Chapter | 8

The Fate Of Us All | Exo

One week and four days. That's how long Chanyeol had been locked up in his ing hospital room. It was like a prison. After his pathetic attempt of escape, Kris ordered two gaurds to watch over him at all times. 

Chanyeol honestly felt fine except for the fact that he was locked up in his room all day. The only thing he was allowed to do was move around his room and eat. Kris came in regularly for checkups, and Chanyeol decided he should act nice if he wanted to leave this place. 

When Kris came in for his daily check up, Chanyeol was standing at the window, looking down on the car park below. 

"You gonna jump?" Kris asked in a playful tone

Chanyeol shook his head. "No. Was just getting some air." He turned and saw Kris placing a tray on his bedside trolley. Kris patted the bed. "Come sit."

Chanyeol obeyed in silence which was surprising. Was this really Chanyeol? 

Kris checked the boy's heart beat, then his pulse. He checked Chanyeol's blood pressure and the color of his skin. Everything seemed fine. Once Kris was finished recording his results, he sat down on a chair next to Chanyeol's bed. 

With his hand on his chin, he stared at him, eyebrows creased. After a moment of silence, the younger spoke. "What?" It was obvious he was irritated. 

Kris sighed, lowering his hand. "You'll be discharged tomorrow." 

Chanyeol's face lit up and he almost smiled. "Really? No bullting?" 

Kris chuckled. "No, no bull. But there are conditions. You'll have to take medication for your jaundice, and it's not cheap." 

The younger's face fell. "H-how much?" 

"For you, it's free." Chanyeol frowned. "I'm paying." Kris explained. 

Chanyeol didn't know what to say. "uh...why? I'm very capable." Kris noted the hesitation in the boy's voice.

Kris shook his head in disagreement. "I've seen your records. You've been involved in theft, drugs and you've run away from three orphanages and tried to escape from hospital without permission. I don't think you're in any state to pay those medical bills." 

Chanyeol's fists were clenched. his eyes narrowed at Kris. "You don't know anything about me. I'm ing fine on my own. I've survived long enough haven't I?" 

"Barely. You're jaundice was terrible and so was your mental state. You were lucky we found you when we did."

" off and stop pretending like you're some savior." 

Kris just looked at the boy blankly, showing no sign of intimidation. "All I'm saying is that once you get discharged, my guards will take you to my home. You won't have to live like you used to." 

Chanyeol's angered demeanor suddenly softened, but his brows stayed creased. "Bull. That's ing bull. Someone offered you money didn't they? I bet it was Craig, that bastard." 

Kris frowned. "Now why would I do that when I have more money than I need?"

"Because he probably threatened you didn't he?" 

Kris sighed and put his hands on either side of the boy, staring right into his eyes. He was being dead serious. "Listen hear kid. I don't mess with that because I'm not stupid, and I definitely know that you aren't. Now you're either getting discharged and coming to my place, or you can stay here and keep up the treatment. Make the smart decision." 

Chanyeol's nostrils flared in anger, but Kris kept his eyes trained as if daring Chanyeol to decline. The younger replied with a curt, "Fine." Kris, now satisfied, released his arms from the bed and leaned back into his chair. 

Chanyeol didn't feel like talking, but he had to ask. "If you're not doing this for Craig...then why are you doing it?" 

Kris smiled sadly and looked out the window, avoiding eye contact. "Because the first thing you said when you came in here was the name of someone very dear to me."

"Who?" Chanyeol queried.

"Baekhyun."

-

-

Suho's plan to get Chen alone in the cafeteria worked. With the help of Kyungsoo and Luhan he was able to get Xiumin to sit with him, much to his cousin's reluctance. Xiumin really only agreed because he thought Chen was cute. 

As the two sat there in awkward silence, Xiumin sighed, pushing his plate over to Chen. "Here." He said not making eye contact. "Have it." 

Chen's eyes widened. "Oh it's fine r-really--"

"I won't take no for an answer." This time, Xiumin looked the boy right in the eyes. 

Chen reluctantly took the offer, although embarrassed. He just hoped Sehun and Kai would hurry up. He began to pick at his food when Xiumin spoke. 

