Ch. VIII - Game Over

The Games We Play - Press Start (Twice Side)

Chapter VIII -  Game Over


game over: Said when a situation seems hopeless or irreversible. In gaming, it is usually the screen or state of being when a player fails and dies. Also a reference to the other Games We Play fic staring Yerin (GFriend).


I wish that I could say that after that fun night with Chaeyoung, everything went smoothly and that everything fell into place. I wish that I could say that everything wrapped up neatly with a perfect little bow and that it went all according to plan.

That the stars aligned.

That it was meant to be.

Our happily ever after.

The end.

Roll the credits.

Yeah.

I wish that I could say it was that easy. I really wish I could.

But life isn’t so simple and clean. And there is so much of this story left to tell.

I mean, I could start this next part with SinB’s anxiety ridden inquiry. I could start off with how it filled me with dread despite all her good intentions. I could start with that and quickly get to the juicy parts.

But there are many players in this messed up game called life. Many of whom are important to this story and I want to give them their moment in the spotlight.

It’s funny.

I can’t be afraid to lose something until I’ve gotten a chance to have it in my possession. It happens in games all the time. I can die at the beginning of a level and not care at all. But once I’ve reached the final stage, that final platform, and then lose it all, it's the most infuriating thing in this world.

It really is.

So let me end with her question. Let me end it there and I can worry about the trauma some other time.

Instead, I’ll begin with a small introduction.

I’ll begin with the Genius Paramour.

Jisoo and I were at our usual spots in L@tte Love, twiddling our fingers and bored out of our minds. I took a hesitant glance over to the register and found it swamped with customers. Chaeyoung was scrambling around, barely enough time to meet my gaze before continuing on with her work.

“It’s only for a little bit, just for the summer end rush. Once school starts up again, I’ll have more time to hang out!” I remember Chaeyoung telling me. “I’m sorry! And I just asked you to help me with this stuff!”

“No, it’s fine. It’s fine. I know you need to work,” I said calmly. “I’m just going to go crawl into hole and die a little bit inside.”

Err.

That last part was said internally.

While screaming into the nothingness.

While yelling into the void.

Hello darkness my old friend.

With the summer coming to its natural end, more and more students were coming back from the break. However, classes haven’t started yet so the streets have been busier and busier lately, with students that have nothing to do yet. As such, Chaeyoung has had to take on additional shifts to meet the demand and is always too tired to hang out afterward. And as a result, our days have become as such.

Just awkward glances and hesitant smiles.

“You two really are weird as heck, you know that?” Jisoo sighed. “I mean, it sounded to me that things went well during your little date.”

“It-it wasn’t a date!” I stuttered before going into a whisper. “But still… I’m not sure… I don’t know if I’m ready to go into ano- a- a- relationship right now...”

Out of the corner of my eye, Jisooo had suddenly stopped aimlessly spinning in her chair and started to think silently.

“Meh! Whatever! Still sounds weird to me… I think you two should just bang already and get it over with!”

“UN-NIE!!!” I hushed, my face flushed at the thought.

“You guys are in university already! No need to be embarrassed about stuff like that!”

“That’s- That’s not-!”

“I mean,” Jisoo continued without pausing. “Look at Jenduegi and me! One night, we were alone in a hot tub and… BANG! Before you know it we were in her bedroom-!”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa! I don’t need to know! I don’t need to know! I don’t need to know! PLEASE!”

Jisoo is going to drive my anxiety through the roof.

“Hahaha~! Fine, fine. Have it your way then. Just don’t come running to me if something terrible happens to you two and I suddenly have to fix everything.”

“Ugh… knowing my luck, it’ll probably come true.”

Seriously.

“Anyway, where’s Bi-boop?” Jisoo was now spinning around in her computer chair. “You told her we were meeting today right?”

“Bi-boop? Oh! SinB! Yeah, I told her.”

“She’s late! Again!”

