That tattoo is distracting

A tattoo of three small stars

YONG’s POV

 

“Let’s do this” I cheered to myself

Today is my very first day at the Seoul National University for a four years of Doctorate Degree. I’m so excited, I can’t even sleep last night waiting for today to come. I’m one step closer on becoming a doctor, my dream job just like my big sis. I take a deep breath and exhale before I walk into the class. Its look like the first two rows was already fully occupied as I was scanning for an empty seat. I frowned a little. I was hoping to be on the first row. I should have come earlier. As I walk up the stairs a group of student at the third row caught my attention. They were so into their world, laughing and giggling. I wonder, what are they talking about? I want to join them too.

OK should I join them or not? I’m not a shy person but in this moment I was both shy and nervous. A million thoughts ran through my mind. Who do I talk to first? What will I say? On second thought, maybe not. I might scare them off since they seem really close or even worse they probably ignore me.

I decide to just pass by the group and take an empty seat at the right end of the third row. As I was slowly passing by I feels a light tap on my shoulder. I jump and turn to see a really pretty looking girl standing in front of me. She was almost the same height as me. She looks like a real life version of an anime character, with her porcelain skin, tiny nose and mouth, and strikingly brown eyes.

“Ops, sorry I didn’t mean to scare you” she giggles.

“Ah, no…It’s ok” I smiled.

“I’ve noticed that you were looking our way just now. Want to hang out with us?”

“Huh?” I was surprised by her offered. Did she caught me staring? I should stop doing that. But before I could say a word, I was drags by my right arm to where the group is. They were still busy talking among them as we approach.

“Hey, guys look who’s here to join the gang” she excitedly said now gaining full attention from them as they immediately stop and turns their head toward us. She hooked her arm around mine and she pulled me closer and start to introduce everyone.

“This is Chorong” she started. The girl only nods and smiles. She’s cute and pretty at the same time and she looks super rich. Everything on her from head to toes scream ‘I’m rich’.

“This model like person is Im Jin…” she continue.

“Nana, just Nana please” she cuts and scoff, she seem annoyed. But damn would you look at her. She does look like a model. She could be nominate for the Top 100 Most Beautiful Faces and she won’t only win once but twice.

“Hey I’m Minho” a very good looking guy self-introduce himself smiling cheerfully. He has a pretty smile. I notice his left arm was laying comfortably around the shoulder of the girl that just introduced herself as Nana. They seem pretty close. I’m guessing they are actually a couple?

“Dongwoon” said the guy next to Minho. He’s good looking too but unlike Monho he seem kind of cold, he have a bad boy aura around him.

“And...I’m Irene” she said finally introduced herself.

“Your turn” she continue.

“Hello, my name is Kim Yongsun but you can call me Solar” I said as I smile brightly.

“Solar? Why solar?” Irene said as she pull me down to sit next to her. Others seem curious too.

So I told them it was a nickname I got from my kindergarten teacher. She named me Solar since I was always smiling so brightly and always so cheerfully. Plus my name have the word ‘sun’ in it. Everyone seem to agree with my kindergarten teacher.

Then we talk about a lot of other things like I’ve learned that all of us are at the same age. I found out that today is actually everyone first day meeting each other. It was Irene who gathered the group. I also found out that Nana and Minho has been dating since high school. Bingo, I was right!

Later we decide to changes numbers and create a chat group since we will be together for quite a long time. As we continue talking, I’ve suddenly realise something. What is this? I thought to myself. Why are all these people so good looking and pretty? Aren’t they supposed to be an idol instead? Are they really here to be a doctor? People are going to hurts themselves on purpose just to meet them. I glance around and I got a feeling I’m not the only one think so. I was right. I notice some of the other student can’t stop stealing a few glance over at us.

 

--------------------//---------------------------

 

As I was busy taking note from the lecture, suddenly a student appear by the door and stop the lecturer from his speech. Everyone in the room turns their head to look at her. The girl, she have long silver hair which is tied up in a high ponytail. Her forehead are covered with coma fringe. She’s wearing a black leather jacket, and ripped jeans.

“Well someone early” he said.

I look at my watch, wow he’s right she’s an hour late. As if she did nothing wrong she walk in heading to the stairs. How rude. I thought. She should at least apologize for being late. I was not the only one who think so, I can hears whispers coming from everywhere. “How rude” “Wow, she got guts” “She’s bold” and more.

“Since you are here, care to share your thought about Mucormycosis diseases?” he stopped her.

She did stopped in her tracks. She chuckles and chanced a glance over her shoulder before she turn around and face him.

