Growing Pains

Puppy Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Daniel sit down. I have something to tell you..."

Seongwoo was sitting at the dining room table when Daniel came back from his part time job. Daniel was confused because this was a time when Seongwoo should still be at work. He wondered if he had got caught doing something really wrong.

Had Tan Tan noona told him about playing games or eating the jellies off the shelves? Or was it because he had skipped taking the medicine that Seongwoo had bought him? It tasted gross though! Maybe he was angry at him for forgetting household chores like taking his hair out of the drain or taking out the garbage or missing the hamper sometimes when getting undressed. Well, in that case, he was all in the wrong there…

He sat down across from Seongwoo with his ears and tail drooped down. Only now did he realize there were a ton of things that he could be in trouble for that Seongwoo had been surprisingly quiet and lenient about that his other housemates especially Minhyun Jisung and Daehwi had not.

"Whatever it is, I'm terribly sorry. I will do much better. It's my fault for being careless. No excuses," he said sincerely with his head down as soon as he sat down before Seongwoo could say anything. "Don't break up with me or kick me out please. I'll be better."

Seongwoo looked at him startled for several moments. Then he covered his pretty thin kitten lips as he chuckled. Daniel looked at him with his ears perked and head tilted. He was expecting scolding or at least some stern words and exasperated sighing. The laughter threw him off.

"You are so cute..." Seongwoo murmured, switching chairs to sit next to him and scratching behind his ears.

 Daniel closed his eyes and leaned into his hand, enjoying the touch and relieved that Seongwoo didn’t seem angry. "Why am I cute hyung?"

"You just are. You're always cute."

Daniel playfully growled, not liking to be called cute but Seongwoo often did unless they were in bed despite his warnings and pleas not to. "I'm not cute~"

"How else can I explain it then? You thought you were in trouble but actually this is something to do with me."

Daniel turned and hugged his waist, nearly pulling the smaller, weaker man onto his lap. "Are you sick? Were you fired? Was the boss molesting you?"

Seongwoo shook his head and threw back his headb laughing hard as he sat on his leg and hugged him lightly around the shoulders. Daniel was shook up by how attractive he was. "You have such an active imagination, it's amazing really. None of that. I decided to quit."

 "Eh? Um okay...I knew you didn't like that there but it's certainly sudden."

"Yeah sorry. It just kind of came to me today. I got some extra tasks and it just suddenly came to me. Ah, I can't do this anymore. I want to spend the next decade or two doing something I like. I'm going back to dancing." "Eh? You were a dancer? Since when?" he asked, completely startled.

"Yeah where did you think I learned my popping skills? I was a hell of a dancer until I joined this company. Even danced up to graduating college and took some classes here and there. I stopped just before I met you because I felt tired and depressed but it was the only hobby I even somewhat enjoyed."

"Ah, so you can do that for a living? Just switch like that?" Daniel asked curiously, happily squeezing his mate closer, nearly crushing his slim waist if he wasn't holding back a decent amount of his strength.

Seongwoo shook his head turning, slightly somber and contemplative as he curled Daniel's hair around his fingers. "No, it's not that simple unfortunately. I will be jobless for a little while. I need to train for an audition as a backup dancer. So, money will be tight. I mean, I have savings but I'm not sure how long it will last us while I’m waiting to get hired. A few months or even a year..."

"Ah, no problem! We can cut back on dates and food. I can get another job."

Seongwoo shook his head. "I don't want that though. You're going to feel burdened and tired out. The weather is still hot too. You could have heat exhaustion with how much warmer you are from other humans. I think I can handle a part time job as well and train at night. This means we won't be able to meet as much though..."

"Oh..." His ears drooped again and his voice was full of worry and disappointment.

He didn't like the sound of that one bit. He thought about it for a long while as Seongwoo held him and brushed his neck, comfortingly kissing his shoulder, obviously down about this fact but praying that Daniel would understand and give him permission. Seongwoo tried to hide it but he could tell clearly how unhappy Seongwoo was because of work. Being with Daniel made him happy but the temporary happiness wasn't nearly enough to sustain him through the whole day at that miserable place.

He wanted his mate to be happy more than anything, be rid of his insecurities, like his life again, be rid of the depressing darkness and sadness that hung like a cloud over him when it was time for him to leave their fantasy life. He wanted them to come home and for Seongwoo to feel able to share exciting funny stories about his workplace rather than feeling like he couldn't say anything that had happened because it had been stressful and boring and routine only from start to end.

"Do it baby. Whatever you want, you do it. It's time for you to get unstuck. I want you to spend your days doing something you like or don't mind with people you like at least like, just like I do. I'm sure we can find a way to make it work."

"Won't you miss me terribly though? Or no?" Seongwoo asked softly, sitting up to look at him with slight hurt.

Daniel pet his cheeks and pulled him in for a sweet kiss.

"Of course. I miss you when you're in the bathroom with the door shut even. But that's natural when you're in a relationship. We won't possibly get bored of each other this way. And I will still see you every night and morning and on the weekends. I can deal."

Seongwoo looked at him with a cute pout that didn't match how he looked like a mature business man right now. Then he pulled Daniel in for a few more sweet, emotional, longer kisses.

 "I'm not sure I can deal."

"Aw, baby. Who knew you could be this clingy and sweet. Aren’t you older than me?" Daniel teased lightly as he cradled the man close.

