Promise

Autumn Leaves

“Should’ve just gone to a zoo or something.” Jimin mumbled as he stood at the gate of the amusement park with the other two.

Taehyung heard that. “Scared?” He asked teasingly.

“No.” Jimin lied.

However, Jungkook was not oblivious about his best friend’s fear of heights. He took the shorter boy’s hand and held it firmly. With a kind smile, he said, “Come on, Jimin. It’ll be alright. I’ll make sure you love it.”

Jimin looked away, a faint blush visible on his cheeks. Only because it’s you, Jungkook. Only because it’s you.

After buying the tickets, the boys were inside the park. And Jimin couldn’t help but notice Taehyung’s excitement.

“Let’s go eat first! The waffles here are the best!”

“I-I don’t think that’s the best idea.” Jimin knew. He had been here with is family before. And he had learnt from experience.

“Jimin’s right. You’ll throw up everything. Let’s try the big coaster first!” Jungkook said excitedly.

“I don’t know guys…….I’ve never been on one before.” Jimin hesitated a bit. He wasn’t allowed to ride one as he was very young the first time he came here. Also rollercoasters weren’t very appealing to him. Too high, and scary too.

Taehyung audibly gasped. “Are you serious Jimin you’ve never been on a rollercoaster? Did you hear that Jungkookie? Unacceptable! Jeon Jungkook, we must enlighten this child with the experience of a rollercoaster!

Jungkook nodded, “Let’s go then.” Noticing Jimin’s nervousness, he leaned towards him, “Don’t be scared okay? Don’t worry, I’ll sit next to you.” Jimin wasn’t completely relieved by the brunette’s assuring words, but it indeed made him feel better.

Reaching the front of the line, the boys boarded the roller coaster. As they settled in the seats with their safety restraints on, the roller coaster started moving and was ascending slowly. Jungkook noticed Jimin closing his eyes tightly. He could tell how scared the poor boy was.

 Jungkook  reached out and grabbed his hand, making Jimin look at him. The brunette asked, lowering his voice, “Scared?”

Jimin gulped. He was terrified.

“Come on, Jiminie.” Jungkook squeezed his hand, “What’s the worst that could happen?”

“We could die.”

“It won’t be that bad then. At least we’ll die together.” Jungkook said as he laughed, attempting to distract Jimin from the terror that was coming soon.

“Let’s have fun.” Jungkook smiled at Jimin. And the coaster descended.

Jimin was not ready. He held onto Kookie’s hand for dear life. Jimin could hear Jungkook letting out shrieks of excitement and Taehyung screaming his head off, while he himself was too scared to make a sound. The ear piercing screams of all the thrill seekers behind and in front of him, his adrenaline glands boosted in full throttle, as his body was shaking from the twists, turns and loops. The excitement consumed him, it felt as if his brain refused to function.

As the ride came to an end, the boys could feel their body still in motion, their feet wobbly. Taehyung and Jungkook came out laughing, while Jimin was still holding on to the brunette. He regretted it, without a doubt.

“That was so cool oh my god!” Taehyung exclaimed. “Let’s try something else!”

“What do you suggest?” Jimin said, trying to catch his breath.

“To the carousel!!”

“Don’t you think you’re too old for it?” the idea of riding the carousel seemed quite childish to Jimin.

And Taehyung replied instantly, “Shut up old man we’re here to have fun!”

“Let’s go!!” Taehyung lead the pack, he was determined to make the best of his theme park experience.

Jimin didn’t care. He came for Jungkook. And for the food.

Bumper cars, log rides, the haunted mansion, spinning teacups, the list goes on and on. Jimin was starting to enjoy the day. The rides were becoming less scary, he actually had fun in the bumper cars. Being with Jungkook was very comforting, he made him feel less scared.

The trio were really tired from all the rides. They bought snacks and sat down on a bench. They were having waffles and ice cream.

“Jiminie I thought you didn’t like strawberry ice cream.” Jungkook asked while his vanilla flavoured one.

“It’s not bad I think.” Jimin mumbled. “I prefer vanilla actually.”

“Here , take a bite.” Jungkook offered, which made Jimin quite surprised.

“You sure?” He asked.

“Yeah. Only if you share yours with me.” Jungkook winked.

Park Jimin was not the kind of person who would share food with his friends, especially ice cream. But saying Jungkook a friend would be an understatement, so Jimin didn’t mind.

“Jiminie.”

“Hmm?” he replied, his attention completely on his ice cream.

Jungkook slowly reached out and touched his silky pink locks while smiling, “Your hair, it matches your ice cream.”

Jimin was startled by the brunette’s behavior. Even though, he returned the smile, “Good observation.”

“say Jimin, why did you dye your hair in a flashy color like this?” Taehyung asked curiously.

“Well………I like pink……” Jimin didn’t have any particular reason. He just thought it would look nice. Pink was a colour he really liked, but unfortunately, his hair color just made him stand out which was quite uncomfortable for an introverted person like him.

“It suits you.” Said Jungkook.

A small complement, sweet and unexpected. Jimin blushed, “Th-thank you.”

“Why are you two getting all lovey dovey geez…..” Jimin’s bliss was over when he heard Taehyung’s laugh. His face got even redder, “Shut up taehyung.”

“Guys guys,” Jungkook attempted to take the conversation in a different route. “I think we should head home it’s getting dark.”

“Already? But……” Jimin couldn’t remember the last time he had this much fun outside. He didn’t want the day to be over so quick.

“Yaa Jungkookie we haven’t even tried the giant wheel yet!” Taehyung whined.

“Okay then. After the ferris wheel we head home.”

 

“Woaahh this is so cool!” Taehyung couldn’t hide his excitement as they reached the top. The boys were mesmerized by the view below them. Jimin couldn’t utter a single word. He was amazed, he was scared, but he couldn’t look away from the scenery below.

And unbeknownst to Jimin, Jeon Jungkook had found something more beautiful than the view down there. Rays of the evening sun glistening in his pink hair, eyes filled with astonishment, jungkook stared in awe. He didn’t know humans could be this beautiful. His heart felt warm. This feeling, whatever it was, was something he longed for. That day, jungkook made a promise to himself.

He promised to stay by the ones he loved. Always, no matter what.