Night Shift

Who's The Baby Daddy?

Taehyung and Jimin managed to bathe Hyun, gave him a fresh new diaper, and changed his clothes into a more comfortable clothing for him to sleep in. Hyun fell asleep immediately in Taehyung’s arms and they put him on Yoongi’s bed before the two themselves went to bed.

However, Hyun wakes up in the middle of the night and starts crying. Yoongi is panicking and he is mortified. He doesn’t know what to do. Taehyung, Jimin, and Jungkook are already deeply asleep when he knocks on their doors to ask for help because they are exhausted from taking care of Hyun the whole day. Namjoon, Seokjin, and Hoseok still have not returned from their night out with Sejin. Yoongi decides to go back to his room and lays himself down beside Hyun on the bed. He keeps on shushing him and trying to soothe him by his head but to no avail. He gives Hyun the stuffed elephant he was playing earlier but it doesn’t work this time. He is afraid of picking Hyun off the bed. Every time he tries to lift him up Hyung would squirm away and kick him.

Yoongi tries to gently lift him off the bed by picking him by his armpits so he could give him some support and carefully put him in his arms. Hyun looks like he is finally feeling comfortable and suddenly stops crying and nuzzles Yoongi’s chest. At that moment, Yoongi suddenly feels his insides turn to mush.

“Hey… it’s okay, little guy. Hyung is here. You just want to be held, don’t you?” Yoongi strangely doesn’t feel awkward holding Hyun. He tries to remember how Taehyung bounced on his knees to rock the baby gently and Yoongi tries to copy him. “Yoongi hyung isn’t so bad, is he?” He feels a smile crept up on his face as he sees Hyung ling on one of his thumbs. Yoongi himself can’t believe what he is doing at that moment. I’m holding a freakin’ baby.

Then there is a knock at the door. “Hyung, can I come in?” Jungkook’s voice says from the other side of the door.

“Come in, Kookie.”

Hyun is still sniffling but he is drifting off to sleep again as he clutches Yoongi’s shirt. Yoongi cannot believe that he is actually holding a baby in his arms and he realizes that it’s not as bad as he thought it would be.

“Oh?” Jungkook is surprised as he takes in the sight before him. Seeing Yoongi rocking a baby gently in his arms is definitely a rare sight. “Do you need any help, hyung?”

“I thought you were asleep.” Yoongi says as he sits on the edge of the bed, still rocking Hyun gently in his arms.

“I woke up because I was thirsty but I figure I should check in on him.” Jungkook says as he rubs his eyes with the back of his hand. His face is puffy and his hair a mess from sleep. “How is he?”

“He was crying earlier. You must be tired because I tried to wake you earlier but you must be deeply asleep. But I’m fine now. I figured out how to hold him.”

“I can stay here and take shift with you if you like. You’re needed for tomorrow—well today—for the gig at the Hardrock, remember?” Jungkook sits beside Yoongi on the bed.

“I took a lot of nap yesterday so I still have a bit of energy. You, Jimin, and Tae are the ones that did a lot of the work with Hyun.” Yoongi adjusts Hyun’s position in his arms carefully.

“I want to help. Plus, I have too much energy to spare.” Jungkook stresses. “I remember that my little cousin was a pretty fussy baby and he would wake up numerous times in the middle of the night so my aunt and uncle take shift every time the baby wakes up. I don’t want you to get too tired, hyung.”

Yoongi gives him a warm smile. “Thanks, Kook. I’m fine for now. You can sleep on the bed and I’ll wake you when I’m too sleepy to hold him.”

Jungkook grinned and lays himself on the bed. “Okay.” He makes himself comfortable on the bed.

Yoongi smiles to himself. Now I have two babies in my bedroom.

About fifteen minutes later, there is a sound of the door unlocking. “Looks like those three finally returned.” Yoongi gently stands up from his spot on the bed and carefully lays Hyun beside Jungkook. He walks toward the stairs and sees the three men laying down on the couches in the living room. They look so out of it.

Woah… What happened to you three?” Yoongi says as he folds his arms.

