Honey

The Writer

____________________________________________

The ride to the police station lasted for an eternity—or at least that’s what it felt like to Sana. Nayeon had taken Sana’s hand and held it to provide some sense of comfort to the shaking girl next to her. Sana was very much on edge. She’d never seen anyone get hurt like that before. She wondered if her own death had been that violent and gruesome. Had she been stabbed? Hit by a car? Sana didn’t even want to think about it.

Dowoon opened the door for both Nayeon and Sana, who shuffled out with their hands still intertwined. He had them sit down next to his desk, which was relatively neat. Sana spotted a picture of him with Chaeyoung propped up near his computer. They both looked incredibly happy.

He started up his computer and pulled up a document to type into. “Okay Mina, can you tell me what happened with Eunha?”

Sana took a breath. Good thing she was quick-witted. She thought about exactly what she’d say during the car ride, knowing she’d have to lie in a believable way. “I saw Eunha walk out the door and head toward the parking garage. But only a few seconds after she passed, I saw a man dressed in all black with his hoodie pulled up over his head walk by the door. He was following her. I got a bad feeling about it, so I knew I needed to see if she was alright.”

That was the best Sana could do, really. She couldn’t say she was in contact with Eunha when evidence on Mina’s phone could clearly show the two girls hadn’t been texting.

“When I found her in the garage, she was lying on the ground. The attacker was gone. It looked like he stabbed her and then smashed her phone so she couldn’t call for help. That’s when I tried to stop the bleeding and Nayeon and Sungjin arrived with the first aid kit. Then you guys showed up.”

“Why did you have a bad feeling when you saw this man?” Dowoon asked, looking at Sana a bit suspiciously.

“He was dressed in all black with his hoodie covering his face. Usually when people do that in a public place they’re up to no good. Besides, he seemed to be a bit too close to her. I was scared for Eunha.”

Dowoon said nothing as he typed out what Sana said. “This man, you said he was dressed in all black. Can you tell me any more about him?”

Sana shook her head. “Unfortunately no. He was quite tall...maybe your height or taller, but that’s really all I can tell you. He did a good job at hiding himself. Do you think you could find him through security footage? There are security cameras in the garage, right?”

Dowoon smiled slightly at Sana’s suggestion. “We have some guys going through the footage now. Hopefully we can find out who did this. Once Eunha recovers, she might be able to tell us more about this person.”

“So she will recover?” Sana asked, feeling relieved. Nayeon gently rested her hand on Sana’s arm.

“She was stabbed multiple times, but she’s very lucky she had you there to find her and call her an ambulance right away.”

Phew, that was a relief.

“Do you have any idea why someone would want to hurt Eunha?” Dowoon asked.

Sana pressed her lips together. “No. But she did tell me that the man told her to ‘stop looking into it’...whatever that means.”

Dowoon looked particularly interested by that. “So you have no idea what that could be referring to?”

Sana shook her head. Her memories of Eunha were still hazy. She could remember bits and pieces, but nothing linear. And from what she knew, Eunha was a good kid. She’d never gotten herself into trouble, which is why it was so crazy that she’d just been stabbed.

“Alright, if that’s all your questions I think I should get Mina back home now,” Nayeon replied. She stood up and put a hand on Sana’s shoulder. Her face was determined and even Dowoon wouldn’t dare question her. They were leaving, and that was that.

“Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedules to come here,” Dowoon said. He took a business card from a little holder on his desk and stuck it out toward Sana. “If you remember anything else or think of anything else useful, please don’t hesitate to call me on this number.”

“Can you let me know how Eunha is doing?” Sana asked. “And keep me updated on the investigation?”

Dowoon nodded. “I’m sure I’ll see you at the JYP building, or I can give Chaeyoung updates to give to you, once the investigation becomes more open to the public.”

Nayeon linked her arm with Sana’s and pulled her outside. “I’m gonna call Sungjin to come and pick us up. I’m assuming he got everyone else back to the dorm by now.”