"How's your classes?"

Chen hesitated. Was Xiumin really talking to him? After a gulp he replied. "I guess they're okay. I don't really study too often."

Bonus, Xiumin thought. "So, do you need any tutoring? I could help you after school or something." The boy leaned with his head resting on his hand, looking at the boy beside him. 

Chen shook his head. "Thanks but it would never work out." 

"Why not? I'm sure I could make time for you. My grades are awesome." What the hell are you saying? Your grades are . 

Once again the younger rejected. "I'm sorry Xiumin it's just that my mast--I mean, my...father wouldn't allow me. He's very strict you see." 

The older didn't fail to notice his hesitation with the word father. Was he an orphan? Chen began to pack his food up. "Where are you going?" The older asked. 

"I think I should go look for Sehun and Kai. They should've been here by now." 

Xiumin shook his head, "No Chen, please. I-I'm sorry if I rubbed off on you the wrong way. I was lying about my grades. I-I just really wanted to get to know you, you see? But I'm not very good at these things, so I just thought that maybe if we hung out I--we could, we c-could be..."

Chen frowned. "Be what?" 

"...friends." 

Astonishment could not describe the feeling in Chen right now. It was beyond that. It was like a whole new phenomenon. Friends? He'd never really had a friend. Everyone in the house with him was only family. Friends...were rare. Friends were non-existent.

"Chen?" 

Xiumin's voice snapped him from his thoughts. "Yes?" 

"Am I being rejected right now?" Xiumin asked. 

Chen didn't hesitate to shake his head. "N-No! You're not! I-I was just thinking how weird it is that you'd want be my friend. Of all people...why me?" 

The next thing Xiumin said made Chen's heart explode with happiness. 

"Why not you Chen?" 

-

-

" you man. I'm not even gay." Kyungsoo took a sip of his drink then proceeded to slam it on the table. 

However, Junmyeon continued laughing his head off, unable to control himself. "I-I'm sorry..." He replied in between laughs. "It's just...t-that, I'd never t-thought that you'd score someone so...good looking." 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. "I'll admit that the kid's a beauty, but I'm not ing gay! What if people find out? What will that make me?" 

Junmyeon smirked. "The uglier boyfriend." This earned him a hard punch to the arm. Junmyeon just laughed, smacking Kyungsoo in the shoulder. 

Kyungsoo gulped the rest of his drink and dumped the empty cup into the sink. "Whatever, I'm done with your ." 

"Hey Soo, come back. I'm only joking." 

The younger completely ignored him, turning on his heel and heading for the door. "I'm breaking up with that kid as soon as I see him." 

"That's if you don't fall for him." 

"Oh like you've ever been in love." Kyungsoo said turning around. 

Junmyeon's small pifts of laughter immediately come to a halt and he narrows his eyes. "W-What?" 

"I said that you've never been in lo-"

"I know what you ing said!" The older shouted. 

"Woah," Kyungsoo said taking a step back. "Calm down." 

"How can I calm down when I've never been in love huh? Never been in love? Then why is my heart ripping to shreds everyday? Why do I smoke even if I hate the ing sticks and the wasted expense?" Junmyeon was satnding with clenched fists, fuming. 

"Why is it that every time I open my phone and find that the person who's dying hasn't woken up huh? Care to ing enlighten me on what love is then?" 

Kyungsoo's annoyed aura had disappeared, replaced with a guilty one. Since when did Junmyeon get a girlfriend? "Look Hyung, I'm sorry. I-i didn't realize you were in a relationship okay? I mean, it's not my fault that I wasn't informed about anyone after you all just left is it?" 

"Oh, so it's all my fault now?" 

Kyungsoo let out a frustrated sigh. "No, that's- that's not what I meant--"

"--Then what did you mean!?" 

"I was uninformed okay? Do you really think I would've said that if I knew you would've reacted like this?" Kyungsoo asked, creeping closer to the fuming man. 

Junmyeon took a deep breath, knowing that he was overreacting. "I-I'm sorry, I just got angry." He kept his head down and began to walk away. 

Kyungsoo called out to him. "Hey! Where are you going? I'm sorry!" 

"I'm going for a run." 

-

-