Chapter | 9

The Fate Of Us All | Exo

Chen seemed a lot more happier than ever, and whenever a family member questioned why, he'd just say it was normal. Chen's behaviour was everything but normal. Kai often caught him dancing around the home, or just simply smiling to himself and shaking his head as if thinking about something. 

It was strange. 

One day, Sehun was sitting by him and they were peeling oranges in their hands, sitting on their backyard porch. Chen seemed to be enjoying the peeling more than needed and it was kind of pissing Sehun off. 

After three minutes, Chen began humming and Sehun had had enough. 

He threw his peels in a violent matter and turned to the older. "What the hell is wrong with you?" He tried to refrain from yelling, but the annoyance in his voice was evident to Chen. 

The older was quite alarmed at the outburst. "It's nothing. I-I'm just happy, that's all." 

Sehun rolled his eyes at the statement. "How the ing hell can you be happy? What has possibly changed in this universe that you're just suddenly happy?"

Chen looked at Sehun, frowning. "Why are you so against me being like this?" 

Sehun rolled his eyes, laughing. "Because this is so messed up hyung, that's why. Who in their right mind would be happy, when they get their asses shoved for money that doesn't even go to them? Huh? Care to enlighten me?"

Chen's sudden appetite left at the distraught outburst. He places his mandirin down and takes a deep breath before saying, "Not everything has to be sad and miserable Sehun." Standing, he takes his leave, and Sehun sits there pondering. 

-

-

Tao sits by Lay again, but his head is resting atop the bed on his arm, his hands entwined with the other's. The two are both sleeping peacefully as Kris walks in and Chanyeol follows cautiously behind him. 

Kris looks behind him and shuts the doors, holding a hand up to his mouth to tell Chanyeol to be quiet. The other nods with understanding, although he looks absolutely gobsmacked to be seeing Lay.

Ever since Chanyeol found out that Kris knew Baekhyun, he didn't hesiitate to fire question after question. When Kris told him that Lay was still breathing and alive, Chanyeol wanted to see him right away. 

So, here they were watching Tao and Lay sleep and Chanyeol's eyes were prickling with hot tears of pent up grief and emotion. It was silent before an onslaught of sobs escpaed from his mouth and he was stumbling to the bedside, reaching to touch the coma stricken Lay. 

Chanyeol cried and cried, muttering apologies and mumbling words Kris could not hear or make out. But it didn't matter. His heart warmed just at the sight of it. Chanyeol may have come off as a rough, rude teenager, but inside he was just a grieving man in his world of pain and regret. 

When he started to calm down, Kris pulled a chair out and sat beside him. Chanyeol turned to him, hands still grasping Lay, and he asked, referring to Tao. "Who is this?"

Kris reaches over and cards his fingers through Tao's hair. "My boyfriend." Kris hushes. 

Chanyeol's eyes widen, "Oh." is all he says. 

The two sit there for what seems like forever, until Kris says that they need to leave so that Chanyeol can get home.

They sit in Kris' car, silent on the ride home, although it's not uncomfortable. Even though he would never admit it, Chanyeol is a tiny bit relieved that Kris is the one taking him home. He is pretty sure that he was evicted from his apartment, and the orphanages gave up on him. 

Chanyeol holds his small bag of belongings tightly as they approach Kris' house. He is surprised when he sees how big it is, and there is even a remote controlled gate. Kris doesn't talk as he pins in the code to the gate, and Chanyeol is on his toes. 

When the engine stops, Kris finally speaks. "I hope you're comfortable with this."

Chanyeol doesn't reply, only getting out of the car to show that he is willing. They both enter and slip off their shoes, and Kris leads Chanyeol to what will be his new room. He shows him around the house and tells him to help himself to anything in the fridge or kitchen if he is hungry. 

Once, the other is settled in, Kris checks his watch. "I've got to go, but do whatever you want. I'll be back by morning." 

Kris grabs his keys and Chanyeols asks, "Where are you going?"

"I have the night shift."

Chanyeol only nods, and Kris is gone.

-

-

Haiatus begins!