It's Only Ever Been You

The House Play
XSYKOTICA


 


Finale: It's Only Ever Been You
"I opened this space for you. Melt inside. Close your tired eyes. Now you'll feel my lips." - Touch & Sketch 

Though you and Taekwoon were around the corner from your apartment block when Wonshik called, the journey to the parking lot felt like it stretched indefinitely. Thankfully Sanghyuk still slept peacefully in his seat in the back of the car.

When you readied yourself to jump out of the car, Taekwoon did not seem to follow.

“Aren’t you coming in?” you asked, your eyebrows creased in confusion.

“It’s late.” he answered simply. It was unlike him. Usually he would never leave your side and considering how affectionate he was earlier that evening you felt even more perplexed at his behaviour.

“Wouldn’t you like to see Hongbin? Sanghyuk could stay the night?” desperate was a word you would never use in association with yourself but in that moment you felt like you were clutching at straws.

Taekwoon sighed as he momentarily closed his eyes.

“You and Wonshik probably want to-”

You stopped him by swiftly planting one of your hands over his own. “I couldn’t have done it without you.” you quietly admitted. “Please.”

Brown eyes flickered toward you and the lawyer sighed again. He nodded.


A short while later you, he and a sleeping Sanghyuk balanced on his father’s shoulder were in the elevator on the way to your floor. Watching the father and son pair made you glaringly realize how empty your own arms were. Those thoughts were promptly stopped in their tracks when Taekwoon sent you a consoling smile that told you everything would be fine. Considering his track record, you would have been a fool to not believe him.

Upon entering your apartment, you noted how reluctant Taekwoon seemed to enter and the sinking feeling you felt earlier returned with a dull ache. Still, with the thought that your son was just on the other side of the door, with nothing more than a directive to put Sanghyuk to bed, you rushed into your home and changed your shoes.

In the sitting room, your eyes found Hongbin being cradled by Wonshik – your heart gave a painful thump when you heard your child’s cries. He seemed inconsolable. Jaehwan had a frown on his face, no doubt he tried his best to make Hongbin smile.

“Hongbinnie!” you called, the nickname breathlessly rushed from your mouth.

Your child moved his head from his father’s neck and wriggled to be let down. You both rushed to each other and the peace that settled over you when holding him in your arms was second to none. At first, you were so angry that you thought upon meeting him you would scold your son but all you felt was tears.

“Mama!” he choked; his little fists balled up in the fabric of your coat.

You looked at Hongbin and brushed away the large tears cascading down his cheeks with one hand while the other combed through his wind-blown hair.

“I’m sorry Mama. Papa never visited and I wanted to see him…” the little boy’s lip quivered and Wonshik got onto his haunches to comfort his son.

“Papa was working Hongbinnie.” “I would’ve taken you to him.” both Wonshik and yourself answered; your eyes momentarily connecting.

He hugged both of you and apologized again.

“Are you okay? Are you hungry? Cold?” your mothering instincts kicked into high gear when you remembered your son was wondering around in the middle of the night.

The sudden grumbling that filled the room brought the room into lighter spirits. You laughed, placed a kiss on Hongbin’s forehead and hoisted him onto your hip.

Having ensured your son was indeed safe, you were able to face Jaehwan.

“I don’t think I’ll ever be able to thank you enough but, thank you.” due to Hongbin’s arms around you, you were unable to bow formally but instead you settled on a polite incline of your head.

Somewhere during your little speech, you felt Wonshik hold your hand and instead of shrugging it off, you held on to it for friendly and moral support.

Jaehwan’s cheeks flushed a bright pink and he enthusiastically waved his hands in front of him.

“No need! Hongbinnie’s like my nephew. I’d do anything for him and you.” he answered kindly and the handsome smile he gave you wrinkled his eyes at the corners.

“Then please come around for dinner next week as a thank you.” you implored. It had been a while since you had seen any of the mutual friends you shared with Wonshik.

The older man grinned like the cat that got the cream.

“I can’t say no to that!” he exclaimed and truly any offer of food was guaranteed to be accepted by Jaehwan.

You all laughed and dismissed yourself and your son to the kitchen where you prepared a quick and light meal for him to eat.

