You Can't Trust Your Friends

Mother of Dragons, It's an Otter!
ejgCq7a.gif
You Can't Trust Your Friends
ejgCq7a.gif
Whoever thought going camping with 10 people was a fun idea should be shot. And honestly, Youngjae would have probably shot them himself if he wasn’t such a nice and decent guy. Instead, what he ended up doing was sulking for most of the trip up there. There wasn’t anything wrong with camping, or most of the people that he was going with. He loved his friends to death, especially his roommate Jinyoung, but even he was shocked that Jinyoung wanted to join Jackson in his crazy camping adventure up a mountain that Youngjae still wasn’t entirely sure was safe. Of course, when the mountain was named Deadly Mountain, he had every right to be concerned.

Would he make it home alive? Were there creatures up there wanting to chew his face off? Would he survive a camping trip with his all time crush Im Jaebum and his girlfriend….his girlfriend...well . He forgot her name but honestly it didn’t matter. He could care less about the girl he was jealous of, but what could he do? This relationship was an obvious sign that Jaebum was in no way, shape or form gay, so his little crush was all it was ever going to be; just a crush.

“Stop sulking.” Jinyoung commented with a roll of eyes as he parked the car next to one of the five cars already in the designated parking lot. Staring out the window, Youngjae followed the open trail to their left that led up the mountain towards their end destination.

“I can sulk if I want to.” Youngjae muttered to himself before letting out a heavy sigh. “Besides, he’s going to be there.”

“Yes I know he’s going to be there.” Jinyoung said and sighed. “I invited him.”

“You did what?!” Youngjae snapped, his head whipping around as he pointed a heated glare at his once close roommate.

“I invited him. He’s my friend you know.” Jinyoung groaned as he turned off the car. “Youngjae just relax okay? Things will be fine. It’s not like anything is going to happen between the two of you anyway.”

“Gee, way to rub salt into the wound.” Youngjae commented as he opened the door and got out of the car as fast as he could. Which wasn’t fast enough considering he forgot he was wearing his seatbelt and choked himself. His misfortune only amused Jinyoung who laughed at him as he fumbled with the damn safety harness, shrugging the thing off when it finally unlatched before scrambling out of the car. He was so mad, he was fuming. Even though Jinyoung had a point that he shouldn’t be upset about this and nothing would happen between him and Jaebum.

“Youngjae! Come back! Don’t go up the trail you’ll get lost! Youngjae!” Jinyoung shouted as he got out of the car, watching the male go off huffing. His words seem to simply fall on deaf ears.

~*~

Youngjae sighed as he headed up the trail to the campsite alone. Yeah he had no idea where exactly the campsite was, but he was sure he could find it. Besides, he just didn’t want to be around Jinyoung, knowing the other invited Jaebum. He confided in Jinyoung about his feelings after finding out the other was biual. He could mourn to someone about this one-sided, hopeless romantic feeling that was constantly running through him at all times. Jinyoung did his best to comfort him most of the time, but now he was sure the other was just annoyed with him and thus his reasoning for inviting Jaebum, just to piss him off!

Well he was doing a good damn job at it. Even if that didn’t make sense, it made sense in Youngjae’s mind and that’s all that mattered. Sighing softly, Youngjae got to the first trail rest stop and moved to the small little out cropping to the right. There were two benches, a beautiful arrangement of flowery bushes all fenced off around the edge so people wouldn’t fall off and fall to their death. Making his way to the bench, he took a seat and let out a deep breath, eyes moving to stare out at the forest a head of him.

From behind Youngjae came a voice, one that was smug and teasing. Jaebum had arrived just after the two friends had pulled up so he and his girlfriend had seen what had gone down with the seatbelt. “So… How’d the fight with the seatbelt go? Didja win?” He asked as his girlfriend snickered and pecked his cheek before pulling back to look Youngjae over with a little smirk.

“I don't know looks a little like he lost to me, that's a nasty bruise its gonna leave though” She teased, earning a little eye roll from Jaebum. “Well it's true, he nearly killed himself with the damn thing!”

