Dragons Are Real!

Mother of Dragons, It's an Otter!
ejgCq7a.gif
Dragons Are Real!
ejgCq7a.gif

The storm didn’t pass as fast as they would have liked. It raged long into the night and early hours of the next morning, leaving Youngjae to do nothing but worry about where JayJay was and if he was okay. While he was sure nothing bad was going to happen to the otter, after all, he was made to live in the water and had wings and could fly, that didn’t mean he couldn’t worry. Something could really happen to the other, something horrible and he wasn’t ready to face that reality. In the short time that he had know the otter, he had come to really love him and he had come to a decision that he wanted to take JayJay home with him, no matter how ridiculous that seemed.

 

“We’ll never find him now.” Youngjae groaned as he took another step in the mudded down ground. The others were back at the campsite, packing up their stuff while he went out with Jaebum to search for JayJay. “Everything is so slippery and gross and what if he got caught in a flood? What if he’s stuck in a tree or on a mountain? What if he’s dead?! What if he’s dead Jaebum?!”

 

Jaebum grabbed Youngjae’s hand and shook his head. “He’s not dead Jae, there's no way he could be dead.” He said reassuringly as he gently his thumb over the back of Youngjae’s hand. “We will find him okay?” He said as he looked around, biting his lip. “He probably went higher up, since he was around here that means there's like a den or a cave around here right?” He asked as he rubbed his head with a sigh. “I'm sure of it, We just have to think like Jayjay. He's pretty much a dragon stuck in an otter body. Dragons like caves and mountains so..” He paused and looked around. “Is there even a mountain anywhere around here?”

 

“I’m not mountain climbing.” Youngjae huffed and frowned softly. He glanced around the area before pointing up to the trail. “What if we went higher up. You said you found him around here. Or rather, he found you.” he said and laughed softly. “Let’s go up more and see if maybe there is a cave at that lookout?” he suggested. He shrugged and started walking. It was worth a try. And that’s all they could do. They just had to try.

 

Jaebum nodded and followed along, looking around. “I remember where i was when I found him, He was in a bush when he nearly burned my face off the first time.” He said with a little chuckle, shaking his head softly. They walked up the trail a little further and bit his lip, his head looking in each direction around then for some sign that JayJay was around.  “I was around here when I found him… So let's check off the path?”

 

“Okay. Just be careful.” Youngjae said. He decided to check the side furthest away from the drop off area that led to the river. Slipping off the path, he started searching through bushes and behind trees, taking his time to try and find anything and everything that could lead them to JayJay. “JayJay?! ARe you here?!” he called.

Jaebum looked around after Youngjae called out for Jayjay, he stayed quiet so he could hear JayJay’s response if there was one. He jogged further down the trail and looked around, biting his lip as he looked in the bushed and tilted his head up to look up at the trees. “Youngjae! The leaves up here are scorched.” He said as he pointed up to the first few branched on the tree just a few feet away from the path.

 

Youngjae turned and ran over to Jaebum. He looked up at the tree and smiled before looking around. “JayJay!” he called out. He ran up further on the path, slowing as he took in the sight of the scorched ground and shrubbery. “JayJay!” he called again, following the path that led to a large cave opening at the top.

 

Jaebum followed Youngjae and looked around as his brows furrowed. “What is this?... What happened here?” He ask softly as he bit his lip, the ground was burnt to hell and the trees around it still smoldered. He looked up at the cave and grabbed onto Youngjae’s arm to stop him from going any further. “Do you think he’s in there?” He asked as he looked around some more. “Did he do all of this?”

 

Youngjae stopped and stared at him. “What?” he asked softly and frowned. “He had to have. Unless there is a real dragon in there.” he huffed and stared at him for a moment. “Jaebum we have to check. If he’s in there, I want to make sure he’s okay. MAybe he didn’t do this and something else did. He could be hurt and dying!”

 

Jaebum nodded and bit his lip as he held onto Youngjae’s arm as he started walking into the cave, he looked around cautiously before calling out. “Jayjay?” He bit his lip harder and went quiet so he could wait for any sort of sound.

 

Youngjae followed next to him, looking around the cave in slight awe. It was really big. He had never imagined a cave to be this big before. Slipping in further, he paused when he heard the heavy breathing off to the side. “JayJay?” he asked softly.