It was only when you were calmly watching Hongbin heartily eat his late night meal that you remembered Taekwoon – and the fact that it was quiet. Unusually quiet at that. The uneasiness you sensed coming from the other room prickled at your thoughts until you could no longer ignore it.

You ruffled Hongbin’s hair and told him to stay put before you moved back into the sitting room to find Wonshik and Taekwoon staring each other off with an animosity you had never seen on either man.

“What are you doing with my wife?” Wonshik bellowed; his baritone voice dark and threatening. You noted how he balled his fists at his side.

Taekwoon looked nonplussed at the younger man’s reaction and instead you thought he looked suspiciously calm.

“She’s your ex-wife.” the lawyer corrected. “And my business with her is none of yours.” his words were the equivalent of hurling sharp icicles.

“You bastard!” Wonshik launched himself at the lawyer; his punch landing with a sickening crack.

Like two feral animals, Wonshik and Taekwoon tumbled to the ground, with both hurling insults at each other all the while. You watched in frozen horror as Taekwoon banged Wonshik’s head against the thick carpeted floor and punched him before being kicked against the coffee table; causing its contents to gracelessly fall to the floor with disquieting dull thuds.

You were prompted into action by Jaehwan intercepting the fight by pulling Wonshik off of the other man. You ran to Taekwoon and helped him up before standing in between both men – feeling strangely small in comparison to their hulking figures.

“Can one of you please explain what’s going on?” you asked; sounding far calmer than you felt. The severe pumping of your heart made you feel physically ill.

A smug smirk decorated Wonshik’s bloodied lips. “The friend I told you I lost contact with? That’s him.” he spat in the lawyer’s direction.

“What do you mean?” you choked up. That made no sense. You would know if Taekwoon was one of Wonshik’s friends…he would never…

You turned to Taekwoon. “Is what he said true?” you murmured, looking at his expensive leather shoes.

“Tell her.” Wonshik commanded.

“Yes. But you have to understand-” you shook your head. The minute you heard his answer you stopped listening.

The entire time he knew your situation and not once did he come clean. You felt like a fool. Especially when you thought that for the second time in your life you would fall in love…you stopped yourself.

“You don’t have to look so happy. It was uncalled for to attack someone just after our son came home.” you admonished but your words felt too heavy to have its proper effect.

Wonshik took your hands in his. “Because now you don’t have to worry about anyone else. We can be a family.” he urged.

You pulled away. “We agreed to be friends.” An uncomfortable feeling of déjà vu washed over you.

“Only so I could win you over again. We’re perfect together (F/n).” he explained with a certain crazed look in his eyes.

“What you are is a cheater and manipulator. You don’t deserve to even look at her.” Taekwoon piped up; his voice reminding you of the time he took on the principal of the kindergarten your children attended.

“And I thought as a lawyer they taught you not to touch things that aren’t yours.” he countered despite Jaehwan quietly coaching him to stay silent.

“You lied to me.” at that point you were unsure who hurt you more. Wonshik for lying about his intentions or Taekwoon for lying about how much he knew about you and your past.

“I wanted us to be happy again.” Wonshik pleaded but you refused to show any emotion toward to his confession.

“Tell Hongbin you’ll see him soon and leave.” you coldly stated and turned your back on him.

A heavy deathly silence filled the air as your ex-husband did as you asked. Apparently Hongbin was too tired to have thought anything of the ruckus earlier. Jaehwan left with Wonshik but not before ensuring he would ensure his long-time friend did nothing stupid.

When they left, you first changed and put Hongbin in bed where his best friend still slept completely undisturbed. After that, you retrieved the first aid kit and returned to the scene of the crime to find Taekwoon seated at one of the chairs. He appeared to have the decency to clean the mess he and his friend caused.

You took the chair opposite him and wordlessly began to clean his injuries. Dishevelled and rumpled as he was, he could still rival the most handsome of drama actors – a fact you hated.

When he reached up to tuck a hair behind your ear, you moved away pretending not to have noticed the action.

“(F/n) I’m…” he began.

You held up a finger. “No. No talking.” to drive your point home you began to disinfect the blood from his lip and when he hissed at the contact, you were satisfied he got the message.

Having the impeccable sense he did, once you were finished with your patchwork, Taekwoon got up to leave and paused at the room Hongbin and Sanghyuk shared.