Sana watched as Nayeon pulled out her phone and dialed Sungjin’s number. Nayeon stepped off to the side a bit, talking to Sungjin in a hushed voice. Sana should leave now. She really should. She could brief Mina on what happened with Eunha so the girl wasn’t completely confused. Sana could find someone else to do the deed with Nayeon in, surely.

But then Nayeon looked up with the phone pressed against her ear, and something indescribable flickered across her irises as she looked at Sana. There was something meaningful behind that look. It was worry and tenderness and shyness all mixed into one. Was it possible...Nayeon actually felt something for Mina?

Sana could feel Mina’s heart beginning to flutter inside her chest.

Nayeon was Mina’s manager. Anything happening between them would be wrong on sooooo many levels. But...but…

“Sungjin’s leaving now to come get us,” Nayeon replied, moving closer to Sana once again. “How are you holding up?”

Still wearing Nayeon’s sweatshirt, Sana wrapped her arms around herself. “I’m just in shock, that’s all.”

“I didn’t know you were close with Eunha,” Nayeon confessed.

Sana put her tongue in the corner of as she thought about how to proceed. “We’re not...that close.”

Nayeon’s face suggested she didn’t believe Sana but she let the moment pass.

“Dowoon’s really nice,” Sana murmured, looking back at the police station.

“We’re lucky to have him,” Nayeon agreed. “He’s been nothing but supportive of Chaeyoung.”

Sana scooched an inch closer to Nayeon. “They seem so happy together.”

Nayeon nodded. “After Chaeyoung’s accident he helped her find her happiness again.”

Chaeyoung’s accident? Sana wanted to know more about she figured Mina already knew all about this. Asking Nayeon would just tip Nayeon off that something was wrong.

“Thanks for coming with me,” Sana said. She gave Nayeon a warm smile.

Nayeon looked away. “Of course I’d come with you, I’m your manager,” the girl stated and waved her hand dismissively.

Maybe...just maybe...Sana could still work her magic, even in Mina’s body.

And so, Sana decided to stay.


 

The minute Sungjin arrived with the van, he got out and wrapped Sana into a warm hug. “Are you okay?” he asked. He was like an overprotective father.

“I’m alright,” Sana assured. She gave him an assuring smile. Sana wasn’t sure how Mina would’ve handled this situation...she could only guess.

“Well, let’s get you back home then. The other girls are worried about you.”

Sungjin opened up the back door of the van for Sana and she climbed inside. Sungjin got back in the driver’s seat and Nayeon climbed into the passenger seat.

“People are going to be talking about this...word is going to get out,” Nayeon said after a few minutes of the radio droning on in the background. She looked up at the rearview mirror so that she could see Sana. “I just want you to be prepared.”

“The company is preparing an official statement. I spoke with JYP earlier,” Sungjin explained without taking his eyes off the road. “Because this is an official investigation, your identity should be kept under wraps for awhile at least. I’m sure the world will know Eunha was the victim soon enough. A JYP trainee, stabbed...I never thought something like this would ever happen.”

It was crazy—basically unfathomable—but then again, if ghosts were real, then a lot more was possible than Sana previously thought. She wondered if she believed in ghosts when she was human, but even if she did she didn’t think she’d ever considered the possibility of becoming one herself. Now look where she was—possessing the body of an idol, trying to sleep with that same idol’s manager just so she could pass on to the otherside and not turn into an evil spirit. It sounded like the plot of a drama.

The rest of the ride to the dorm was a bit awkward—the radio blared on as the three continued forward through the rush hour traffic. Nayeon and Sungjin both walked Mina up to the dorm, and they were instantly greeted by all of the other members of EDEN. Dahyun approached Sana and began crying instantly. Her sniffling turned into light sobbing as she pressed into Sana’s side. Sana tried her best to soothe the girl, whispering assurances in her ear.

“I’m fine, really,” Sana assured the younger girl, whose eyes had grown red-rimmed. “Eunha’s the one who’s hurt, but she’ll be okay. She’s strong.”

“Who could’ve done such a thing?” Jeongyeon asked while patting Dahyun on the back, trying to calm her down.

