chapter 10

He who loves him

 

Lunch was wild. No one could keep quiet about what happened. The school was going through changes and that means no rules were in place. Due to the massive amount of funding from Baekhyun’s mother, she held authority on what events were to take place at them school. The school updated their website and it listed the activities that the students were to participate in. Many were excited at the new opportunities but some were worried about the amount of work they were given. Sehun stared at the dates of each event and shoved his apple into his cheek. “What the hell are you doing?” Kai said while relocating Sehun’s hand to direct the apple into the mouth. “Shut up. I’m trying to be disgusted by the amount of performances and assignments we have to do.” Kai looked at him but decided to ignore the younger and focus his attention on his boyfriend. Kyungsoo was also looking at the new schedule but was neatly writing everything down. “I could do this here...then plan for this one…...and go to the library to study this…”

“Look at my little soo being a productive member of society.” Kai cooed while resting his head on his hands to stare at his lover. “Oh my god! It says here that a month from now we will be holding a talent show and it doesn’t have to be singing or dancing! I was born for this moment!”

“Just make sure not to break any lights with your fancy pole like last time.” Kris said while sipping on water. “How rude! That pole was too light for me and so I lost my grip.” Tao harrumphed. Junmyeon joined the table with Lay right behind. “What are you guys being so loud for? I could hear you across the room.”

“Hyung, have you decided on what to do for the new schedule?” Sehun asked.

“Of course. I already planned which ones to do as a group and you guys can choose whichever solo project you want.” The group nodded along and started discussing what to do. “There’s a solo talent stage two weeks from now. Are any of you going to join?” Lay said while helping Junmyeon open a bag of chips. “I was thinking of showing off my artistic ability but I might have artist block soon so no.” Kris said. Baekhyun and Chanyeol arrived at the table. “You can draw?” Baekhyun asked. Kris stuck his chin in the air and nodded. “No, he can’t.” Tao said. “He just believes that he can see everyone’s inner soul or something.”

“I can see everyone’s inner self though!” Kris said defensively. Chanyeol laughed at how Kris was acting. “Child.” Kris snapped his neck to Chanyeol. “Your soul is satisfied with how everything is but you can’t help worrying about the future.” He said quickly while staring directly into Chanyeol’s eyes. “You’re scared someone precious to you will be gone and you also seem to be having a mental battle with your love life.” he continued while his face was inching closer to a very shocked Chanyeol. “Now, if I were to paint this i would go with a deep yellow to show the peace before the storm, wouldn’t you say so.” His tone was now threatening. Chanyeol didn’t know what to say. He was right. But he wasn’t going to tell them. “LIES!” He roared while slamming his hand on the table. “Dude chill. I was just playing. I’m only right two out of three times.” Kris said while backing away. “Why do you think Chanyeol is worrying about the future?” Baekhyun asked innocently. “Weeell..” Kris said while looking back and forth from Baekhyun and Chanyeol. “Sometimes he has this pink aura when he is with a certain someone but then he has on a worrying face the minute that person gets too far away from him.” Baekhyun didn’t notice the constant winking that Kris was giving to Chanyeol and continued on. “Chanyeol is very protective…” Baekhyun said to himself.

“Who’s the person? I don’t remember seeing Chanyeol with anyone but us?” Tao asked. “You dimwit, you just answered your own question!” Kris said while doing a dramatic face palm. “We would never leave you.” Lay said reassuringly while patting Chanyeol’s back. “I’m pretty sure he wants to hear a certain someone say that to him.” Kris said suggestively. Chanyeol’s heart skipped a beat and he felt his face heating up. “You guys better shut up about my feelings or else I’ll throw a raw potato at you.” He quickly got up from his seat and glanced at Baekhyun for a split second before sprinting out the room. “What’s up with him?” Baekhyun asked. “Nothing to worry about. He’s just become aware.” Kris said amused. “By the way, does your mom inform you on what to do and stuff for all the competitions?” Kris asked. Baekhyun quickly shook his head. “We’re not that close. And she doesn’t want me to win so whatever.” He began lightly stabbing his food with his fork. “I never actually saw her since five years ago.” Kris was taken aback. “Dude, I am so sorry. I wasn’t thinking. I just thought that she looked a lot like you and since your so friendly with everyone I …….I’m sorry.” kris said regretfully. Baekhyun flashed a smile. “Alright already. It’s not your fault. But she is nothing like me. She smiles at profit and anything that benefits her. So unless you own a yacht and can support a city you won’t even get to touch her.” He said with an annoyed face. He looked over at the empty seat next to him. “I’ll go check up on Chanyeol. See you guys later.”