Seongwoo laid on his chest, playing with his uniform collar and name pin, still pouting. He appeared so tiny and fragile right now. Daniel filled with love, finding him incredibly precious. How was a human so incredibly lovable?

"Ddongwu is a baby. Ddongwu is your baby."

"Aigoo, really? How old is my baby Ddongwu?" Daniel chuckled, kissing the top of his head and rocking him back and forth.

"Five years old..." Seongwoo replied with a slir and mispronunciation of the words.

"Aw, too cute..." Daniel cooed, squeezing him tight and raining kisses wherever he could touch, his heart feeling like he was about to burst.

Even though Seongwoo had told him some slightly bad news, he just felt so much happier and lighter. Maybe because he was feeling it through their bond that ever since he realized he was free from that job Seongwoo was leaps and bounds more joyful and freer already. Seongwoo curled into his chest, hiding his blushing face with his hand, loving the attention but also embarrassed at showing aegyo and his clingy side earlier.
“Things are going to be okay, baby. I will hold back from missing you. Most important is that you are doing what makes you happiest. So, go ahead and dance your two left feet off…”

“Hey, I’m not so bad, I swear…” Seongwoo pouted.

Daniel pulled up his chin and bit his pouty, lower lip playfully. “You are incredibly clumsy, sorry to be the one to tell you this…”

 

 

It had been two months since Seongwoo quit his job and started training and working part time. He got in as a backup dancer so at least he didn't have to pay for a studio anymore, which saved them money so he could cut back on his part time work, but Seongwoo wasn't planning on stopping work or training until he had several pay checks saved and he felt like he was good enough.

It was weird but cool for Daniel to see his mate on TV every here and there or in a fan cam from some singer’s concert. Not to be biased, but Seongwoo really seemed to steal every show when he was on stage. Daniel had no idea what to really expect, but Seongwoo when he was dancing went far above and beyond all his expectations previously. He was born to dance. He was like a dancing god. He had never looked as handsome, beautiful, sensual and he was full to the brim with talent.

Daniel missed him, but he tried not to be pushy or let Seongeoo know that. He knew that Seongwoo was tired, focused, and driven too much so to give attention to either of their feelings of wanting to be together now. Daniel took to visiting him at the studio to watch him dance secretly for a bit then getting late dinner after and walking home. They would hold hands and eat ice cream from a convenience store since they didn't want to waste their hard-earned dwindling money on the good expensive stuff, talking about their day.

Daniel thought Seongwoo was admirable. Even with hardly getting sleep because at home they had chores and food to cook and Seongwoo still tried to take care of all of his needs, he was lovely and bubbly with this extra pocket of energy. He was positive, hard working, and always smiling even though his body showed signs of fatigue and strain.

 Because of that, Daniel had done research on how to care for a spouse and specifically one that was frequently busy and overworked. He wanted to be the best boyfriend that he could be and take most of the extra burdens off his mate’s shoulders. He gave Seongwoo massages and pass packs when he had sore tense muscles. He insisted on helping him shower and blow-dry his hair. He started making their meals including lunch for him, though he couldn't do much besides salads and sandwiches Which Seongwoo insisted he liked. He made sure Seongwoo was hydrated, taking vitamins and special drinks that would keep him energized and stop him from losing weight and getting sick.

Since he did this, they felt even closer than ever before. Seongwoo turned cuter and more childish as a result of being babied. He wasn't fully the same man Daniel had fallen in love with but then again neither was he. He was growing up and Seongwoo was...freeing up, living with less burdens, stress, and responsibilities.

Because of that, their personalities and dynamics were changing. Seongwoo was more lively, talkative, and funny. Daniel felt more and more like a human grown up should taking care of his precious boyfriend.

He wanted to do everything he could for Seongwoo. He didn't want Seongwoo to wish for anything in their relationship. He didn't even want Seongwoo to feel he had to do things for him anymore. Daniel wanted to be independent, trustworthy, and reliable, the perfect boyfriend and mate.

For the most part, he acted responsibly as human adults should and didn't do things that would get him in trouble or even any questioning concerned looks. His shifter friends were pleasantly surprised by how much he had changed, reeking of maturity and calm in comparison to how he used to be. They kind of missed him, the younger ones said.

However, Daniel decided he wasn't going to fall into his old habits less he couldn't change back. He loved his makeshift family but simply put, he loved Seongwoo more. Seongwoo and taking proper care of him and ensuring their relationship continued in a healthy fashion for forever was much more important.

 

 

"Hey..." Daniel greeted warmly and softly as he went inside the studio.

Seongwoo paused in the middle of s move to look at him with a bright smile he was panting red and sweaty which Daniel found attractive though it was usually a different reason he got like that. He missed , thinking of it. It had been awhile.

Seongwoo had been too tired and also he was worried about Daniel losing his dog form. Well, Daniel didn't care so much now if he lost it. He wasn't as attached to it as he had been before. He was happy staying as a human and his dog body, though cute, comfortable, more graceful and compact, wasn't so useful. He hoped he could keep being able to change into his ears and tail for a long time because Seongwoo liked them. If Seongwoo was stubborn, then they worked wonders in Daniel getting what he wanted.

"I'm not done just yet. Wait outside." Seongwoo gracefully gestured for him to go back out with his beautiful sno

Please log in to read the full chapter