Chapter One

Eomma Jin
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Eomma… I’m hungry.” 

I looked up from a garbage bag I tore into to see Jungkook kicking a beer can next to the dumpster. I whined in response and stared him down from inside it, my head poking out of one of the open flaps, and Jungkook couldn’t help but giggle while I growled playfully. 

I’m looking. Can you give me a minute?

Jungkook pouted and went back to kicking the can again. My ears stood attentively with my instincts telling me that Jungkook was upset, and I howled lowly for a response. He looked up at me again, and I could see the disappointment in his face.

“I don’t wanna eat from the dumpster anymore. Can we go to the shelter again?” 

My ears dropped.

It’s only been a few hours since we ran away from the shelter that was providing free food. Jungkook had a big appetite and when he went up to get a second serving, I noticed some of the other wolves staring me down and whispering things as they gestured towards him. The manager later came towards me and asked me about what I thought was the best for my son and if I will be willing to give him up for a family to care of him. My maternal instincts took over and I jumped up and pulled my son out of that establishment. 

I lifted myself on the closed lid and wagged my tail.

We will just have to manage right now. How about tonight we go hunting for some sewer rats?

Jungkook looked back at me with glint in his eyes, and I barked as his mood perked up at the idea. Sewer rats were disgusting, but the chase is always fun. Jungkook always chased after them in his human form, soaking his clothes with the dirty water just so when he compares his pile of rats to mine, he boasts about how much of a better hunter he was without going to his wolf form. 

“Are you ready to lose again?”

I won’t go easy this time. 

He howled, and I inwardly smiled as it got his mind off his growling stomach. I wished I could feed him as a good eomma would instead of rummaging through a dumpster in my wolf form, my white fur stained from the dirt and grease. 

It's already been a couple years since I ran away with Jungkook, and in a few months it will be his fourth birthday. After the death of my late Alpha, there was signs in every city we visited demanding that I was brought back, dead or alive. I avoided busy streets and going out in the daylight, and when Jungkook was still a baby I would eat leftover food I found in the trash and rodents who were unlucky to roam in the middle of the night. I couldn’t steal from stores with my face plastered on their windows. 

All the clans I asked to join would chase me outside their territory. They didn’t need more mouths to feed and there was never enough space for a homeless omega and alpha pup, especially one that wasn’t sired by any of their clan members. Alphas themselves eat twice as much as omegas and betas, and Jungkook was no exception.

My nose twitched, and I turned to see a back door open with a beta cook coming out. I dropped my ears, and the beta growled at me. 

“What did I tell you about coming back here?” He snarled, and I jumped from of the dumpster to stand in front of Jungkook. I barked at him, threatening for him to keep his distance. I won’t let anything happen to Jungkook. 

He dropped the trash bag and took a defensive stance. 

“Bring it on! I’m tired of trash like you!” He growled, and he started to shift. I quickly turned to shove Jungkook the other way.

Run! Now!

“Eomma…!” He cried, but before I can bark at him again I was pounced from behind. The beta took a bite at my neck and yanked me to the side, and when he let go I attacked one of his hind legs, digging my teeth in the ligament. He howled, trying to bite at me.

I noticed Jungkook hadn’t moved from his spot, and I lost focus enough for the beta to finally bite one of my ears and pulled. I let go immediately and we both tumbled a few feet away from each other, snarling. 

I really didn’t want to fight. I was already weak enough as it is. I only needed time for Jungkook to run, but when he didn’t move I didn’t have a choice. 

I submit

Please log in to read the full chapter