Smoke And Mirrors

The Writer

______________________________________________

 

Finding Jennie had proved to be more difficult than Sana expected. For starters, she had no idea where the girl lived. She didn’t even know the girl’s last name. And so, Sana set off on a long walk around the city, knowing she’d have to camp out at the JYP building until Jennie came to work. Hopefully that wouldn’t take too long.

She phased through the locked entrance of the JYP building. The place was dark because everyone had gone home for the night. Sana flopped down on a couch in the waiting area, eventually passing out against the plush pillow. Ghosts need their rest too!

She woke up the next morning to the sound of the doors being unlocked. There was Chaeyoung, rolling in on her wheelchair, followed by that man Sana had seen earlier. Today though, he was dressed in a police uniform and he looked rather dashing. He was a cop, huh?

Sana watched in interest as he pushed Chaeyoung’s wheelchair behind the front desk, then he went to turn on a few lights which lit the building up. The couple shared a loving smile, before he kissed the top of her forehead and headed out the door, presumably to work. Hopefully since the building was now open, Jennie would come in soon. Maybe she had a class to instruct. Sana waited patiently, swinging her legs back and forth in boredom.

More people entered. Sana recognized a boy group that walked by. Eventually, Jennie strolled in and Sana nearly cheered with joy. She hopped up from the couch she was sitting on and began running toward Jennie, who was walking toward the elevator. Closer...closer...Sana began to anticipate the electrifying feeling of possession…

SMACK!

Sana fell backward onto the floor, feeling as though she’d run straight into a brick wall. “Ow!” she cried, rubbing her head as she laid sprawled out on the floor. She lifted her head and looked at Jennie curiously. The girl looked totally unbothered, placing sunglasses on top of her head. Sana jumped up and ran for a second time.

OOF. Sana was knocked onto the floor again! She simply couldn’t phase through Jennie. “Her will must be too strong,” Sana murmured. Occasionally Sana came across individuals who she couldn’t possess. They were often very confident and strong-willed...basically the opposite of Mina, which is why Sana could possess the girl so easily.

“You’ve gotta be kidding me,” Sana whined, sitting on the floor, watching as Jennie disappeared behind the elevator doors.

“Good morning Chaeng,” Sana heard a familiar voice say from behind her. Oh no. Sana shot up onto her feet and looked at the girl coming toward her like a deer in headlights.

No way. It couldn’t be.

“Morning Jihyo, how’s it going?” Chaeyoung replied, smiling at Park Jihyo herself, dressed in her normal, traditional Korean flair.

So apparently Jihyo knew Chaeyoung and she could just waltz into JYP Entertainment?? What??

Sana began to tip-toe toward the side of the room, hoping she wouldn’t be seen by Jihyo, who was currently occupied by Chaeyoung at the moment. She held her breath and tried to be as quiet as a mouse.

“Not so fast!” Jihyo yelled out, making Sana jump a foot into the air.

Sana let out a yelp and tried to run past the girl, but the girl managed to grab the back of her jacket.

“You’re coming back with me,” Jihyo muttered. From her pocket she pulled out a thick and sturdy rope, placing it around Sana’s wrists. Sana was alarmed to find she couldn’t simply phase through it...the rope must’ve been enchanted.

“Jihyo?” Chaeyoung asked, giving her a startled look. Chaeyoung knew her friend was, well, strange, but this was something else.

“It’s a ghost,” Jihyo responded. “A ghost was in your building but I caught it! No need to worry, I’ll be bringing it back to my apartment.”

“Ah!” Chaeyoung sighed with relief, glad to know her friend hadn’t completely lost her mind. She knew Jihyo was a shamen who could see ghosts. “Thank you!”

“I’ll be going now, I’ll come by later,” Jihyo waved with her free hand and began dragging Sana toward the front door.

“Wait, Jihyo! I found the person with positive energy I need to cross over! If you let me go I’ll seduce her and be out of your hair for good! Please! I’m so close,” Sana begged. Jihyo wasn’t having it though, she dragged Sana out the door, all the way to where her car was parked. The car ride consisted of Sana’s insistant whining, so Jihyo turned up the volume of the Oh My Girl album she had playing in the background to drone her out.

