Goodbye

The promise made on that summer day

South Korea

“I told you! She isn’t putting her heart in the group now! Where is she? She doesn’t even respond to calls, it’s a mistake to let her start this! Where is her manager?” One of the board members went rage after knowing Jessica can’t be contacted right now.

 

“She doesn’t have schedules today, technically..” SNSD’s head manager tried to defend but..

 

“OH! So you want to talk to us about technically now?! Technically, she is still under SM Ent. It should be the company’s interest first, because of her how many deals did we lose for SNSD? You tell me, who should be accountable to us directors for the losses?” he rebutted

 

Throughout the thrashing, CEO Kim Young Min sat quietly and when he finally said something, it was actually a bomb. “Tomorrow they are leaving to Shenzhen for rehearsals. If she doesn’t turn up tomorrow, we take it as she’s leaving the group”

 

“You can’t do that to her!”

 

“Finally someone said something that makes sense”

 

“Why did you give her hope in the first place and take it away!

 

“This is final! Nobody can have the best of both world anyway” Kim Young Min said and walked out of the meeting room.

 

Oh my god, this isn’t happening. Please if God really exist, let us contact Sica now and what should i tell the girls?


 

“! I still can’t get through to her phone! Damn it!” Taeyeon frustratedly slam her phone on the table. They just got a call from their manager to contact Jessica right now, they sensed the urgency in his tone but he did not elaborate further.

 

“Calm down Tae, let’s go through what we have on hand now. Who’s the last to be in contact with Jessi? I last spoke to her yesterday night.” Tiffany said.

 

“me too”

 

“Mine was around that timing as well”

 

“I last saw her online in our chat group last night.”

 

“I last spoke with her this morning, she told me she’s heading out for a dinner with the business partners. I told her to take care and be careful” Yuri said.

 

“So, our conclusion is, none of us can contact Jess after this morning. Did Jimin unnie replied any of you?” All heads shook simultaneously.

 

Things were going as planned for the girls like what CEO Kim shared the last round, they have completed filming the music video for Divine, the atmosphere was kind of down since they are know the hidden meaning of this mv. However, after that it seems like life decided to throw a curved ball at them. They found themselves being under the scrutiny of the board and sudden demands were made. Out of the blue meetings to attend individually or as groups, being nitpick at for jeopardising the benefit of the company, subtly pressuring them to take sides. This has caused tremendous stress on all the girls, they tried to ask but no answers were given. It seems like they were trying to break them up, after every meeting they would share what had transpire to keep everyone updated. Hyoyeon and Yuri even shared what they heard previously in the washroom with the rest. But now there is a problem.

 

Suddenly, Jessica was uncontactable. They tried to reach her but there wasn’t any reply. She had informed them of her meeting schedules but it has past and she did not get back to them. They were worried for their sister.

 

US

 

The atmosphere was good, everyone was drinking and eating heartily, probably due to the excitement of the upcoming collaboration. Jessica was enjoying herself too, after today, her business would have take another huge step forward. She can’t wait for the day where her dreams come true. The whole morning was busy with all the meetings and discussions and it was only until now that she manage to take a break. Of course the feeling of happiness is never complete if you didn’t share with people whom matters the most and right now, to Jessica, that would be her sisters. Searching for her mobile in her clutch, she just couldn’t find it.

 

“Oppa, did you see my mobile phone?” Jessica asked Tyler Kwon.

 

“Nope, oh wait, it was buzzing earlier non-stop so I hand it over to Jimin noona to hold, otherwise it would interrupt our meetings.” Tyler replied after remembering about the buzzing phone which got him quite distracted in the meeting for a moment.

 

“What?! How could you just passed my phone away without informing me? What if it’s something urgent?” Jessica was mad at Tyler’s actions. Yes, the meetings were important but there are other things important to her as well, her sisters and family back in Korea.

 

“Hey babe, I’m sorry okay, I just didn’t like to be distracted in meetings. Anyway, I passed in Jimin noona, she’s your PA, she would inform you if there is anything urgent.” Tyler apologize immediately to appease Jessica.

 

“You better pray there’s nothing urgent crop up in Korea. Where Jimin unnie, did you see her?” Jessica stated.

 

“She was here awhile ago, probably she went to the washroom?” Tyler said

 

“I will go find her”

 

Washroom

 

“Jimin unnie, are you in here?” Jessica asked while standing in the ladies. Hmmm, she not in here? Where could she have gone to? Jessica wondered while leaving the ladies.