“I’m not sure,” Sana admitted. She really wished she’d seen the face of the attacker.

“Since we don’t know if Eunha was targeted specifically or if it was just a random attack, the company is cancelling all scheduled events in the meantime and increasing security for all idols,” Sungjin announced. “I think Nayeon and I should sleep here tonight just to keep you girls safe, or at least give you a better sense of security.”

Nayeon shot him an unreadable look, as if she disagreed, but held her tongue.

“Does that mean practice is cancelled tomorrow?” Tzuyu asked. She was standing back at a distance from the rest of the girls, giving Sana suspicious glances.

“The entire JYP building is going to be closed down until the police can find whoever did this.” Sungjin stuck his hands in his pockets and pressed his lips together. “You’ll have to practice here.”

It wasn’t an ideal situation, but with the Seoul Music Awards coming up, the girls needed all the practice they could get.

“I’ll sleep here,” Sungjin suggested, plopping down onto the girls’ large couch. “We can order food tonight for dinner too.” That made Momo’s eyes light up slightly.

“I can sleep with Mina in her bed so Nayeon, you can have my bed,” Dahyun added. Her arms were still wrapped around Sana protectively.

Sana thought about suggesting that Nayeon join her in Mina’s bed but then thought better of it. Nayeon was her manager and there was a level of respect that had to be maintained. Besides, she wouldn’t be able to actually sleep with Nayeon with other people around, anyway.

Jeongyeon and Dahyun wanted to watch a drama, so the two of them started up the latest episode on the TV in the living room. Sungjin and Nayeon sat next to each other while looking down at their phones. Tzuyu took this time to take Sana’s arm and pull her into the bedroom she shared with Dahyun, which was currently empty.

“How are you feeling?” Tzuyu asked, vaguely. She instructed Sana to sit down on her bed––and Sana did as she was told––but Tzuyu remained standing. Tzuyu glared down at Sana with her arms crossed, and the stare was so powerful that Sana couldn’t even maintain eye contact with her.

“You know, after you got sick I hoped that you’d be back to normal again. It was stupid of me to think that, huh?” Tzuyu continued after Sana didn’t answer her question.

Sana opened to speak but Tzuyu held up a hand. “Save it. I know you’re not Mina.”

How was this girl not fooled? Sana had successfully tricked everyone else so far. “How do you know that?” Sana challenged, looking Tzuyu in the eye.

“Mina would’ve been a lot more shaken up by what happened. And she doesn’t look at me like that.”

“Like what?” Sana leaned forward and batted her lashes at Tzuyu.

Tzuyu cleared and looked away. “...that.” She uncrossed her arms and then crossed them again awkwardly.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” Sana mused, drawing her lips up into a smirk. She knew she had a habit of looking at people with heart eyes—she couldn’t help it. Seeing Tzuyu get flustered was entertaining.

Tzuyu seemed to get a hold of herself because she pressed her lips together and sent Sana another glare. “I’m only going to ask you once, calmly: get out of her.”

“I need her for something,” Sana confessed. “I’m just borrowing her body for a bit to move on to the other side...then you’ll never hear from me again. I promise.”

“What do you need her for?”

“How do you know about ghosts?” Sana countered. She didn’t want to tell Tzuyu what her true intentions were.

“I don’t owe you any answers,” Tzuyu sneered. “You’re the one possessing my friend.”

“Fair enough.” Sana her lips and looked down at Mina’s perfectly manicured nails.

“But can you at least tell me who you are? You’re not some creepy, obsessed fan, are you? You’re not...a guy...right?” Tzuyu said the last part quietly.

Sana looked offended. “No! I’m a girl! Have I been acting like a guy would? Sheesh!” Sana scoffed. “I didn’t even know what EDEN was before I got here. Possessing Mina in the first place was an accident. And then I got stuck.”

Tzuyu raised an eyebrow. “Stuck?”

“I couldn’t leave, even if I wanted to. And trust me, I did want to. But now I figured out that Mina can be of use to me…” Sana let her voice trail off. “And my name is Sana, by the way.”