Once inside Jihyo’s home, Jihyo tied one end of the rope to a leg of her kitchen table and went into another room briefly to retrieve something. Jihyo remmerged with a collar like thing, holding it toward Sana triumphantly. “Even if you manage to escape me again, this will ensure me I’ll always be able to find you,” Jihyo assured. She clicked the collar around Sana’s neck like a dog. It was outfitted with small bells that rang out loudly whenever Sana moved. “Only I can hear it,” Jihyo smiled proudly. She’d finally been able to outsmart the ghost she’d been chasing for months!

“It’s not like I was causing any trouble!” Sana stomped her feet, causing the bells around her neck to ring obnoxiously.

“The ancestors aren’t happy that you’ve been running around trying to sleep with every girl in Seoul!” Jihyo snarked back. “They haven’t spoken to me since then so I can’t even give readings anymore! A girl has to make a living!”

Sana huffed and sat down on a chair. “This just isn’t fair! I’m just trying to cross over. It’s not my fault positive energy is hard to come by. But I finally found someone who can help me, so if you’ll just remove these stupid bells…”

“Not gonna happen,” Jihyo shook her head. “I know a way that will help you cross over. I can perform a ritual that should help you pass on. You know, you’ll become an evil spirit if you don’t cross over soon!”

“I know, I know,” Sana whined. “But that ritual will be painful for me, won’t it? Just let me sleep with Nayeon, okay? Let me have that one experience—”

“Did you just say Nayeon?” Jihyo asked, gritting her teeth. “Nayeon as in Chaeyoung’s sister…”

Sana paused, sizing up Jihyo’s suddenly dangerous looking expression. “You...know her?”

Jihyo walked over and began whacking Sana on the arm. “Yes I know her! We were childhood best friends! I grew up with her and Chaeyoung! I CAN’T LET YOU SLEEP WITH MY BEST FRIEND.”

“Ow!” Sana cried, jumping up and hiding from Jihyo under the kitchen table. “How was I supposed to know you knew her? Besides, it’s not like I chose her! If I would’ve chose I would’ve picked Momo…”

“Don’t tell me you did something to one of Nayeon’s members!” Jihyo roared, looking like she was about to throw the table Sana was hiding under across the room.

“Well...not really...I mean…” Sana began mumbling, knowing she wasn’t helping her case at all. “I just might have accidentally possessed one…”

“Oh my god, Sana!” Jihyo cried, looking like she was gonna pull her own hair out. “You can’t just go around possessing idols!”

“I know, I’m sorry, I’m sorry! I honestly didn’t mean to,” Sana assured, holding up her hands. “I was just trying to hide and...then I got stuck.”

“Under normal circumstances I probably would’ve laughed at you for that but considering it was a member of my best friend’s group, I don’t find this funny at all. Who was it? Whose frequency do you match?” Jihyo asked, crossing her arms.

Sana opened ...considered lying, but then changed her mind. She might as well come clean about everything now. “Mina,” she admitted.

Jihyo made a weird noise and then sat down on a chair. “That poor girl…” Jihyo shuttered at the thought of Sana possessing her. “Let me guess...you got her sick and that ejected you out? Nayeon texted me that Mina was really sick.”

“To be fair, I had nothing to do with her getting sick...at least I think. She must just have a weak immune system...and I did spend some time with Nayeon earlier…” Sana suddenly looked apologetic. “She’s okay, right? Have you heard anything?”

“Nayeon just told me Mina had to go to the hospital...that’s all.”

Sana sighed and rested her chin on her knee cap, hugging her legs to her chest.

“I have to perform the ritual, Sana. I can’t stand the thought of you getting...intimate...with my friend, and besides, Nayeon’s not easy by any means. Nayeon’s been in love with Jennie for years, even before Jennie started dating Jisoo…” Jihyo’s voice trailed off.

“Is that the girl who died?” Sana asked. Jihyo nodded, suddenly looking somber. “I don’t wanna be put through the ritual...Jihyo, I’m scared.”