 

“Hey Jess, are you looking for Jimin? I saw her earlier, she mentioned about leaving earlier as she wasn’t feeling well” The person standing in front of her was Tyler’s PA.

 

“Oh, okay, i guess i will look for her tmr then.” After hearing that Jimin was unwell, Jessica didn’t have the heart to disturb her despite a nagging feeling in her.

 

If only… if only i knew what it would cost me

 

The next morning right after daybreak, Jessica woke up and went to Jimin’s room.

 

“Jimin unnie, are you feeling better?” Jessica asked once Jimin open the door.

 

“Oh, Jessica, I am better after a night rest. It rare of you to wake up so early, something happened?” Jimin asked as she was surprised the ice princess aka sleeping beauty would be up so early.

 

“Erm.. it’s.. my phone, I think Tyler oppa passed it to you yesterday?” Jessica stuttered, it looks ridiculous to knock on someone’s door that early to just ask for a phone.

 

“Oh right! Yes, i forgot to return to you yesterday. Let me get it.” Jimin went back in to take Jessica’s phone.

 

“Thanks unnie! Please rest well!” Jessica bow and make her way back to her room.

 

“You too, and don’t forget we have a flight to catch later.” Jimin reminded her.

 

Once back in her own room, Jessica her phone and it starts buzzing like mad. She thought her phone was spoilt. In total she got dozens of missed calls and messages, from her members, managers, even her younger sister Krystal, all asking her to return call. Something bad must have happened.

 

Firstly, she texted Krystal and drop a message in SNSD chatroom to inform them that she is fine and safe. Then she proceed to call their head manager, judging from his message, he seem to have something really urgent to tell.

 

“Hello Oppa, I’m sorry to return your call so late..”

 

“Good grief, Sica-ah, you finally return call! Is everything alright over there?”

 

“Yes Oppa, so sorry my phone was switched off and wasn’t with me until now. Did something happened?”

 

“Ah.. it’s good that you call back.. you remember we have schedule in Shenzhen? Just wanted to remind you, we are having rehearsal the day before the fan meet.” Since she called back, nothing should happen right..? She would be there, they can’t get her out…

 

“Of course Oppa! I’m leaving later to catch the flight to which transit at Hong Kong. I will meet you and the girls at the venue!” Jessica was apologetic, due to the recent hiccups in schedules, she gotten everyone worried about her and being in tremendous stress.

 

“Good, that’s good to hear, see you there Sica-ah..oh and remember to give the girls a call, they are worried for you..”

 

“I will oppa, take care and see you soon”

 

Soon after she ended the call, another call came in and the ice princess smiles got so wide that you won’t believe your eyes.

 

“Jessi! Oh my gosh, you finally pick up the phone” Tiffany hollered once Jessica picks up.

 

“Tiff, my ears!” In the background, she can hear all the voices that she missed, all fighting with T-manager to get to speak.

 

“Girls, why don’t we do video call instead?” Jessica suggest, feeling amused that they are fighting like kids and somehow she suddenly missed seeing them.

 

“Great!” and soon the voice call turn into FaceTime and Jessica is bombarded with questions.

 

“Unnie, why didn’t you on your phone? We keep calling you..”

 

“Are you alright?”

 

“Did something happened?”

 

How’s everything over there?”

“Easy girls, I’m fine, really. Sorry to got you all worried but Tyler oppa passed my phone to Jimin unnie yesterday when we were in the meeting. And after dinner, Jimin unnie was not feeling well so I didn’t managed to get my phone from her. I had given oppa an earful for that too.” Jessica explained.

 

“I see.. we thought something bad happened, you had never been uncontactable for so long before..” Yuri said

 

“I’m sorry… next time I won’t pass my phone to stupid Tyler again..” Jessica apologise once again when she saw all the worried faces. “Taengoo… you okay?”

 

“huh.. err.. ya, what matters is you are okay..” Taeyeon said giving a weak smile, her mind was in overdrive again when they couldn’t contact Jessica, fearing for her safety, and she’s also thinking what causes the manager to frantically look for Jessica, is there something going on that she wasn’t informed. She wonder if she should share these thoughts with them. Probably not today.. maybe when i gather more information

 

“She’s probably tired from worrying..” Sunny spoke for her.

 

“Sorrwweeee….” Jessica said trying to lighten the mood.

