Love Cherry Motion

A Strange Kind of Magic: Days of Summer

DAY THIRTY-NINE

 

Choi Yerim, better known as Choerry by her friends, was having a lot of fun. She’d somehow managed to rope the rest of Loona into a Quidditch game, with modified rules. There were only eleven of them, so they’d had to make do. Haseul had volunteered for the referee position, and the other girls chose their own positions gladly. Choerry volunteered to be team leader for one team, since she was the only member of Loona on an actual Quidditch. Sure, she was only a beater, but experience was experience. Jungeun was the other leader by popular vote. They took turns choosing who would be on their team. Choerry chose Jinsoul first. That made Jungeun mad. She chose Sooyoung. And so they went. Choerry’s team consisted of herself, Jinsoul, Hyunjin, Vivi, and Yeojin. Jungeun, Sooyoung,Jiwoo, Chaewon and Heejin comprised the other team.

 

Choerry decided to show off with a little bit of trash talk. “That’s quite a team you have there, Jungeun. Do you really think you can get to a hundred-fifty before we can?” Jungeun rolled her eyes. “It isn’t that serious, Choerry. You’re the only that’s really invested in this game.” Jiwoo raised her hand. “I’m invested!” She smiled brightly. Choerry smiled back.

 

Jungeun shrugged. “Whatever, let’s just get this game started before we have to go back inside.”

 

Choerry grinned. “You always like to pretend you’re so cool, Jungeun, but it’s not true. I know you.” She tapped the side of her head with one finger. Jungeun ignored her and summoned her broomstick into her hand.

 

“Yeah, okay.”

 

Choerry made her way over to Yeojin’s side. The girl seemed to be struggling with her broomstick. “You need help?” Yeojin shook her head. “My broom doesn’t like me very much. Also, I’ve never played Quidditch before.”

 

Choerry patted Yeojin on the back. “I’ll keep an eye on you. Make sure you don’t get too lost.”

 

Yeojin smiled. “Thanks. I appreciate it.”

 

They lined up their broomsticks and waited for Haseul’s go. The girl unbuckled the balls at her own, leisurely pace. She held the reddish-brown quaffle in her hand. Her eyes gave the assembled girls a once-over. “We're trying to have fun here. Please don't go overboard.” She looked directly at Choerry. Choerry winked. Haseul shook her head and tossed the quaffle up into the air with one hand.

 

The game had begun!

 

Jinsoul, Hyunjin and Vivi rushed towards the ball, as chasers were wont to do. On the other team, Jiwoo, Chaewon and Jungeun reacted similarly. But Choerry was more focused on the other two balls that had been released from the case: The Bludgers. They were dangerous little mischief-makers, just like her. They were meant to add chaos and uncertainty to any game of Quidditch- two things that Choerry was very adept at causing.

 

The bludgers flew up as a pair and then split off, one at each team. The one that came for Choerry’s team rushed straight at Vivi. Vivi continued chasing after the quaffle, unaware of the imminent danger she was in. Choerry had eyes like a hawk--maybe that should have been her animagus form instead of some kind of bat. Speaking of bats, she hefted her own piece of wood in one hand. Quick as ever, she zoomed to Vivi’s side. The older girl’s hands closed around the Quaffle just as the bludger got within range. Choerry knocked it back with a loud crack, sending the bludger careening towards Jiwoo.  Vivi looked over her shoulder in amazement. Choerry tipped an imaginary hat and pulled back and up on her broom, trying to get a better view of the playing field.

 

The bludger she'd saved Vivi from had hit Jiwoo in the back, knocking the girl off of her broom and onto the floor. Choerry didn't feel the slightest bit guilty. Haseul helped Jiwoo up and tossed an elephant-stopping  in Choerry’s direction. Choerry shrugged. What can you do?

 

She didn't notice the other bludger until it was too late. The dark black ball raced past her and towards...Yeojin! The younger girl was playing Keeper for this little game...if she went down, they all went down. Choerry a dime and raced after the devil-ball. She wasn't going to let herself lose this game. Not after the big game she'd just talked earlier.

 

The bludger was inches away now, but it was still faster. Damn this stupid old broom!  She just needed a little bit more...just…

 

The second bludger hit her across the back, knocking her off of her broom. She tumbled through empty air, fingers grasping at nothing until they caught hold of her trusty broom. She wasn't out of the game just yet, but there was no chance she was going to be able to save her. Yeojin was too busy watching Choerry fall to even notice the bludger. The ball smashed into the side of her head with a loud crack.

 

Choerry gasped.

 

Yeojin’s eyes rolled up into the back of her head and she fell onto her broomstick face-first. Blood trickled down the side of her face. The bludger continued to zoom about, but no one was paying any attention anymore.

 

Haseul screamed. Choerry pulled herself back onto her broomstick. She felt like total crap. She'd pushed everyone into this and now Yeojin was hurt. Really, seriously hurt.

 

Choerry raced to Yeojin’s side and pulled her onto her broomstick. It was a short trip down to the bottom, where everyone was waiting for them.

 

Heejin looked apologetic as hell. “Oh god. I hit that bludger. I didn't want… I didn’t mean to…” Haseul squeezed her shoulder. “It's okay, Heejin. Nobody meant for this to happen...we just have to figure out what to do.”

 

Choerry carefully lowered Yeojin onto the grass and tapped her on the face. No response. She tried again. “Yeojin? I'm really gonna need you to wake up now… I can't… “ Choerry shook her head.

 

Yeojin groaned. “What happened?” Choerry gasped and clutched the sides of Yeojin’s head. She kissed Yeojin on the lips. Yeojin coughed and sputtered. “Ew! What the heck was that for?”

 

Choerry grinned. “You're beautiful! Absolutely beautiful!”

 

Haseul pushed Choerry off of Yeojin with a glare. “We're gonna talk about this later. Hey, Yeojin, you just got hit in the head by a bludger. I'm gonna go take you to get that looked at, okay?”

 

Yeojin mumbled. “I’m f-fine...ow...okay, yeah, let's go.”

 

Haseul draped an arm over the girl's shoulders and the two of them walked off the field. Choerry sighed in relief. Jungeun looked livid, but apparently she decided against giving Choerry a reaming.

 

She knew she deserved it. She had been an idiot, bringing live bludgers to a casual game. But she’d wanted to show off her skills. And now Yeojin was hurt. It was only a minor injury, thank the goddess, but it was avoidable.

 

And next time, the consequences might not be so easily brushed off