Moonstar

A tattoo of three small stars

BYUL’s POV

 

“No”

“What did you say?”

“I said I won’t go. I don’t want to be a doctor. Why won’t your understand?”

We were having dinner together as whole family; my dad, my mom, my brother and his wife and my little sis. Today is a special day, my dad just announce that my brother is going to be replacing him as a Dean of our family hospital. The hospital was belong to my great grandfather which is once known to be the best surgeon ever in South Korea. He’s was a legend. Then it was passed to my grandfather, soon to my father and now it’s belong to my brother. Everyone in our family hierarchy is a doctor or a surgeon or a specialist. My dad married to my mom who’s known to be the best Cardiologists in South Korea. Same goes to my brother who decide to marry an expert in Neurologists, she’s a daughter of one of my dad’s friend. My dad is planning to keep the family tradition. We are given no choice but to be a doctor or a surgeon.  

Rather that following my dad’s dream. I have my own plan for my future. Which is something to do with music. A composer. I love listening to a music, the sound of music make us nostalgic, or energized, or calm. I first fall in love in music was when a close friend of mine got me a gift for my 10th birthday, an iPod. He said that I always look lifeless and emotionless, maybe music could change me and it did. The iPod never leave my side. Later on my 16th birthday he brought me to a concert, Bi Rain concert. It was the first ever concert I went to. That was when I decided I don’t want to be a doctor. On my 18th birthday he took me to a music company. He introduced me to a director of the company and I show him my piece. I took me a lot of courage to finally agree to see the director, if wasn’t for him who constantly pestered me I won’t be working there now.

That’s right I’m a music composer, they play my song almost everywhere I go. On the street, on the radio, on the television and even in the club. I’ve composed a lot of music to some big names like Big Bang, Sistar, 2ne1 and Girl’s Generation. Yet my identity stay hidden, I requested for it. I go by the name Moonstar. I’ve become famous among the composer and the idols. A mysterious composer that been composing songs that never fail to secure the top three of every charts. The only people who knows about this is that friend of mine, the company’s director and of course my big brother.

I got up from the chair and try to leave but my brother got up and hold my arm “Byul-ah” I turn to look at him. After years of living in the life that I wasn’t mine to begin with. Last week finally I’ve told my father everything except for the fact that I’m already a successful composer who earns almost a hundred thousand dollars every years. In short he doesn’t know I’m Moonstar. I was right, he was so furious, luckily my brother was there to calm him down. Just like I thought he refused to let me go.       

“For the last time Moonbyul, if you disobey me again I will not hesitate to…”

“To what? What will you do?” I cut him.

“Moonbyul!” my mom interrupt. “How dare you speak to your father like that” she added.

“Mom, dad…” my brother try to calm the situation.

“You are going to the university or I will disown you” my father said. I look straight at him, I couldn’t believe what he just said. I knew he would try everything to stop me, but I never knew he would go that far. He look up at me, slowly he got up from his chair and leave the dining room. My mother follow suit.

I grit my teeth, lower my head down, trying my best not to cry. My brother signal my sister-in-law and my sis to leave them. Then he turn to grab on both of my shoulder and makes me face him.

“Hey, everything going to be okay…”

“I’m going to talk to him, okay?”

“No”

“Byul-ah”

“No, you can’t do anything!” I yelled at him and dashed off to the living room where I placed my black leather jacket on the sofa. I grab it and walked off to the front door and slammed the door behind me.

I scoff as I walks down the street. Who is he kidding? Talk to him? Him? That stubborn and persistent old man? Yeah, good luck trying. This really pissed me off. I need something to distract me from all this drama. Oh right Sandeul!

“Hey, where are you” I talk to my phone.

“Well hello, Moonstar”

“Yah, I told you not to call me that!”

“Rileks, I’m alone. I’m at the studios” then he hang up.

That’s right he is that friend that start all this, the friend that awaken the rebellious side of me. He’s not a bad person, he’s a really nice and loyal friend. He’s also into music. He’s working at the same company as the lyricist. Most of the time we work on our piece together. He wrote the lyrics and I will arrange the music. We make a pretty good team.

 

--------------------//---------------------------

 

“So he’s gonna disown you if you…wow”

“Yeah” I sighed. I sip on the can of coke.

