First Impressions

The House Play
XSYKOTICA


 


Episode 3: First Impressions
"I tried to deny it but the moment I first saw her, I started believing in God; hearts are already floating over my head." - Feeling

The Monday following the weekend found you driving home after picking up your son from pre-school. As Hongbin excitedly prattled about some or other best friend, you stifled a yawn politely behind your hand as you drove. Though you were grateful to Wonshik for taking over parental duties for the weekend, the tiredness you felt had yet to diappear. Before Friday, you planned a plethora of things that you could hardly fit in the time since you had gotten married and had a child but as the weekend approached, you found yourself bored with those activities. In the end, you slept most of the time in an attempt to make up for the last three months.

After dinner and bath time, you felt yourself mirroring your son in tiredness. It was unusual for you to go to bed so soon especially when the rest of the apartment had yet to be cleaned from the day's chaos. Even so, by nine that evening, you were unconscious to the world.


"Mama! Mama!" you vaguely heard Hongbin yelling and jumping beside you as you slowly regained your senses.

"Hmm...it's still early Hongbinnie. Let's sleep." you groaned sleepily as you opened your duvet.

"But Mama it's late!" Hongbin moved to place his little hands on your body to shake you out of your sleep addled state.

Slowly your son's words sunk in and you carefully cracked your eyes open to reach for your cell phone on your bedside table to find the numbers 'seven-thirty am' glaring back at you. You remembered with a cold feeling rushing over you, that you were so tired the night before that you forgot to set your alarm. Hongbin's daycare started at eight and you still had to get to work. Just great.

You sat up in a rush only to find your son dressed, a little haphazard but nontheless dressed. Your heart melted at how helpful he always tried to be and while you fixed his appearance you praised him.

"Did you dress yourself today?" you asked in awe despite your morning hoarseness.

"Yeah! I did it myself. How did I do Mama?" he looked at you with eager wide brown eyes that you found difficult to say no to.

"You did great! You look so handsome." you praised sincerely and gave the little boy a hug and kiss on the forehead. "Mama needs to get dressed so wait for me okay? I'll make you breakfast to eat on the way." you explained and watched how he excitedly hopped out of the room.

You sighed and attempted to center yourself after the crazy start to your day. Breathing in and out slowly, you looked around your bedroom and resisted the urge to sigh again. It was strange having your own room once more. Not only that but it felt a little sad as you took stock of how large the room was ever since Wonshik moved his things out. That did not even cover how you still slept on your side of the bed even though it had been three months since you shared the same bed. It was different when he would come home late night after night and some part of yourself missed him - everything from his presence to the sound of his gravelly voice first thing in the morning. You shook your head.

He made his choice, you thought as you got out of bed to get dressed for the day. 


You busted out of your bedroom, dressed -save for your house slippers- hair styled in your typical fashion and make-up applied as accurately as your many years of experience allowed.

Giving Hongbin a reassuring smile as you quickly gathered both of your things, you made a beeline for the kitchen to whip up a large travel mug of coffee for yourself and a bowl of cereal for Hongbin.

Both of you ran like headless chickens out the door, down the elevator and into your car, you both breathed a sigh of relief when you were on your way. You noted in the rear-view mirror how excited Hongbin seemed to be and while it was a look that always brought a smile to your face, you could not help but wonder what on earth made him that way first in the morning.


At the pre-school, the moment you went around to release Hongbin from his car seat and place a jacket on him since the air was chillier than you expected, your son hopped down with his bag and ran into the school's gate.

"Hongbin!" you shouted for your son, pacing in your heels to the young boy.

"Sanghyuk!" you heard the shout of some other parent and you felt heartened that you were not the only one struggling with a child with far too much energy.

As you passed the group of mothers from your son's class, you caught a glimpse of their conversation that was no doubt about the new father-and-son that joined the class a month-and-a-half or so ago. Perhaps you were just oblivious since your life was incredibly busy but you had yet to catch even a glimpse of the man or his child.

You finally caught sight of Hongbin near his classroom talking animatedly with a boy you assumed to be his classmate. As soon as you reached him, you immediately got on your haunches to put the jacket on; vaguely aware of a man doing the same across from you.

"Hongbin." you panted, somewhat out of breath as you placed your son in the lightweight jacket. "Why did you run from Mama?" you asked; standing to your full height.

"I wanted you to meet my best friend I told you about. Sanghyuk, this is my Mama!" Hongbin introduced, tugging excitedly at the edges of your jacket.

