Chapter 2

I'll shine on you

“This will be your room, originally it was going to be Jongdae’s but he shares mine. We just keep that bed for whenever we have guests” Kyungsoo said opening the window’s blinds. 

 

The room had a good size. It was definitely bigger than the one he had to share with other three dog hybrids back at the shelter and also he has his own space here. There’s a tiny bed by the window, where Kyungsoo is changing the sheets and smoothing the fabric. There’s a wardrobe on the other corner and a small table by the bed. It looks comfy, and Baekhyun is really loving it. He enters the room and slides his hand on the surface of the table which is free from dust. It looks like someone cleans the room often.

 

When he is done with the new sheets, Kyungsoo arranges the pillows and turns towards Baekhyun. “Do you like it? If there’s anything you find that bothers you or there’s anything you need you can let me know”

 

“I love it. I really don’t know how to thank you. This is way more than I had expected” said the puppy hybrid taking a seat in the newly made bed. Kyungsoo saw how shiny his eyes looked, like he was about to cry. He decided to take a seat besides Baekhyun and put an arm on his back rubbing small circles.

 

“I really think this will work out. Jongdae is a bit stubborn but it’s because he rarely has to interact with new people. He is just confused because he doesn’t know how our relationship can change with someone else in the house but I will make sure he understands nothing has to change. Just try to understand him. Can you do this for me?”

 

The puppy smiled towards Kyungsoo while nodding. A tiny teardrop escaped the corner of his eye but Kyungsoo knew it was because he was really happy. The puppy had a really cute smile. He still couldn’t understand how he had never gotten adopted, he had to ask Chanyeol a bit more about it. Also he had to call Chanyeol to tell him that Baekhyun had arrived safely. His friend had insisted on accompanying them but Kyungsoo had refused. He didn’t want to overwhelm Jongdae with more people than he needed in his territory. It was bad enough that he had brought another hybrid without telling him anything.

 

Kyungsoo stood up and went to open the wardrobe. “Here you can hang the clothes you brought. If you need more hangers just come to my room that is at the other side of the corridor. Now I will leave you so you can get comfortable, but don’t hesitate to come out to explore the rest of the house. I will call you when dinner is ready” And with that, Baekhyun was left alone in his new room. 

 

He decided to unpack his small amount of belongings right away. He decided to leave all his toys back at the shelter for the other puppy hybrids. He wanted them to have something more to play with. The only things he brought were 3 pants and 5 shirts plus his underwear. He didn’t have a lot of things, actually his clothes were mostly hand-me-downs from other hybrids that had left the shelter before him. That was some kind of rule at the shelter. Leave everything you think you won’t need so the remaining hybrids can take advantage of it. 

 

He got tired from all the emotions bubbling inside him. Excitement of having a new home, fear of getting accepted by Jongdae, happiness from having his own space, sadness from leaving behind some of his friends. So he decided to take a nap with the background noise of Jongdae and Kyungsoo clashing pots and laughing in the kitchen. He still couldn’t believe there’s a possibility he will finally have a family.

 

He had been napping for probably an hour when he started waking up because of the delicious smell coming from the door. His eyes fluttered open and he let out a high pitched scream when he was met with a pair of big eyes staring down at him. This, in turn, made the cat jump away while hissing scared. Was the cat planning on killing him on his sleep or something?

 

“You scared me!” the cat said while standing up from the floor where he had fallen on his .

 

“Look who's talking! I was not the one staring creepily while you slept” Baekhyun replied rearranging his new bed’s sheets. Jongdae seemed to be ashamed at the mention of his actions earlier and his face turned a really dark shade of red while he began sputtering.

 

“A-anyways! Dinner is ready so you should come and help me serve! Kyungsoo will get out of the bath soon and he likes to eat right after” the cat said walking out of the room with his tail moving behind him. Well, that was weird. And creepy. And that was the reason Baekhyun never associated with the cat hybrids in the shelter. He went to the mirror on the wardrobe to arrange his hair a bit before going to the kitchen to help serve the diner.

 

On the other hand, Jongdae who was already at the kitchen, was hitting his head against the fridge’s door.

 

“Stupid! Stupid! What were you even thinking!” he was ashamed. He didn’t know what got into him. He was supposed to go to the pup’s bedroom and just knock to call him over for diner, but when he received no answer he decided to enter and found him sleeping in his bed. Curiosity got the better of him and he got nearer to observe him. The puppy was cute, he couldn’t deny it. If he was a feline he would be cuter though, in Jongdae’s opinion of course. And when he was sleeping he was not so bad, he didn’t have that annoying smile that he hated the moment he saw him at the main door. But now, after getting caught staring he was really ashamed. There was no way he could justify himself.

 

He was so distracted wallowing in self pity he didn’t hear the puppy enter the kitchen until he cleared his throat to announce his presence. Jongdae looked at him still holding to the fridge’s door and quickly turned around to start explaining where the dishes and glasses were. 

 

Meanwhile Baekhyun was trying really hard not to laugh at the huge red mark adorning the hybrid’s forehead while trying to follow all he was saying.

 

Just in that moment, Kyungsoo decided to enter the kitchen, gaping at the sight of both hybrids talking and working together. He was afraid of following their combined voices in the kitchen and find Jongdae shouting at Baekhyun or something. “I have to say I’m surprised, I was not expecting both of you to be in the same room together without me having to force you” he said trying to grab one of the plates to help them. At this, Jongdae slapped his hand lightly with a spatula.

 

“No, no. You go and take a seat. I have this!” the hybrid shouted while pushing Kyungsoo out of the kitchen. Kyungsoo, in turn, mouthed a small ‘thankyou’ which had Jongdae blushing before exiting the kitchen and taking a seat on the dining room.

 

Baekhyun started taking the served plates to the table on the other room, while Jongdae continued serving the drinks and side dishes. When he put the plates in front of Kyungsoo he caught his smile, returning it and making a small bow with a wink. Kyungsoo laughed at this and gave him a thumbs up. He was really happy seeing Baekhyun fitting just fine in one of their daily routines. 

 

After everything was served, the two hybrids took a seat too. Jongdae taking the one next to Kyungsoo and glaring when Baekhyun made a move to seat besides him, making the puppy take a seat on the other side of Kyungsoo. Well, he didn’t really expect everything would be good since day 1. He had to start getting Jongdae’s trust little by little, and he was willing to wait for it.