So Under the Weather You Have Your Own Climate

The House Play
XSYKOTICA


 


Episode 8: So Under the Weather You Have Your Own Climate
"At the edge of my memory, even that very first step resembles you more and more." - Resemble

A few days later, you found yourself in the same area at the law firm Taekwoon was partner.

“Hello?” the lawyer answered. You could tell he was busy by the mere fact that he waived his usual witty greeting when he picked up.

“Got time for lunch Lawyer Jung?” you asked with a smile in your voice. You tapped your steering wheel nervously. “I’m in the area.” you added a moment later.

You heard a sigh and rustling of papers. “Is that the time?” he asked. He must have put you on speaker phone. “I’d be a skeleton without your reminders. Where do you want to meet?” he laughed at his own self-depreciating joke.

“There’s a restaurant right across the road. I’ll be waiting there.” That place brought back some memories.

“See you in two minutes.” he was already walking.


You barely ordered a glass of water before Taekwoon strolled in; his eyes eagerly looking for you.

“Hello.” he greeted and came around to your side of the table to hug you in greeting. Not a very common thing but nonetheless very much welcomed by you.

“Hi.” you breathed and waited until both of you were seated to continue. “You seem busy today.”

“That’s every day.” he teased and straightened his tie subconsciously. “How did you know of this place anyway?” Taekwoon’s gaze was directed to his menu but his voice was full of curiosity.

“I’ve been here a few times.” you responded quietly. Intrigued by your answer, the lawyer met your eyes, as if to divine what you truly wish to explain.

He thought of all the buildings in the street and which one of them seemed most likely for you to frequent. Taekwoon thought of his own law firm and the answer struck him like a bolt of lightning. They specialized in divorces.

You watched the understanding look directed towards you and wordlessly replied with a shrug; more for the purpose of putting him at ease than anything else. In fact, you could go so far so as to say that the lawyer in front of you put most of the bad feelings you associated with the place to comfortable rest.

As though a window was suddenly opened nearby, an uncomfortably warm feeling washed over you. Your hair was beginning to insulate your head and you felt the prickling of sweat beading your forehead.

With as much politeness as you could muster; you discreetly fanned yourself with the thick menu held a distance from you.

“It’s quite hot today isn’t it?” you asked after the waitress that took your order left. Surely you could not be the only one?

Taekwoon’s eyebrows creased in concern before shaking his head. “It’s actually quite temperate.”

You laughed lightly. “Must’ve been too long outside.” you offered.

Taekwoon thankfully allowed your comment to slide and you steered the conversation into safer waters. You spoke about Sanghyuk, who was back to health as well as the two boys’ latest adventures together. Work and hobbies came up as well. If you harboured any ill will toward the restaurant before, it all but vanished now.

“I have to work late tonight. I hate to ask you but could you please allow Hyuk to stay with you for the afternoon?” you knew he hated asking you favours, especially if they came in quick succession so you simply graced him with a smile.

“We’re past asking. You know I love having him over.” you answered but immediately after you wondered if you were stretching yourself thin. The heat that slowly engulfed your body now travelled to your throat. Every swallow felt like a stone grazing the inside of your oesophagus.

Were you getting sick? Absolutely not! Your mind immediately replied. Though it was safe to say that after Taekwoon, you were the one that had the most contact with Sanghyuk, there was no feasible way you were sick. You were just a little under the weather that was all.

The older man’s shoulders sagged in obvious relief. “I don’t know what I would do without you.” Immediately, you were both aware that you were made privy to a statement that was not supposed to leave his lips.

Your body temperature may have escalated in the last hour or two but Taekwoon’s comment positively set your entire face alight. Your heart raced as you thought of the implication of his words. He found a companionship with you that was less and less about the children you cared for and more and more about something you had not felt in years.

Before you could reply in kind or Taekwoon attempt to rephrase his words, the cheerfully dressed waitress returned with your food and distributed the many plates as though she were not interrupting such a pivotal moment.

Unable to recapture the atmosphere before you were disrupted, you could only rely upon your actions to show the man sitting across from you that you were as far from offended as humanly possible.


“I’ll let you know when I leave work.” Taekwoon offered as he walked you to your car.

“Don’t feel the need to rush.” you assured him. You could not let on that you felt a little dazed. Not enough to endanger you when driving, but enough to make you feel a little ‘spacey’ in conversation.

“And don’t feel the need to play Super-Mom all the time.” he teased as he watched you climb into your car. Despite his light tone you sensed he was serious.

You flashed him a lazy grin. “Says my partner-in-crime.”


“Alright you two, wash your hands before you touch any food.” you hollered at the two bundles of energy that sped with reckless abandon into your apartment.