“Do you want to become an evil spirit?” Jihyo asked. “I can’t let that happen! This is for the best. Now come on, let’s get everything ready.”

Jihyo dressed in a traditional, white dress for the ritual. She brought incense outside and began to burn it, and also lit a few candles. When everything was ready she finally led Sana outside, still tied to the rope.

“Jihyo, wait, please...I don’t wanna do this,” Sana begged, tugging at the rope that bound her wrists wildly. Jihyo was surprisingly strong though and had the power of the ancestors on her side.

“It’ll be over soon,” Jihyo promised. She tied Sana to a tree and began the ritual. With every word she spoke with her booming voice, the more terror Sana felt. She wasn’t ready to cross over yet, and her body began to feel weak and staticy.

“Jihyo, stop! I’m scared!” Sana cried out. She could feel herself fading slightly. “Please!” Her voice raised in volume, growing more desperate, and she could feel tears sliding down her cheeks. “STOP!”

Suddenly she felt a surge of power course through her. The wind grew strong and the candles placed out strategically for the ritual were thrown violently aside. The ropes tied around her wrist were severed like they were no more than pieces of thread. Jihyo stopped the ritual and widened her eyes. There was a dark mist surrounding Sana’s ghostly form. “I said...stop,” Sana said quietly—eyes looking dangerous and completely unlike herself.

Slowly Jihyo raised a hand and touched a finger to her cheek. It was slick with blood. Something must’ve hit her when the wind picked up. She stared at Sana with a look of slight terror and she took a step back.

Seeing the blood, Sana snapped back to her senses and collapsed to her knees. The darkness around her faded. She looked up at Jihyo with large, apologetic eyes. “I’m sorry...I’m so sorry…” Her eyes welled up with tears. “I’m not sure what happened…”

“The darkness in you came out because you were provoked,” Jihyo replied calmly. “The evil spirit inside is growing stronger. If you don’t pass over soon it’ll take you over completely. Come on, let’s get you inside.”



Mina awoke to the sound of a soft snoring. Her eyes fluttered open and immediately she was on red alert. She had no idea where she was. In fact, the last thing she remembered was leaving the JYP building to go find a shamen to help her deal with the ghosts that had been taunting her mercilessly recently.

That’s right, Mina could see ghosts. She’d been able to since she was a child—an ability she assumed had been passed down to her from her grandmother. Her grandmother had raised her and taught her the ways of driving away unwanted spirits. But lately, for some reason, these spirits seemed to be finding Mina and not leaving her alone. It’d begun to conflict with her job as an idol—she found herself not getting enough sleep, hiding under her covers from the ghosts that whispered and called to her over and over again.

That’s why she’d made the choice to run off on her own, knowing that no one else, maybe beside Tzuyu, would believe her when she said she needed to find a shaman. But now she found herself laying in a bed, wearing some sort of white gown, in a room with white walls and a small tv screen in the corner of the room, which was currently turned off. The source of the snoring, she turned her head to discover, was none other than her manager Sungjin. She sighed in relief when she saw his face.

What had happened to her? She began to lift herself out of bed, rustling her sheets slightly. This caused Sungjin to stir, and eventually pull himself out of his nap. “You’re awake!” he said, smiling at her. Before Mina could even ask what had happened, he was on his feet, standing beside her bed. “You gave us all quite a scare. You passed out. The doctor said it was just a really bad fever, but he gave you some medicine to help it pass. Looks like you caught whatever Nayeon had, but it was worse with you.”

What Nayeon had? “How long have I been out?” Mina asked, propping herself up on her elbows.

“Just a few hours. You haven’t been here for days, don’t worry. And it’s the weekend so you’re not missing much scheduling.”

The weekend? “What day is it?”

“It’s Saturday afternoon now. You were out for all of Friday night…”

Saturday? If Mina remembered correctly, she’d snuck out on Thursday...that was the last memory she had…

“How did you find me?” Mina asked, assuming she’d somehow passed out on her walk to the shamen. She didn’t remember feeling sick though…

Sungjin gave her a strange look. “Momo called me. You passed out in the dorm and nowhere else, luckily. You really don’t remember that, huh?”