You looked to the little boy, feeling the urge to squeal. He was adorable with dark hair that reached his eyebrows and a button nose. Looking at him made you idly think of the idea of having another child - until you realized you were barely coping with Hongbin as is and there was the little problem of you being recently divorced as well.

"Hello Sanghyuk. I'm Hongbin's Mama, nice to meet you!" you waved at the little boy with a genuine grin on your face.

It was then that you remembered a man nearby. You did not have to look very far to see him next to Sanghyuk and as if a dam wall broke, the other mothers' comments flooded your brain.

"If I were five years younger..." "Is he single?" "His wife must be so lucky." "Ah~ he's so handsome, I wish my husband would dress that well."

You swallowed as you carefully regarded the man across from you. He was older than you, perhaps older than Wonshik you ventured. He was dressed immaculately in a three-piece suit, silk navy blue tie and a black trenchcoat - all seemingly expensive from your years of experience with your ex-husband. You would say he was handsome, but that decription did not seem to do him justice. He seemed more suited to being a model or even an actor in your opinion.

You suddenly felt self-conscious and wondered idly whether your appearance was as put-together as when you last looked in the mirror.

"Nice to meet you too! Hongbin this is my Dad!" Sanghyuk tugged on his father's trenchcoat. Were all children this excited for their friends to meet their parents?

"Hello Hongbin." Sanghyuk's father got down to the boys' height and gave a friendly smile to Hongbin, who was now slightly hiding behind you.

Finding the man's low yet soft voice pleasant and not half as severe as his face would indicate, you carefully nudged your son.

"Hi! Nice to meet you." he greeted eventually with a respectful bow; causing a surge of maternal pride to run through you. 

The three exchanged a few more words before the man made eye contact with you, causing your face to heat up in a way you had not felt in a long time.

"I'm Jung Taekwoon." he introduced, retrieving a business card from his pocket.

"Ah! Kim (F/n), a pleasure." you replied with a quick bow and berated yourself for still not being used to using your maiden surname. Venturing a look at Taekwoon's business card you found the name of a prestigious law firm boldly printed at the top and found it ironic that the exact firm you had used during your divorce would come up in such a manner. "I'd give you mine, but I left my handbag in the car." you added light heartedly with a little laugh.

You felt strangely accomplished when Taekwoon seemed to share your amusement. 

"I more than understand. They're quite energetic at that age aren't they?" the older man joked, his laugh showcasing his impeccable teeth.

"You could say that again." you quipped while you...giggled? That was definitely a girlish giggle that made its way out of your mouth. Your flushed cheeks had yet to recede as well.

Both of you looked down to your children to find Sanghyuk whispering in Hongbin's ear; watching with large smiles on your faces until your son turned to look up at you with those puppy dog eyes.

"Mama can I stay over at Sanghyuk's house?" Hongbin chirped loudly.

Taken aback at the request you felt secondhand embarrassment at your son's statement. 

"Uh...did you ask Sanghyuk's daddy if that's okay?" you asked instead, feeling exhausted by the early morning diplomacy.

"Sanghyuk already asked me and I said it was okay. How does tonight sound?" Taekwoon replied with such calmness and control that you found yourself envious. His friendly smile returned as he phrased his question to Hongbin.

The two boys looked at each other in excitement and the only thing that followed was an unabashed high five.

"A-are you sure? Tonight's quite soon, I'm sure you're busy." you answered.

Taekwoon merely waved off your concerns with a look. "I cleared out my schedule."

Was it possible to swoon from words alone you wondered? You were awfully close. 

"Oh, well then...I'll make sure to bring his things with when school's out. Thank you." you bowed.

"No need to thank me." he bowed in return and if you were not wrong, was that an air of bashfullness you caught? "Oh! I'm late for work. Excuse me." he said and immediately you realized you were in the exact same boat.

Both of you quickly gave goodbye hugs and kisses to your children before pacing off in exact opposite directions.

As you jogged past some of the housewives that still lingered in the school yard, you heard them comment about how 'cute' it was that both you and the new single father both ran late for work after speaking to each other.

You mentally shivered. What was more scary than the other mothers meddling in your child's life was a group of mothers getting involved in your love life. Having observed their antics secondhand over the years, you could only hope you would not receive the same fate.


As you drove to work, it sparked a memory of Wonshik telling how endearing he found it that the single parents were being set up and that he was lucky enough to have met you, his wife, years before. You laughed humorlessly at that. You wondered if he would find it endearing now that the shoe was on the other foot.

Wonshik calling 

The man had a strange habit of calling as soon as you thought of him.

Placing your phone on hands-free, you answered. "Wonshik?"