“You can leave him here tonight.” you simply stated before making your way to the front door in waiting.

A minute later, Taekwoon once again stood in front of you – though this time he did not seem to want to leave.

“I’ll be here early tomorrow morning.” he said a while later.

“I’ll drop them off. It’s easier.” you shrugged, keeping the door open. You could not bear to even glance at him.


The cold silence with which you graced both Wonshik and Taekwoon stretched over weeks. Each time you thought back to that dreadful evening, your head and heart started to ache. It did not help that your phone was clogged by alternate calls between the graphic designer and the lawyer.

Because you promised Hongbin that he could see his father as often as he liked, you were forced to see Wonshik – a fact you lamented. Every time you met the man, he would attempt to talk to you but you allowed nothing more than a few polite exchanges. Indeed the same went for Taekwoon. When you ensured your son would be picked up after school with his best friend, you did not bother to pitch. How things changed. You remembered how eager you were to catch a mere glimpse of the man who sent your heart racing like the young woman you no longer were.


You walked into the schoolyard of Hongbin’s pre-school, your thoughts half distracted by wanting to avoid Taekwoon and the other by your work.

“Ah~ Ms (L/n)!” you heard and turned to find the leader of the nosiest group of mothers the school could lay claim to.

Just great. This was just what you needed. Not.

“Yes Mrs Moon?” you answered with a fake and appeasing grin.

The other three women mumbled to each other as if deciding what to ask. The aforementioned Mrs Moon waved you over; her dark eyes alight with curiosity.

“You and Mr Jung seemed close…but we haven’t seen you together lately.” the older woman hinted not too subtly. You were more surprised by the fact that she did not add a wink at the end of her question.

You reacted appropriately by laughing. Those mothers were like sharks scenting for blood – if they caught a whiff of something they did not like, they would hunt whoever they needed to for answers.

“I’ve just been busy that’s all. That time of year and all!” you jovially replied and for a precious moment you believed that was the reason for the break in whatever you could call your relationship with the lawyer.

Mrs Moon looked pleased and she patted your arm with motherly affection common to all the women present.

“Oh of course! My Seungho keeps coming home later and later every day.” she sympathized kindly.

You took advantage of the break in conversation and expertly removed yourself from the sticky situation you found yourself in by mentioning your son.

By the time you reached his class you breathed a sigh of relief.

“Mama!” you suddenly felt a small pair of arms wrap around your legs.

“Hongbinnie!” you greeted with equal enthusiasm as you picked him up and smothered him with kisses. Ever since he ran away from home and returned, you felt even more grateful for every day you got to see your son.

The little boy let out delighted chortles at the action and you laughed along with him. Difficult as the past few weeks had been, your son made everything better.

“Hongbin-ah do you want to show Mama the awesome picture you drew today?” Hakyeon asked as he emerged from the classroom.

Your son nodded enthusiastically and once released from your hold, he bolted into the classroom.

When your friend approached you with a caring yet concerned look on his face, you knew exactly what he wanted to talk to you about.

“How are you?” he asked, offering you a seat on a bench nearby.

“Wonshik lied. Taekwoon too and I’m not sure which one hurts more.” you replied. It sounded simple to you but the emotions that came with it were not.

Hakyeon thoughtfully nodded. “Wonshik knows that what he did was wrong. As for Taekwoon…I tried to warn him.”

Your eyes darted to the older man. “You knew?” you felt like such a fool – like everyone was playing a game that you were not privy to.

“I wanted him to tell you.” Hakyeon explained. “He didn’t know at first…but you have to understand that there’s so much you don’t know.”

“I don’t know what could possibly explain him lying to me.” you shook your head.

The school teacher sighed sadly. “His late wife…when she passed, he was heartbroken. Even though he knew that she was living on borrowed time, he was still never prepared for the day she really died. The night I told him to tell you do you know what he said to me? He said that for the first time he could think of her without pain and he wanted to do the same for you.”

You wanted to be angry, you tried your best but you kept coming back to the fact that he want to help you. Maybe not in the best way but he tried. All those times you pretended to be fine and realizing that he saw through that…the frost around your heart could not help but melt.