“Sana.” Tzuyu tested out the name in . “Give me one good reason not to tell Nayeon that you’re an imposter so we can find an exorcist.”

Sana simply leaned back on the bed and gave Tzuyu a lazy smile. “No one is going to believe you. And besides, you’ll only ruin your own reputation and your dear friend Mina’s as well.”

Tzuyu’s top lip began to twitch into a snarl.

“Now that you know about me...you can help me out. I need to play Mina convincingly for a bit longer. Tell me about her. Any details you think I can use.”

Tzuyu looked away. “No way.”

“C’mon! Can you at least tell me what happened to Chaeyoung? Nayeon mentioned her ‘accident’ and now I’m curious,” Sana pouted at Tzuyu, who turned away slightly.

“How long is this going to take you...moving onto the other side?”

“Hopefully not too long...I have to do this soon before I turn into an evil spirit…”

Tzuyu’s eyes widened. “Evil spirit. Yah! How can you expect me not to get an exorcist now?”

“I won’t let that happen while I’m possessing Mina, don’t worry!” Sana assured. “Mina’s gonna help me move on so there won’t be another evil spirit in this world. She’s doing her duty as a citizen of Seoul and sacrificing for the greater good!”

Tzuyu rolled her eyes. “Don’t make me regret trusting you.”

Sana jumped up from the bed and squealed. “Yay! Thank you for keeping my secret!” She wrapped her arms around Tzuyu’s tiny waist and pulled the girl into a hug.

Tzuyu looked grumpy and didn’t reciprocate, but she let the hug happen so Sana counted it as a victory.

“Since we’re now bffs, can you tell me what happened to Chaeyoung?”

Tzuyu peeled Sana off of her and sat down on her bed. “She got hit with a car. Her spinal cord got messed up in the accident. She can’t walk anymore. That’s it.”

“That’s terrible…” Sana frowned. She sat down on Tzuyu’s bed next to the girl. “Who hit her?”

“We still don’t know...it was a hit and run.”

“How can people be so terrible?” Sana cried. She barely knew Chaeyoung but from what she’d seen of the short girl, Chaeyoung looked very kind and adorable.

Tzuyu simply shrugged. “Chaeyoung used to be a trainee with JYPE, too. She lost her chance at becoming an idol because of it. She was devastated.”

Sana clenched her fists, suddenly feeling like combing the world for this person who hit Chaeyoung and fighting them. “I can’t imagine. Well, thanks for letting me know.”

Sana felt rather tired then, from the weight of everything that happened in such a short span of time. She laid down on Tzuyu’s bed, getting a dirty look from the younger girl, and closed her eyes. She must’ve fallen asleep for a bit because the next thing she knew, Nayeon was standing above her, shaking her awake.

“The food’s here,” Nayeon said. “Sorry to wake you, but I thought you should eat something.”

Sana grumbled until she realized it was Nayeon that awoke her. Her frown instantly turned into a small smile. “Thanks,” she replied. “Wait...I just realized I’m still wearing your sweatshirt!”

Sana began to the front, but Nayeon grabbed Sana’s hands and held them. “It’s okay, I don’t mind.”

“But...you must be cold.”

Nayeon was a bit cold—as she hadn’t brought a change of clothes because Sungjin failed to tell her they were staying overnight until they’d already arrived—but she didn’t want to complain.

“Well, at least let me get you something then!” Sana got off the bed and walked out the door of Dahyun and Tzuyu’s bedroom. She went into Mina’s room and began to look through the girl’s closet. Finally she found a large, comfortable looking, oversized sweater. She practically ran back to Nayeon, who had crept into Mina’s room shortly behind Sana out of curiosity. “Here! Wear this!”

“Uh—” Nayeon hesitated, looking down at the sweater like it was something gross.

“It’s clean...and warm.” Sana hugged the sweater, hoping to warm it up with her body heat, and placed it in Nayeon’s hands.

“Thanks,” Nayeon replied. She slipped the sweater over her head after Sana continued to look at her expectantly. It was a fun, pastel pink sweater and Sana was practically cooing when she saw Nayeon with it on.

