Noonable's Short Crush

Puppy Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

Daniel had been working at the CU, a small chain convenience store, for the last two weeks. He liked the job well enough. There wasn't any time where he was really busy and he got breaks whenever he wanted. He was able to exercise by lifting things or doing push-ups in the aisles or pull ups on the door frame.

The job was simple so even the shifter could understand and not forget what to do. He had to clean, stock the shelves, put away deliveries in the back room, and work the register. During the times he was free, he would play games or message his human boyfriend. Seongwoo wouldn't message him for long though before he started questioning if Daniel was putting off or ignoring his responsibilities and threatened maybe he needed to quit the job then and find something busier.

When there was nothing to do, he enjoyed most talking to customers and playing detective about their jobs, ages, and what they were in the store to buy. He had got his new friend the human girl who was an exchange student from an island country to participate in bets. The loser would have to use their tip money to buy the other the food of their choice. Tan Tan noona as he called her liked to have something salty and he always asked for jellies, which the store stocked all of his favorites luckily.

 

 

"Hmm, seems late twenties. I am guessing a cook. He is here for tissues because he’s having a runny nose."

Tan Tan noona stopped stocking the coffees and looked over her shoulder subtly as she picked up the empty box to take out to the recycling bin. "I say he's early thirties. Doctor. He is here for a shaver because he forgot to shave this morning."

Daniel smiled triumphantly and Tan Tan noona groaned when the guy grabbed a package of cheap, disposable tissues. They had no way of telling if their guess of the customers' ages or occupations were right. That bit was just for their amusement.

Daniel liked Tan Tan. She was the coolest human he had ever met. She had a calm, mature, chic personality. She liked Marvel and Avengers movies, comics, and video games just like he did. She didn't fawn over him or totally freeze up like other human girls did. He had learned that she found him handsome but he guessed he wasn't her type. He wondered who was because for some reason she was single and he didn't get it. She was pretty and kind and cool in several ways. She seemed like the kind of girl guys would be really comfortable around.

After Daniel rang up the customer, he left and then Tan Tan noona passed him a bag of jellies. Daniel ripped open the plastic bag with his teeth and then put a handful of rainbow gummy bears. She rolled her eyes and shook her head, looking like she wanted to say something about how bad they were for his teeth today as well.

"Okay, tell me the truth about your identity. No way can you be human and eat two to three bags of jelly a day without gaining weight. And you do half of anything with your fangs."

He smiled smugly as he munched, bearing the extended canines she was mentioning. He had already asked Seongwoo if he could tell her about his identity. Seongwoo said that Daniel should be careful but if he trusted the person to not freak out then it was fine.

"I'm a dog shifter. You want some?" he said coolly.

"No, I'm not a jelly person. I just eat one or two. I prefer peanuts or chips. Wait, what oh my God, you sprouted ears! You were serious?"

 For the first time, Daniel heard the cool, older girl squeal and she jumped away from the counter with a look of amazement and slightly horrified shock.

"Yes, I was serious. I'm a dog shifter. Never seen one of our kind?"

"Yeah, well no. I mean, they stay in one or the other forms. They don't usually switch right in front of me, jeez." She had her hand over her heart and seemed to have stopped breathing momentarily.

"Is it freaky? You want to run away from me now?" Daniel's heart stopped a moment and he looked around her apprehensively, his ears dropping at the tips.

"Pfft." Tan Tan noona waved her hand and rolled her big eyes. "Completely opposite. Like I would freak out about seeing something supernatural. I think it's seriously cool. Can I touch them?"

"Sure. But I'm a bit ticklish if it's not my mate."

"Ah, you have a mate? What's she like? She had white ears too? Or is she not a dog? Too funny, I always thought there were times you were really just like a puppy. I've definitely heard you growl and bark."

Daniel blushed not because he enjoyed the way she was his ears, but because he was embarrassed at having not been discreet when he was trying. Daniel had a difficult time hiding his traits and acting opposite his instincts but he was really trying his best, so he was hard on himself and frustrated to hear that. His friends and Seongwoo praised him often but he thought he could still do a better job.

He wanted to make even quicker progress. For Seongwoo. He wanted to be a boyfriend that Seongwoo was proud of and could show off without any worry. He didn't want humans to be able to tell he was any different and he hated the idea of bringing anymore shame and trouble to Seongwoo. It was awful when the patient, forgiving man had occasionally blown up at him for his thoughtless behavior and constant accidents. Even Seongwoo, as sweet and loving as he was, had limits that Daniel had a tendency to tip toe or cross occasionally.