I’ve been trying to use our gaming sessions as a way to distract myself from the lack of Chaeyoung availability. It's been somewhat helpful... Although there is that tiny problem of… well… hanging out at the place where she works.

Yes… I know I didn’t really think this idea out very well.

Jisoo has been some help… sort of. In a very Jisoo sort of way. Although that’s mostly because her girlfriend hasn’t come back from New Zealand yet and had time to kill. Tzuyu on the other hand has been nearly nonexistent. I mean, my own roomate! Ever since she started dating her super rich girlfriend, Jihyo, she’s been coming back to the dorm at all sorts of odd hours of the night. I don’t even have her around to ridicule me anymore! And SinB! SinB keeps coming later and later to these things, claiming she’s been busying working on something and trying to solve our problem… Whatever the heck that meant!

Ugh.

I’m a bit on edge.

I mean, I’m so close to completing my armor set!

Part of the reason Jisoo, SinB, and I started playing together was so that we can collect rare items in the game. This required going through complex dungeons and boss fights that needed good party communication and coordination. All of this was easier to accomplish with friends.

Unfortunately, many of the runs we’ve attempted have ended in misery with terrible randoms who join our group and lack experience. Most of these were our first runs.

“Oh! Hey, hey!” Jisoo slapped my arm repeatedly for my attention. “I think that’s her!”

Jisoo was pointing out towards the nearby window and found SinB there, outside and struggling to pull something behind her.

“What is she...?” I started but ultimately the question was answered the more I watched.

We couldn’t hear her, but we could tell that SinB was yelling, angrily shouting at... at… Who was that? That “something” turned out to be another girl.

“Get in here!” SinB growled as soon as she broke through the cafe threshold.

“But SinB-yah…” the girl lazily slurred, eyes drowsy. “It’s 2 in the morning… Let me sleep...”

“What are you-!? It’s 3PM!”

“Zzzzzz...”

“Unnie, wake up!” SinB turned to us. “Help me!”

Jisoo got up and helped them along.

“Yo! Is that one of my precious underclassman I see!? Did you seriously carry Yennie all the way over here? Doesn’t she live up in that fancy gated area on the hill?” Jisoo asked SinB.

“Yeah… Well a taxi took got us most of the way here… Gah! I think I broke my back!” she responded, shoving the girl into a computer chair. “Unnie is so heavy!”

“I’m not heavy! I’m gorgeous!” the girl declared. “Bwahahaha~!”

The girl’s head lulled to the side, her round cheeks and smooth skin exuding such vibrant innocence and soft femininity. A girlishness that took me a moment to recognize. Her hair was set differently from the last time I saw her, now in a cute bun on top of her head.

“Jung Yerin-shi… right?” I said, remembering SinB’s friend from last year’s dance recital.

“At your service, pretty lady! But Yerin is fine!” she smiled, opening an eye to look at me before returning to her sleepy stupor. “Zzzz…”

“HAHAHAH~!” Jisoo laughed. “Wow, she’s still like this even when she’s sleepy! So cool!”

“She okay?” I looked over at SinB, slightly confused.

“She’ll be fine... I think…” SinB sighed. “Yerin unnie got back from her vacation a couple of days ago and I’ve been trying to get her to come down here to play with us. But she’s been so jet lagged that all she does is just sleep during the day.”

“Where did she go on vacation?” Jisoo prodded, poking Yerin’s cheek and making the sleeping girl giggle and snort. “You never told us where she went.”

“That’s the thing! She didn’t even tell me where she was going! Unnie just told me she was gonna go on a vacation somewhere and then the next thing I know, she was gone! Poof! So annoying! Didn’t answer my calls, messages, nothing! I only found out today that she had been in New York this entire time! And I’m her best friend!”

“I’M GUUUD! TANK KYU BERRY MUCH!” Yerin shouted in her accented English, still half asleep.

“I need to fix this...” SinB announced before heading off to the cafe counter. “Watch her, will you, Jisoo unnie?”