The general sense of feeling under the weather seemed to triple since collecting Hongbin and Sanghyuk. Dragging yourself into the kitchen to ready a midday snack for the pair, you supposed it was psychological. Being with two children who never seemed to tire only emphasised your rapidly decreasing health.

You patted yourself on the back for making extra food the night before and ran through the motions of preparing the lunch with the movements of an automaton.

Your body felt like it was weighed down by concrete blocks, your head throbbed to the beat of an invisible drum, you were beyond boiling and there was an itch in your throat that you could not seem to get rid of.

“Mama! We’re done!” Hongbin yelled happily and Sanghyuk nodded with a bright smile.

Piecing yourself together momentarily, you showed the best smile you could to each child and followed them to the living room.

“Mama’s feeling a bit tired today okay? You two can have TV time early today.” you sweetly spoke, placing a plate of food and a juice box in front of each boy; ruffling their hair as you stood up a little too fast for your own liking.

“Okay!” the excited voices answered and soon you were reduced to nothing as background noise.

You made a beeline for your room and quietly shut the door. Why was it so hot? You could barely think. You had too much hair, too much clothes, too much everything. You stumbled toward your bed. You just needed…rest. Yes…that was it. Rest…


The theme song to their favourite cartoon began playing, signalling the end to the last episode that would be screened for the afternoon.

Hongbin came out of his daze to look over to his friend. “Do you think Mama would let us watch TV longer?” he asked with a tilt of his head.

Sanghyuk shrugged thoughtfully. “We should ask.” he replied, parroting the advice his father periodically gave him.

The older between them nodded and motioning his best friend to follow, little Hongbin padded over to your room, already perturbed at finding it closed. It was unusual for you to retire so early in the day. Upon opening, the two children found you passed out on your bed. You looked to be sleeping but something did not seem right to either of them. For starters you were not even under the covers and your house slippers were still on your feet.

On closer inspection, Hongbin found your face wet with sweat. Your skin was pallid and your cheeks flushed.

“We should call Dad.” Hyuk suggested quietly; sounding worried and nervous.

Hongbin looked for your phone, finding it not too far away from where you were. The little boy was glad he always asked to use you smartphone, for now he knew what your password was. Keying it in quickly, he did not have to search far to find Sanghyuk’s father’s number.


Taekwoon stifled a yawn even though he was alone in his office. He pushed his chair away from his desk to give himself some breathing space from his work. The lunch he had with you earlier was the exact boost of energy he needed and all he could think of when he saw you drive away was that he wished it could have been an everyday occurrence.

(F/n) calling

Speak of the devil. An absently fond smile appeared on his lips as he answered.

“Dad!” the voice answered as soon as he clicked the green button.

It was not the greeting he was expecting. Even so, he paused at the sound of his son’s voice. It sounded alarmed.

“Is something wrong?” he asked seriously; already sitting up straight in his seat. All previous signs of fatigue vanished.

“Hongbin’s Mama is passed out. She doesn’t look well.” Sanghyuk answered, the young boy’s voice trembled.

Taekwoon pondered the information and remembered how you complained of the heat earlier. As was in his nature as a lawyer, he looked at all the facts presented to him and it did not take him long to figure out that you were most likely sick. After all, you were in such close contact with Sanghyuk the week before.

“Hongbin-ah?” Taekwoon called, his voice gentle and reassuring. He had to ensure the children were put at ease to allow him time to get there.

“Yes?” the boy replied, sounding uncharacteristically reserved.

“I need you to be a brave boy okay? You need to get a wet cloth and place it on your Mama’s forehead. It will help her cool down. Hyuk, you know what to do if Hongbin needs help.” he instructed whilst packing up his suitcase.

“Will Mama be fine?” Hongbin asked with a vulneravility unique to children.

“It’s only a cold. Sanghyuk is already better.” the older man offered before saying his goodbyes.

On the way to his sleek car, he ignored the shaking of his hands and knot present in his stomach. It was only a cold. He could not afford to lose his head. You and two children needed him. The work that urgently needed his attention did not even figure in his thoughts.


Your heavy eyelids fluttered open. For a few moments you had to strain to bring the image you were seeing into focus. Your bedroom? You wracked your brain to remember what happened while simultaneously fighting off the horrible condition your body seemed to be in. You were hot yet cold. You felt disgusting – you owed that to the sweat that seemed to plaster everything to your body from your hair to your clothes. Has your body always weighed so much? You felt as though you could barely lift an arm.

Hongbin and Sanghyuk! You suddenly remembered. With a shot of adrenalin coursing through your system, you sat up.

“Ugh.” You groaned as you sat up in bed only to feel two warm hands push you back into the headboard of your bed.

You moved your eyes to find Taekwoon looking at you with concern. In that moment he looked like the dashing hero you used to read about in your mangas as a teenager. He really was handsome.

