Chapter 1

I'll shine on you

Jongdae had been taking a nap near the living room window when he heard faintly the sound of keys opening the main door. It was his every day tradition going to receive Kyungsoo when he came back from work, and today would be no different. He popped his back muscles in a really cat like manner before standing up and walking down the corridor. But before he could get closer he noticed a faint smell. There was something wrong there. He could smell Kyungsoo’s sweet cinnamon aroma, but really close to the door there was another one, a new one. It was something he hated, the muddy smell of dog hybrid. He decided to stand close to the end of the corridor, not getting nearer but still with a full view of the main door. 

 

When the keys stopped jinggling and the door started opening the smell got way stronger. Jongdae furrowed his eyebrows while his nose moved uncomfortably, trying to decipher what was going on. He saw Kyungsoo’s frame entering the apartment but what caught his attention was the light brown hair paired with droopy ears peeking from Kyungsoo’s shoulder. He kept glancing at them, not moving a single muscle until they were both inside, and when Kyungsoo finally saw him he gave a slight jump opening his already huge eyes and holding a hand over his chest.

 

“Jongdae! You scared me! Stop being a creep over there and come and say hi” Kyungsoo said while closing the door, giving both hybrids his back. In the meantime, Jongdae and the other hybrid stared at each other. He could see the pup smirking after giving him a once-over. Who did he think he is? No one dares look at Jongdae with that condescending look. The cat hissed quietly showing his teeth, and this only made the other hybrid’s smile bigger. Was he seriously making fun of him?

When Kyungsoo turned around he frowned in the direction of his owner, who just sighed knowing what the hybrid would say.

 

“What is the meaning of this?” the cat said waving his arms in the general direction of the puppy hybrid, who started snickering at the crazed look on the cat.

 

“Baekhyun stop” at this, the pup put his hands behind his back and just flashed his teeth innocently to Kyungsoo. “Jongdae, don’t be mean. Let’s go to the living room. There’s some things I need to explain to you” Jongdae let out an indignant huff and strolled to the couch. His couch. In his living room. Not the dog’s. 

 

Kyungsoo turned towards Baekhyun, frowning when he saw the puppy laughing at Jongdae’s back. He ruffled Baekhyun’s hair making him pout. “Behave. Go on to the living room at the end of the corridor. I will grab some snacks to calm him down. Take a sit and make yourself at home ok? He will maybe hiss at you but he won’t scratch or anything. He’s actually really kind” He said smiling.

 

The puppy smiled back to Kyungsoo and proceeded on to the living room. When he got there he almost laughed at the sight. The cat was sprawled all over the largest couch. He was really short, so he tried putting both his arms over his head while trying to stretch his short legs as much as he could, while his tail was draped over the small coffee table. That just looked plain uncomfortable and painful, but who was Baekhyun to judge. He knew cats were weird and did weird things all the time.

 

When Baekhyun tried taking a seat the cat hissed, just as Kyungsoo said he would, but he paid no mind ignoring the cat who looked so offended at getting ignored he decided to sit and show his elongated nails. It was just cute, nothing menacing over there.

 

Kyungsoo decided to enter the living room in that moment, almost slapping his forehead until he remembered he had his arms full of snacks. “Jongdae what did I say!” he said putting everything on the table. The cat just puffed his cheeks and turned to the other side. Kyungsoo decided to take a seat on the largest couch, getting a lap full of cat a second after. This seemed to make Jongdae happy, who looked towards Baekhyun smirking while rubbing his face all over Kyungsoo’s sweater.Baekhyun seemed to find this funny, taking a cookie from the table together with what looked like apple juice.

 

Kyungsoo took a long sip of his black coffee and decided to start talking. He just wanted to get this over with and take a long warm bath. “Baekhyun, this is Jongdae. I talked to you earlier a bit about him. He’s my cat hybrid and I have had him since we were both pretty young.” For some reason this made the cat hybrid really shy and he hid his face on Kyungsoo’s shoulder, or maybe it was the stare he was receiving from the puppy. “And Jongdae, this is Baekhyun” Kyungsoo tried shaking his arm so the cat would look at the other hybrid “He was part of the shelter Chanyeol takes care of, but he’s getting a bit old and the probabilities of getting adopted are really low now so I decided to take him home” right when he finished he was interrupted by a screech right at his eardrum.

 

“What?? Do you mean you adopted him?” He had to take both Jongdae’s hands in his so he would stop shaking him by his sweater’s neck. He could see by the corner of his eye how Baekhyun’s already droopy ears went down.

 

“Calm down, it’s not official yet. But I want you to try and get along with Baekhyun and accept him as part of our tiny family. I would never take big decisions without getting your approval and you know that, but I think this can be good for you too” the hybrid started squeezing the sweater and his sight fell down while trying to understand what Kyungsoo was saying. 

 

“Jongdae, can you do this for me?” said Kyungsoo, lifting the hybrid’s face by his chin, making eye contact. Jongdae could see in Kyungsoo’s eyes that he was willing to do whatever Jongdae wanted. If Jongdae said no it was possible that Kyungsoo would take Baekhyun back tomorrow. But he was a good kitty. He didn’t want to make his owner upset. So he had to agree and try.

 

“Ok. I will try. But I don’t make any promises!” when he saw Kyungsoo’s heart shaped smile he knew he made the right decision. He also received a big hug and a caress to his ears. After this, he stood up and went to the couch where the puppy was seating. The other’s ears perked, waiting for what Jongdae’s next move would be. He was really surprised when the cat extended an arm towards him waiting for a shake.

 

“I’m Jongdae, nice to meet you” Still shocked, the puppy returned the shake with a bright rectangular smile and replied with an excited “I’m Baekhyun! I hope we can get along!” Kyungsoo could see the puppy’s tail going crazy with movement behind him. He stood up and scratched behind Jongdae’s ears thanking him for trying.

 

“Come on Baekhyun, I will show you around. Jongdae, can you start preparing the ingredients for diner? What do you think about learning to make pasta today?” The cat hybrid had been learning how to cook as a hobby lately, and he had been pestering Kyungsoo about learning to make his special pasta since a couple of weeks ago. It was the least he could do. He saw Jongdae’s smile curl at the corners while shaking his head so fast he was afraid he would hurt his neck. Afterwards, Jongdae went running to the kitchen. When he glanced down at Baekhyun he saw how the puppy’s eyes followed Jongdae’s every movement with a weird smile. Interesting.