Unconscious

Last Light

Taekwoon brought Jongup back the next night.

And Jongup was in a coma.

Zelo's face went white when he saw him. He stayed away, for once not talking. Wonsik pulled him aside to talk to him.

'Zelo, please explain. Jongup fell in love with you, but.... you were kids! Little kids!'

'He wasn't in love yet when he ran away the first time. He was jealous. I had just been adopted and he hated me, because I got all the attention.'

'The....first time?'

'The SECOND time,' Zelo continued, 'He was in love. You had been captured already, taken to the asylum. Jongup came back, confessed to me- I was thirteen, Wonsik! I said no freaking way would I date my brother.'

'And by saying that, you broke his heart.'

'I'm sorry, okay? I see my mistake. I've come to....maybe have feelings for him....' Zelo looked lost.

 

The next night the news came back to them that Zelo had gotten caught. They had no idea who caught him, but Taekwoon swore he would save him. He left, and Wonsik followed.

 

(Asylum back room)

Wonsik stared through the grate at the sight in front of him. Zelo was nowhere to be seen, but Taekwoon was standing against the wall, struggling; several men were standing near. Wonsik scowled darkly. He wanted to yell at them to get away. 

Then one man pulled out a gun and Wonsik snapped.

The man aimed the gun at Taekwoon, laughing as he did. Wonsik jumped from his hiding place, leaping in front of Taekwoon, guarding him. He didn't care if he was shot, he would save Taekwoon no matter what.

But it was Zelo instead who stood in front of them, Zelo who blocked the bullet with his own body; it was Zelo, too, who remained standing as long as he could, before he gave out and collapsed. Blood was soaking through his shirt, but he raised his head off the ground again.

It was Zelo too who screamed 'c*nt!' At the man with the gun, and it was Zelo who laughed at it.

But it was Bang Yongguk who fired the last shot, destroying the man whose bullet was killing his son. He knelt next to Zelo, frozen in shock, whispering to him to please wake up, please not be gone.

Himchan arrived just as Zelo opened his eyes. 'Dads, I'm mature now.' He closed his eyes.

That was the last thing Zelo ever said.

 

They buried Zelo next to Hongbin. About a week after the funeral, Wonsik came to Himchan to ask about Jongup.

'He's awake from his coma,' Himchan said slowly. 'He remembers nothing. I didn't want to tell him, "hey, your adopted brother was in love with you and you were in love with him, but he died about a week ago." The poor kid would probably die. That's a lot to take.'

Wonsik nodded. 'And...you really feel up to my wedding? Our wedding, mine and Taek's?'

'It's not for a while,' Himchan shrugged. 'You need to propose still.'

'He'll say yes,' Wonsik said confidently. 'Unless he says f_ck you, that's also a possibility, but I'm pretty sure he'll say yes.'

Himchan smiled a tiny bit. He looked worn out, tired and sad. 'When Yongguk proposed to me, I said "yeah that's cool- Zelo shut the f_ck up." We adopted Zelo before our marriage.'

Sanghyuk strode up. 'Hi dad.' He gave Himchan a hug. He looked just as tired and sad as his dad did. 'I'm going to be with Hakyeon, just so you know. In case you need me.'

Himchan stared down at Zelo's gravestone. 'I miss you, Z. Take care.'

Wonsik bowed his head as Himchan knelt by his son's grave crying. He felt like he should do something, but he didn't know what.

'You were a hero,' he whispered up to the sky, where hopefully, Zelo would hear him. 'We'll never forget you.'

Himchan finished his message.

'I love you, Zelo.'