“Sejin is a strong drinker, remember?” Namjoon groans. Hoseok is silent and his face is so red. Seokjin is curled up on the couch clutching on his stomach. “And Seokjin hyung got an upset stomach from too much spicy food and soju.”

“At least Sejin is not staying over…” Seokjin says weakly and he groans again. “Remind me not to get too carried away when eating dakbal.”

Hoseok is still silent as if his whole life flashes before his eyes.

“You guys should wash up and get some sleep. We have a rehearsal at the Hardrock today, remember?”

The three groan in unison.

“How’s the baby?” Namjoon says as he slowly get up from the couch to get a glass of water.

“You mean Hyun?”

“He has a name now?” Seokjin gets up from the couch. “Don’t get too attached. We don’t even know if he really belongs to one of us for sure.”

“I mean we can’t just call him The Baby?” Yoongi says as-a-matter-of-factly. “He’s sleeping in my room with Kookie. He’s a bit fussy but we managed to calm him.”

Hoseok is snapped out of his drunk trance. “Your room? Wow… You sure can be surprising, hyung.”

“My room is the cleanest and the safest for the baby so it makes sense to use mine.” Yoongi says.

“Suuuure….” Hoseok grins when he sees that Yoongi’s pale cheeks slowly turn a light shade of pink. “Anyway… I’m going to go sleep. I can’t think straight with all the alcohol. See you guys in the morning.” He walks up the stairs to his room.

“You both look like a hot mess.” Yoongi laughs when he sees Seokjin still curled up on the sofa and Namjoon looking extremely worn out.

“Sejin is heavy. We had to bring him to his apartment and stuff before we can come home. I’m tired. Help Seokjin hyung. He downed four bottles of soju to distract Sejin into competing.”

Seokjin groans again. “I’m just going to sleep on the couch.”

“What happened?”

“He threw up.” Namjoon laughs.

“Goodness.”

“Don’t remind me. Urgh…” Seokjin takes off his coat and drapes it across his body as he curled up even more on the couch. “Just bring me aspirin in the morning when I wake up.”

Yoongi clicks his tongue and goes to the cabinet to retrieve a bottle of mouthwash and some wet tissues. He throws them at Seokjin. “Hyung, at least don’t ruin your teeth and face. We’re going to perform soon.”

“Thanks, buddy. I’ll do it once I sober up more.” Seokjin says as he makes himself comfortable on the couch.

Then there was a sound of a baby crying.

“I’m going back to my room. Gotta go!” Yoongi immediately runs up the stairs to his room.

“Hyung, he suddenly cries.” Jungkook is sitting up beside Hyun who is on the bed. “I tried to soothe him but I’m afraid to pick him up from the bed.”

Yoongi scoops Hyun up from his bed and holds him in his arms. Sure enough, Hyun slowly stops crying but he is still being fussy.

“Maybe you should check his diaper. He looks like he’s uncomfortable about something.” Jungkook says as he rummages the duffel bag for another pair of diaper.

“Do you know how to change him?” Yoongi says as he bounces his knees to soothe Hyun.

“Jiminv hyung showed it to me earlier. I think I can do it.” Jungkook rummages through the duffel bad again and retrieves a square waterproof mat, some wet baby wipes, and a small bottle of baby powder. He lays the mat on the bed. “Hyung, can you put him on the mat for me.”

“Okay…” Yoongi carefully lays Hyun on the mat. Hyun immediately starts to cry again.

There, there… Shhh… Hyung wants to see whether you wet the diaper or not. I know you’re feeling uncomfortable.” Jungkook pulls down the diaper gently to check and sure enough Hyun had wet the diaper. Jungkook also notices a red and dry patch on Hyun’s leg. “What’s that? That looks really itchy. I haven’t noticed it before.”

Yoongi sits closer toward Hyun to see what Jungkook is pointing out. “That kind of looks like eczema. My cousin had them a lot when she was a baby.”

“Do you know how to treat them?” Jungkook says, concerned.

“Usually they are given some type of ointment.” Yoongi says.

Hyun is cooing at them both. He stops crying and starts to make grabby hands.