Jaebum looked over in the direction of the heavy breathing, slowly inching forward with his hand outstretched. He took cautious steps before his hand pressed against something warm, large and covered in scales. He froze and turned to look back at Youngjae as the large, scaly animal’s heavy breathing lifted and lowered his hand. “J-Jayjay?” He asked softly as he slowly felt over the scales before the animal woke up, his hand resting just above its large eye. “Holy !” He breathed out as he scrambled back and stumbled as he grabbed Youngjae, putting him behind him.

 

Youngjae stared with wide eyes as he stared at the creature before them. Stumbling back, he stared wide at the dragon that they had woken up. “Jaebum...that’s a….that’s a dragon.” he whispered and took slow steps back. “That’s a ing dragon!”

 

Jaebum slowly shook his head as he stared at the dragon in disbelief, he took in a shaky breath as he gripped at Youngjae’s arm tightly. “This is impossible..” He mumbled softly as he looked the creature over slowly as it raised his head and uncurled its large wings from around its body. Underneath the dragon’s huge wings laid a small curled up bundle of fur. “Jayjay!’ He called out and started to take a few quick steps forwards, then stopped and quickly backed up again as the dragon let out a threatening growl towards him.

 

“JayJay!” Youngjae asked in shocked. He watched as the little otter uncurled itself and stretched and yawned, blinking a few times. “JayJay.” Youngjae called again and watched as JayJay looked around before staring at him. He gave a soft squeak before running down the dragon’s body and ran over to Youngjae, jumping into his arms and nuzzling against his chest. “JayJay, I missed you so much!” he whispered and kissed his head as he petted him. “You scared me. Please don’t do that again?” he asked, his eyes lifting to look at the dragon.

 

The otter simple nodded and nestled himself against Youngjae's chest happily, letting out soft little coos and squeaks of content as if it had genuinely missed the human.

 

Jaebum still stood there dumbfounded, his brain was taking longer than normal to process what he was seeing. Dragons were real? Was this Jayjay’s mother? He didn't know what to think or even what to say, so many things had happened on this camping trip that he wasn't sure how to handle. “I-...Youngjae thats a dragon… right?” He asked as he looked at the giant beast in front of them. “I’m not seeing things am I?”

 

Youngjae smiled as he JayJay’s head before he turned and looked to Jaebum. “Yes. We’ve established this.” he whispered and looked back at the dragon that was watching them intently. JayJay shifted in his arms and looked back at the dragon, giving out more soft cooes. The dragon shifted then, lowering its head towards Jayjay and nuzzled its larger snout against JayJay’s. It then lifted its head and stared at Youngjae with it’s narrowed, yellow eyes for a brief, intense moment before dragging its tongue over the side of Youngjae’s head.

 

Youngjae stared in shock, his hair now sticking up in place and dragon spit rolling down the side of his left cheek. ‘Uh….okay?” he asked softly and watched as JayJay settled back in his arms happily. “Uh...I promise to take good care of him. And we’ll come back to visit you.” he said gently and smiled at the dragon.

 

The dragon stared at him and gave a light nod of its head as if it understood what Youngjae said. Bringing it’s snout down, it nudged Youngjae towards the opening of the cave and Youngjae turned, letting his legs carrying him out of the cave. “Okay. Um...let’s go Jaebum.”

 

Jaebum blinked rapidly as he quickly followed Youngjae out, not giving a second glance back at the dragon. He shook his head rapidly as he started to cough. “Nope, nope. Just nope. Nu uh. That did not just happen. Did it seriously understand you?!” He asked as he looked at Youngjae with wide eyes. The fact that the dragon had actually responded kindly to Youngjae nearly scared the pee out of him, it was not possible for Dragons to understand humans…. Hell dragons weren't even supposed to exist!

 

Once far enough away from the cave he looked back at it, still fearful that the giant beast might come for him. “what the hell?...” He muttered as he ruffled his hair in frustration. He was utterly confused.

 

Youngjae looked back at Jaebum before glancing back towards the cave as they traveled back down the path. ‘I don’t know Jaebum. I mean we have a son that is an otter with wings and breathes fire. I guess anything is possible.” he said and smiled. “It didn’t want to hurt us and it seemed like it was JayJay’s mom or something related to him. I promised to visit, so we will.” he nodded and stared down at the happy otter in his arms.

