Ch. III - Crowd Control

The Games We Play - Press Start (Twice Side)

Chapter III - Crowd Control


crowd control: A common term in RPGs and MOBAs, but not exclusive. Refers to a play style or abilities that concentrates on controlling a fight by using skills that either, but are not limited to, stun, displace, move, slow, speed up, wall, and, in general, debuff enemies rather than concentrating on damage/killing. Requires a bit terrain knowledge as well as a deep understanding of how other players/enemies play.  


Just a glance…

She was still helping customers but every once in a while she would look over my way. We didn’t exchange words perse. Just quiet smiles and little jokes here and there. This time, as she finished up with a guest, she placed two clear cups on her eyes like they were glasses and scrunched into a sideways smile. Her tomboyish look made her seem more mischievous.

I returned the gesture by putting the cord of my mouse across the top of my lips to form a mustache.

A quiet conversation.

A quiet conversation for just the two of us.

And I was savoring every moment.

Telling jokes.

Teasing each other.

Laughing hysterically.

Silently watching.

Excitedly waiting.

Like we were more than just acquaintances.

Like we had been doing this out entire lives.

Like it was a normal thing to do.

Pantomiming an exciting adventure amongst the computer paraphernalia and baked goods. Or something like that.

That's just a small sample of our private interactions.

All in-between mouse clicks and customer greetings.

It made me happy that we can converse like this, even though it wasn't out loud.

Like she was a new game I wanted to play with.

Like I was… Hmm. I wonder what she likes? I would imagine music but there would be more than just that. I will definitely ask her when I get the chance.

But if we could sit together and slay monsters, I think that would be ideal.

She can be my player two.

”Bi, watch your back. There's a mob spawning there.”

“Ah … Thanks.”

“Ji, can you pull them off of her to me?”

“Aye aye, captain!”

A lithe woman wearing a long red coat ran past me as I took the hit from another beast and, in a quick succession, launched a string of arcane bullets at our uninvited guests. At the same time, a tall muscular female with a large sword joined up by my side.

“Nice pull, let me aggro.”

“Give ‘em hell, unnie!”

“Yeah, Mina-bon! What Bi said!”

The two of them flanked me as I raised my white shield to the enemy. As they approached, divine energy erupted from it and encased the creatures in radiance.  

As the light dimmed, I watched as their heads turned away from the others and all of their eyes were on me.

Yes!

“Take them down, one by one!”

Shambling undead pirates with cutlases and spears charged at me. I raised my shield just in time to brush off the attack. My blade then skewers one in the gut. In sequence, another large sword flies in and slices through its back. To finish it off, a rapier cuts through the air and conjures a bolt of lightning, sizzling the monster for good.

“Keep it up!” I called out knowing very well that this fight wasn't over. More were spawning and if

But that's what I do: I grit my teeth, taking blows with a smirk on my face.

Myoui Mina

Screen Name: Penguin324

Character Class: Paladin

Party Role: Tank

“Ugh! This random healer we joined up with though,” SinB almost spat the words out of .

She wasn’t wrong.

Because there was just the three of us, we had to team up with a random player online. Sadly, it's harder to communicate with them like this and the quality of player can vary greatly.

This was definitely one of those less experienced players.

My health was a little too low for my tastes and the healer didn't concentrate on healing. Instead, they attacked as well as healed, causing the monsters to gain enmity against them and pull them off of me. Not to mention, that if I'm not properly topped off, I can't confidently tank for everyone.

And before we knew it…

System: Sin13 has died.

“Ah, what the hell!?” SinB raised her hands in frustration.

“Oh! Hang on! I can revive- Gah! Or not… Sorry~!”

System: ChiChu4D has died.

“And we wiped…” I announced leaning back into my chair.

System: Penguin324 has died.

“I'm kicking this guy out of the party,” SinB stated, not waiting for anyone to respond.

A small little window popped up and asked if I wanted to kick the other player, which I accepted.

“Tata for now~!” Jisoo waved at the computer monitor as she clicked ‘Accept'.

“Well, that was stupid,” I stretched my arms, releasing the tension that had been building when I got into gaming position. “Let’s take a break, yeah?”

“Sounds good by me!” Jisoo got up from her station and leaned against mine. “When is your date with Chae-chae again?”

“It's not a date! It's a… it's a… I have no idea what it is! But we are just going to talk. Or something.” I looked the computer clock to check the time. Oh god, are you kidding me? “Also, she gets off in like 3 hours.”

Why is it that when I'm waiting for something, it always feel like time is slowing down? I thought time flies when you’re having fun. Games are fun. Or well, they would be if a certain healer wasn't garbage.

“I was kinda joking when I said you stalked her but I guess I wasn't wrong,” SinB observed, though she had retaken her default sitting position and was staring deep into her phone. If I were to hazard a guess, I’d imagine she was chatting with Umji right now. “Someone's obsessed…”

“I'm not!” I said that a little too loudly. Enough that some of the other patrons had turned around to look at me. “Ugh, SinB-yah! I'm not obsessed.”

“You sure about that, Mina-bon? No need to hide your true feelings. You are amongst friends!” Jisoo assured me, patting me on the shoulder.

