the way things were

Autumn Leaves

“Kookie…….I-I’m not sure about this……….”

Jimin said from a couple feet above the ground,”I’m scared.”

“Aish Jiminie…...” The seven year old Jungkook nodded in disappointment. ”Don’t be such a crybaby now.” Jungkook said from a higher branch, hanging upside down.

It was a peaceful afternoon in fall. The wind was chilly yet comforting. Dry orange leaves covered the path. Little Kookie had declared that the coolest thing in the entire universe was discovered by him and Jimin would totally miss out if he didn’t come with him to see it. Jungkook always had little Chim’s faith, so without arguing any further Jimin tagged along with Kookie to see what great hidden treasure he had found this time.

But apparently our little Jiminie had forgotten that every adventurer must overcome many hardships to reach his destination. He was terrified of heights. Hanging on the tree, he thought his soul was going to leave his body.

Seeing Jimin tremble with fear, Kookie sat up. “Here, I’ll help you up.”

Jimin grabbed his hand. Jungkook was stronger than most boys his age, while Jimin was quite underweight. He pulled up smol Jiminie without much effort.

“What’s the thing you wanted to show me Kookie?” Jimin asked curiously. His eyes were bright and full of admiration. What surprise is it gonna be this time? The brunette never failed to amaze him.

“Look at this!” Jungkook pointed at his great discovery, a small bird nest with three bluish eggs in it.

“It’s a bird’s nest isn’t it?”

“Yeah! Look at the color! They’re blue!”

Jungkook and Jimin were at the age when even the simplest, most obvious thing in the world would seem absolutely astonishing. To their young hearts, the world seemed complex, full of surprises. And they had taken it upon themselves to unfold all the mysteries they could, one by one.

“So pretty! I’ve never seen blue eggs before!”Jimin said excitedly, his black locks reflecting the sunshine, creating an illusion which made it seem like he was glowing with happiness.

“I haven’t either,” Kookie said, excited and proud to see the look of admiration in Jimin’s eyes.

“When will the baby birds come out Kookie?”

“I don’t know.” Jungkook said while climbing down the tree. Suddenly it seemed like he had lost all interest in any matter regarding the bird nest. As if he had fulfilled a mission, his work accomplished and it was time to find something newer, more amazing, something that would take his best friend’s breath away.

“KOOKIE!! Where do you think you’re going??” little Jimin called out from the top of the tree.

“I’m going home.” Jungkook stated bluntly. “Why?”

“What do you mean why??” Jimin’s knees were trembling, he was terrified, “How do I get down from here??”

“I don’t know.” Said Jungkook, not showing the slightest concern for the boy stuck on the tree. Putting his hands in his shorts’ pockets he turned around to head back home.

“KOOKIE!!” Jimin cried out again. His eyes filled with tears, voice cracked. “Don’t leave me here.”

Jungkook sighed. Taking a step closer toward the tree, he held out his arms.

“Jump.”

“What did you say??” Jimin couldn’t believe his ears. He was standing nearly six feet above the ground. In his opinion, he’d definitely die if he jumped from that height.

“Jump Jimin.” Jungkook said again, being as expressionless as always. ”I’ll catch you.”

Jimin was not buying it. “I-I can’t……….it’s too h-high………I’m scared…….”

“Jimin,” Jungkook’s  voice sincere, his lips forming a reassuring smile, “Trust me.”

Jimin trusted him alright. No matter what he said to Kookie, deep down he was willing to follow him till the end of the world. Kookie was Jimin’s best friend after all, his only friend. Who else was he supposed to trust?

Jiminie closed his eyes, took a deep breath…….and jumped.

Jungkook caught him immediately, but couldn’t handle the momentum. Both of them fell on the ground. The dry leaves on the ground didn’t let the boys get hurt. They started laughing uncontrollably, like the kids they were.

Two seven year old boys who resembled angels fallen from the heaven, rolling around on the ground like they were having the most beautiful moment in life. Sunlight was peeking through the brownish leaves. The boys fit in perfectly with the comforting beauty of the nature. It was, truly, a moment of bliss.

Heading home Jimin was following Jungkook’s footsteps as always. He really looked up to his best friend. His beaming confidence, his adventurous nature, his attitude………everything, everything about him amazed little Jiminie so much.

“Kookie.”

Jungkook turned his head, “Hmm?”

“Let’s come here again someday, when the babies hatch.”

Jungkook nodded and smiled, “Hmm!”

 

But life goes on.

 

Jungkooks family moved away the next summer. For the first time in his life, Jimin realized the terror of isolation.

But he learned to live with it. To live without Jungkook. He wasn’t able to fill up the void Jungkook had left with new friends. Rather, he embraced his solitude with a smile. He didn’t forget Jungkook. He couldn’t. To him, Jungkook became a memory, a very pleasant memory.

Jungkook was Jimin’s world. By leaving Jimin, Jungkook gave him a chance to be independent. To be himself, to love himself. An opportunity to embrace the new beginning.

Just like autumn leaves. The leaves that fall off, giving up their place to welcome the new ones. But Jimin couldn’t move on. Without even realizing it, his life got confined in an eternal winter.