Youngjae jerked at the voices and turned to look at two, his cheeks heating up rather quickly. They had seen? God damn it! Could he not catch a break today? First Jinyoung and now this...with the girl he was jealous over? Reaching up, he ran his fingers over his neck lightly as he looked away. “Are you having fun teasing me?” he asked. Shaking his head some, he stood, suddenly not at all tired as he had been. Did he really want to be around these two, now of all times?

Why couldn’t he just stew in his own anger?

“Actually yes-”

Jaebum frowned and pinched her cheek gently. “Babe be nice, he's my best friend’s best friend.” He scolded and look Youngjae over slowly. “why were you so angry at that belt anyway? Or were you angry at Jinyoung?” He asked as he felt a hand hit his stomach. “, ow seriously babe?”

She rolled her eyes and scoffed a little bit. “Oh hush. You let me tease everyone else so why can't i ?”

Youngjae watched the two with a raised brow and shook his head. “I was...yeah upset at Jinyoung.” he said and shrugged. “Doesn’t matter now.” he continued on as he walked a little away from them. Turning back, he stared at them and hummed. “Well it’s been nice being your amusement but I’m going to go and look for the campsite.” he said. Turning back, he took a step forward before stopping as he bumped into Jinyoung.

“There you are!” Jinyoung huffed before ing Youngjae’s bags at him. “Take your stuff you big baby.” he teased lightly and smiled at him. When he didn’t get a smile back, he frowned at Youngjae, confused. His attention was caught by movement and he looked over Youngjae’s shoulder and stared at the other two.

“Oh, hey. You guys just get here?” Jinyoung asked. “We’re on our way up. Come on. I think Mark is there with Jackson already.”

Jaebum pouted at Jinyoung as his girlfriend pushed past the two boys and started heading towards the campsite. He nodded to Jinyoung and sighed. “Yeah we were running late this morning because princess up there got her period. She went bonkers because she was out of tampons.” He rolled his eyes as he shook his head a little. “Women.”

Jinyoung made a face and shook his head. “Dude, TMI.” he said. “Though I guess it’s good you didn’t knock her up yet.” he said and laughed softly as he started walking. He paused for a moment and looked back at Youngjae and cocked his head. “Jae, come on.” he called.

“Huh?” Youngjae asked as he lifted his head, suddenly aware once more of what was going on around him. “Oh...yeah, coming.” he said. He jogged to catch up to the two, walking with them in silence, mainly trying to block out the conversation they were having while also trying to plan Jinyoung’s death. This trip was going to be so miserable. He was going to absolutely hate it. Well if anything, at least Jackson would be there. He was a very loud and humorous person. It wouldn’t be all that bad.

~*~

“She dumped me!” Jackson shouted the moment the four entered the campsite. “Can you believe it? Me? Jackson Wang!” he nearly shouted. “I gave her all of this.” he said and motioned up and down to his body. “And she dumped me! What happened? Where did it go wrong?”

“Perhaps it was the fact that you’re so full of yourself that you think you’re God’s gift to the world.” BamBam suggested with a smirk.

“Shut up, I do not.”

“Sure you do. You think you’re so amazing that you deserve the title The Jackson Wang.” BamBam said. “Stop being so full of yourself. Girls like honest guys. Wholesome guys.”

“Straight guys.” Jinyoung offered and snickered as Jackson was once more set off.

“What’s that supposed to mean Park Jinyoung?” Jackson snapped. “I’m straight!”

“Sure, and cows are purple.” Jinyoung laughed more.

“Yah!” Jackson huffed and stomped his way to one of the empty camping chairs and sat down. “I hate you all. You’ll regret this! You should be nicer to me.”

“You’re such a child.” BamBam mused and laughed.

“You wanna talk about children? You should have seen Youngjae earlier. He nearly killed himself with a seatbelt because I-” Youngjae quickly elbowed Jinyoung in the side, making the other wince and punch him in the arm. “Yah! What was that for?”

“Nothing.” Youngjae said quickly and moved to the tents not far back. “So what are the tent arrangements?” he asked.

“We’ve decided that the two girls will share a room and then we’ve all drawn names as to who we get to bunk with.” Jackson said and hummed in thought. “Since everyone was here but you four and I drew Jinyoung’s name, that means Youngjae you’re bunking with Jaebum.