“The last thing I remember is leaving the JYP building on my own,” Mina admitted.

Sungjin’s strange look turned into one of worry. “That was on Thursday. You really don’t remember yesterday at all?”

Mina’s face remained blank as she tried to think.

“The photoshoot...the radio show?”

Mina shook her head.

“I guess your fever messed with your head a bit. We’ll have to tell that to a nurse. I’ll get someone and also grab some water for you.” Sungjin left the room, leaving Mina alone. She scrambled for her phone, sighing with relief when she found it on her bedside table. She quickly pulled up the internet and searched for the radio show, finding clips immediately. She clicked on a highlight video titled “EDEN’s Mina Aegyo”. She watched in horror and fascination as she herself spoke with the radio host, and eventually performed part of an aegyo song that was a few years old. She had no memory of doing this whatsoever and she hated doing aegyo. Something was wrong.

She pulled up pictures from her fansites and stared at the photographs of herself linking arms with Jeongyeon as they walked into the radio station. Those were her clothes and that was her face...so why did Mina not remember a single thing?

Her stomach dropped and she immediately thought of what had happened a few months earlier. While getting ready for a music show performance, Mina had encountered the ghost of a young girl around her age who happened to be a huge fan. The ghost got uncomfortably close to Mina, and Mina couldn’t help but flinch.

“I know you can see me,” the girl chimed. “Ah, what a relief. Did you know I’m a huge fan? Who knew a member of EDEN could see the dead?”

“I’m sorry you’ve passed,” Mina had muttered, “but you need to go, please.” She had whispered quietly, keeping her voice down in the waiting room. She was next in line to get her make-up done for the show, and the other members were on their phones or sleeping, paying her no mind.

“I’d rather not, I’m having too much fun!” the girl giggled. “I think you could help me have even more fun!” The girl’s smile turned into something much darker and sinister. Before Mina could protest or even scream, everything went black.

She’d awoken later back at her dorm with no memory of the past few hours—the whole music show had been wiped clean from her memory. But she had been there, dancing and singing, even waving to fans. Tzuyu told her she was acting strangely, but that was about it. Mina had called her grandmother, expressing concern. Her grandmother told her that she must have been possessed by the ghost—which was rare, but happened more frequently to those with The Gift of Sight. Ghosts tended to be drawn to those who could see them—sensing their uniqueness. Their blood even smelled differently to ghosts.

So it turns out the ghost she encountered before that music show had decided to take her body for a joy ride. Luckily the girl was dedicated enough of a fan to know the dance and lyrics to their latest title song, so Mina hadn’t been totally embarrassed on stage. But what if the ghost that had possessed her had been an evil spirit and made her do terrible things? What if she was made to hurt someone, even the people she cared about? Mina had no idea why the ghost had left, or if she’d been forced to, but Mina was relieved it had only happened for a few hours.

Mina had told Tzuyu what happened, and the girl believed her. Tzuyu was the only one Mina confided her worry to though, afraid the other girls would think she was crazy.

So in the present she had been possessed again! This time for much longer–a few days. The thought chilled Mina to the bone. When Sungjin came back into the hospital room with a cup of water and a mug of coffee, he found Mina hugging herself and shivering.

“Sungjin, did I act strange at all these past few days?” Mina asked. He set down both drinks on the nightstand next to Mina’s bed.

“You did seem to be a little off…” he started, looking apologetic.

“How?”

“You were...perkier than usual. More talkative. Do you think it was because you were sick?”

Mina stared at the blank TV screen as if she were watching a show. She didn’t answer. She knew what the reason was, but she couldn’t tell Sungjin the truth.

“The nurse says you’re well enough to go home if you’re ready,” he continued. “I called Nayeon so she’ll pick us up and bring us back to JYPE so she can pick the rest of the members up after practice and bring you all home together.”

Mina simply nodded.

She was given back her clothes and then she trudged into the small bathroom adjacent to the hospital room. Getting changed, she stared at herself in the mirror, as if she expected to see another person staring back at her. Mina was slightly paranoid that she’d see a ghost lurking around her, perhaps the one that managed to possess her for quite a significant time. She couldn’t let that happen again—she’d have to prepare herself.