“Not yet, Hyun-ah. We need to change the diaper first. Okay?” Yoongi says with a higher tone than usual.

Jungkook is grinning widely when he hears it. “You’re really cute, hyung.”

“Shut up.” Yoongi nudges Jungkook’s side playfully.

Jungkook immediately starts to wipe Hyun up and gives him baby powder. Jungkook couldn’t help but starts giggling when he looks at Hyun laughing when he puts on the baby powder on his and wouldn’t stay still. After a bit of struggling he finally puts on a pair of fresh diaper. “There. All done. I’m glad you didn’t poop. If you do, I have to wake Jimin hyung up.” Jungkook boops Hyun’s nose.

“I’m going to check on the bag to see whether the mom put the ointment in there.” Yoongi opens the bag and takes out all the content. He put all of Hyun’s clothes and diapers and found a pouches containing other items. There are another small bottle of baby powder, baby wipes, top-to-toe baby wash, baby oil, some baby lotion, a packet full of baby toothbrushes and, finally, a tube of medicated ointment. “Is this it?” Yoongi says as he examined the small blue tube of ointment. “Bephanten. It says it relieves rashes and dry skin and stuff.”

“I think it is.” Jungkook says as he put Hyun on his lap. Hyun whines, feeling a bit uncomfortable because Jungkook is positioning him at an awkward angle.

Yoongi immediately fixes Jungkook’s hold on Hyun. “There.”

“Thanks, hyung.” Jungkook looks down and sees that Hyun is looking at him curiously. “What?” He grins.

Hyun then starts to blow spit bubbles.

“Ew…” Jungkook laughs, crinkling his nose.

Yoongi takes the cap off the tube and takes about a pea size of the ointment on his finger and proceeds to rub some on the dry patches on Hyun’s legs. “You must be feeling super uncomfortable and itchy, weren’t you? I’ll make sure to tell Jimin and Taehyung to not put too much soap so it doesn’t dry your skin and tell them to put some lotion on you after bath.”

Hyun seems like he feels more at ease and starts to wiggle happily in Jungkook’s arms.

“He’s so chubby. He’s so cute.” Jungkook says as he adjusts his hold on Hyun, getting used to the feeling of holding a baby. “I won’t mind if he turns out to be my kid, actually.”

Hey… you’re still 21, Kookie. Are you sure you’re ready to be a father? You still like to party and play.” Yoongi says.

“I know… But, I won’t mind taking the responsibility. I’m not sure about marriage and those other stuff but looking at him like this… I just get really soft. Don’t you feel the same thing, hyung?” Jungkook says, his eyes shining as he grins wide.

“I don’t know… I do feel a certain paternal instinct kicking in. If he’s really my child, I would take responsibility as well.Of course, I should, I’m not a douchebag. I’m just still kind of pissed that the mom just left like that. But, then again, karma, you know.” Yoongi chuckles. “I guess we kind of deserved it. Back then we were so troublesome and caused so much damage to the bar as well by destroying bottles. Then the unprotected happened because we thought were the , trying too hard to be cool and just picked up some random strangers who throw themselves at us. Remember that we all got tested after that? Urgh… I regret it a lot.”

“Yeah… We should have been more careful.” Jungkook agrees. “And drunk does not feel nice.” He laughs.

Hyun starts to drift off to sleep again and he starts to le one of his thumbs. “Hyun-ah~ That’s bad for you.” Yoongi takes out the thumb in Hyun’s mouth. He then remembers that there was a pacifier in the pouch he retrieved from the duffel bag. “Here you go, little guy~”

Jungkook is fascinated looking at Yoongi behaving this way. “You’d be a great father someday, hyung. Seriously. You looks so natural taking care of him.

Yoongi rolls his eyes and then he yawns.

“I’ll take over for you. I got several hours of sleep already.” Jungkook says.

“Okay… Thanks, Kookie. Just wake me if you need any more help.” Yoongi says as he lays himself down on the bed. “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight, hyung.”

Yoongi falls asleep shortly.

“Guess it’s just me and you for now, kid.” Jungkook smiles as he rocks Hyun to sleep.