Done for

Home Is Where The Heart Is

 

Jisoo could get used to having Jennie by her side every night, their bodies pressed together. Jisoo was well awake now, but wasn’t it so much better to pretend she was still sleeping, so she could enjoy Jennie’s embrace? 

Her lips grew into a grin as Jennie shifted closer, hugging Jisoo by her waist. Jisoo didn't want to move for the rest of the day, but her phone had to start vibrating on the night stand. She quickly reached for it, reading the name on the screen. 

“Hello?” Jisoo whispered after accepting the call. 

“Good morning Jisoo! Did I wake you up?” Rosé, her work colleague and friend, spoke from the other side. 

“N-No.” Jisoo was bad at lying, but Rosé was naïve, so that wouldn't be a problem. 

“Okay, I’m glad. Are you free today?” 

“Yes...?”  

“Great! Me and Lisa are too, how about we go do some busking? It’s been some time.” 

Jisoo was about to answer when Jennie moved, making her freeze. 

“Jisoo? Everything okay?” Jennie asked with hoarse voice. 

“Oh, got company?” Jisoo heard Rosé asking on the phone. 

“Yes! I mean, yes Rosé, hm, I’ll call you back soon, okay? And yes, I wanna go busking! Just, give me a minute, will you?”  

“Oh, okay, I’ll be wai-" And Jisoo hung up. 

“Sorry, I didn’t realize you were on the phone, I didn’t mean to interrupt.”  

Much for Jisoo’s disappointment, Jennie pulled away. Jisoo rolled to her side. 

“That’s okay, you didn’t interrupt anything. It was Rosé, one of the friends I told you about. Those friends that sing and play with me. She asked me if I was free today.” 

“Oh, are you going with them?”  

“If you come with us.” Jisoo smiled, resting her head on her arm under the pillow. 

Jennie raised her eyebrows. 

“Going with you guys? T-Today?” 

“Of course. I told you they’ll like you, you don’t need to be afraid.”  

Jennie rolled on her back, facing the ceiling.  

“I don’t know, Jisoo... that’s something you always do with them, I don’t wanna be-" 

“You won't be a bother, and we will make you feel welcome. I promise.” 

Jisoo observed Jennie’s side profile, as she kept on staring the ceiling. From her forehead, down to her eyes (the cute mole right under her left eyebrow), nose, lips, chin, and jawline.  

Maybe Jennie wasn’t even traditionally pretty, but Jisoo had always seen the charm in her, and the more she memorized the lines of her face, the more beautiful she looked. 

Jennie turned her head to meet Jisoo’s eyes. 

“Okay. I’ll go with you.”  

Jisoo smiled. There wasn’t anything else she could do, or say. She was already embarrassed enough with her own thoughts.  

--- 

 Jennie was nervous and she didn’t even seem to be making an effort to hide it. She held Jisoo's hand and squeezed it from time to time as they walked side by side, with Dalgom and Kuma a bit ahead.  

“Jisoo!” A voice echoed in the crowd.  

She rushed, dragging Jennie with her.  

“Hey guys!” Jisoo greeted with a smile, setting her guitar on the ground, beside Rosé’s. “This is Jennie. Jennie, this is Chaeyoung, or Rosé, and Lisa.” She said, pointing as she introduced them. 

“N-Nice to meet you.” Jennie bowed. 

“Likewise!” Rosé gave her a bright smile. 

Lisa eyed Jennie from head to toe, shifting her eyes to their glued hands. 

“So... are you Jisoo’s friend?” Lisa asked, a hint of a smirk present on her lips. 

Jennie looked down, retreating her hand. 

“Y-Yes.” 

Of course, Friends.  

Why did Jisoo’s heart suddenly feel so heavy? 

“So, you’re going to sing with us, right? Jisoo here told me you’re amazing!” Rosé pulled Jisoo closer with her arm around her shoulders. Lisa was squatting, petting Dalgom and Kuma. 

“Oh, yes, I want to sing with you guys, if that's okay with you. But I’m not that amazing," Jennie waved her hands. "Jisoo was just being kind." 

“She’s normally pretty honest with her opinions, so I believe you’re at least pretty good. And of course it's okay! I'm happy we have one more person to have fun with us.” 

"Thank you so much." Jennie couldn't help herself but smile widely. 

--- 

As Dalgom and Kuma went straight to their food bowl, Jisoo and Jennie let their tired bodies dive into the couch. 

"I hadn't had this much fun in a long time." Jennie said, letting her body fall to Jisoo's side, leaning with her head on her shoulder. 

Jisoo looked down at her. Jennie's eyes were shut, but the smile was still present on her lips.  

"I told you they would like you. Did you like them?”  

"Yes, of course! They’re nice, talented, and funny, just like you. Thank you, Jisoo. For real. I just wish I could show you how thankful I truly am."  

"You already do, by being here with me."  

Since when was Jisoo this cheesy?  

Jennie looked up at her, and after a second of what seemed like hesitation, she leaned forward to kiss Jisoo's cheek, going back to rest her head on her shoulder, without daring to look at her afterwards. 