“I’m what?!” Youngjae asked in shock, nearly dropping all of his things. He hadn’t meant to react like that, but honestly it was like God was playing with him.

Jaebum raised a brow as he looked at Youngjae, scoffing a little bit. “What? You mad that you’re not paired up with Jinyoungie?” He asked as he rolled his eyes. “It’s not like I’m going to choke you in your sleep. I’m not my girlfriend.” He grunted out and then laughed as said girlfriend got up and grabbed the other girl’s hand, both of them stomping off towards their own tent.

“What a piece of work she is.” Marks snorted out, rolling his eyes. “Come on Jaebum when are you gonna fall to the dark side with the rest of us? Excluding Jackson. Or so he says.” He teased, patting Jackson’s thigh with a little smirk. He knew better than to think his friend was actually straight.

“Of course I say. I’m not into men. Thank you.” Jackson huffed and looked away. “Gosh why is it so hard to believe that not everyone is this world is gay?”

“Oh come on, we’re all a little gay inside.” Jinyoung said and snickered as he looked over at Youngjae. “Right?”

“No comment. Which tent is ours?” Youngjae asked, trying to change the subject quickly.

“The red one.” Jackson pointed to the one closest to the lake and the one farthest from the cluster of tents. Seems they ran out of room. Or rather, the large tree root sticking up from the ground made it nearly impossible for them to put the tent right next to the others like they had been doing. Nodding, Youngjae hauled his things to the tent and carefully stepped out of his shoes, leaving them on the mat outside the tent before stepping into get things set up.

With Youngjae gone, BamBam looked back at Jackson and huffed. “Honestly, are you trying to give him heart palpitations?” he asked. “Pairing him with Jaebum?”

“What? It could do him good to get a little bit of a straight guy in his life.”

“Yeah? That straight guy happens to be his crush, remember idiot?” BamBam asked, the words tumbling out of his mouth before he could even remind himself that Jaebum was right there with them. “.” he hissed as he received the glare from Jinyoung, covering his mouth. “What I meant to say was…”

Jaebum’s head snapped up when the words reached his ears, his eyes went wide for a moment as he looked over towards the tent he would be sharing with Youngjae. “Wait he what?” He asked and looked between his friends. “You knew about all of this?! And you still paired us together?” He asked a little bit louder, grunting when a hand moved over his mouth. He glanced over at Mark and glared.

“Yes we knew, we just… Thought it would be good to actually be close to you so he could not be so… Youngjae about things.” Mark said as he slowly moved his hand away from Jaebum’s mouth. “Just… Please don't bring it up to him? If he knew that you found out he would probably run off. And with us being in the middle of nowhere it could get him hurt or worse.”

Jaebum bit his lip as he looked over at Jinyoung and sighed softly. “Are you really sure this is a good idea?” He asked softly, chewing on his bottom lip. “What if he like… Pops a or something while we are in the tent together?

“Look, we all know you’re anti-gay and , but come on. You’re worried about him being a guy?” Jinyoung asked. “Would it matter if he popped a if he was straight? No. It’s because he’s gay and likes you. Jesus Jaebum. Can you be more of a ?” he asked and shook his head. “If you think it’s a bad idea then we’ll switch. You can bunk with Jackson and I’ll sleep with Youngjae.”

“Won’t he think that suspicious though?” BamBam asked worriedly. “Like we already said he was bunking with Jaebum and there isn’t a valid good reason for the sudden switch unless we tell him that Jaebum knows. And then what? It’ll crush him because now Jaebum doesn’t want to be a man and sleep in a tent with a gay man.” BamBam said.

“Question...why is everyone gay? Did like someone give you all gay pills or something?” Jackson asked and sat back. “It’s odd to me, but hey, I’ll sleep with you guys. It’s not like you’re going to try and molest me.” he chuckled.

“I think everyone is making a big deal out of this.” Yugyeom commented from his spot, having listening to everything. “Just room with him Jaebum. It’s like literally for two nights and you’re not even going to be doing anything together. Just sleeping. God you make it sound like Youngjae is some deviant. He’s a ball of innocent fluff.”

“True.” Jinyoung said and nodded, chuckling softly. “I mean he’s only been crushing on you for about a year. A precious ball of innocent fluff that would never do a thing to ruin any relationship between anyone, including his own relationship with a friend. I think we’re all getting a little ahead of ourselves.”

