Chapter 9

I'll shine on you

The lunch was at a small restaurant three blocks away from the apartment. Jongdae had been observing Baekhyun ever since they went out the main entrance giggling quietly behind his scarf at the look the pup was giving to everything. At first, Baekhyun had dashed out the door when he saw the white powder falling from the sky, almost slipping on the pavement if not for Jongdae’s hand that shot out holding him upright. He had been fascinated by the cold drops that melted as soon as they touched his gloved hands.

 

Since he hadn’t been out for a while he also was a danger in the zebra crossings, almost getting himself rolled over when he didn’t see the walking light wasn’t on yet. Jongdae had sighed, putting his arm around Baekhyun’s and dragging the pup close to himself so he wouldn’t run off suddenly and get killed or something. Totally not because he was worried, he was making sure he was safe because Kyungsoo would be sad if something happened to Baekhyun.

 

They arrived to the tiny shop, taking off their coats and shoes at the entrance and going towards a little corner. Jongdae’s friend still hadn’t arrived so they decided to sit on opposite sides of the table while waiting. 

 

The waitress came over to leave the menus, glancing secretly to both Jongdae’s and Baekhyun’s tags. Jongdae didn’t seem to notice since he was already absorbed reading the different dishes the restaurant offered, but Baekhyun quietly touched his tag as if to make sure it was really there and he didn’t forget it anywhere. Baekhyun began to look at the menu, it was a traditional korean restaurant so he knew what most of the stuff they were selling was. He was interrupted by Jongdae’s voice.

 

“Minseok should be arriving soon now. He just sent me a message. He is my hybrid friend, older than both of us and his owner is good friends with Kyungsoo so sometimes he will be visiting the apartment” Baekhyun nodded nervously. It was one thing meeting Jongdae’s friend, but he was meeting Jongdae and Kyungsoo’s really close friend. So that meant that he had to make a really good first impression. Jongdae probably saw how he tensed after his words because he chuckled lightly patting Baekhyun’s hand “Don’t worry about it. He’s really nice. Way nicer than me at least”

 

“You’re nice too” Baekhyun said quietly. He saw Jongdae’s raised eyebrow but didn’t say anything more. They continued looking at the menu when the doorbell rang and Jongdae glanced at the entrance, a curvy smile appearing on his lips. Baekhyun turned back too, looking at the hybrid that had just gotten inside the restaurant. 

 

He was short, probably same size as him and Jongdae. He had a really cute round face and sharp eyes. On top of his head were two striped orange ears covered with snow. Minseok looked towards the table and waved when he saw his friend, his eyes drifting towards the pup and smiling brightly towards him. Baekhyun was shocked by the other’s pretty smile, frozen in place, and Jongdae elbowed him huffing under his breath. When Minseok finally got to the table he took the seat next to Jongdae, ruffling the cat’s hair and then offering his hand to Baekhyun.

 

“Hello! I’m Kim Minseok, nice to meet you!” Baekhyun took his hand, shaking it and trying to smile shyly towards the newcomer. 

 

“I’m Baekhyun, thanks for letting me get lunch with you both” Jongdae seemed to be satisfied with the exchange, picking up his menu again.

 

“Don’t even mention it. I was really curious about the cute Baekhyun Jongdae always mentioned this last week” Minseok said laughing ignoring how flushed his friend turned when he heard what Minseok said.

 

“Yah! Don’t put words in my mouth!” Jongdae said slapping Minseok’s arm repeatedly, which only made him laugh harder. Baekhyun smiled at the exchange, not taking the opportunity to make fun of the cat. He was definitely liking this Minseok guy.

 

“So, I heard from Jongdae you got adopted yesterday? I actually went with him a couple of days ago to buy the collar with him. I was surprised Jongdae chose such a flashy color but it looks really nice on you” Minseok said touching Baekhyun’s collar. Baekhyun flinched slightly, not used to strangers touching him so comfortably on the first meeting. Minseok seemed to notice it so he dropped his hand smiling silently.

 

“Yes! We had a small party yesterday night” Baekhyun said smiling. At that moment the waitress came back, taking their orders and going away again.

 

“Well congratulations! Now that you have a tag we definitely have to hang out more. Also expect me at your apartment sometimes, since my owner Joonmyun is good friends with Kyungsoo and Jongdae too”

 

“I’d be happy if you can invite me out. I don’t really have friends around so I can’t go out often” Baekhyun said scratching his neck. Jongdae perked up at that, being previously absorbed by something on his phone.

 

“Then what am I? Just a random roommate?” Jongdae said angry, slamming the phone on the table. Baekhyun flinched looking at the cat hybrid.

 

“We are f-friends?” He asked dumbfounded. He thought the cat didn’t even consider him a roommate yet. Maybe just a random stray staying at his house.

 

“You’d better be! I’m not letting random dogs stay over just because” Minseok chuckled at the exchange, punching Jongdae’s shoulder lightly who growled in exchange, and sending a weird smile to Baekhyun who just laughed in response.

 

“Ok then. I’m looking forward to going out more with you” He flashed a toothy smile. Jongdae blushed, getting lost in his phone again. Probably texting Kyungsoo.

 

The food arrived and they continued chatting while eating. Minseok talking about his and Jongdae’s childhood, while Jongdae tried closing Minseok’s mouth everytime the hybrid was about to reveal something too personal. Baekhyun was laughing all the time, almost choking on his food at some things Minseok said. It looks like both cat hybrids had been friends for a while. Kyungsoo went to high school with Joonmyun and that’s when all of them met. He was really happy, enjoying his meal and chatting with friends. Probably before the shelter the only friend he truly had was Chanyeol. And even then it was hard to get too close since the other was a human. He felt comfortable now.

 

After a couple hours Minseok said it was time to go. He needed to go and pick up some stuff for Joonmyun on his way home. They got up from the table and said their goodbyes, going in different directions.

 

On the way back Jongdae decided to pick some dessert from a nearby shop. It was the first time Baekhyun had entered a candy shop and his eyes were looking everywhere.

 

“You can pick whatever you want, just choose a bag and drop the candies there..” Even before Jongdae finished speaking Baekhyun had darted away to pick a bag and start carefully choosing his candies. Jongdae laughed lightly at the over excited puppy. Who knew he was such a fan of candies? Jongdae made a mental note to take him the again soon.

 

When they were done they went to the register to pay for it. Baekhyun’s bag overflowing with different colors of gummies and Jongdae carrying two smaller bags for Kyungsoo and himself. “You’re going to get sick with all those candies… You’d better not eat everything in one day” Jongdae said giving the card to the cashier.

 

“Whatever mom, I know how to control myself” Baekhyun said picking up all of the bags out of Jongdae’s arms.

 

“Sure looks like it” the cat grinned, glancing at the overly large candy bag. Baekhyun huffed, going out of the store first, a giggling Jongdae following from behind.