Chapter 3

By Luck

Seokjin sat by the window that faced out in the front of the house. He was waiting for Jungkook. ‘Why isn’t he here yet? Did he finally stop thinking about me?’ 

 

He shook his head and turned away. He didn’t even know why he wanted to wait for Jungkook or that Jungkook would even come at all. Taehyung just left for school twenty minutes ago.

 

His dad was in the study working and didn’t want anyone to bother him. His mom was tending the plants outside. 

 

Making his mind he went outside to the front yard where his mother was. His mom picked at the dead roses and threw them into a basket to her side. “Mom, do you know the Jeon family?” Jin asked as he stood next to his mom and picked the bad roses too. He knew that his mother knew them but it was to start the conversation. It would be weird if he asked right away the answer he came for.

 

“Of course I know them,” his mom answer examining one flower. “One child, a son. His name is.  . Jungkook.”

 

“Um, Mom. Do you their address?” Jin asked trying his best to not sound like a stalker. 

 

His mom stopped and looked at him, her eyes narrowing. “And why do you want to know?” 

 

Jin gulped trying to think of something. “Dad told me about Jungkook and I thought to be . . come acquaintances with him. He seems interesting.” Jin prayed his mother wouldn’t say more.

 

His mom still looked suspicious then the look vanished and was replace with a smile. “It’s good you’re meeting new people. He’s just older than you by a couple months.”

 

‘Older than me.’  

 

Jin thanked his mom and went inside to get dress to visit Jungkook. As he was about to leave he stops. ‘What am I suppose to say? Something that doesn’t sound like I want him but doesn’t sound like I just pity him.’

 

———————————————————————————————————————

 

Jungkook entered the living room to see more than just his mother. Two other people he didn’t recognize. “This is Jungkook,” his mother told the people. Jungkook bowed then sat next to his mother. “Jungkook, this is Mr.Jung and his son Jung Hoseok.” 

 

Jungkook remembered his mom talking about Hoseok. Jungkook glanced at him. He had a long nose. His face was calm and serious. Jungkook got to say he was quite handsome. 

 

Though he wasn’t showing a smile, Jungkook felt like this man was a usual happy energetic man. 

 

Hoseok caught his eyes and smile. “Are you older than him, Hoseok?” his mother asked. 

 

“I am by a year so I’ll be your hyung,” Hoseok answered as he looked at Jungkook. 

 

“How bout you two go talk outside,” Hoseok’s father suggested.

 

Jungkook nodded. The two made their way outside. 

 

“Have you always lived here in Korea,” Jungkook asked as he sat down. 

 

Hoseok remained standing. “Not really. I was born here and raised here till five years old then my mom wanted us to come with her to the US for her work. We all went. Just recently we came back except my mom who will be there for a few more months.”

 

“I’ve always been here.” 

 

Hoseok sits down next to Jungkook. “Do you know if there’s a particular reason our parents want us to meet?” Hoseok asked changing the subject. 

 

Jungkook knew but he decided to keep quiet. “I’m not sure either.”

 

“My father never brings me out. It’s probably because he thought I should have been something else other than a teacher.”

 

Jungkook was a bit taken by surprise that Hoseok was a teacher. He seemed fit to be something else. “You’re a school teacher?” 

 

“Yes. Does it seem odd that a person like me is a school teacher?” Hoseok asked a bit sad.

 

“It is kinda odd because you’d think that a person like you would want a job where they get to have a lot of fun and don’t use their education as much as needed. But I think a teacher suits you,” Jungkook answered truthfully. 

 

“Okay. Thanks,” Hoseok said, the happiness returning.

 

The two talked for about five more minutes then returned inside. Hoseok and his father said their goodbyes then left.

 

Some time later Jungkook’s mom went out to visit a relative leaving Jungkook alone in the house.

 

“Maybe I should visit Jimin?” He reached for the phone. 

 

Then he heard a car pull up in front of there house. He set the phone down and made his way outside. The door opened and Seokjin came out.

 

Jin went to the back of the car and took out some flowers. They were tied together with a white ribbon.

 

Jin walked up to him. “I brought this for your mother as it seems she doesn’t have this type in her garden.” Jin handed him the flowers. He took a look at them. They were blue hydrangeas. 

 

“Why are you here?” Jungkook asked coldly. 

 

Before Jin could answer, someone came up behind him. “Hello Jungkook,” Jin’s dad said. 

 

Jungkook invited them into the house. He took the hydrangeas from Jin with harsh eyes but gentle hands. Jungkook then served them tea.

 

“It’s a shame your mother isn’t here but we’ll visit next time. We hope she enjoy the gift. I have lots of work to do too so I’ll be leaving early.”

 

“It’s okay, I understand. Thank you for the flowers,” Jungkook said. 

 

Jin’s dad went and started up the car. Seokjin was about to follow when Jungkook pulled him by his wrist. “You came for me right.” Somehow Jungkook’s voice was soft. 

 

“I.  .  .” Jungkook pulled Jin into his chest and wrapped his arms around Jin. 