"(F/n)! How are you? I barely got to see you when I dropped Hongbin off on Sunday." he replied with concern underlying his tone.

"I've been busy," since we got divorced, you wanted to say but you bit back that particular retort as you deadpanned.

"I see. I just wanted to tell you I forgot to pack in a pair of Hongbin's shoes." he replied and you silently scoffed. 'Forgot'? Yeah right. Memory was one of the things that never failed him.

"I'll come by to pick it up after work. I'll let you know when I leave." you answered, unimpressed.

"Sure. I'll be waiting." you tried to ignore the way he said those words; the tone indicating bygone times between the both of you.

You  promptly hung up and proceeded to park your car in your office's parking lot, thankful your boss would understand your momentary lapse in punctuality.


You were also thankful for the fact that you managed to keep on top of your workload, so asking for the afternoon off did not make you feel as though you were leaving your team in the proverbial lurch.


At home, you packed Hongbin's overnight bag with everything he would need from a clean pair of clothes for the next day to his bathing things (including toys). Any other special instructions you penned neatly on the notepad you kept around, feeling nervous at how you would present yourself as a fellow parent to the unshakeable man that seemed to be Jung Taekwoon.

Taking note of the time, you began on the preperations for the bento boxes you would be sending with the children. Impressive though Sanghyuk's father seemed to be, you doubt he could beat your character inspired riceballs; the thought alone made you chuckle as you made your way around the kitchen, feeling more jovial than you had in a while.


You left the apartment promptly at four in the afternoon and arrived at your son's pre-shool feeling accomplished at the thought of being absolutely prepared. You found both children already with Taekwoon; looking as though he just stepped out of the house so neat he looked. Were you allowed to be envious?

"Good afternoon!" you greeted, a grin plastered at the joyful face of your son.

"Mama!" the other two greetings paled in comparison to Hongbin running to you and giving you a hug worthy of a bear.

"Let me take that." Taekwoon offered, coming up to you to relieve you of the overpacked overnight bag.

"Oh thank you." you answered, flustered enough for a woman half your age.

"Mama what's that?" Hongbin asked at the two brightly wrapped cloth packages you carried with you.

"Ah~ these are bentos for you and Sanghyuk to eat when you get home." you replied with a smile that only your son would know what it meant.

"You mean those special ones you always make?" Hongbin asked, brown eyes wide. You nodded and the boy turned to his friend, excited. "Sanghyuk, my mama made bentos with Pororo riceballs!" he gushed.

"Woah...can you be my mama too?" Sanghyuk deadpanned, absolutely amazed that someone could do something like that.

"I'm sorry. I think he's just excited since I'm not very good with kitchen crafts." Taekwoon admitted and this time you caught the bashful air he carried. It was cute. Wait - cute?

"Not at all." you replied, waving your hands in front of yourself showing you felt no offense - the child was adorable that was for certain. "If anything it'll keep them busy while you cook. I would know." you joked.

"I've never done this before - so thank you in advance." he replied, laughing in a shy manner that showed the crown of his head. "Before I forget, is there anything Hongbin is allergic to?" and just like that you were left breathless at his compentency.

"No, but I did make a list of things that might make things easier. It's in the top of his bag." you pointed to the character bag. You looked at your watch, realizing you told Wonshik you pop by. "I have to go now." you looked at your son and ruffled his hair, giving him a playful pout.

"Okay Mama!" you laughed at how excited he was.

"Remember to be on your best behavior okay?" you said as you gave him a kiss on the forehead. Receving an answer in the positive, you deaparted from the three males, giving a quick wave before going your seperate ways.

"Wait! (F/n)!" you heard an uncharacteristic shout and turned to find Taekwoon waving his hand for your attention.

"Yes?" you answered, feeling quite happy to speak with him again.

"Your number." he asked as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

"My number?" the words stumble ineloquently out of your mouth. You had not been asked that in years and you felt your cheeks flame once more.

"Just in case there's an emergency." he explained and you felt inexplicably foolish. Of course that was the reason.

Feeling embarrassed, you ensured the exchange moved along speedily and quickly left the premises, ears burning all the while.


You texted Wonshik telling him you would be there in five minutes. You felt nervous at meeting him in his new apartment for the first time. Not only that but for the first time in month, you both would be alone. Just get the shoes and leave, you reminded yourself as you pulled into the apartment block. The building was more or less as nice as the one you currently lived in but you felt biased. Now was hardly the time for sentimentality.

You gripped the handles of your handbag nervously as the elevator brought you to the right floor. You took five seconds worth of breathing before pressing the buzzer on the nondescript white door.