“Yeah BamBam.” Jackson said pointedly.

“Me?! Jinyoung started it!”

“Okay first of all, since when is Yugyeom ever right? Wow. Talk about a sudden burst of maturity.” Jaebum said while he shook his head and then sighed heavily. “But he is right, and I’m sorry but i just feel weird about it.” He said softly, rubbing at the back of his neck.

“Weird how?” Mark asked as he nudged him. “Come on nothing is going to happen, and if it does just let him down easy okay?” He said softly and frowned. “If you outright reject him like you do all the other girls and guys that hit on you.. It's going to pretty much destroy him. You have to be gentle with this one.”

Jaebum sighd and nodded. “I know okay?” He mumbled as he shook Mark’s hand off him, “I'm gonna get my stuff into the tent then.” He said as he moved to pick up his two suitcases, hauling them over to the tent. “Hey… Jae? Can you grab this one for me?” He asked, trying to at least make it seem like he didn't know anything.

Youngjae turned and looked back at Jaebum and smiled. “Sure.” he said. Getting up, he reached out the front of the tent and grabbed the suitcase and brought it in. “I hope you don’t mind, I gave you the spot closer to the door.” he said. “I figured it would be easier for you, incase you wanted to like hang out with the others or your girlfriend late tonight. Then you don’t have to try and sneak in and like trip over anything.” he chuckled to himself as he moved back to his air mattress and finished making it up.

“Is everyone else here?”

Jaebum smiled a little as he set his other suitcase down next to his mattress and nodded a little, sighing softly. “Its okay, thank you though. But i honestly need a break from her right now, I invited her along so she could hang out with her friend, the other girl thats here.” he said as he laid back on his bed and sighed heavily.  “Yeah, everyone is here, Jackson’s already started his too. Does he ever stop talking about himself?” He laughed a little.

“Girl troubles already?” Youngjae asked and chuckled. “You know, I think it’s okay if you want space. Couples need that from time to time. Do things that they like and just unwind. I mean you can only stand seeing someone’s face for so long right?” he laughed softly and sighed. “No matter how beautiful they are.” he added softly and hummed softly. “Like Jackson for example.” he chuckled. “I heard his girlfriend dumped him. So who’s making the moves on him then? BamBam or Mark?”

Jaebum nodded and smiled slightly at the wise advice, he had to admit, wether Youngjae had feelings for him or not… He did give good advice. “Yeah, I know. But she’s so clingy that i don’t think she would even agree to it.”  He let out another sigh as he sat up a little bit. “I don't even know how to tell. I know that one time Jackson got drunk and made out with Mark but I don't even know if Jackson even remembered it.” He scrunched up his nose a little and shook his head. “I don't know how to keep up with all these kinds of things.”

Youngjae snickered. “That’s what happens when your straight.” he teased. “Can’t keep up.” he said and hummed softly. “First things first. Even if a person is clingy, they should still consider your feelings.” he said as he sat on his air mattress. “Some people just aren’t clingy you know? Or like it. You have to be upfront and tell her. Otherwise it’ll just eat at you and eventually it’ll get the best of you. I’m sure the last thing you want is to get into a huge fight over it and say some things you could regret and ruin the relationship.” he said gently with a sad smile.

“Now about that night. I remember that and I think Mark still has the selfies he took of the two of them while making out.” he chuckled and sighed. “I don’t know. Mark likes Jackson I know that for sure. But he doesn’t say anything cause Jackson keeps saying he’s straight. Poor guy.” he said and hummed softly. “I also think BamBam likes Jackson, but I can’t be sure.”

Jaebum smiled softly and nodded, humming in agreement. ‘Well I guess that's what I get for being straight, constant confusion with what the hell is going on in my friends lives.” He said and tilted his head. “Mark likes Jackson? Really? Since when?” He asked curiously, it was honest confusion. “How do you even tell who likes who between our friends anyway, all of them are so touchy with each other no matter what anyway… It's been like a thing since we all met in the beginning.”