"Ah, my mate is a he. He is a human being but his ears are soft and squishy and even cuter than mine. I hope you won’t feel weird around me. I’m not that different from humans. I sleep in a bed and use the bathroom and shower standing up and I even have allergies. To seafood."

She smiled brightly. "Oh, me too. It really being allergiec to that in this peninsula country. There's a lot of things we can't eat because of that."

"Are you thirsty? I'll buy you something. I want to celebrate and thank you. You're the first human friend after my mate and the first girl to accept me."

She snorted in a cute sort of way. "Like I would refuse anything free, Dan. Melon milk, please."

Out of kindness, Daniel rung himself up for honey almond peanuts, cheesy potato chips, and melon milk for her because he noticed they were her favorites. She was often eying it but didn't eat it that often because she was on a diet. Daniel didn't see why she needed it. People should just stay the way they are he figured.

He wouldn't ever say Seongwoo needed to lose weight though every day he looked at himself shirtless in the mirror and complained about his fat to muscle ratio. Daniel would hug him and make him look away, insisting that he was perfect and if he lost an inch off his waist even, then he was going to throw a fit and then force-feed him sugary doughnuts.

 "Why would people freak out? It's been over the news for some time. I think it's really neat. I envy you your special abilities. What kind of stuff can you do?"

 

 

Daniel told her all about shifters and answered her various curious questions. Then, a delivery came and he started stocking the ramen shelf while Tan Tan wiped the windows. A customer came in with sounding the bell twinkling.

"I would say mid-twenties. Successful model. Not sure if he's buying something though. He looks like he's searching for something or someone. Did he come in and drop something? I would have certainly remembered that gorgeous face. Hey, I'm kind of pretty, right? Do you think I would stand a chance with him? He's really my type..."

"Oh, so you do have a type? Here I was starting to think you only liked snacks and money," he teased as he bent down, putting ramen on the bottom shelf.

She bopped him on the head playfully with the box of cleaning wipes. "Jerk. I am just picky about everything. My clothes, my skin products, food and most of all, the men I crush on. I've got a bad history with men. But, hmm, this one seems really sweet and gentle.... Oh, he looked at me! Oh my God, Dan ,what do I do?! I want to talk to him but I can't. He's so much taller than me. I saw his face. He's flipping ethereal levels of gorgeous. It should be illegal to look that good. Ouch, my heart stings...."

 Danirl laughed and pat her arm after she ducked down next to him, hiding from the attractive stranger she seemed to have fallen instantly in love with. "Oh, come on. You didn't have this reaction even with me. He can't be that much hotter than me. I have got to see who's got you all weird..."

"Don't let him come here just yet. I need to prepare my heart. I should say something he will be enchanted by. I have got to get a date with this guy somehow... even if his smile kills me during it..." She whispered, stars in her eyes and a blush on her caramel, cutely rounded cheeks she was touching.

Daniel peeked over the top of the snack stand. He smiled wide and had a hard time not laughing. He knew just who that was and he understood just how she was feeling right now as well. He had felt the same way weeks ago and still felt the same way he saw the man every day, no matter how many times in the day it was.

"Ah, I see what you mean...I bet you ten times the normal amount he is twenty-eight years old. He works as an accountant company ten blocks down. He is here to buy his favorite Starbucks iced machiatto frapuccino."

Tan Tan noona jumped up with a shocked look, missing Daniel's mischievous smile and the way he looked the suited, tall, slim stranger with his dark locks in classy waves on top of his head and a chiseled, tiny face up and down with hunger and appreciation like he was a juicy steak.

"How did you guess all of that in such detail? And why do you sound so confident? You must know him then, right? Oh my God, Dan, I swear if you know him, please, please, please introduce us and put in lots of good words for me. I will take some of your shifts."

"Hmm, sure I could do that. But it probably won't be the date you're thinking of. It will have to be the three of us and it will be friendly. I do know him. We're on very good terms..."

 "Very good terms?" She blushed at the idea but was scared to ask. "Are you two..." She swished fingers back and forth between them with a dawning look of suspicion.

Daniel walked around the counter, deciding to show her would be a better explanation of what that stranger was to him. "Hyung!"

Seongwoo whipped around with the drink Daniel had pr

Please log in to read the full chapter