“Mucormycosis, previously called zygomycosis is a serious but rare fungal infection caused by a group of moulds called Mucormycetes. These moulds live throughout the environment. Mucormycosis mainly affects people with weakened immune systems and can occur in nearly any part of the body. It most commonly affects the sinuses or the lungs after inhaling fungal spores from the air, or the skin after the fungus enters the skin through a cut, scrape, burn, or other type of skin trauma” she answered in one breath.

Wow, who the hell is she? That’s a perfect explanation. She even know the disease other name. I can see the lecturer face turns a little sours. I bet he didn’t see that one coming. Again everyone in the room start to whispers among them but this time they praise her. Everyone can’t help but impress with how smooth she answer.

“Anymore question?” she asked.

He clear his throat. “None”

She turns around and proceed to walks up the stairs to an empty seat that happen to be two rows behind me at the left end. The lecturer could only shakes his head and continue his speech and everyone resume to focus on the lecture. As she slowly getting close I can’t help but scanning. This is a habit of mine. I like to stare at others that I find interesting?

From a far I could already tell that there is another beauty just walk in. As she slowly getting close, I can’t help but stunned again by her irresistibly handsome appearance and her commanding masculine aura. She has a pointy face a complete opposite of mine which is very round. Her cheekbones were high, nose pointed even her chin pointed making the side of her face to be considered very attractive.

But what really caught her attention was the tattoo of three small stars on her neck. I can’t stop wondering, what’s story behind the tattoo. I’ve always heard every tattoo has its own life story. Some people got tattoos for their own personal satisfaction. I keep on staring till she settle down on her seat. Suddenly I felt the blush that heated my cheeks as her eyes caught me staring. I froze. Shaking my head, I turn my attention back to the lecturing and pretending to scribbling things in my notebook.

“Stop staring, that’s rude you know” Irene whispers to my ear and giggles.

I could feel my face turning into rainbow colours now! I was getting hot and felt my face burning with embarrassment.

 

--------------------//---------------------------

 

“Her name is Moon Byul Yi” Chorong said as I sat next to her.

Moon Byul Yi? Where did I hear that name? I thought to myself. We were waiting for our oders at the food counter when suddenly Nana start to asked about the silver hair girl that just make a fool out of our lecturer earlier. Story about her seem to be spreading around the university pretty fast.

“You mean the Moon Byul Yi? That’s her?” Nana asked again as she sat down next to Minho. Irene was already shoving a mouthful of Kimchi Fried Rice into . She doesn’t seem to be interest in the topic right now. I remember earlier in the class she kept complaining that the class was too long and she was hungry. Apparently she’s overslept herself this morning, so she have no choice but to skip breakfast or she would be late for class.

“There’s rumours about her being snobbish and disrespectful to others” Dongwoon cuts in. I silently chewing my favourite tteokbokki as I was trying hard to remember where did I heard her name before.

“She’s a genius that turn down an offer from Stanford University. It’s was all over the news.” Chorong added.

“I’ve heard she actually skip a few years in her studies” Minho added.

Ah, now I remember! I’ve about her from my sister. My sister is the leader of the specialist surgeon at the hospital she is working now. She always come back home and whining about how she was always being put to blame by the Dean of the hospital if any of the surgeon under her supervise did not perform well. I know how she hates that man for always yelling and demanding the impossible from her and her teams. Apparently this cold-hearted and heartless man has a daughter which is they say she is a complete clone of him. Ruthless. I can’t believe we are in the same university and even in the same class.

“She’s here” Nana said alerting everyone to stop talking about her.

Speak of the devil, we were too busy talking that we didn’t notice that she’s just a few feet away. Luckily an earphones was plugged into her ears. She probably didn’t hear us. Right? She’s walking lazily across the room to the only empty table that happens to be next to ours. Swallowing the last bite of her sandwich. She took a can of coke out, snapped open the can and took a big fizzy gulp before placing it on the table.

I watched as she comfortably lean back in the chair and slowly closing her eyes. Calmly listening to her earphones. I wonder what she is listening to. A song? What type of music is she listening too? Wait, why do I care what type of music she listen too? Again I notice the three small stars tattoo on her neck. The tattoo kept getting my attention. I notice how people around start to steal a glance at her. Probably because of her silver hair that stand out to much, or maybe because people starting to recognise her. She’s like a celebrity.

As I was staring at her she suddenly open her eyes and her gaze locks on me. Her gazed stunned me, my mouth dropped open seconds before my entire face bloomed red. I quickly averted my eyes and take a sips on my apple juice. Damn it, this is the second time she caught me staring. She probably think I’m a creep. I need to stop staring at others so much.

“Hey, Byul” I heard a guy called her name.