Maybe a few days before, Jisoo's reaction would be freaking out inside while her body froze. But now, she could only feel a chill run down her back. 

"That also helps." Jisoo held Jennie with her arm around her shoulders, pulling her even closer, and resting her head on hers.  

Silence settled in, and Jisoo couldn't ask for more. Maybe she could, but that would be asking for too much. For now, it was enough. She was happy. 

"We should have bought some take away food on the way back." Jisoo mumbled into the air, breaking the silence. "I'm so hungry, but I don't wanna cook..." She whined like a little kid.  

There was no answer from Jennie. Jisoo peeked down, to find Jennie with her oh-so-angelic-and-beautiful sleeping face on. Was Jennie always so tired, or did she only fall asleep easily? 

Either way, Jisoo was hungry, and she couldn't shake that away. She thought about chicken, and now she had to eat chicken. She fetched her phone from her pocket, slowly as not to wake Jennie up, and ordered some for the both of them. Jennie was sure to be hungry when she woke up. 

When the food arrived, Jennie didn't wake up with the bell sound, so Jisoo took the chance to carefully leave the couch and go to the kitchen to set the dinner table. As she transferred the chicken to a plate, two hands grabbed on her right sleeve. 

“Be careful, you don’t want to stain your sweater.” Jennie said, folding her sleeve up. 

Jisoo would have said something, but Jennie decided to press her body against Jisoo’s back. She could have only done that, but Jennie also made sure to rest her chin on Jisoo’s shoulder, wrapping her arms around Jisoo’s waist.  

“T-Thank you.” Jisoo managed to mumble. 

“I should be the one thanking you. Do you know how long it's been since I had chicken and beer?” Jennie grinned, finding two beer cans next to the chicken box. Jisoo shook her head. “Yeah, me either.” 

“I’m glad I chose right then.” Jisoo giggled 

They sat and Jisoo went straight for the chicken, taking a large sip of her beer right after, finishing with a satisfied sigh. When she looked ahead, she found Jennie staring at her with a smirk. 

“What?” 

“Never imagined you eating chicken and drinking beer like that.”  

“What do you mean?” Jisoo cocked an eyebrow. 

“You’re just so... cute and precious, and then you eat like an old man.” 

“I-I don’t eat like an old man!” Jisoo protested, with still full of food. 

Jennie let out a loud chuckle and Jisoo lowered her head in defeat, accepting the truth. 

Before Jisoo could even process the cute and precious in her head, Jennie grabbed her beer and raised it. 

“Let’s toast.” 

“To what?” 

“To you.” 

“M-Me?” 

“Yes, to you. To Kim Jisoo.” Jennie smiled. 

"Why?" 

"Because... you exist?" Jennie shrugged. 

Jisoo blinked and grabbed her beer. 

“How about we toast to destiny, for bringing us together?”  

Jennie bumped her beer can against Jisoo’s. “Yeah, I like that.”  

--- 

“What are you gonna do tomorrow?” Jisoo asked, looking at the TV as Jennie skipped through the channels. 

“I have classes in the morning. Then I’ll go to my friend’s place to pick up some of my clothes and things I have there, and then I’ll go visit my mother.” Jennie explained, stopping her search for a good channel and letting the tv play a documentary about renaissance art. 

“Alright, that sounds like a busy day. I never asked you but, what are you studying?” 

“Languages and literature.”  

“Oh, seems interesting. What do you wanna do after you finish college?” 

“I’m not sure yet, there’s many things I would like to do. Since I lived in New Zealand when I was younger, I started learning English before it was taught in school and I was able to master it.”  

Jisoo’s eyebrow raised in her forehead, as she nodded.  

What was still there to know about Jennie? Sometimes, Jisoo felt like she knew a lot about her already, but then Jennie kept on revealing new things about herself. But Jisoo never felt satisfied. She wanted to know everything. Her childhood, every little detail. Jisoo hoped that as time went by, she'd know more and more. 

“English teacher Jennie.” Jisoo muttered, giggling to herself. “I have yet to listen to your English.” 

“Someday.” Jennie winked. 

Jisoo gulped and tried to ignore the effect that little action had on her.  

“What about your father? You never mentioned him.” 

She knew she shouldn’t have asked that question as soon as Jennie’s smile faded. 

“He passed away while we lived in New Zealand. He had a high position in a technology company, so we lived well, in a big house, while my mom ran a flower shop. It was her passion, and she didn't really need to bring more income anyway, so that's what she did. After his death, my mother succumbed to depression and she could barely keep working on the flower shop, let alone support us both when we used to live well off. Even with all the savings, we couldn’t stay like that forever, so my mom decided to come back to Korea and start over with me.” 

“I-I’m sorry.” It was all Jisoo could say. 

“That’s okay, it was many years ago. My mom is the strongest woman I’ve ever known. She got better, got a new job and after a full year of hard work and saving enough, she opened a new flower shop. But...” Jennie paused and took a deep breath. “This had to happen. She really doesn’t deserve it, Jisoo. I just want her to win her battle against that ing stupid disease so she can go back to doing what she loves.”  

To think that Jennie had already lost her father and she could lose her mother too made Jisoo’s heart sink. 