“I got her!” Jisoo smiled, now making small circles in the sleepy girls face singing a song. “Massagey~! Massagey sausagey~!”

“Massagey~!” Yerin sang along. “Massagey sausagey~!”

“We are going to be golden now, Mina-bon.” Jisoo was smiling at me excitedly. “Just you watch! We have the Genius with us now!”

“Woooo~!” Yerin cheered.

“Ehehehe…” I hesitated a laugh.  “Are you sure?”

Jung Yerin.

SinB’s closest and oldest friend and apparently the answer to our prayers.

If I had to compare her to someone, Jihyo immediately comes to mind. They had a similar air to them. Like they were above us normal people. Like they were beyond our reach. If Jihyo was the Matriarch of the Liberal Arts campus, Yerin was the Queen of the Nursing College…

So this was the Genius Paramour?

Or so I had heard some of my upperclassmen call her once. Jihyo got really mad and scolded them for bad mouthing Yerin. I think they still have the bruises.

Still…

SinB has stated that this girl wasn’t all that she seems.

“Do you doubt me, Ms. Pretty Lady? Hmm?” Yerin looked at me with sharp eyes and a feminine smile. Intensely and unwavering. Like she was reading my mind.

“Oh! Um… it's Mina. I met you last year, I believe?”

Her eyes narrowed further, eyes scanning me while Jisoo continued her cheek rubbing ritual in the background.

“I think so… Wait! I remember you! You were that girl that danced all y at SinB's recital thing last year! Right, Jisoo unnie? I'm right, right?”

“Eh!?”

“Bingo!” Jisoo cheered.

Why is that performance the only thing people remember me by!?

“Okie dokie then,” Yerin stretched animatedly and looked around the cafe, getting her bearings. “Right… SinB mentioned something about joining up with you for some fun times. Glad to see you guys took my advice and got Jisoo unnie in here as well.”

“Yup, yup~!” Saluting, Jisoo nodded her head.

“Well then…” The soft looking girl found what she was looking for. “SINB-YAH! MAKE IT A DOUBLE ESPRESSO!”

“‘Kay!” SinB yelled back.

Jisoo and I looked at each other confused then at SinB waiting patiently in line for a drink.

What the hell is happening!? Is this what years of friendship with SinB looks like?

“Okay!” Yerin smiled, gesturing to the computers. “Where’s the tank sitting?”

“Eh? Oh! I’m here.” I raised my hand while at my seat, still unsure how to interact with her.

“Sounds good! I’ll sit here then,” she smiled, grabbing the seat next to me. “It’ll be much easier to coordinate… Hehe.”

“Wait... What?”

“Don’t worry your pretty little head, Mina-bon! Just keep doing your thing and I’ll take care of the rest.”

“Not you too!”

“See?” laughed Jisoo. “It’s catching on!”

Okay… Well… This should be entertaining at least.

When we get right down to it, games like these are incredibly simple to understand. Each player has a role within the party. And, if everyone performs their role properly, then the party will succeed in their mission.

First, there are the DPS classes or Damage Per Second classes. Their job is to dish out as much damage as quickly and efficiently as possible. Jisoo is a midranged spell caster who can fire off spells at a distance as well as get in close. SinB on the other hand takes care of things up front and swings away with her large sword.

The problem is that they are can get easily damaged and knocked out if they are not careful. That’s where I come. Tanks are the wall, the protectors of the party. They pull enemies attention away from the rest of the party and onto themselves. What they lack in damage output, they make up for in high defense and health points.

And finally…

“Hang on…” Yerin muttered over to me. “Give me a second...”

...we have the Healer.

They don’t deal damage. They are the party’s support. If we are running low on health or I am incapable of protecting the rest of my party, they are the ones who answer the call. It isn’t flashy and it's incredibly hard to master. But that doesn’t mean they are any less important.

If a party goes down… the Healer will always get the blame.

“What for?” I asked.