Thinking back to what her grandmother had told her the first time this happened, she’d have to ignore any ghost she saw. Avoid any and all eye contact. Pretend she couldn’t hear it if it tried to talk to her. But this was easier said than done. Mina took a deep breath and reemerged into the hospital room, where Sungjin was waiting to take her home. Nayeon had started her drive to the hospital to pick them both up. From what Mina learned from Sungjin, Nayeon had been sick yesterday as well, but she was feeling much better today.

They walked outside and found Nayeon parked along the pick-up loop. Sungjin opened the mini-van door and helped Mina inside. Immediately Nayeon turned around in the driver’s seat and looked at Mina. Strangely enough, Nayeon seemed to be acting a little shy and flustered around her.

“How are you feeling?” Nayeon asked, without making eye contact.

“Better now, thanks,” Mina replied, giving her manager a small smile. The woman smiled back slightly, but it was somewhat tight lipped, before turning back around and pulling out of the parking lot. Mina cocked her head and stared at the back of Nayeon’s head with a bit of dread. Had this ghost done something to Nayeon while it had possessed Mina’s body? She could only hope and pray that nothing bad had happened. She’d have to ask Tzuyu about it when she got back to the dorm.



“Put some soju on it,” Sana suggested. “It’ll disinfect the cut.”

“Well, I do have some of that, even though I’m technically not supposed to drink,” Jihyo smiled slightly. She turned around and opened her refrigerator, beginning to dig through it. “Shamans are supposed to keep a clear head about them.”

Sana watched her, then turned around and looked at the front door, unguarded and enticing. There was nothing keeping her in this apartment anymore. Before Jihyo could find the soju, Sana tiptoed out the door. As she closed it quietly, Jihyo caught a glimpse of the door moving. She sighed but watched Sana go. She’d let her leave this time...but if she didn’t pass on soon Jihyo’d be forced to find her again before she turned into an evil spirit. She’d be able to find Sana since the ghost was still wearing the bell collar at least.

“I’ll ignore the fact that you have to sleep with my best friend for now,” Jihyo muttered. “But ancestors, please help this poor girl pass on.”



Sana was running straight for the JYP building—not bothering to look back. If Jihyo was on her heel, she didn’t want to know. She just had Nayeon on her mind. But since Jennie was out of the question, who could she possess to seduce Nayeon? Sana would have to do some more investigating to survey her options. She arrived through the parking garage adjacent to it, walking swiftly toward the side entrance.

Surprised by the sudden sound of a girl’s trilling voice, Sana quickly stopped and looked around for the source of the noise. She spotted a short girl with hair that fell just above her shoulders, spinning around with a phone held up to her ear. “Yes, I know,” the girl was saying on the phone. Whoever she was talking with seemed to be the one driving the conversation.

Sana wasn’t sure why, but the sight made her smile. Her chest suddenly felt tight and so she put a hand up to it. Why did she suddenly feel so warm and at ease? She continued to stare at the girl curiously. “Just got out of practice…” the girl continued but was abruptly cut off.

“Wait a second...I know that girl!” Sana gasped as her mind was suddenly filled with vivid memories. They walked down the street together, rode in the car together...even roomed together. Who was she??

The girl hung up the phone and began to walk deeper into the parking garage, looking for a car. Sana, momentarily distracted by the images flashing across her vision, lost the girl behind some cars, so she quickly ran forward to find her. “Eunha!” The name flew off her tongue, as if it were second nature. That was her name! They must have been friends in her past life.

After a minute of running, Sana sighed in relief when she saw Eunha again. Eunha was beside a car, searching for her keys, when a man with his hood up began to approach her. Sana watched curiously as Eunha looked up at the sound of the man’s voice. He said something to Eunha, but Sana couldn’t hear what that was.

A few seconds passed, Sana stepped forward, but then froze in her tracks when she saw something glinting behind the man’s back. There was a flash of movement—the man’s arm whipped toward Eunha in a violent motion. Eunha cried out, and the man did it again. Again and again. Then he pulled back, grabbed the phone from her hand, threw it on the ground and stepped on it, cracking it into pieces.