 

“We’ll come visit as often as we can. And this...we have to keep this a secret between us. We can’t tell anyone else.” he said firmly.

 

Jaebum nodded slowly as he looked down at Jayjay and bit his lip. “I don't think he sees me as his dad though, he's tried to burn me alive how many times now?” He asked softly as he shook his head. “Who would even believe us if we told them anyway? Other than the guys of course because they've seen Jayjay first hand.” He said and them sighed heavily. “My heart is going a mile a minute still.” He said as he bent over a little and sighed heavily.

 

Youngjae stopped and moved to stand by Jaebum. He smiled slightly and placed JayJay on Jaebum’s shoulder before moving and his back. “It’s okay.” He said gently. ‘Just breathe. Everything will be fine.” he said.

 

Jaebum nodded and sighed as he started to breathe slow and deep, he looked up at Jayjay and smiled Softly. He looked over at Youngjae and wrapped his arms around the younger’s waist and pulled him close. “I’m trying. I'm just so freaked out about this stuff… all my life i’ve always thought about the world one way and now it’s all changed completely.” He huffed out and nuzzled his nose against Youngjae's cheek.

 

Youngjae smiled as he wrapped his arms around Jaebum and rubbed his back gently. “I guess I can’t say I understand. I’ve always been a little odd and believed in the unbelievable.” he whispered and kissed Jaebum’s cheek. “But everything will be okay Jaebum. I promise you that.” he assured him, chuckling as JayJay chirped and nuzzled against Jaebum’s neck as he sat there, perched on his shoulder.

 

“And he does like you. You’re going to be a great dad.” he said.

 

Jaebum smiled softly as he pulled back a little and reached for Jayjay carefully, bringing him around to his chest with a sigh. He held the otter close and looked over at Youngjae for a long moment before tilting his head a little. “What do dragon otters even eat?” He asked suddenly as he looked down at Jayjay and furrowed his brows. “Do we have to walk… fly him? Or just buy him a swimming pool?” He asked and then looked back up at Youngjae and smiled softly. “Well i have always wanted kids, even if it's not a human son it works for me.”

 

Youngjae shrugged and chuckled. ‘I don’t know. Fish? Not sure if they need to be fresh or not. I’m sure we can figure it out. JayJay will let us know, won’t you?” he asked and cooed at the otter as it cooed back at him happily and snuggled into Jaebum’s chest happily. “Come on, let’s head back to the camp site and get ready to go home.” he said.

 

Jaebum nodded and chuckled softly. “If it has to be fresh then it's a good thing our dorms are close to the markets at the docks.” He said as he started heading back to the campsite, he grabbed Youngjae’s hand and held it firmly.

 

Youngjae nodded and smiled held his hand as he walked with him. ‘Yeah, of course.” he said and hummed softly, looking at the campsite that was partially taken down already. “Well then.” he said and sighed. ‘The end of our trip and the start of our new future. Are you excited?” he asked.

 

Jaebum nodded as he looked at the others and smiled softly, then looked over at Youngjae with a small grin. “Guess they got a head start. And yes i am excited, very excited actually. All this is so new to all of this, so bare with me okay Jae?” He asked and squeezed Youngjae's hand gently. He was ready for anything that life threw at them.

 

Youngjae smiled and nodded. “I'll be here with you for as long as you'll have me.” he said gently. “From this day forward, there's no looking back Okay?” he asked. “Just our future.”

 

Jaebum smiled gently and leaned over to kiss Youngjae gently, humming softly as he nodded. “Our future. I'm looking forward to how the college is gonna react to seeing us together after break.” He said as he chuckled lowly, then looked down at JayJay and kissed the top of his head. “You’ll have to behave at the dorm tho. I can't really afford my own apartment right now let alone a pet deposit.” He teased with a chuckle. “Too bad they wouldn't see you as a family member instead.”

 

“Its okay. He can stay with me at my apartment. He’d be a great playmate for Coco.” Youngjae said and smiled. “I don't know how the school will react, I hope they'll accept us.” he said and kissed him softly. “Come on. Let's go home.”

 

Author's Notes
tAHGrMs.gif