“You can’t create custom macros on this keyboard… Ugh…” she answered lazily. “I guess I’ll do this… um... manually…”

Yerin’s eyes drooped a bit despite a double shot of espresso running through her veins.

Yup… She was yawning again…

In front of me, a large mob of seven creatures ran towards us: a large brute that was a halfway melding of man and demon and his creepy malformed lackeys.

Oh, God, please help me.

“Okay then…”

A smile grew on Yerin’s face.

A sharp smile.

A confident smile.

While her eyes glazed over… and her nimble fingers flashed across the keyboard.

Suddenly, number markers started to appear over their heads, with a big 7 over the big guy.

“Mina-bon,” Yerin said calmly. “If you don’t mind.”

I charged in as a white glow burst from my shield and illuminated all of the enemies. They screamed and whined at the light, seemingly dazed and confused as I bashed my way through the mob.

As we were about to clash, I was engulfed in a blue protective shell.

“That should help...” said Yerin. “Jisoo, SinB. Count them out.”

“On it!” Jisoo shouted.

A flash of arcane bullets barraged my left side as the creature marked with the number 1 was pierced with the magical energy followed by a flurry of stabs from a lithe woman in a long red coat.

“‘Kay, unnie,” SinB agreed.

Soon, a muscular woman with a giant sword came slicing through the air, cutting the creature in twain.

“One!” Jisoo and SinB cried out.

“Mina-bon, lead the attack through the count so that the creatures don’t lose aggro on you,” Yerin explained. “But make sure the big guy is always concentrating on you.”

The sword flashed with a red aura, increasing it’s damage output.

“Got it.” I found myself saying instantly.

As I swung into creature marked 2, the big guy’s movements suddenly became sluggish and slowed. At the same time, I noticed that my health pool was hovering around 70% consistently, some green aura slowly healing my wounds.

Behind me, a thin woman in ornate robes and an ostentatious pointy hat came strolling on by, rhythmically casting spells one after the other, all in perfect rotation. Her large ornamental metallic orb hovered above her left hand, spinning and dancing along with her somatic waves.

This was her… This was the Genius.

    Jung Yerin

    Screen Name: GodFriend

    Character Class: Astrologian

    Party Role: Healer/Strategist

“Sorry…” Yerin apologized, still yawning. “Not used... to this keyboard… I’m a bit slow… right now...”

Slow? Did she just call herself slow? This was slow to her?

This girl was insane!

Every hit was carefully measured.

Every moment was accounted for.

Like there was a remedy for every illness.

Like she could see it coming.

All in perfect synchronous.

It was brilliance…

It was artistry…

She was fully aware of everything on the battlefield and adjusted to the situation almost instantaneously.

This was… amazing…

And as the big baddie fell, I had begun to realize what SinB had been talking about.

Yerin was a lot more than she seemed to be. Healers aren’t the flashiest role to play and it’s very difficult to master. Not to mention, whenever the party wipes, they are the first to blame.

But…

But when you are with one that is good…

And I mean very good…

“Game over...” Yerin announced.

...it made for a ing great time!

“Nice job everyone!” I cheered, getting up from my chair and celebrating.

As I did, I glanced over at the register. There, Chaeyoung was watching and smiling widely, looking at how excited our group was. I bowed in embarrassment to which she mouthed “It’s okay” back to me.  

“Woohoo!” yelled Jisoo. “I knew we were good with Yennie on our side!”

“Didn’t I tell you guys I would solve our problems?” smiled SinB confidently.

“You weren’t wrong!” I nodded before looking over at Yerin. “Thanks for the… um… help?”

“Zzzzzz…” snored Yerin.

She had fully sunken into the computer chair, sleeping soundly like an innocent little girl.

This…

This was was our savior...

“Yennie?” Jisoo called out over the divider. “You alive over there?”

“This tastes really good…” Yerin stated sleepily. “Zzzzz…”

“Are you serious?” SinB walked over to Yerin’s chair and shook it. “Wake up, unnie! I can’t carry you back home!”