“She will, Jennie,” Jisoo turned her body to Jennie and grabbed her hands. “She will. I believe it. She really is a strong woman. I only met her once but I could tell that she believes in herself too and that she's doing her best to keep going strong.” 

Jennie raised her head and met Jisoo’s eyes. After a couple seconds of staring, Jennie circled her arms around Jisoo’s shoulder and pulled her into a hug. 

“Thank you, Jisoo.” Jennie sniffed, pulling away. “Enough talking about me. Tell me more about you.” 

“W-What do you wanna know?” 

“Why do you live alone?” 

Jisoo pondered on how she should start explaining it. 

“When I was in high school, my mother pressured me a lot to do good so I could go to a prestigious college. But I didn’t really want to. I didn’t want to go to college because there was nothing I wanted to pursue, at least at that time, and I didn’t want to do it just because my mother wanted me to. So, when I finished high school and told my mother I preferred to not waste money and years of my life doing something I didn’t want to, she kicked me out.”  

Jennie dropped her chin. 

“It’s not like I didn’t want to leave, anyway.” Jisoo giggled. “Like I said, I prefer to have a job, save money, live my life without pressure and do what I like, and eventually, I’ll find out what I really wanna do. I’m happy as I am now, and I think that’s what matters.”  

Jennie seemed lost in what to say. 

“What about your father?” 

“He was always very focused on his job, so whatever I wanna do, he doesn’t really care. I think that as long as I’m happy, he supports me. But my mother... Well, she said some pretty hurtful things. I was a bit sad at the time, when she said I was a disappointment, worthless, and that I didn’t care about her at all if I was going to be such a disappointment. What would other people say about her as a mother if she couldn't even get her daughter into a nice college? She cared more about what other people had to say about it than my own opinion, I guess. But I care enough about my opinion for the both of us, so don't worry.” Jisoo finished with a chuckle. 

“Your mother told you that? How could she?! It’s your life and your choices, she can’t control you!” Anger burned in Jennie’s eyes. 

“That’s why I left. Of course I would prefer to have a healthy relationship with her but, whatever. This is what I'm left with. I still talk with my dad, though, and he supports me.” Jisoo shrugged. 

“I just can’t imagine a relationship with my mother being like that. She was always so supportive in all my choices...” 

“And that’s great, Jennie. I’m really happy for you.” Jisoo squeezed Jennie’s hands. “Don’t be angry, I’m okay, really! I’ve been living happier since I left my parents’ house. And now that I’ve met you, I’ve been even happier.” 

Jennie slowly raised her head, meeting Jisoo’s gentle eyes. 

“Me too, Jisoo.” 

--- 

Jisoo just wanted her work day to be over. Because she wanted to run to the train station, where Jennie would be waiting for her. And also because Lisa and Rosé were having a little too much fun teasing her that day. One afternoon was enough for them to notice how close Jennie and Jisoo already were.  

“You’re done for, Jisoo!” Rosé elbowed her. 

“Hell yeah, you are. You made the both of us feel like a third wheel.” Lisa joined the teasing. "Should we become a couple too, Chaeng? That way we can annoy Jisoo when she's alone. We'll get revenge." 

Rosé swatted Lisa's arm and joined in on the laughter. 

Jisoo didn’t bother trying to deny it. She only smiled, embarrassed. What could she do against the truth? 

When 10pm ticked, Jisoo rushed to the train station, barely even saying goodbye to her friends. 

There she was, sitting on the usual bench. Jennie raised her head as soon as Jisoo's steps were loud enough, smiling widely at her. 

“Hi.” Jisoo stopped in front of her. 

Jennie stood up and approached her, planting a quick peck on her cheek. 

“Hi.” 

“I missed you.” Jennie added.  

“I missed you too.” Jisoo said, her cheek still burning from her lips.  

Jennie gave her a grin before grabbing her hands.  

“Wanna grab food before going home?” 

Home. 

Jisoo nooded. 

“Great, I’m paying.” Jennie said, dragging her to the hot dogs. 

“H-Hey, says who?”  

Jennie stopped on her tracks and looked back, making Jisoo almost bump into her. 

“Me.” She whispered, giving her a smirk. 

What could Jisoo do? She just wasn't sure if Jennie was really good at persuasion or if it was Jisoo that was becoming too weak to her. Either way, Jennie was taking advantage of it, and it wasn’t fair. But Jisoo was willing to let it slide just this once. No, it would never be just this once, would it? 

---

On the train, and as usual, Jennie rested her head on Jisoo’s shoulder. Jisoo didn’t want to disturb Jennie, but she remembered a very important thing she absolutely couldn't forget. 

“Jennie.” She gently called, making Jennie hum in response. “I need your resumé.”  

After a couple seconds, Jennie lifted her head and looked at Jisoo with a frown, to which the girl responded with a wide grin. 

“Don’t you wanna be workmates?” 

---

A/N: aaaaaaa I'm sorry for the long waiting ;__; for the ones asking for Jisoo's story, here it is, and more about Jennie! I hope you liked the chapter and please, look forward to the next one, I'm sure you guys are gonna love it kekekeKEKEKEKEKEKEK