 

Jin was taken by surprise. Jungkook was either nice or mean. Jin was prepared for the mean one but the nice one came instead. “You came for me right,” Jungkook said with a sad but hopeful tone. 

 

He hugged Jin tighter. Jin’s arms were at his sides not touching Jungkook at all. Jungkook pulled away, his hands going down and meeting Seokjin’s. He held them so delicately and with care that Jin never felt before.

 

His eyes touches Jin’s. Slowly and carefully, he place a kiss on Seokjin’s forehead. Jin’s insides starts getting warm. ‘He’s doing this because he thinks I’m Seojin. He’s not doing this for me.’ Jin chants to himself. He didn’t know what to do. His mind told him to push Jungkook away but his heart told him to let it happen.

 

His head slightly tilts down. Jungkook slowly pulls away from the kiss as if he’s treasuring every single moment. His hands still delicately holding Seokjin’s. Seeing that Jin’s head had slightly tilt down he brings his right hand up and pulls Jin’s chin up to meet him. 

 

Jin gasp a bit at the action but stops and focus on Jungkook’s features. His face was soft looking, so much more than it did earlier. Jin wondered if Jungkook was looking at an angel then remembered he was looking at him. He blushed slightly. 

 

“I’m sorry for how I treated you. I’ll call you Seokjin from now on,” Jungkook apologize in such a gentle voice he wasn’t even sure it was him. 

 

“Jungkook,” Jin started. Jungkook gave a ‘hmm’. “Would you consider that you .  . lo-love me?” Seokjin didn’t know why he wanted to ask that but he did, given the situation.

 

Jungkook seems to think for a bit then replied. “I’ll leave the past behind. So let’s just say that I really really like you.” He flashed Jin a charming look. He brings both of Jin’s hands up to his lip and kisses both of them. “I think your dad has been waiting for a while. I’ll see you tomorrow so you better not go out much,” Jungkook says in a playful tone. 

 

Jin couldn’t say anything as Jungkook pushes him out the house. He sees his dad on his phone talking to someone. Taking a few steps forward he looks back to see if Jungkook was still there.

 

Indeed Jungkook was still there peeking out of the door. When he realized Jin was looking at him, he gets all shy and closes the door. Seokjin couldn’t help but giggle a bit.

 

He hurries up his steps to get into the car. As they drove away Jungkook watched them through the window till they were out of his sight. His heart pounded loudly, something that hadn’t happen in a long while. 

 

He was smiling like an idiot. He still didn’t know if Seokjin was Seojin but he didn’t care. The past is the past. As he remembered Seojin wasn’t that shy and cute. He was confident and y. 

 

He didn’t care though because he had a feeling he would really enjoy being with Seokjin. Still smiling he leans on the window and thinks of what he should do tomorrow with and for Seokjin.

 

———————————————————————————————————————

 

Seokjin listen to his father talk and answer at times but truthfully his mind was on the man whose name was Jeon Jungkook. ‘Jeon Jungkook’ He whispers. 

 

“Did you say something, Jin?” his dad asked as they turned a corner. 

 

“No. Continue with what you were saying,” Jin reply hoping his dad would continue. As his dad talked, his thoughts wander to that person again. Then something dawned on him. 

 

‘Doesn’t he still think I’m Seojin? If so, he’s doing this towards Seojin, not me,’ Seokjin dejectedly looks out the window. He continued thinking about Jungkook recalling that Jungkook did said he would leave the past behind. 

 

But would he go by his words. ‘Even if I say something, he would just tell me to leave it alone. Or he could get mad or he could get super sad then I would feel guilty.’

 

Jin sighs and fiddles with his fingers. 

 

 

Hoseok’s p.o.v

 

“Did you call for me, Father?” Hoseok asked as he enters his father’s study. 

 

“Yes I did. Have a seat?” Hoseok sat on the brown leather in front of the desk. On the other side was his father. Hoseok hadn’t been in the study for a while. It was still the same as it last was when he saw it. 

 

The window was open next to the desk. There were four pictures hanging in the room. One of his father, one of his mother and one of him. He liked the picture of all of them together best. 

 

Hoseok smiled at the memory of the photo. They were in front of a lake. His mom in the middle. He was on the left side while his father was on the right side.

 

His father cleared his throat making his attention go back to him. “Are you in a relationship, Hoseok?”

 

“No. You know how I feel like about a relationship. I won’t marry fast,” Hoseok replied. He told his father this every time it was this topic and when his father wanted him to marry someone.

 

“I think you had your freedom for too long. You should find someone. Since you won’t find someone, I found someone for you myself.”

 

Hoseok stood up. “Who?”

 

“Your friend Jungkook,” his father said as he turned his chair to the window. 

 

“Jungkook? Why?” 

 

“He’s perfect. Has a good face. Has a great life. Probably going to have a great future,” Hoseok’s father says still not looking at him.