“Wah!” Yerin jumped in her chair, resuming her finger placement on the keyboard and mouse. “SinB-yah, what happened? Did we win!?”

“Did you fall asleep while playing again?”

My eyes widened at that.

Wait. How long was she asleep? And what did SinB mean by “again”?

“Ah sorry… I kinda went on autopilot at the end there… I was mostly going off sound cues anyway… SinB-yah, I’m hungry!”

Yerin brushed it off like it was the most normal thing to do.

It wasn’t.

“You’re always thinking with your stomach, unnie.” SinB crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow. “You didn’t even bring me anything from your vacation!”

“Oh… Didn’t I get you a slice of pizza?”

SinB’s eyes narrowed at that.

“You really need to stop dreaming up these weird scenarios in your head that no one else can follow.”  

“Okay, okay,” Yerin shrugged. “Sorry, I didn’t get you anything from New York, okay? I was really busy helping my cousin out...”

“Fine…” SInB pouted. “I’m want food...”

“Okie dokie, SinB-Yah!” Yerin patted SinB on the head and smiled cheerfully. “Let’s get something to eat after this.”

“Mmm,” SinB hummed and continued scrolling through her phone.

Jisoo and I looked at each other happily, slightly embarrassed at the friendship displayed here.

It was rare to see SinB so agreeable. Usually, she would be a lot snarkier if we had pulled a stunt like this. Yerin and her must be really close.

“Hehehe~!” laughed Jisoo. “See? I told you, Mina-bon! The Genius is here! She even did things like this back when we had classes together. She would be off doing whatever on her laptop and when the professor thought they had caught her off-guard, she would respond with the correct answer and go about her day! Wild, right?”

“Oh yeah…” Yerin said reminiscently. “I forgot I would do that sometimes.”

“Yerin unnie…” I started, now seeing her character inventory on her screen. “That armor set…?”

Her character was using a glamour skin, meaning that there was an art overlay that was shown to other players that didn’t do anything but look pretty. Stats were dictated by the character’s armor set… And hers…

“You have the endgame armor set already!?” I said, wide-eyed. “This expansion only came out recently!”

“Huh? OH YEAH!” Yerin smiled. “Kinda went on a week long binge when it came out.”

“Yeah…” sigh SinB. “She locked herself up in her room and barely came out at all. I don’t even think she slept that much either… I haven’t seen you do that since high school. Why did you do that anyway?”

“Don’t know~!” Yerin shrugged. “I just felt like it! Hahaha~!”

I stand corrected.

Yerin wasn’t insane.

She was a bonafide monster.

 

“I thought I heard some familiar voices screaming about,” went a bold but polite voice from behind us. A voice that I had recognized, thought with a slight annoyed tinge to it that seemed out of place. “You ladies do need to keep it down though.”

 

We all turned and found Jihyo standing there, followed closely by Tzuyu.

“Oh, Jihyo!” I bowed, as did SinB. “Sorry about that!”

“I’m only joking, Minari,” smiled Jihyo before turning to Jisoo. “Kim Jisoo-shi, it’s nice to see you taking care of my underclassmen. Thank you.”

“Awww, shucks~!” Jisoo blushed. “No problem at all, Park Jihyo-shi! I heard you were taking care of Yennie so I should thank you as well!”

“Ah well… It’s nothing. We’re... old friends... after all...” Jihyo smiled. “Speaking of which… I see you’ve finally made an appearance around here.”

“I know, I know…. Haha!” Yerin laughed, looking over Jihyo and Tzuyu together. “I was in New York for a while. Family business. You know how it is. Hell, I’m still busy now!”

“New York? I didn’t know your fam-” Jihyo stopped mid sentence. “Oh~! I see… Interesting.”

“Keep it hush hush, if you don’t mind.”

“Hehehe, my lips are sealed!”

