Baby Steps

Who's The Baby Daddy?

That night Jimin and Taehyung are finally on their way back from the mall after they received a text message from Namjoon saying that Sejin had left the house. Before they called the taxi, Taehyung suggested that they buy more baby supplies just in the case the ones in the duffle bag aren’t enough. Taehyung then also magically managed to feed the baby some formula and Hyun is now sleeping peacefully in Taehyung’s arms as they are riding in a taxi back to the house.

Jimin glances at the sleeping baby from time to time and Taehyung notices this. “You’ve grown soft on him, haven’t you?” He coos.

“Shut up.” Jimin immediately looks away. “Am not.” He mutters defensively. ”And stop cooing at me.”

“Admit it. You have that googly eyes look on your face.” Taehyung teases. “And you’re all blushy.”

Jimin shrugs. “He’s a human being that needs to be taken care of. I suppose it is instinctual when the situation demands in.”

“Suuuuuure…” Taehyung giggles but he can tell by the slight smile on Jimin’s face that it is so much more than that. He then looks down at Hyun’s sleeping form. “Gee… I wish I know your real name, Hyun.”

“Yeah… Anyway, I can’t believe Namjoon actually spends his own money to take Sejin hyung to eat out so we can hide Hyun.” Jimin reads the text message he received earlier from Namjoon.

“R.I.P. Namjoon hyung’s new KAWS figurines.” Taehyung laughs. “He said that he was saving up for more figurines in his studio but he still gives his money to us and took Sejin hyung out to dinner.” The baby starts squirming and stirs in his sleep. “There… there…” Taehyung adjusts his arms and immediately the baby sleeps peacefully once again. “Shhh… I guess we were too loud.”

Jimin nods and lowers the volume of his voice. “Do you think the new supplies we bought would be enough? We don’t know how long Hyun is going to stay with us.” He rummages through the plastic bag full on freshly bought baby diapers, wipes, baby wash, and formula.

“I think it’s enough for now and I do hope his mom would return soon.” Taehyung says as he looks down at the content of the bag. “Not like we are incompetent at taking care of him or anything, but his mother would know better about what he needs.”

Jimin was silent for a bit. “By the way, even if one of us did get a woman knocked up, it’s quite an -ish move that the mom did in leaving the kid to us suddenly.” Jimin then says. “We didn’t even know she got pregnant. I mean if one of us did get someone pregnant, don’t you think she could’ve warn us?”

“Unprotected whilst drunk is also wrong. Don’t forget that.” Taehyung says. “This is quite a sensitive topic, though. I mean, what would you do if you were in her position? Hmm? She must be in a lot of distress to do this to us.” Taehyung says sternly.

“Argh… I don’t now…” Jimin puts his face in his palms as he groans. “Now I’m doubting whether I slept with a man or not again.”

“We were really drunk, weren’t we? One and a half years ago we were too wild at that party… I have my regrets as well. We were so careless.” Taehyung nods in agreement. “I mean, now we’ve learned from that. Do you remember how pissed Sejin hyung was when he found out?”

“He was like The Hulk. Literally.” Jimin shudders. “I mean, his body is freakin’ huge and he was so mad and he rarely gets mad. From that day on, I always make sure that I always get on his good side.”

“Do you remember this: ‘Is putting your in the ing latex bag so hard to do?!’” Taehyung manages to imitate Sejin perfectly. “‘Next time, think with your brain and not with your dangly bits!’”

Jimin laughs. “He’s such a champ though. He actually spends the next day after that sorting through the security to clear all the footages in the security camera of us being drunk and picking up people to our hotel rooms. But because of him we never have any scandal.”

“Ah…” Taehyung realizes. “Those security footages would help a lot though. You know, to find clues about Hyun’s mother.”

Then it clicks as well with Jimin. “Oh, man… Damn it… You’re right.”

“I guess, we have to it up for now even though we don’t know for sure.” Taehyung sighs.

***

The doorbell to the Bangtan household rings. Namjoon, Hoseok, and Seokjin had left earlier with Sejin hyung to take him out to dinner so that they would not be caught with the baby. It was a spontaneous plan since Sejin hyung had asked for a can of beer. They were relieved when Namjoon came up with the sudden plan. Jungkook immediately throws his phone away on his bed and runs downstairs to open the door. He checks on the peephole and sighs in relief when he sees Jimin and Taehyung. He unlocks the door. “Hyung!” He exclaims but Jimin and Taehyung put a finger on their lips.

“Shhhh… He’s sleeping.” Jimin says and he walks inside carrying the duffel bag, baby carrier, and a plastic bag.

Jungkook nods as he sees the baby sleeping in Taehyung’s arms. “How’s he?” He lowers his volume.

“He’s fed and now he’s sleeping.” Taehyung says softly as he walks to the living room couch.

“I see…” Jungkook turns toward Jimin and helps him with the items he’s carrying. “You bought something, hyung?” He takes the baby carrier and the duffel bag and put them on the coffee table.

Jimin walks to the kitchen counter. “Yeah. We got some stuff.” He sets the plastic bag and takes out two boxes of baby formula and a baby bottle. “I think we should store these in the pantry.” He mutters to himself and proceeds to store all the items neatly in the pantry.

Jungkook, to say the least, is shook seeing Jimin acting this way. “Is he okay?” Jungkook mouths at Taehyung.

“He’s whipped for the baby.” Taehyung chuckles as he rocks the baby in his arms. “Ah… we should give Hyun a bath and change his clothes.”

“Hyun?” Jungkook sits beside Taehyung as he looks at the baby curiously.

“That’s his name. For now at least until we find out his real name.” Taehyung says fondly. “Can he sleep in your room, Kookie? My room is kind of full with all of my stuff and Yeontan’s things. I don’t think it’s a good idea if he sleeps there.”

