Prologue - Disc One: Complete Noob

The Games We Play - Press Start (Twice Side)

Prologue - Complete Noob


noob: A person who is inexperienced in a particular sphere or activity, especially with the use of the Internet or computing/gaming


How do you walk up to someone you’ve never spoken to before and say “Hello”?

I don't have the courage to let the words leave my lips without the fear of my tongue twisting.

What if that was my only chance? And if so, then did I throw it all away?

What if she thought I was weird for talking to her out of the blue? That is kinda awkward.

Maybe I could mention that I’ve seen her around the PC cafe that she works at? Might be a pretty good ice breaker?

I could see the entire encounter playing out in my head: “Hello, my name is Mina! I know where you work because I go there everyday since the summer break started! Let’s be friends!”

“…”

That makes me sound like a crazy stalker!

Ugh. Not happening.

I’d much rather fight a raid boss by myself in level 1 armor than go against something that embarrassing.

Maybe I should search this topic online?

I bit my lip at the thought as I reached for my phone. Actually, nevermind. This was becoming tragic. I’ve fallen so low that I actually considered asking the Gods of the internet for advice.

Also, what is taking so long?

The line for the coffee counter was moving slower than usual. As I looked over passed the line, I noticed that she wasn’t there. I didn’t know the other girl at the register who was standing there but she looked flustered with the sudden rush of people.

Ah, my plan was ruined! She wasn't even here?

I checked my phone. It was 1:33PM. Was she late? How in the world did I not notice that!?

I felt my nerves get the best of me.

This was hopeless.

I should call it quits.

This was a bad idea.

False start.

We are going to reset, reload, and possibly CTRL + ALT + DELETE.

A chime rang at the front of the shop behind me, causing me to turn around as I stood in line for drinks.

And there she was, standing right in front of me.

My crush.

Today, she had her dark short hair parted into 3/4ths bangs. It’s gotten longer, a couple of centimeters past the ears. It was done in a feminine boyish look that she pulled off very well. Her oversized shirt was tucked into the front part of her shorts, but it almost looked like dress on her small body. Light makeup was all she needed to complete the visual.

She looked amazing today. Especially the lovely part of her face that made my heart skip a beat every time I saw it.

Pink pouty lips punctuated with a beauty mark like a period.

Yeah. She was the perfect mixture of cute and y.

She made eye contact with me and gave an innocent smile, raising a hand for a wave.

Naturally, I waved back.

Oh, It’s happening! It's happening!!!

Yes! You can do it, Mina!

Fighting!

And as she waved, she opens ...

“Dahyun-ah! Sorry, I’m late!”

...Talking to the other girl behind the register...

“Ah! Chaeyoung! Get the register, will you? I need to make these drinks!”

...And walks right past me...

“‘Kay!”

...Taking her usual 32 steps from the door to the counter where she put on an apron and took people's orders.

The 32 steps she would always take at 1:25PM to start her day.

The 32 steps I would watch her from my usual spot.

Apparently… I'm completely invisible to her…

Ehhhh!?

I nonchalantly brush my bangs behind my ear, trying to pretend that that was what I was always trying to do in the first place. But I couldn't stand there waiting in line while I was feeling like an idiot. So I huffed over to the PC station I was renting and rested my head on the desk, trying to drown in my own sadness.

THAT WAS THE MOST EMBARRASSING THING EVER! EVEN REMEMBERING IT WOULD MAKE ME CRINGE!!!

I’m screwed...

“Well, Mina unnie… that was…” A feminine voice next to me started to say something. Her voice trailed off, as if unsure how to put her words delicately. She eventually gave up. “...Awful. Just awful. It was so painful to watch. Even I felt embarrassed watching you from here.”

I rotated my head to face the long, dark haired girl next to me.

“Tzuyu… Not now… I'm too depressed.”

“Fine, fine. It will work out next time.”

As she let the topic go, she reached over and patted the top of my head in an attempt to comfort me. She then continued browsing the internet on the computer next to mine.

“By the way,” Tzuyu started after a while. “You were buying me a drink... So when you get the chance…”

I glared at her, my eyes sharp like daggers.

“Okay, okay. We will get those later! Much later.”

Sigh.

Yup.

This is my life.

My life hiding behind a computer screen while I watched the cute girl standing behind the coffee counter.


Oh yeah. We are doing something WAY different with this one. I wanted to write this one with a softer, more innocent vibe than "Game Over" and I thought this approach would be lovely. Also, people who know me best will know that this will NOT last for long, I will torture you guys like I usually do.