“So what are you gonna do?” he asked me.

“It’s obvious I’m not gonna back off. I’m gonna…”

“No, Byul” he interrupt before I could finish.

“You can’t do that, there’s a lot of people out there who wish to be in your place” he said.

I know what he mean. He grew up in an orphanage, at six a foster parent took him in. All I can say they didn’t do a good job as a parent. His father would yelled and hit him for no reason. While his mother never really care about him, she was busy cheating on his husband. At age 18 he decide to move out from the house for good using the money he earned from the part time job he’s been doing secretly after school.

“You can’t just throw away your parent like that, I’m sure you will find away”

He’s right. I sighed. My parent aren’t that bad. Despite being stubborn and difficult, overall he’s a caring dad. I still remember the look on his face when he find out I was hit by car a few years ago. It was nothing serious, I only got a broken leg. Beside it was my fault for not being careful while crossing the road. I was daydreaming while listening to my iPod. He was so raving mad that he sued that guy in the court with the help of his friend, which is a famous lawyer. I felt sorry for that guy.

Later that night, VIXX’s Ken drop by the studio. We were close friends still he only know me as Moon Byul Yi, the daughter of Moon Joo Won, the famous surgeon. The less people who know my hidden profession the better. We decided to hang out at Ken’s apartment later with a few more other idols. We tells jokes, play games and eventually got ourselves drunk. For a moment I forgot about my problems.

 

--------------------//---------------------------

 

My head hurts so much the next morning but still I manage to run my off to the class. After a few words of advice from Sandeul last night, so decide to just obey my father for now. I was not in the mood to be here and this old man dare try to humiliate me in front of all these people. Mucormycosis? Come on you got to do better than that to face this genius. Oh my god, the look in his face when I give him my answer was so priceless. That’s what you get when you try to mess with me. I look on my watch as walk up the stairs to take my seat, I have to be here for another hour.

Suddenly I can feels a stare from where I stand. I’ve been stares a lot, most of the time it’s because they just can’t miss a chance to appreciate my beauty. These people never interest me but somehow this time I feel like I need to look at this person and stares back. And I did. Oh boy I’m glad I did. She was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. She has long brown hair and brown eyes. Look at her cheeks, they're so fluffy! Did she just blush?! Cute. But wait, I think I’ve seen here somewhere.

 

--------------------//---------------------------

 

After the class end, finally, I head to the cafeteria. I was thinking of what should I eat. I was so hungry, I could eat a cow. I feel like having a Korean food. A Kimchi Fried Rice? Bulgogi? Jajangmyeon? Tteokbokki? Do they even have those here? But then my phone rang, halting my steps.

“Yeah?”

“Where were you last night?” It was my brother on the line.

“At friend’s” I keep it short.

“Where are you now Byul-ah?” I could sense worry in his voice. Why am I being like this? He got nothing to do with this? I shouldn’t be so cold towards him. I knew he was worry last night because when I checked on my phone this morning, there was like dozens of calls from him and dad, also a few text messages from him.

“I’m at the University. I’m on a break now” I sighed feeling guilty.

We talked for a few more minutes before we end up the calls. I sighed again. I lost my appetite. I look around at the menu on the food counter. Maybe I get myself a sandwich only. Quickly I unwrap the sandwich and took a big bite. Then I got myself a can of coke from the vending machine. As I was looking around for a place to sit, I spot a place next to the chubby cheeks girl. Perfect. She say me, but she try to pretend she wasn’t. I waste no time to take the empty seat. Who is this girl? Where did I see her face before? I lean back into the chair and close my eyes trying to remember. I open my eyes try to look at her beautiful face again. Woah, did she just checking me out again?

“Hey, Byul”

I turn around “Kris oppa?” I sit up straight.

He sat down in front of me. I’ve meet him a few weeks ago at a club. He plays guitar for an underground rock band called, Exile. They are pretty famous around the town. Who knew this cool guy who plays guitar like a true rock star would aim to be a doctor. He’s already in his second semester. As we were busy talking, the chubby cheeks girl and her friends got up and start to leave. I turn to look at her, our eyes meet for a seconds before she turn to look away. I didn’t fail to catch a pout on her perfects lips. I chuckled, that pouting face was so cute.

“What’s so funny?” Kris asked.

“Nothing” I smiled.