Chanyeol immersed himself.

Junmyeon was about to walk into the club room when he heard a strong yet sad melody being played. He looked and saw Chanyeol with his guitar. The man was loud with every note yet it felt like he was hiding something. Usually the guitarist would be smiling and rolling around while playing but this time….this time felt more helpless. He looked as if he was having trouble standing. His fingers made the notes sound forced and fake. But there was still something beautiful about it. He decided to leave Chanyeol alone and bounded off to some other activity. He headed towards the library to study and complete his homework. Junmyeon was a star student. His grades were always in the top ten along with kyungsoo. He enjoyed spending time in the library but his true self was definitely just as loud and immature as his team. He collected some books and sat down to study up on some science when he heard a few whispers from the bookshelf next to him.

“Why would you do that?! Do you realize that he will be on guard now! Ugh you stupid …”

“You were the one who said to warn him. And. Thats. Exactly. What. I. Did. Don’t put the blame on me.”

“Whatever, as long as he doesn’t know who it’s from.”

“Why are you going so far. Scott doesn’t even like you like that. You guys weren’t even a thing.”

“Shut Up! Him and I were meant to be but a few inconveniences got in the way. And he is one of them!”

“Sureee. Like you ever had a chance with him.  You know he only talks to you because he knows you’re rich as , right?”

“Shut up Lisa, isn’t that the reason you’re here? To get paid by this rich as girl?”

“Yeah yeah, but you still haven’t paid me sooo…”

“I already put in your checking account so we’re done here.”

“Oh. Why didn’t you tell me that sooner, geez.”

Junmyeon continued to listen until the two said their farewells. He leaned back in his chair. What were those two girls doing? He knew one of them was named Lisa but the other girl was unknown. Her voice didn’t seem familiar either. He racked his brain to think if he should report this. The two girls sent a warning to someone. A warning for what? Harm? Murder? His thoughts escalated and so he went back to his room to get away from the terrible ideas.

 

Baekhyun closed the door to his dorm and walked toward the cafeteria. What a beautiful morning to take a stroll around the campus. He fiddled with his sleeve when people passed him in the hallway. He watched closely to see any signs of danger from anyone. Even the lunch lady was a suspect. He couldn’t trust what she gave him. Who knows what could be in that carton of milk. Cyanide? He ditched the idea of a good breakfast and headed for a vending machine. You can’t poison a vending machine. He gave himself a mental pat on the back as he outsmarted whoever was after him. He was beginning to gulp down the contents of the energy drink when he heard a female voice utter his name. “You’re Baekhyun, right?” He glanced over and saw a black haired wearing shorts that revealed a little too much. “Uh, yeah. The one and only.” He tried to sound confident as she continued to glare at him. “I see you haven’t moved yet. Can’t you read? Didn’t that letter tell you to get lost or can you just not comprehend words?” Baekhyun set down his drink. “Wait, you’re the one who sent that? Why?” She smirked. “I shouldn’t have to explain something like that to you. Anyway, hurry up and disappear. You’re getting in the way of something I want so I need you gone.” She said while looking at her nails. Baekhyun watched as she waited to hear obedience. What a dumb thought baekhyun. Why should he have to listen to her? “And what if I say no?” She turned back to him. “NO?! I don’t think you understand your position. Do you know who I am? I could get you expelled from this whole city!” She shouted. Baekhyun smirked. “No you can’t.” She stepped closer with every click of her heel. “Oh? Do you want to bet on that?” Baekhyun also stepped closer. “You’re going down.”
 

Kai and Kyungsoo entered the cafeteria and was met with a wave of voices. It was ten times louder than usual. They quickly walked to their table where everyone seemed to be interested in whatever Sehun had to say. That was a first. “What’s got all your asses on edge today. Someone die?” Kai said jokingling. “No but close. Apparently Maya was trying to expel Baekhyun this morning but she failed.” Kai’s eyes widened. “Maya failed? The daughter to a prestigious conglomerate failed at getting what she wanted?” Sehun nodded enthusiastically. “While I was walking past the office this morning I overheard her screaming into her phone and decided to record it. Here watch.” Sehun fished around in his jacket and pressed a play button on his phone. It showed a smug looking Maya talking into the phone while looking at Baekhyun who looked quite laid back.

“Daddy? This is Maya. I need something done by the this afternoon.” She pressed the speaker button so Baekhyun and Sehun’s phone could hear. “What do you need honey?” Maya gave a smile. “Nothing much. I just want you to expel someone from this entire city. You can do that for me can’t you?”