Eunha watched with wide, scared eyes and quickly dropped to her knees. Sana yelled out and ran forward, seeing that the ground in front of Eunha was quickly being stained with blood, and that red was pouring out from the front of Eunha’s shirt.

“Oh my god,” Sana crouched down beside the girl. Eunha’s face was contorted like she couldn’t breathe, then her eyes fluttered shut and she collapsed onto the ground. “Eunha!” Sana looked around to see if there was anyone there, but the garage was empty. “Someone! Help!” But it was no use. An idea crossed Sana’s mind. She jumped up and ran back toward the entrance of the JYP building where she had a feeling the members of EDEN would be waiting—it was their scheduled practice time after all.

Sana had to call an ambulance...and getting a hold of someone’s cell phone seemed like her best bet. Sana saw Mina instantly once she ran inside the building, sitting on a couch on her phone. Nayeon was sitting next to her but put a noticeable space between the two of them. What was Mina doing here at JYPE after just recovering in the hospital? Maybe waiting for the rest of the girls to finish up their practice before going home? “Mina?” Sana cried out in both relief and surprise, and Mina instantly lifted her head to look for whoever said her name.

Mina’s face turned to one of horror once she saw Sana though—someone she didn’t recognize and that no one else seemed to notice. The girl must’ve been a ghost. Quickly, Mina ducked her head back down and returned her attention back to her phone.

Wait...Mina actually heard Sana? “Did you hear me?” Sana asked the girl, running up beside her. “Mina...you looked right at me.” There was no response, but Sana knew Mina did hear her somehow. There was no time to ask questions though, she had to get Mina to call an ambulance for Eunha. “Mina, I need your help!”

Mina tried her best to ignore the girl she knew was a ghost. Just pretend she’s not there. She’ll have no power over you then. She looked down at her phone like it was the most interesting thing in the world.

“Mina, I know you can hear me. This is an emergency! My friend Eunha was stabbed right outside in the parking lot! She’s bleeding out and I need you to call an ambulance!” Sana’s voice was wavering and desperate. Even though any memories of her past life were unclear, she knew that Eunha had been important to her.

Mina hesitated for a moment, nearly looking up. “I won’t fall for your tricks,” she muttered to herself. “I won’t let you steal my life...not again.”

“What was that?” Nayeon asked Mina, leaning in closer to her.

“Oh, nothing sorry. Just talking to myself,” Mina dismissed. Nayeon shrugged and leaned back against her chair, clearly very bored.

“Mina, please, I’m begging you!” Sana fell down onto her knees, pleading.

“Ready to head out soon?” A voice called from the elevator. It was Sungjin, setting out into the lobby. The girls must’ve just finished their practice. Mina looked up at him, away from Sana. It was just for a moment, but a moment was all Sana needed.

Mina had to call! Sana couldn’t let her leave! Just as Mina was about to nod and get up, Sana took a breath and lept at the girl while she was distracted. There was a jolt. Sana opened her eyes and saw Sungjin looking at her. She was in Mina’s body again. I’m sorry, Mina. Sana thought. I didn’t want to do this but Eunha needs my help. I hope you can forgive me.

Sana stood up abruptly. “I need to make a call first, hold on!” she called out, as she began running out toward the parking garage with Mina’s phone in hand. As she ran, she dialed the emergency hotline. “Hello? Someone’s been stabbed at the parking garage next to JYP Entertainment. The ground floor. She needs help, please hurry!”

Sana’s feet were flying, rounding corners to find the spot where Eunha had fallen. The operator droned on the other end of the line, asking questions. She responded as quickly as she could. “My name? It’s Sa—er, Mina. Myoui Mina.”

They had instructed her to stay calm and that help was on the way, but how could she possibly stay calm? The only person who was a link to her past was dying!

She found Eunha, on her back, gasping. Eunha had moved slightly, trying to drag herself toward help. Her eyes widened as she saw Sana approach her.

“Eunha!” Sana cried out, bending down beside her friend. “Hang in there, okay? Help is on the way.”

