Kookie

Autumn Leaves

“Namjoon hyung didn’t come?”

“He’s still recovering.”

“I’m gonna visit him this afternoon.” Jimin mumbled, his voice showing concern for his favorite hyung’s roommate. He’s been feverish for the past two days.

As the boys entered the school building, Park Jimin froze.

“Ah, hyung, I’ll get going then.”

Yoongi was a little surprised by Jimin’s sudden rush, but they had to part ways anyway so he just let him go.

Jimin was nervous. Being an overall shy person, initiating a conversation was hard for him. So he just decided to observe his childhood friend from a distance.

Puberty hit Jungkook like a truck. He’s way taller now. Manlier too. Teenage Jeon Jungkook looked nothing like the cute kid Jimin knew ten years ago. Except for his smile. It was the one thing that didn’t change a bit.

Jungkook was walking toward his class, his hands in his pockets. Jimin was following behind, maintaining a small distance.

Jimin’s mind was clouded with so many thoughts. Should I go talk to him? He won’t mind right? He did come to me yesterday………it’s gonna be fine I think……

“Jungkookie!!”

Ah. Jimin stopped.

“Tae!! What’s up man?”

It’s okay. Things are different now, aren’t they? It’s been a while after all. I think I should just…….let him be……

During break time, as Jimin was leaving the washroom, a familiar figure blocked his way.

“You still don’t remember me?”

Jimin glanced at the taller boy.This sudden encounter made him nervous.

Avoiding eye contact, Jimin laughed uncomfortably, “Of course I do.”

Jungkook took a step forward. Getting closer, he leaned toward Jimin.

“Really? Why do you avoid me then?”

Too close! Jimin started sweating. He took a step back, his back now touching the wall.

“Th-that’s not true at all, Jungkook.”

“Hmm? What did you call me?”Jungkook came even closer, his face inches before Jimin’s.

Oh god. Why is he being like this? Jimin gulped.

Suddenly, the brunette retreated. Looking the other way, he sighed. “Jiminie…….you really have forgotten me…….”

“Come on don’t say that now…..”

“Jungkook? Seriously? Did you really just call me that?”

Being confused, Jimin asked, “I can’t call you by your name?”

Jungkook pouted, “Is that what you used to call me, jiminie?”

Ah, that’s right .Jimin smiled toward the taller. “Sorry, Kookie.”

Jungkook smiled brightly. “That’s more like it.”

 

“So you two used to be best friends?” Taehyung asked.

“Used to be? Don’t say it like that tae………”

The three of them were heading home together. Jungkook and taehyung were chatting while Jimin walked in silence.

“It’s hard to imagine Jimin having friends though,” said Taehyung.”He barely talks.”

“Oh he’ll talk.” Jungkook playfully nudged Jimin, “now that I’m here.”

Jimin smiled a little. He still couldn’t get over the awkwardness around these two.

Finally, Jimin decided to talk. “Kookie, where are you living right now?”

“Two blocks away from you, same as back then.”

“I see.”

Jimin stopped. They had reached his home.

“Come visit sometimes, will ya?” Said Jungkook.

Jimin nodded, “Yeah.”

 

“You’re still here?”

Hoseok asked his friend Yoongi, “Class ended half an hour ago.”

“I’m waiting for Jimin.”

“I saw him going home with Taehyung and another kid. He didn’t tell you?”

Yoongi looked the other way, “No, apparently.”