“But my room is full of electrical things and gym stuff. There’s barely any room even for my own bed now.” Jungkook says nervously. “Plus… I’m pretty at taking care of babies if you haven’t noticed.”

“What about Yoongi-hyung’s room? His is pretty neat and clean and there’s lots of room there. He also hates loud noises so it’s peaceful there.” Jimin says as he sits across from them after he finished storing all the baby stuff away.

“Would he mind, though?” Taehyung says.

“I won’t.” A voice from up the stairs says. “The baby can sleep in my room.” Yoongi says as he walks down the stairs. “I heard you guys talking and then I heard my name. How is he?”

The three maknae line’s eyes are wide with surprise seeing how calm and willing Yoongi is being, so different than when he was acting earlier when he sees the baby.

“He’s asleep now.” Jimin says. “Is it okay, hyung?” He always talk differently with the all the hyungs because his tone of voice always become higher and he would slightly give the look of a frightened puppy every time he asks them for a favor.

Jungkook gives Taehyung a look, knowing that Yoongi always have a soft spot from Jimin. They both smile knowingly at one another.

“Sure, Chim.” Yoongi says cooly and he goes straight to the kitchen and fills a cup of water. “I’m going to be in my room to prepare his bed. Just knock when he’s ready to sleep.” He goes up the stairs once again.

“Okay~” The three maknaes say in unison. 

“Classic tsundere Yoongi. Good job, hyung~” Jungkook gives Jimin two thumbs up.

Jimin smiles. “He’s a softy and we sure as hell know it.”

“Should we at least change his clothes before he sleeps?” Taehyung says worriedly. Just as he said it, the baby started squirming again and he slowly opens his eyes as looks up at him. Hyun’s lips starts trembling and he starts to cry. “There… There…” Taehyung stands up and rocks the baby in his arms, trying to soothe him.

“Let’s go to the bathroom and give him a bath. We don’t know how to give him a bath so I think we should bathe him with a soft washcloth. I’m still nervous.” Jimin says frantically.

“Yeah, yeah… My niece and nephew love their bath time before they sleep.” Taehyung agrees.

Jungkook stares at the two. He really doesn’t know what to do. “What should I do?”

“Ummm…” Jimin wracks his brain. “Ah!” He goes to the duffel bag and retrieves the elephant plushy. “Here. Play with him a bit.” He hands Jungkook the toy. “I’m going to look stuff up on the internet on how to put the baby to sleep and how to give him a bath.”

Jungkook stares at the stuffed elephant in his hands. “O-okay.” He goes beside Taehyung and starts to make funny faces and play with Hyun. The baby stops crying as he looks at Jungkook from Taehyung’s shoulder. Taehyung laughs hard when he sees Jungkook acting silly in front of the baby.

Jimin sits and pulls out his phone and starts to read to take in as much information as he can. “Oh, man. There’s so many stuff. Okay.” He says to himself as he reads quickly.

“Tell us.” Taehyung says as he keeps rocking the baby.

“We have to be careful about the bed he sleeps in. Don’t place him on the couch and places that could make him stuck.” Jimin says after reading an article. “We want him to not overheat and he should not sleep alone so someone should supervise him at all times. He needs to sleep in comfortable clothes so his overalls are out. The granny said earlier said he’s about six or seven months old so he’s able to roll over and crawl a bit so we really need to watch out.” He reads again.  “Ummm… make sure that he sleeps on his back because that’s the safest but let him find a comfortable position when he sleeps… Also be careful of things that might block his breathing when he sleeps, like blanket and pillows for example…”

“Why?” Jungkook says as he boops Hyun’s nose with the elephant doll. Hyun gives a small giggle.

“It’s to reduce risk of suffocation.” Jimin says grimly as he continues reading.

“Yikes.” Taehyung holds Hyun tighter, his eyes got a bit teary. “I won’t let that happen.”

“As for giving him a bath, we have to make sure that his head is above water at all times and don’t let water get to his nose, mouth, and eyes. Don’t immerse him completely like adults do. That is the safest. So we need the water level to be low and the temperature lukewarm so he wouldn’t overheat. Again, always supervise him.” Jimin finishes reading and put down his phone. “But I’m too nervous to do that so we can just use washcloth for now to wash him.”

“Noted.” Taehyung says. “I’m nervous too. I only know how to calm him and play with him. All of these are new information.”

“You guys are nervous. I’m actually ing scared.” Jungkook is still processing all the information.

“Jungkook! Language!” Taehyung gasps.

“He’s a baby. He doesn’t understand, hyung.” Jungkook laughs.

Taehyung pouts. “Still…”

"Hey you cursed a lot near him too, Tae. Don't be a hypocrite." Jimin laughs.

Hyun looks up at Taehyung and gives him a raspberry.

“Argh…” Taehyung is about to curse as he wipes the spit that got to his face.

“Karma’s a .” Jimin giggles.

Taehyung glares at him.

“What’s with that look? You laughed at me when he did that to me.” Jimin says defensively.

“Whatever.” Taehyung rolls his eyes.

“Watch your tone. I’m older than you!” Jimin says, his tone of voice rising.

“Yeah, by a few months.” Taehyung mutters loudly.

“You do the diaper duty next.” Jimin pouts.

Jungkook puts his hand up before they argue any further. “Stop! Okay. Quit bickering. Now that he’s calm, what do we do?” 

“Right. Since we fed him earlier, we can give him a bath, change his clothes, and put him to bed.” Jimin says plainly.

“Oh. That sounds easy enough.” Taehyung says and Jungkook agrees.

They are wrong.