“M-mina?” the girl whispered, clearly in disbelief. She knew who Mina was, but she probably wasn’t close to the girl at all. “What…?”

“Did you see who did this to you?” Sana asked, pulling off Mina’s sweatshirt and pressing it down against Eunha’s stomach where the wounds were located in an attempt to slow the bleeding. Mina was only wearing a cami underneath and it was rather cold outside but Sana didn’t care—she just wanted to help her friend.

“He said to stop looking into it,” Eunha said softly, then she let out a whimper. Sana had no idea what that meant. All she’d seen was a tall figure in a black hoodie wearing black pants walking away Eunha after he had stabbed her.

Sana heard running and shouting, so she called out to whoever was around. “We’re over here!” she called.

Sungjin and Nayeon came running—Sungjin holding a small red box which Sana assumed was a first aid kit. It was clearly not fit for multiple stab wounds, but the manager quickly opened it and found pads that would help absorb the blood. Sana moved her sweatshirt aside and let him press it against the wounds.

“How did you know about this?” Nayeon asked the girl she thought was Mina. “Did you see someone do this?” Her voice was high and borderline hysterical. Sana wasn’t sure if Nayeon knew Eunha at all, but seeing a young girl who had been stabbed must be traumatic for anyone.

“I...saw it,” Sana answered. She wasn’t sure how she could lie about this. Nayeon didn’t look convinced but said nothing. “The medics are on their way, I called them.”

“Thank god you found her,” Sungjin replied to Sana. Eunha’s eyelids fluttered shut and tears flowed from her eyes.

“Your...sweatshirt,” Nayeon muttered, just now realizing that Sana was standing in the cold with not much on. Sana looked down at Mina’s now blood-soaked sweatshirt. She was sure there was no salvaging it...oops. “You should cover yourself. You know, in case someone sees you. And you must be cold.” Nayeon quickly removed the jacket she was wearing, revealing a simple long-sleeved shirt underneath, and placed it around Sana’s shoulders. She avoided eye contact as she did so but Sana watched her face carefully for that brief moment. Was that...shyness Sana sensed?

“Thank you,” Sana murmured, slipping her arms through the jacket sleeves and feeling Nayeon’s body heat still lingering in the fabric. She was shivering slightly, a bit from the cold but mostly from how shaken up she was at finally finding a friend only for her to be attacked in such a brutal way only moments after.

It was a few minutes before the ambulance and police arrived. Running at full speed, leading the group, was Chaeyoung’s boyfriend, the police officer Sana had seen earlier today.

“Did you see who did this?” he asked Nayeon, Sungjin and Sana.

“I saw a man in a black hoodie and dark pants. He was facing away from me but I could tell he was tall. I wasn’t able to see his face but maybe Eunha did,” Sana spit out quickly.

The medics came, carrying a gurney, and gently raised Eunha up onto it. The rest of the police force began taping off the area, as it was now a crime scene.

“I’m going to need Mina to come back to the station with me,” Chaeyoung’s boyfriend told Nayeon and Sungjin.

“Is that really necessary?” Nayeon asked.

“She’s a witness to an attempted murder. I need her to make an official statement.” He turned to Sana, looking apologetic.

Sana nodded. “Okay.”

“I can come with her, can’t I, Dowoon?” Nayeon replied.

Chaeyoung’s boyfriend, Dowoon, nodded. “Of course.”

“I’ll get the rest of the girls back home,” Sungjin added.

Nayeon linked her arm with Sana’s and began following Dowoon back to his police car. He opened the back door for them and together Nayeon and Sana shuffled into the back seat. This definitely wasn’t the way Sana wanted to see Nayeon again, but she was glad the manager had offered to come with her.

Sana could try to leave Mina’s body now, but she had to make the official statement for the police first. If Sana jumped out of the girl’s body, Mina would just be lost and confused, and she’d get herself in trouble. After I do this though, Sana thought to herself, I’ll leave. That is, if she could. She really hoped she wouldn’t be stuck again.

______________________________________

Here's the next chapter. Hope you guys enjoyed it! What do you guys think Eunha meant when she said her attacker told her to stop looking into it?