“Take it easy. Hongbin and Sanghyuk are fine.” he reassured you gently. In the next instance, a glass of water appeared in your vision.

The cool liquid seemed to bring you out of the daze you were in. Your concentration was thankful for that.

“Thank you.” you sighed, annoyed at how coarse your voice sounded.

Generally you would be met with a smile but as time went on, you discovered you would be receiving no such reward. In confusion you watched as he dabbed a cool cloth on your forehead. When you caught his eyes you saw…anger?

“You should’ve told me you weren’t feeling well.” You only heard his sharp tone once before and to be on the receiving end of it made you feel smaller than an ant.

Anyone would have rightly assumed that he was simply angry at you being irresponsible, what with you carting around two toddlers but even in your infirmed state, you knew it was not only that. There was a nuance to his tone that made you think twice.

His wife. You knew she was sickly before she passed. Perhaps you gave him a flashback he neither needed nor wanted.

“Your wife…” you diverted your eyes to your covers.

Was that it? Taekwoon wondered. Was that why he seemed so impossibly furious with you? Because you reminded of him of the days his late-wife was ill? No, that was not it. The lawyer knew that it was because he was worried for you. Not because you reminded him of anyone but because it was you.

“No.” he answered, wincing when he heard his altogether tone had yet to disappear. “You could’ve gotten hurt.” Taekwoon admitted. He dared his fingers to graze your unnaturally hot cheek.

Your uneven breath hitched at the sensation. Sick as you were, Taekwoon’s relentless presence only seemed to exacerbate your symptoms.

“You probably don’t trust me now.” you rasped quietly. More than anything that thought hurt the most.

“I do.” he was quick to set your concerns to rest. Seeing you like that, Taekwoon could not bring himself to be angry with you anymore.

“I only wanted to help you.” you explained. He was always so gracious toward yourself and Hongbin, you wanted to help where you could.

“It’s my fault.” he sighed. Running a hand over his tired face. “You’ve been spreading yourself thin. Looking after Hyuk last week, doing your own work while still caring for Hongbin. I should’ve been the one helping.”

All you could think was that his wife was lucky to have a husband who was so attentive. You watched in curious silence as he took your hand in his.

“If we both promise to be more honest, it’s fine.” you amended with a smile.

Taekwoon was quick to agree and he went on to medicate you. Medicate was a bit of an understatement. The amount of medication sitting on your bedside table could start a small pharmacy. And the food! You teased that he bought so much food that his money must have been an investment instead of a simple order. Still, you were a little flushed at both the attention and that he seemed to be genuinely worried about you.

“I’ll take the boys for the night and tomorrow if you need.” Taekwoon stated a while later. The sun had already set and he could see you were beginning to doze off.

You nodded. It was for the best. Groggy as you were, you knew you would be of no use to anyone, let alone yourself tonight.

Taekwoon called Hongbin and Sanghyuk, who rushed in much too quickly for your liking. You assumed they had been waiting outside your room for a while.

“Are you alright Mama?” Hongbin asked with a pout.

“I’m alright now. Because of you and Hyukie and Hyukie’s Dad I feel a lot better.” you replied, ruffling his hair. “Will you be fine sleeping over at their house tonight?”

The boy nodded and Sanghyuk promised to look after him. You and Taekwoon trade amused smiles.

“We need to get going now. Your mother needs to rest. Say goodbye you two.” Taekwoon urged the two young boys, a comforting hand on each of their shoulders.

Hongbin and Sanghyuk tackle you in an affectionate hug as if you were not going to see them for years instead of a day or two. You give each a kiss on the cheek and make them promise to not give Taekwoon too much trouble.

“Get well soon. Let me know how you’re feeling later.” He murmured low in your ear before placing a gentle kiss to your forehead.

As you watched the trio leave, you slipped into unconsciousness with a smile on your face.


The next time you were aware of the world around you, it was because you heard your name called by a familiar voice.

By the time your bedroom door opened, you were propped up on your pillow to welcome the sight of a frantic Wonshik.

“Hongbinnie told me you were sick. I would’ve come sooner but we were busy with a pitch.” he explained, near breathlessly.

“It came on suddenly but I’m feeling better.” you replied, watching as he placed the food he brought on your bedside table, right next to the food Taekwoon left for you.

“How’re you feeling? Have you eaten?” Wonshik asked, worriedly placing a hand on your forehead – an action that felt strangely intrusive after Taekwoon kissed it.

You nodded, finding it curious that he chose to seat himself on your bed – or rather what used to be the bed you shared – near your waist.

Under the circumstances you were surprised to find yourself not exasperated by his presence and you were accepting of his concern. You understood that he instinctively worried for you. Though he was the one at fault, the both of you were together for a long time. You knew if he took ill, you would have done the exact same thing, albeit with more caution.