“Of course I can Maya. Who is she?”

“Actually, it’s a boy. Byun Baekhyun. I don’t want to see him ever again. He’s cramping up my life.” Baekhyun lifted an eyebrow and silently scoffed. He grabbed out his own phone and began texting someone. Maya was angry that he didn’t seem scared. “Hey , you’re about to get kicked out of this place so I suggest you start packing before I tell them to burn your clothes.” Baekhyun looked at her. “Won’t happen.” Kai continued watching Maya get annoyed with Baekhyun. She lifted the phone to . “Actually can you make the expulsion happen right now? He doesn’t seem to understand who He’s messing with.”

“Sure honey. Give me a second while I make some calls. I’ll call you when I’m done.” The phone call ended wand she strutted over to the chair opposite of Baekhyun’s. She sat down and tossed her phone in her bag. “It’s over now Byun, you’re gone.” Baekhyun leaned towards her. “Like I said. Won’t happen.” She angrily slammed her hand on the table. “I just ing expelled you! Why can’t you just get out of my ign way.” Baekhyun laughed. “Wow girl, chill. How do you know I’m getting expelled?” This time Maya gave an icy laugh. “What I want is what I get. I don’t have it any other way.” Baekhyun shook his head. “What a brat. Guess I’ll tell you a little something.” He got up from his seat and stopped beside her. “You’re not a threat to me. You won’t ever be.” Baekhyun walked away as a very enraged maya was left in the office. A few more seconds passed and her phone rang. She picked it up. “Honey, I’m afraid I can’t expel Byun Baekhyun.” Her face turned dark. “Why not daddy? I thought you could expel anyone I wanted.”

“But darling, his family……...they could destroy us.”

The video ended and Kai was left stunned. Baekhyun was more powerful than a conglomerate? Just then Baekhyun walked into the cafeteria with Chanyeol and they both sat down. Kai watched as Chanyeol offered to go and get their lunches while Baekhyun waited. When Chanyeol walked away baekhyun turned towards the members and smiled. “What does your family do?” kyungsoo asked immediately. Baekhyun looked hurt. “Kyungsoo, why are you asking that?”

“C’mon hyung, everyone already knows how Maya can’t touch you. That means you’re family does more than just ‘business’.” Sehun said. Baekhyun looked down at his lap and sighed. “Promise you won’t think of me any different from what I am now?” They all nodded. Baekhyun lifted his head and took a deep breath. “My family owns the biggest technology and oil company in the continent.” Everyone was silent. “Like the biggest?” Kris asked dumbly as he couldn’t believe what he was hearing right now. Baekhyun gave a quick nod. Everyone slowly nodded as they let the thought sink in. Soon everyone ventured to their own meals. Baekhyun watched as everyone casually went back to what they were doing. Weren’t they going to ask him more questions? Or take money from him? He looked at everyone’s face but couldn’t find a fake smile anywhere.

 

Chanyeol walked back to the table and noticed how Baekhyun’s name was uttered multiple times in all directions. Of course he knew about how Baekhyun was going to be expelled by  Maya. He also knew about how Baekhyun’s background could easily compare to Maya’s. A quick search on the web showed Baekhyun’s family with him either as a child or his name listed in some article. The public didn’t know about him as he grew older because of the family’s request for privacy. But his name was still listed on their official family tree. That didn’t change Chanyeol’s opinion toward Baekhyun. The guy seemed fun and interesting without having to use his background. He wasn’t the kind of person to judge him based on silly things like money. That didn’t matter to him. As long as Baekhyun enjoyed hanging out with him then he would continue to be his friend. He arrived at the table and set their lunches down. Baekhyun thanked him and began biting into his sandwich.

“Hyung, did you know Baekhyun is loaded more than Maya?” sheun asked quickly as he dodged a glare from Baekhyun. Chanyeol stopped chewing and tried to swallow down his food. “Really? That’s cool.” Baekhyun was stunned. That’s it? That’s all he says. “Don’t you guys think it’s weird for someone like me to be attending this kind of school?” Lay shook his head. “Not really. I feel like a private school is too stuck up and pressuring for someone like you. You fit in more with this kind of environment.” Everyone nodded. “Oh. Thanks.” Baekhyun went back to eating his lunch as Chen was starting to tell a story. Chanyeol noticed a small smile form on Baekhyun’s lips. He gave the guy a small squeeze on the shoulder. Whatever Baekhyun was going through Chanyeol promised he would help in any way. Baekhyun’s smile was in danger of disappearing any day now. He promised to protect it.