“I mean, it's not that weird. I just happen to know random things about her. Chaeyoung-shi knows things about me too. You heard her. She knew I came here a lot and even my name-!” I stopped mid sentence, reanalyzing what I had just said. “Yeah, okay this is starting to sound weird. I admit it.”

“And she now finally realizes why I thought all of this was super weird…” SinB smiled triumphantly.

“I just find it hilarious how detailed oriented you are when it came to games or dancing but not relationships.” Jisoo laughed at her own joke.

Thinking back, did I really not introduce myself? I replay the conversation in my head, making sure I hadn't missed anything but… yeah. There were little idiosyncrasies that she did that didn't seem to match up quite right.

The drink I usually order…

The time I usually leave...

Even my name…

I didn't think about it much in the moment but...

“Ooo~! Seems like we have a mystery on our hands!” Jisoo put on a detective impersonation. “Look for clues!”

“You can start with the fact that she had a video of Mina unnie,” SinB pointed out. “That's just creepy.”

Yeah, and that video clip she had...

“I mean, don't a lot of people take videos of our performances though? It's good publicity for the school too. I don't think it's that creepy.”

“Okay, fair point. But you got to admit the fact that she's had it for this entire summer is off putting.”

“Ah! Good point, Bi-Boop!” Jisoo looked astonished, like she had deduced something incredible. “I like the way you think.”

“Bi-Boop?” SinB looked at the older girl.

“I got bored of the old one. Trying out something new. Anyway, what if at home, she spends her nights watches it longingly, wondering who the mysterious girl was?”

“Okay, now I think you’ve gone off the deep end, unnie.” SinB’s lips turned crooked.

“Same,” I agreed.

“Fine!” Jisoo pouted. “But Bi-Boop’s question still stands.”

“Oh my god, you were serious about the name?” SinB gave Jisoo a weird look.

Hmm.

What do I think of all this?

I could only come to one conclusion. Almost instantly.

“Nothing,” I shrugged.

“Huh?” the two of them said in unison.

“Yeah. Funny enough, I'm okay with it.”

I sat up straighter in my chair, tucking my hair behind my right ear. I knew it gave me a nicer profile and the lines on my face thinned. I even took off my jacket, revealing the sleeveless high neck blouse beneath. 

How many times have I glanced over without her realizing? How many times a day? It probably more that I’d care to admit.

But what if it was the other way also? What if all the times I've been playing something, she's at the counter watching me?

I wasn't sure why I didn't care. Or at the very least, I didn't mind.

Was it because it was her?

Was it because I'm so used to people watching me perform and stuff?

Or… was it because I'm-?

I shook the last thought out of my head as soon as it entered it.

No. It's not that.

But at the very least, if she's looking… I might as well look presentable.

“Wah!” Jisoo exclaimed. “Mina-bon is suddenly evolving!?”

“No, wait for it,” SinB interrupted.

Although, knowing me I might just end up sounding like an idiot when I start speaking to Chaeyoung.

How am I even going to talk to her later?

Oh, maybe I shouldn't have agreed to this.

I need to fix this somehow…

“See? There's the anxiety ridden Mina unnie that we all know.”

“Aww, man! Who pressed ‘B' to cancel?”

“I'm not a Pokemon!”

“Regardless, I think you got the desired effect, Mina-bon. Looks like someone’s watching...”

I didn't rotate my head since I wanted to keep the pose. Instead, I just sneakily turned my eyes to the side to check up on her.

Eye contact.

She was already looking my direction. Stunned silent, with slightly agape. I was the one who would always initiate these visual talks of ours but now I see her already looking my way. There wasn't a smile on her face. Well, not the usual one I would see her wear.

It wasn't as bright or cheerful.

She was smiling, sure but… like she was hiding something. Like she didn't want to be noticed.

What did it mean?

What could it mean?

As she continued looking over my way, I raised my left hand and made a ‘V for victory’ sign.

Her smile widened into a brighter one, like I usually saw her wear.

Hehe.

A smile that I could create on her face.

Yeah.

I was okay with this.

I was okay with it because it was her…


Author Notes: Hey peeps! Sorry that took so long. The first couple of drafts of this chapter were really terrible. Mina just sounded like an idiot for some reason and I didn't want that. I wanted her to be naive though observant because of other story plots that will come down the line. Also, this chapter points of a thing I wanted to mention about this story. Mina is comfortable in her body and confident in her looks. However, when it comes to talking to Chaeyoung, she crumbles. What I want to do is slowly build that confidence in Mina in front of Chaeyoung and this was that first step. I was actually going to make this longer (Include some Dahyun scenes in here) but I thought it ended nicely here. This entire chapter pretty much summarizes what these girls were doing the entire summer. Hehehe. 

Another thing is that I've finally settled on a naming convention for all the chapters. Just a crazy amount of gaming terms. 

Mina as a paladin! HAHAHA! Chaeyoung's knight in shining armor perhaps? Kekekeke. 

Anyway, you guys are great! SO MANY SUBS! I thank you all! Please comment and let me know how I'm doing and junk. Your feedback is appreciated! Heck! I even reply back to people. 

Please. Love each other and remember to have good memories and nightmares.