Tired as you were and as slightly awkward as the atmosphere was, you allowed yourself to be open to conversation. More than anyone, your ex-husband was aware of how much you hated being on your own when you were sick and seeming to have remembered this fact, he strove to entertain you with crazy stories that happened during his workdays.

“Hongbin isn’t here.” he asked a while later, once he was certain you would not accuse him of something he was not implying in the slightest. Wonshik fondly remembered how crabby you got when you were sick.

“He’s at a friend’s. His father came to pick them up.” you explained shortly. Your chest felt warm just thinking of Taekwoon.

“He?” Wonshik cocked an eyebrow. He was aware his son had a best friend but what he did know was that the parent of his son’s friend was male. There was also the way you spoke which brought an uncomfortable thought to your ex-husband’s mind.

“We’re friends.” you answered with a cough. For the moment it was true but you increasingly became aware that you did not want it to stay that way. Recalling the sweet moment with the trio in your room was proof of that.

A silence fell over you and you were uncertain if it was comfortable or not. Taking advantage of it, you offered some of your food to Wonshik, certain the man had yet to eat. You knew each other far too well.

“Would you ever consider giving me another chance?” he asked softly. Of all the times he brought this conversation up, it was the first time you saw a true vulnerability in him.

You swallowed heavily – partly to get rid of the phlegm obstructing it.

“I can’t.” you answered honestly. After everything you had been through, the best you could do for either of you was to be honest.

“Why? I can do better, I know I could.” he pleaded. His voice was hoarse with emotion.

“I know it too.” you agreed. It took you a while but you knew he had fully atoned for what he did.

“Then why…” Wonshik’s dark eyes looked to you, unwilling to break the contact.

“Because it would drive us further apart. We’d be happy but every time you stay late at work or leave on a business trip, do you think I’d be able to stop being suspicious? After a while you’ll be annoyed that I keep asking about where you were and who you were with. Before long we’d hate each other and I don’t want that for Hongbin. Right now Wonshik, it’s worked out for the best.” you responded ignoring the tightening in your throat. Enough tears had been shed over this.

“I see.” Wonshik commented a while later; his eyebrows creased in thought. He could see where you were coming from but it did not mean he had to agree. “Friends?” he asked hopefully. The best way to win you over was to be your friend. Much like he was before dating you in university.

You smiled a genuine smile. “Friends.” It felt good to be on friendly terms with your ex-husband; natural even.

“I’ll let you rest. I’ll visit again when you’re better?” he asked.

“Hongbin and I would like that.” you amended with a smile. If anything was a sign to not give up on your little family, to Wonshik it was your smile. Even in your sickly state, it was dazzling. How he had taken you for granted. He saw that now and he would never let that happen again.

“I’ll call you tomorrow.” Wonshik said and leaned in to kiss your cheek. Had it always felt so platonic?

Summoning your strength you sent the older man off with a wave. Once you were alone, you reached for your smartphone.

“I thought you would’ve slept longer.” Taekwoon chided. He sounded like he was busy with something.

“Just wanted to let you know that I feel better.” you answered. Why could you not stop smiling? “How are the boys?”

“Took them five minutes to fall asleep when we got back. They’re happy you’re feeling better.” the lawyer relayed. “I am too.” he added.

“I know you were supposed to work late tonight. Thank you for that.” you still felt embarrassed that he had to see you in such a state.

“Nothing an early morning can’t fix. You’re more important.” Taekwoon balked at his comment; he really had to stop saying things like that.

You were important to him? You were not exactly sure what it meant but you knew you liked hearing him say that.

“Thank you.” you girlishly replied, subconsciously touching your limp hair.

The lawyer cleared his throat. You really were not making things easy for him.

“I hope you’re going to sleep after this.” he ordered. It was important you rested up.

“What? Are you offering to read me a story?” you hoarsely answered with a laugh.

“As a matter of fact…” Taekwoon trailed off, making his way to the sitting room where Sanghyuk’s books were left scattered. “I am. What are you in the mood for? Princesses captured by dragons or brave knights on a quest?” he cheeked; leafing through the options.

Your raspy laugh that resonated through the speaker of his smartphone caused him to chuckle heartily. Your laugh was both contagious and intoxicating. If you were not sick, he would have spent an entire night trying to hear it again and again.

“Princesses! And you have to do the voices too.” you requested, placing the phone on your pillow as you settled into bed.

“You sound like Hyuk.” he deadpanned and he settled on the couch. “Once upon a time…”

As you fell asleep to the amusing voices of Taekwoon’s characters, you thought that you had never been happier to be under the weather before.

█ ▌ If you asked me why I wrote this I'd say it's for the plot but what I really mean is I wanted domestic fluff. The story is starting to wrap up now but the next chapter will be the . So prepare yourselves! I hope you all enjoyed this. <3