“Hakyeon I…” you began but you were unsure what to say.

“I also remember saying that I’d support you in moving on when the time came.” he smiled brightly at you. “It’s time.”

“But Wonshik?” he was all you knew for so long that even trying to consider a life apart from him felt odd.

“He knows whatever you had is over now. It’ll take time for him to accept but at least he understands it now.” Hakyeon patiently explained. It was no wonder children and adults alike got along with him so well, he was nothing short of kind and understanding.

Before you could reply Hongbin came running towards you.

“Mama I found it!” he hollered.

Your son’s smile was the most rewarding thing you had ever seen.


Just as you were preparing to leave the school, you came to the realization that you wanted to speak with Taekwoon, alone if you could.

Hakyeon happily offered to look after Hongbin and told you in good authority that Sanghyuk would be staying over at his paternal grandparents for the weekend.


Driving to the lawyer’s home filled you with dread and anticipation. Try as you might, you could not stop the flow of memories that washed over you as you quietly drove. The first time you met, the first time you son’s slept over at each other’s homes, when he went out drinking and you called, when you got sick…your eyes stung with the thought of it.


At the door, you rocked on your heels once you rang the doorbell and when he answered dressed down in a casual sweater and slacks, your breath caught. You missed him dearly and the thought of speaking with him again caused your heart to leap in joy.

You lived for how his brown eyes widened in surprise before he clumsily led you inside to change your shoes.

“I wanted to talk.” you quietly stated as you followed him inside.

“Coffee?” he asked and you agreed.

Unsure with what to do, you slipped onto the high bar stool by the kitchen island. Having not seen him in a long while, you drank in the sight of him elegantly preparing coffee with fervour. Once he finished and sat as close to you as he could, you could not help but allow the ends of your lips to tug upward.

“I’m sorry.” you both apologized and shared a laugh once you heard each other’s words.

“I didn’t want to lie.” he admitted once he drank from his cup. “You needed someone who didn’t know anything about what happened and I wanted to be that person. I hated what I did.” he urged.

“I know.” you whispered. “I don’t know…at first I thought you wanted to get me back together with Wonshik-”

At this Taekwoon laughed.

“I wanted to be your friend.” your heart sank at that. It stopped when he laid a hand over yours. “But then I couldn’t stop thinking about you. About your laugh, your smile, how happy Sanghyuk was when he was with you…I realized that maybe I never wanted to be your friend.”

You absorbed his words like a sponge in total silence. It was everything you wanted to hear and more.

“What about now?” you asked. Perhaps you were being too coy about the whole matter but you wanted to be sure.

“I’d tell you I want nothing more than to be a family.” he confessed; his smooth and musical voice falling short of its usual volume.

“And if I said I’d like the same thing?” you responded. You became aware of close the two of you were.

This time there were no phones ringing or overly excited children asking for dessert as the distance closed between you. Taekwoon’s usual powerful and confident demeanour took a backseat as he shyly and slowly kissed you. The sensation was familiar yet new as you returned with equal nervous excitement.

You murmured “I love you’s” like bashful teenagers and grinned at each other in a way that would be embarrassing for anyone else to witness.

“Do you think you’ll ever be friends with Wonshik again?” you asked a while later as you prepared dinner together.

“I hope so.” Taekwoon boyishly shrugged, hugging you from behind as you chopped up vegetables. “But you, Sanghyuk and Hongbin will always be my priority.” he added with a kiss to your cheek.

You chuckled as your cheeks flamed red. “How soon can I move in?” you teased, swatting his hands away when he reached for a diced radish.

“How soon can I get you to the wedding hall?” he countered.

You turned to find yourself trapped between the counter and his arms and any witty reply swiftly left your thoughts. Taekwoon lovingly grazed your cheek and just when you felt his warm breath fanning against your cheeks-

Ring ring!

A cacophony of sounds filled the room. Both of your cellphones were ringing with calls from the guardians of your respective children, you looked at each other knowingly.

As you answered Hakyeon’s call, you realized just how much you were looking forward to your new life.

█ ▌Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Thank you all so much for following me on another story and  I hope you all enjoyed the ending. I'll be finishing the horror-esque Numerics of Fantasy next and of course whichever comeback the boys grace us with next. Much love!