He opened the door and was met with a bundle  of blankets on top of Chanyeol’s bed. He tried not to laugh but the sight of a gigantic ball with a sulking Chanyeol was so unbelievable. He climbed onto the bed and sat in front of Chanyeol. He noticed the giant was pouting and and decided to move his face closer so he would notice him. Chanyeol’s dazed eyes suddenly widened and his entire body shot back. Baekhyun watched as Chanyeol tumbled off his bed and fell to the ground with a loud bang. Even though the giant was clearly in pain, he didn’t make a sound and just laid there motionless. Baekhyun stared at the lump until Chanyeol showed no intention of getting off the ground. “Hey, get off the ground before I mistaken you for a rug and step on you.” He said while lightly kicking the lump. Chanyeol quietly poked his head out and gave a mischievous smile. “But you wouldn’t do that, would you?” He said while taunting what Baekhyun had said earlier. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and jumped straight into Chanyeol and the both of them rolled around on the floor until both were sweaty and out of breath.

“You know…..” Chanyeol said in between breaths, “what kris said back there...that wa-”

“Lies. I know. You told me right before bolting out.” Baekhyun finished. Chanyeol grew silent for a while but soon turned his head to Baekhyun. “No. He was right.” Those words hit Baekhyun like a truck and made him conscious of how close they were on the ground. “Oh, well um…..okay.” He couldn’t help but blush at how intensely Chanyeol was gazing at him. He quickly threw the blankets on top of Chanyeol but the giant wrapped his arms around Baekhyun and dragged him down causing Baekhyun to land on top of Chanyeol. Chanyeol’s steady breath fanned Baekhyun’s bangs while his firm arms encircled the small vocalist. “Just listen, okay?” Baekhyun stayed silent and still in his arms. “I know this is all very sudden. But I think I like you. Like, fell for you. Hard.”  Chanyeol’s heart quickened every second and he was pretty sure Baekhyun noticed too. “You are just...so….perfect.” This sentence was said while, Chanyeol stared directly into Baekhyun’s eyes searching for signs of disapproval. A small part of him wanted Baekhyun to push him away. He wasn’t sure why he confessed. He never loved a man. He was afraid. What if he couldn’t treat him right. He continued staring at Baekhyun, looking for answers. But the little one refused to keep eye contact. His eyes would dart down and around but never meet Chanyeol’s.

“Are you guys not coming to the club room toda- OH MY HOLINESS! Lock the door if you’re gonna get hot and heavy, Jesus!” Sehun shrieked while walking into Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s dorm room. Baekhyun was still held firm by Chanyeol around the waist while he was on top of him. The two were lying on top of blankets and both looked disheveled. Chanyeol quickly released Baekhyun’s waist and gently pushed him away but not too far. The two situated themselves. Baekhyun stood up awkwardly with eyes directed toward the floor. Chanyeol sat on the ground with a great interest in his hands.

“What’s all the fuss?” Kyungsoo asked while the other members slowly entered the room. Sehun dramatically pointed to the two, “My eyes were either blessed or scarred. I can’t tell.” Kyungsoo quizzically looked at Sehun and then at Chanyeol and Baekhyun. He noticed a sudden tension between the two roommates and wondered what could have happened in the span of thirty minutes. Kai walked in and immediately looped his arms around Kyungsoo not paying any attention to the deadly silence.

After a few minutes of everyone awkwardly walking in and noticing how silent it was when there were a bunch of teenage boys in the room Kris couldn’t take it anymore and turned around in the swivel chair, “You. what happened? I’ve been sitting in this flimsy chair for five minutes and still have no idea what’s going on. Speak Peasant.” he pointed his toe at Chanyeol’s face. Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun who was sitting on the edge of his bed staring at his hands. He was going to tell them that he confessed to Baekhyun. But the look in his eyes were full of confusion and hesitance. He thought about it for a second and quietly shook his head, “It’s nothing.” kris raised an eyebrow and frowned. “Wrong answer Chanyeol, tell me what happened.” Again Chanyeol shook his head. Kris sighed dramatically but soon wheeled himself over to Baekhyun and wrapped his arms around his neck. “So Baekhyun. You and Chanyeol huh?” Baekhyun flinched and sat up straight. “Chanyeol and I were just….discussing what…” Baekhyun trailed off while looking at Chanyeol for help. The giant noticed the desperate look in his eyes and blurted out the first thing on his mind. “Baekhyun and I were planning on a duet!” A few seconds passed for each member to slowly absorb what Chanyeol said. Soon enough they all nodded at each other and agreed on the duet. Chanyeol wanted to pat himself on the back. Good ideas don’t usually come from him.