 

Of course that was why his father brought him to meet Jungkook in the first place. “Father,” Hoseok said in a calm voice. “Jungkook and I are just friends. I’ll find someone eventually. I think he has someone already.”

 

Finally turning to look at him, his father says, “I’ve already made an agreement with his mother. He doesn’t have anyone and so do you.”

 

Hoseok nods his head knowing that he can’t change the words and agreement. ‘Jungkook must not be fond of this idea too.’ He thinks as he leaves the room not as obedient as he usually was.

 

 

Third person p.o.v

 

Seokjin yawns and stretches. He wakes up and opens the blind. The sun was just starting to come out. He needs to get ready for school. He takes a quick shower and gets dress.

 

He eats his breakfast with eyes on the clock wondering where Taehyung was. They would usually leave at the same time. They go their own ways but should see each other in the morning. 

 

Taehyung was in his last year of college. His major was design and art, film production. 

 

“Are you looking for Taehyung?” a maid asked him.

 

“Yes, did he leave already?”

 

“He left ten minutes ago.”

 

“Thanks,” Jin finish up his breakfast. He takes his things and keys with him outside. Sure enough, Tae’s usual dark blue car was gone.

 

They had three cars. One for their dad and mom, one for Seokjin and one for Taehyung.

 

Jin got in his car and drove off. 

 

~~~~

 

Jin got out of his car and took out his belongings. The school day has already ended and he just arrived home. The students were going to be doing a big project tomorrow that requires lots of materials. 

 

He went to his room to put his things away. He munches on an apple and sit at the counter grading some papers. It was soon starting to rain hard. Taehyung wasn’t home yet. His parents were going to come back late.

 

He stop munching on the apple. There again was a knock. Quickly getting up he heads for the door and opens it. Standing in front of him was Jungkook with wet hair. It wasn’t all that wet though just the top. 

 

His eyes were big. The rain made his skin look a lot whiter. His black hair was wet on the top but the rest was fluffy. He wore a black T-shirt that topped off the look. 

 

“Come in,” Seokjin croaks out in a small voice. He opened the door wider. Jungkook got in without hesitation. Jungkook sat in the living room while Jin got some drinks. “Why are you here?” Jin asked not trying to sound rude.

 

Jungkook’s lips stops at the edge of the cup. “Yesterday I said I would come visit, remember.”

 

Jin looks down with a bit of embarrassment for forgetting. “Are you okay? You didn’t bring an umbrella or even a jacket.” 

 

Jungkook felt a bit happy that he noticed and the heater. “I’m fine. Thanks.” Jin smiled a little. The phone rang. 

 

“Hello. Yes. Sure, I’ll tell them. No problem,” Jin then hung up.

 

“Who was it?” Jungkook asked inching closer to Jin.

 

“Someone,” Jin states blankly.

 

“What was it?” Jungkook continue inching closer to Seokjin.

 

“Family business,” Jin says and looks at Jungkook.

 

“I’m family.”

 

“You’re a .  .” Jin wasn’t sure what Jungkook was. Was he family? Was he a friend? He definitely isn’t a lover. 

 

“Friend?” Jungkook finishes. Now he was close to Jin. 

 

“I guess,” Seokjin says not even noticing how close the two now were.

 

Their hands accidentally touch making the two flinch. “Your hand is so cold,” Jin breathed out. 

 

“Oh I-“ Jungkook couldn’t finish because Jin took his hand in both of his own. Jungkook’s hands were veiny but the veins hid well before. Though they were veiny they were smooth and somewhat a bit soft. 

 

Jungkook admired the way Seokjin held his hands. Realizing that he got into Jungkook’s bubble, Jin drops his hand. 

 

The door opens causing both of their attention to it. Taehyung flapped the umbrella then closed it. Like he was in his own world he didn’t even notice the two. He enters and closes the door with his foot. 

 

Having the keys and his bag he makes his way up the stairs. Then he stops and walk back down, his back facing Jungkook and Seokjin. When he hits solid floor he turns his head slowly building up some tension.

 

“Jin?” His eyes scan Jungkook. Remembering Jungkook his eyes widen. 

 

“Taehyung,” Jin stands up. Jungkook stands up with him too. 

 

“Hi, I’m Jungkook,” Jungkook confidently introduces himself. 

 

Taehyung fix the strap of the bag on his shoulder. “Why are you here and with my brother?” Taehyung ask in a not rude but stern voice.

 

Jungkook remembered when Taehyung pulled him away from Jin. He also recalled that he thought Taehyung was Jin’s boyfriend. ‘Thank goodness he’s just a good looking protective brother’ he thought.

 

“Taehyung, Jungkook’s a friend,” Jin answers for Jungkook. “He’ll be leaving now anyway.”

 

Jin pulls Jungkook with him and out the door leaving Tae in the house.

 

“Wait, can I come here tomorrow?” Jungkook ask.

 

“No, I’ll be busy,” Jin turns the door knob. “But I’ll be free on Saturday.” He closes the door. ‘Why did I even say that?’

 

By that time the sun was starting to set. The rain had stopped.