“Well if you didn’t have such an aversion to touching, you would be able to tell.” Youngjae snickered and poked his shoulder. “Everyone is touchy, yes. We all like skinship and it strengthens our friendship. If you can be comfortable touching and hanging off of someone, then there really isn’t anything they can do, other than making unwanted passes at you, to upset you. He explained. “Mark is touchy, but touchy in like he will sit close with you or hold your hand when walking. He likes to cuddle, but only if he can lay on you.” he said. “When he’s with Jackson he’s completely different. He hangs off of him. His arms will always be wrapped around him, holding him close. When he wants cuddles with Jackson, he wants the other to be on him or he’ll lay on Jackson.” he mused and chuckled.

“Plus Mark’s told me of some pretty interesting dreams he’s had of Jackson.” he laughed and shook his head. “We all have little tells that let us know when we like someone. BamBam doesn’t act like an idiot. His meme life disappears. Jinyoung opens up more and is less savage and more genuine in what he says. Jackson….well actually he has no tell so I really don’t know about him. Yugyeom gets overly possessive. He needs to have that person’s attention all the time.”

Jaebum pursed his lips and nodded along with everything the younger said. “Hm, Yeah Mark does hang onto Jackson quite a bit. But I really don’t believe that Bambam could ever give up his meme life for anyone.” He snorted out and shook his head. “But please, spare me the details of Mark’s dreams please?” He asked softly and turned his head to look over at Youngjae. A small smile forming on his lips. He was actually enjoying this time with the boy, he was learning more about all of his friends then he would have been able to by trying to observe them by himself, and it felt good to just talk to Youngjae for a change, instead of all the time.

Youngjae laughed and nodded. “Okay. I won’t tell you the dream.” he said. “BamBam tried once. He really liked this guy once and whenever the guy was around, he wouldn’t dab or do anything that could be deemed stupid or a meme. It worked and the they dated for awhile but then the guy stopped by after class one day and BamBam was just being his crazy self. The guy saw and looked at him and literally said ‘I can’t be with a child’ and then turned and left.” Youngjae snorted. “That was last spring I think, when BamBam went through that emo phase.”

Jaebum’s eyes widened and he sat up to turn to look at Youngjae, then glanced towards the door of the tent and out to where the others were setting up a campfire. “What? Seriously? What the hell.” He huffed and then folded his arms over his chest and pouted. “What a … Bam didn’t deserve that.” He mumbled and then sighed a little. “Seriously though, if someone can't love you for how you really are then… then they really don't really love you.” He paused for a moment before biting his lip as if he had just realized something, his eyes averting to stare out towards the tent that he knew his girlfriend was in. “…”

Youngjae nodded and watched Jaebum’s reaction and laughed. “Oh my god you’re so cute!” he gushed over the other’s pout. He reached out and squished his cheeks some before sitting back, blushing. Damn it! He shouldn’t have done that. But it was okay, right? Right. Because Jaebum didn’t know and it was fine. He had a girlfriend and he was happy and all Youngjae did was just for the friendship. Just to keep the friendship. Cocking his head, he looked at the other before looking to the tent opening and hummed. “Even if a person is clingy, if you love them, you love how they behave because you love everything about them.” he whispered. He reached out and patted Jaebum’s shoulder. “But I’m not saying you don’t love her. But maybe a break is something you need.”

Jaebum froze for a moment when Youngjae squished his cheeks, he could feel the heat rising to his cheeks. That was the first time anyone had ever called him cute or had showed him an innocent form of affection before, he was so used to girls throwing themselves at him and guys trying to his . He cleared his throat and puffed out his cheeks as he shook his head. “I don't know… I really don’t, Sometimes when I’m with her it…” He paused and rubbed his cheek gently. “I need some air.” He said softly and moved to crawl out of the tent. “I’ll be back okay?” He said as he looked back at Youngjae and smiled slightly. His own words had made him realize a few things about himself, and about his girlfriend.

Youngjae nodded and smiled softly. “Okay. Be safe Jaebum okay?” he asked. “Keep your phone on you incase you get lost.” He didn’t want Jaebum to go, he was having fun with the other. But the other wanted to get air, so who was he to stop him from doing it. Besides there was obviously some issues that Jaebum needed to solve on his own so he wouldn’t mind.

Author's Notes
tAHGrMs.gif