“Wait, so you’re gonna sing as well?” Kris pointed his toe at Chanyeol again. Chanyeol slapped the toe away, “I’ve got a great voice. You should be honored to be in my presence.” Kris scoffed, “It’s the other way around doofus.” Kris chucked a pillow at Chanyeol but it landed on Sehun’s face. Sehun quickly retaliated by slamming another pillow to kris’s side and  caused him to fall of the chair. The others watched as the three boys smacked pillows into the other’s face.

“This is SPARTA!” Kris shrieked and bombarded the two with Chanyeol’s blanket. In the heat of the moment Sehun’s shoe slipped off and flew to the entrance. The door swung open at that exact moment and Baekhyun’s mother walked in just as the shoe fell in front of her. The three boys quickly stood up as the rest gave a slight bow of formality.

Baekhyun’s mother stood still and scanned the room full of boys. Her eyes landed on Chanyeol who was trying to fix his shirt after Sehun had pulled on it.

“ Good afternoon boys. I hope you all have had a chance to look over the new schedule. I came over to see the most popular act of the school.” She slowly strolled towards the boys but her eyes were trained on Chanyeol who was still trying to get his shirt buttoned correctly. “I was expecting to see a group of handsome faces but my……..you all far exceeded the term ‘handsome’, don’t you agree?” She pasted on a smile but her eyes were predatory. She stopped right in front of Chanyeol and adjusted the collar he was having trouble with.

“Oh, um, thanks, thank you.” Chanyeol awkwardly said as he stopped fumbling with his shirt. She chuckled.

“You boys will be the stars of the show at the gala two weeks from now. I expect pure awe in the audience and all of you to be there.” she walked slowly past Baekhyun but didn't look at him.

“ I've prepared proper attire but you must be there to see if it fits with your proportions. From what I can tell, many of you are a lot taller than you seem.” she stared directly at Chanyeol when she finished that sentence. Mrs. Byun closed the door and the sudden tension in the room dissipated.

“when she said you're  all very handsome, I don't even think she looked at anyone but Chanyeol.” chen said.

“Who cares who she was looking at, we have two weeks to prepare and I’m having a very hard time breathing!” Junmyeon said while clutching his chest. Lay gently pulled Junmyeon’s arm and silently told him to sit down.

“Does it have to be two weeks from now? Kai and I planned our one year anniversary on that day.” Kyungsoo said with a pleading tone. Baekhyun shook his head and sighed. “I’ve never been able to change her mind. She never listens to anyone if it doesn’t have anything to do with her.”

Chanyeol grabbed some folders and passed it over to Junmyeon who was being fanned by Lay.

“What’s this?”

“Some songs I wrote. You don’t have to use them but I thought why not haul all my ideas on the table.”

Junmyeon quickly flipped through the pages and passed on the ones that were passing to Lay. They both quietly read through the lyrics ignoring the stares of their peers.

“Um, so do I get a say in this or are the two of you just gonna spring some more songs that I’ll have to memorize by the end of the week?” Chen asked. He snatched the papers Lay had in his hand and started humming the melody.

“......Chanyeol. I want to hear this on your little ukelele or whatever.Now.” Chen ordered.

“It’s a guitar and asking nicely wouldn’t hurt.” Chanyeol said quietly while reaching for his instrument. The boys gathered around while Chanyeol tuned his guitar and started strumming. Baekhyun listened intently as he tried piecing together the lyrics. As the last notes of the song were played the rest of the group had begun pointing out some parts that could be improved on. “Can’t we make it faster?” Xiumin asked. “I think it would be cool if we could speed up some parts.

“I want it to be more electronic.” Sehun stated plainly.

“But that differs from my original entirely!” Chanyeol shrieked.

“Don’t worry Yeol, we’ll always remember that you were the one that created lyrics.” Baekhyun said in a sing- song voice. Chanyeol sighed and slowly accepted that his artwork was going to be changed and merged into something the whole group will accept.

“Alright then boys, we’re gonna destroy all competitions starting now!” Kris shouted as he pulled everyone into a tight hug.