Chapter 5

I'll shine on you

When Kyungsoo arrived to the apartment that afternoon he was afraid of going upstairs and opening the door to find a disaster zone or something equally as scary. Jongdae had sent his usual string of texts earlier asking him to bring some pastries when he came home and informing him that he had ‘helped the dog’ with the clothing ordering. Kyungsoo had made sure to pick up Jongdae’s favorite strawberry shortcake and he chose a red velvet piece for Baekhyun too. He was not sure what the puppy liked yet, but he was determined to find out hopefully soon. 

 

He took the elevator, the closer he got the more nervous he started feeling. He started sweating and had to wipe his forehead a couple of times with a handkerchief. He opened the door to his apartment but waited outside for a couple of minutes. His hand was over the knob, but he wasn’t sure he wanted to enter yet. He was about to close it and go for a stroll when he heard a shout from the inside.

 

“Are you just going to stand there or are you coming inside! You look stupid, come quickly!” Right, of course Jongdae must have known he was there. The cat could smell him even when he was just getting out of the elevator. And now he just felt ashamed for being caught. He opened the door slowly, peeking around the corner and being met with Jongdae’s face staring at him.

 

“Finally! Probably you would have slept out there tonight if I didn’t say anything!” the cat said opening the door the rest of the way. Kyungsoo scratched his neck and laughed lightly. Caught!

 

When the door was finally closed, Jongdae took the bag with the cakes and deposited them safely on the floor before jumping over Kyungsoo and hugging him energetically. 

 

“Did you miss me? You missed me a lot right? How was your day?” Kyungsoo tried getting him off of him but being unable to escape his strong grip. He scratched Jongdae’s ear before giving a small peck to his forehead. “Of course I didn’t miss you. I have to see your ugly face everyday” Jongdae pouted at him, tightening his hold until Kyungsoo surrendered. “Fine! Fine! I missed you, I love you! Now let me breathe!” Jongdae smiled, giving Kyungsoo’s lips a small kiss before taking the cakes and running away. “Be careful! And wait for me before you start eating!” He sighed because he knew Jongdae was not listening to him anymore. He started taking off his shoes when he saw Baekhyun hovering by the end of the corridor, probably came out to see what all the noise was about.

 

Kyungsoo smiled motioning for him to get close with his hand. Baekhyun obeyed, lowering his head a little bit to allow Kyungsoo to pull gently on his ears. “How was today? He didn’t give you any problems, did he?” Kyungsoo asked taking off his coat and pulling up his sleeves. 

 

“Umm he was actually really nice? I don’t know if I should be scared or something” Baekhyun said in a low voice, afraid that Jongdae could overhear them. 

 

Kyungsoo laughed at that, punching Baekhyun’s shoulder lightly. “I told you he wouldn’t attack you or anything, the worst he can do is ignore you, but it looks like that’s not the case?” Baekhyun’s cheeks tinted a little bit at this, and Kyungsoo smirked noticing the puppy’s expression. “Anyways, I brought cake. Let’s go and eat before Jongdae eats everything”

 

When they arrived to the kitchen they found that Jongdae had already started on his piece of cake. Kyungsoo filled a couple of glasses with milk and heated them while Baekhyun took a seat and started serving the other two pieces.

 

“I brought the red velvet cake for you, since I was not sure what flavors you liked. It’s the one with the blue box, but if you don’t like it you can get my lemon pie slice” Kyungsoo said taking a seat after giving one glass to each hybrid. Jongdae glanced at Baekhyun’s cake, curious on what his owner had chosen for him.

 

“I actually had never had cake, so I don’t know what is my favorite flavor either” Baekhyun said laughing a little bit, not noticing the shocked stares he was receiving from Jongdae and Kyungsoo. 

 

Turns out Baekhyun loved the red velvet cake, eating it quickly. After just one piece of it he got hooked on the icing’s sweet taste. “This is really good! It may become my new favorite!” He said joking a little bit.

 

“I will try to bring different flavors so you can start deciding which ones do you like, how about it?” offered Kyungsoo. Baekhyun just nodded, enjoying the combination of the sweetness of the cake with the warm milk. He was surprised when suddenly a spoonful of cake was put in front of his mouth. He followed the hand connecting to Jongdae, whose face was a bit red while staring at Baekhyun. Kyungsoo remained silent, trying to understand the exchange before intervening.

 

“You should try the best cake flavor! You can’t go around saying red velvet is your favorite if you have never tried the strawberry shortcake!” Jongdae said waving the spoon closer to Baekhyun. The puppy opened his mouth and Jongdae immediately fed it to him, waiting for a reaction to the flavor. “So? How is it? Better right??”

 

Baekhyun nodded excitedly. “It’s good! Better than red velvet!” Jongdae seemed to be satisfied by this answer, looking proud of making Baekhyun discover the wonderful world of strawberry shortcakes. They continued eating their pieces of cake in silence, Kyungsoo looking from Jongdae to Baekhyun with an amused smile. He didn’t want to say anything in case he would break the comfortable atmosphere.

 

Jongdae disappeared after finishing his cake, coming back some minutes later with the laptop and taking a seat over Kyungsoo’s lap to show him the screen. Baekhyun decided to pick up the containers and serve some more glasses of milk, sitting besides Kyungsoo to see what Jongdae was getting excited about.

 

“Look at the new clothes I bought! Aren’t they the cutest?” He said while scrolling down on his order’s page. So that’s what he had been doing after he left Baekhyun, he probably added a couple more items for himself before submitting the whole order. 

 

“I thought you helped Baekhyun to pick some clothes for him? And are you trying to get rid of my clothes by filling our closet with yours?” Kyungsoo said trying to gain the control of the laptop to look at the clothes better.

 

“I would be doing you a favor if you toss your boring black pants and shirts out, no one wants to see you in them!” the cat said pouting, leaving Kyungsoo to scroll over the items. “And I did buy Baekhyun’s stuff too! It’s at the bottom!” Baekhyun’s ears perked at this. It was the first time Jongdae had called his name! His tail began wagging and he unconsciously started smiling. “I added some more stuff that I liked since he picked too little” 

 

“Did you pick out a jacket? It’s going to get colder soon” Kyungsoo replied after looking at the items with a satisfied smile, at least Baekhyun’s clothes were not as...bright… as his kitten’s choices. Baekhyun didn’t know why he needed a jacket though, he was not going out of the house anytime soon without a tag. “Of course I did, dummy” Jongdae pinched Kyungsoo’s nose and picked up the laptop to take to the bedroom again. That left Kyungsoo and Baekhyun alone in the kitchen.

 

“Was the style of the clothes to your liking? If you want to try new brands later just let me know. I can ask Chanyeol to suggest some or you can surf the internet by yourself. I know Jongdae’s choices are always a bit unique” Baekhyun laughed a bit , because it was true that some of the options he saw where probably only to be used on a runway, not for streetwear. “They are ok, they had different options so I could choose things I liked. Thank you so much for buying things for me” 

 

Kyungsoo caressed Baekhyun’s cheek lightly, smiling down at the puppy “Don’t even mention it. I love to spend my money on my hybrids, and now you’re mine too. So whatever you need just ask me” he said standing up after. Kyungsoo drank the rest of the milk before going towards the entrance of the kitchen. “I’ll take a bath and answer some e-mails in my room. I will tell Jongdae to buy diner from the store downstairs so we can watch a movie together later or something”

 

Baekhyun stayed seated at the kitchen’s chair. He covered his face with his hands and giggled uncontrollably.