Jihyo and Yerin hugged then, greeting in a way only old friends could. There was a familiarity there… In the actions… A familiarity I wanted with Chaeyoung...

“You really do know how to make an entrance, don’t you?” asked Yerin. “Popping up when they least expect it?”

She had her head cocked to the side, grinning with an alertness that no one who was only half awake moments before should have.

Like she was anticipating something…

LIke she was on guard.

“It’s fun sneaking around~!” Jihyo said, matter of factly. “It’s been quite useful actually.”

“Has it?” Yerin raised an eyebrow. “Kind of deplorable behavior for a good girl like you, isn’t it? That’s the kind of stuff people who are up to no good would do.”

“Hehe~! Is it?” There was a haughtiness to Jihyo’s voice that I never knew existed there. “I might have picked up a couple of bad habits... here or there.”

“Oh? Shame. I hope you aren’t teaching them to this young… Miss…?”

“Oh! Where are my manners?” Jihyo blushed. “This is Chou Tzuyu, we’ve been dating for a while now. I was actually just dropping her off here since Mina is her roommate and I needed a drink.”

Tzuyu, who had been watching this conversation silently, paused for a second before she bowed respectfully.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you...” Tzuyu greeted, though hesitantly.  

“Jung Yerin! Likewise! I’m sure Mr. and Mrs. Park are quite taken with you?”

“Oh! Um… Yes! They have been very kind.”

“That’s good to hear,” Yerin nodded. “You guys suit each other very well.”

“Th-Thank you…”

The rest of us stood by, awkwardly watching in fear of this… this… I have no idea what’s going on anymore! SinB’s eyes kept shifting back and forth between Yerin and Jihyo as she typed away on her phone.

“I don’t like the look of this…” Jisoo whispered in my ear. “This crap is intense.”

“No kidding!” I responded.

There was so much tension, I could cut it with a knife!

“Um… Jihyo unnie? Your... order?”

Suddenly, Chaeyoung appeared at my side, holding a to-go cup to Jihyo. As she handed over the drink, she pats me on the back and sneakily slides a piece of paper into my hand.

“See you guys around~!” she smiled and walked back to work.

“L-Later, Chae-Chae-Chae… young…” I tried to say, and fail…

Her forehead shined from the sweat that was starting to appear, working hard behind the counter and trying to meet the demands of all the guests.

Chaeyoung… Fighting…

Smiling, I looked over the note she handed to me.

Congrats Minari-unnie!!! I don’t know what for but you looked very happy! (*•̀ᴗ•́*)و ̑̑

“Hehe!” I giggled to myself.

“That’s kinda cool of her,” went SinB from over my right shoulder.

“Oooo! You’re not wrong, Bi-boop!” sang Jisoo from over my left shoulder.

“This must make you very happy, Mina-unnie,” deadpanned Tzuyu from in front of me.

“H-Hey!” I pressed the note close to my chest and moved away from them. “Don’t read it!”

“Too late!” Jisoo smiled.

“Just ask her out already…” SinB shrugged. “And get it over with.”

“I tried that earlier, she didn’t budge…”

“Hmm… Maybe this will help…”

SinB flipped over her phone and showed me her schedule for August 19th.

“I’m planning to throw a party for Yerin unnie’s birthday at her house. She’s got a big place so I thought I would invite a bunch of us from school…” SinB looked at me curiously, slowly smiling as the words started to make sense to me. “If I did that… Why don’t you ask Chaeyoung to accompany you?”


FINALLY!!!

I'm so sorry it's been so long. I've rewritten this chapter over and over again. But finally! I got it! 

There is a lot going on here so I hope you guys enjoy yourselves! Extra long chapter since it's been so long. 

We are so close to when both games we play fics have pairity. So happy. Been planning it for a while. And Yerin is here!!! Such fun times! But whats with her and Jihyo?!? Haha.

Anyway, please remember to love each other and that you are wonderful.

Comment and subscribe!

And remember, have good memories and nightmares.