“So cute!” Sana gushed.

Nayeon ran a hand through her hair and laughed nervously. Why’s Mina acting so weirdly these days? “C’mon, it’s time for dinner.” Nayeon began to step toward the door, back into the kitchen where everyone else was waiting.

Before Nayeon could make it out the door though, Sana gently grabbed her wrist to stop her from going anywhere. Nayeon looked at Sana a bit startled. “Um…”

“Nayeon...do you remember what I said the other day...about trying something again?”

“Hm?”

Sana playfully pointed to her lips. “I think you owe me a real kiss instead of a fever dream one.”

Nayeon turned as pink as the sweater she was wearing. Sana puckered her lips slightly and began leaning forward. Hook, line and…

“Dinner’s getting cold!” Nayeon yelped, backing up and running out of the room.

...sinker?

Sana was left standing in the room alone. She crossed her arms and huffed.


 

After a minute of shrugging off the rejection, Sana walked out into the kitchen, where everyone was seated at the large dining table. She took an empty seat between Dahyun and Tzuyu. “What took you so long, hm?” Jeongyeon asked. It was only playful though. It seemed like most everyone was walking on eggshells around her now...as if they were afraid Mina might break.

“Sorry, you didn’t have to wait!”

Momo began to quickly shove some noodles into with chopsticks of fury as soon as Sana said that. They’d ordered some Chinese food, ranging from dumplings to chow mein and shrimp.

There was a bit of an awkward silence, probably due to the gloominess of the day.

Finally, Dahyun said: “Mina, isn’t that your sweater?” She pointed at Nayeon across the table, who froze with a dumpling only inches from her lips.

“I loaned it to Nayeon since she loaned me hers earlier,” Sana gestured to the zip up hoodie she was wearing and smiled sweetly.

“You’re sharing clothes like a couple,” Sungjin laughed. Nayeon gave him a dangerous look and he stopped laughing and quickly began chewing on an eggroll. Momo made a choking noise but quickly passed it off as coughing once everyone turned toward her. Sana gave the girl a knowing look. Poor thing, how long would her crush on Mina last?

“Is Nayeon a cougar now?” Jeongyeon smirked, causing Dahyun and Sungjin to start giggling.

Nayeon scrunched her nose up and glared at Jeongyeon. “Mina’s not that much younger than me, ya know,” she muttered.

“We still have one year until our dating ban is over. Until then, Mina is off limits.” Tzuyu gave everyone at the table a pointed look. Sana leaned into Tzuyu slightly, admiring how cute she was when she got protective. Tzuyu pushed Sana off of her gently.

“That’s right,” Sungjin agreed. “You girls will all be hopelessly single for at least another year.”

“Hey!” Jeongyeon elbowed her manager and he simply smiled in return. “You’re one to talk, you don’t have a girlfriend!”

“I’ll have you know, women are just lining up at my feet.”

“Uh-huh, sure. Introduce me to them next time, will you?” Jeongyeon asked, making Sungjin’s smile suddenly turn into a frown.

“You all are too much.” Nayeon shook her head. They were one big, dysfunctional family. Little did they know their level of dysfunction was about to increase with a ghost in their midst.

Across the table, Sana watched Nayeon carefully. Perhaps noticing eyes on her, Nayeon looked up, back at Sana. When they locked eyes, Sana intensified her glare. Nayeon stared back, unwavering, but only for a moment, before she turned her attention back to the food on her plate.

Nayeon was going to play hard to get—but Sana always enjoyed a challenge.

 

At the hospital, a hooded figure in black made his way through the trauma ward to a room the receptionist had been so kind as to point out to him. He peered through the window of the door, staring in at the girl laying on the bed. Her shoulder length black hair was fanned out on the white pillow under her head. Her lips were cracked and pale. It was Eunha.

The man quietly placed his gloved hand on the door knob and gently pushed the door open.

______________________________________
 
This chapter is a bit short but I hope you all still enjoyed it! Do you think Sana will be able to win over Nayeon? Who is this hooded figure who attacked Eunha??