 

“Ya, are you joining the Ageyo-calls-for-punch team?” They were amused at the length their ice princess would go to make them happy, they really thought the world should change her nickname to “Melted ice princess”

 

“okay girls, i really missed you so much, got to go soon. Flight to Hong Kong and its reunion!” Jessica said.

 

“Ya, stop being mushy, go pack your stuff, we need to finish up as well” Hyoyeon said.

 

“See you girls later!”

 

“Bye / Bye Unnie!”

 

Fate seems to be playing tricks on them, even when they have reach the airport earlier than stipulated time. Due to overbooking, they were bumped off to a later flight, which was 2 hours later than the original. They accepted it as that was the only option left and although at a later flight timing, they are still in time to catch the connecting flight to Shenzhen. To prevent yesterday scenario from happening again, Jessica immediately text the girls and their manager to inform.

 

After a long flight from US to Hong Kong, what greeted Jessica was multiple headline news, the best part was, she was the one of the main lead in it.

 

[SNSD Jessica’s is out]

 

[Jessica chose to leave SM & SNSD]

 

[SNSD disbandment?!]

 

[National girlgroup is breaking up!!]

 

[Insider news: Jessica choose career over bandmates]

 

“What the fuc..?” Jessica felt her world spinning and she collapsed, lucky Tyler was there to catch her.


 

Few Hours later China, ShenZhen

 

After touching down, the girls were ushered to VIP gates which they were quite puzzled as well. Usually they would exit normally to greet fans that came to welcome them. They seldom took VIP gates.

 

“What’s going on? Don’t you think the atmosphere is weird?” Sooyoung asked. Manager oppa face was grimace, no one dare to approach him. Their Korean entourage were also avoiding eye contact with them. There were chinese staff speaking, but it was too fast and they barely understood.

 

On the way out from the VIP passageway, some media managed to get through and start snapping photos or shouting questions. This caught them by surprise and while the bodyguards were trying to protect the girls, Hyoyeon heard one of the questions asked in mandarin. “What do you think of Jessica leaving the group?”

 

What the hell was he saying? I must be hearing things. She tighten her grip on Seohyun’s arm and follow the maknae out to their vehicle.

 

“Unnie, are you okay?” Seohyun asked. Hyoyeon didn’t realised that she have been shaking uncontrollably, even after they board the car.

 

“I..I heard something..no.. it can’t be…” She starts to sob

 

“Hey.. it’s okay Hyo, don’t cry, what did you hear?” Tiffany was consoling her.

 

“Girls, look at this!” Sunny showed them her phone. Headlines splashed across all new portal, they were confused. What exactly happened when they were in mid-air. Why are they saying Jessica is leaving? They just spoke to her the night before. She’s not leaving, she’s just taking a break.

 

“What the hell is going on, Manager oppa?” Taeyeon asked. She was mad, why did SM release such statement without confirming with them.

 

“I will explain when we reach the hotel”

 

The car ride to hotel was one of the quietest and longest in thier life. After reaching the hotel, they all gathered into one room with their manager.

 

“It wasn’t supposed to be like this... I really didn’t know why it would happen..” Manager oppa started.

 

“Wait.. you said it wasn’t supposed to be like this, so there are plans isn’t it, why are we not informed?” Taeyeon voiced out. 

 

“You girls know the recent pressure we had been facing? All the meetings with the board, it’s unusual isn’t it?”

 

“Yes but what has it got to do with Sica leaving?” Yuri asked coldly.

 

“The board feels their interest has been compromised with Jessica’s new company. And because she will be on hiatus soon, many of the endorsement contracts are short-term basis. There are speculations outside saying SNSD will disband because of this. Plus Jessica is missing on a few occasions for the meeting or practices. At the last meeting, we were give an ultimatum from CEO Kim. If Jessica did not turn up for the rehearsal today, they would take it as her decision to leave the group.”

 

“WHAT THE ?!” Does she know about this?! This is utter bull!” Taeyeon bursted.

 

“I didn’t mention this when she called me yesterday. She was coming, I felt there was no need to amplify it. They were not supposed to release anything, not when we are on mid-air!”

 

“This is unbelievable Oppa, you kept this from us?! We’re supposed to be team!” Tiffany said heartbrokenly.

 

“I am trying to get the PR team to look into this matter. Of course, I need to find out who gave such instructions in the first place.”

 

“I think it’s too late… look at this.” Sooyoung showed them her phone.


 

[Jessica’s official statement: "I was notified to leave" not her decision to go. She was abandoned by her bandmates]

 

Their world suddenly seem too dark, the lights in their path were gone.