"Right on time." Wonshik said as soon as he opened the front door.

If you were able to gasp, you would have. Standing there in in a dark blue shirt and lighter blue pants was Wonshik. You wished you could have cursed him for the fact that he seemed to remember exactly what you liked him wearing. It also promptly served to make you feel a strange sense of self-consciousness. Considering he was a few years older than you, he only seemed to grow more handsome as he aged. It was a fact you always acknowledged even while you dated. You wondered if he thought the same when he saw you or was a worn-out single mother all you seemed to be now? Was that why he...?

You swallowed and walked past him to remove your shoes, idly noticing the feminine pair of house slippers in your exact shoe size.

"Where's Hongbinnie? Is he in the car?" Wonshik asked as he led you inside the apartment that considering he was living alone (you assumed) was tastefully designed and decorated.

"He's at a sleepover. I wouldn't keep him from you." you rolled your eyes. Playing the role of the 'bitter ex' was not your calling.
Wonshik sent you a dazzling smile that still somehow managed to make your heart race even though you were annoyed with him.

"I know that." he said before leaving you to retrieve the pair of shoes. "Here they are."

"Thanks." you replied, staring at the white glass tiles before turning to leave.

"(F/n)...wait." Wonshik's voice stopped you; his tone serious. You turned to look at him. "Stay for a coffee, it's been a while."

Against your better judgement, you nodded your head and sat in the armchair offered to you. You watched with curiosity as Wonshik made quick work of brewing two cups of coffee, while you observed his kitchen. Having been married to the man for half a decade, you had yet to rid yourself of the automatic switch that made you worry if he was eating or sleeping enough.

"Just the way you like it." Wonshik's voice and the sudden smell of delicious coffee shook you from your thoughts.

You nodded your head in thanks and sipped your coffee which was brewed, as promised, the way you liked. If only he was as good a husband as a barista, you joked to yourself.

"You look good." he commented from the chair adjacent to yours a while later; the orange of the setting afternoon sun creating an ironic romantic atmosphere.

You laughed without humor. "I haven't had a vacation in a year, I'm recently divorced, working full-time and taking care of an energetic four-year-old mostly on my own and you dare tell me I look good. I know what you're doing." you looked at him; the coffee turning bitter on your tongue. While you knew he was not saying his comment to be mean - the exact opposite - it still served to sever the last thread of patience you had.

"I wasn't doing anything." Wonshik denied, his body angled towards you.

"Of course not. I guess I must be making up all these nice things you're doing and saying? Suddenly forgetting Hongbin's shoes so you knew I'd have to see you again, wearing the clothes I explicitly remember telling you I liked and the cologne I got you for Christmas last year. That must be in my imagination I'm sure." you replied, standing to leave.

Wonshik mirrored your stance, his brow furrowed. "Is there a problem with wanting to get you back? I messed up, we both know that. But I won't let you forget that I love you - not for a moment. And I know, you're still hurting, that you're still upset but I won't stop getting you or our family back." He fiercely responded, his hand firmly wrapped around your wrist in the strangest sense of deja-vu from three months before.

"Easy enough for you to say. Your wife was not the one who cheated on you. You weren't the one left wondering what you did wrong or whether you were being irritating. You weren't the one left feeling rejected or lonely. So don't tell me you understand that I'm hurt and angry because if you did, you wouldn't be doing this." you yanked your wrist from his hold, eyes blazing.

"You're right, I don't understand because you were, are, too good for me. Even so, I won't stop trying to make it up to you. And though you said all those things, not once did you say you don't love me anymore. Until you can look me in the eyes and tell me that, I'm not going anywhere." what have you done to make him his old arrogant self that refused to give up?

"This is isn't seven years ago when I was happy to be chased by you. I want nothing to do with you and I mean it." you left no room for arguments as you walked with purpose to change into your shoes, making sure to let the door shut with a loud bang as you left to emphasise your point.

Outside, you took yet another few seconds to catch your breath, the conversation on replay in your mind. He was right about one thing. You still loved him. You missed him. But more than that, you knew that you could not take him back. And for that to happen, you had to stop going around in circles of worrying what he thought about you to disregarding him completely.

As you made your way back to your car, your phone buzzed with a texted message.

Jung Taekwoon (06:25 pm): Your bentos were a hit. You were right about the distraction thing too. Mission accomplished?

█ ▌And here is the next part! I find it strange that I'm quite nervous with story considering it's my third but I hope it's enjoyable so far. If you're wondering about Ravi's outfit, I was referring to this masterpiece here!