ONE

Runaway

 

“Anneonghasaeyo, I am Park Hae In. I’m from Incheon,” she mentally facepalmed herself as she awkwardly made the self-introduction. God, she hated doing these things.

 

The class broke into random applause as a gesture to welcome the new student. Some gave lame faces, rolled eyes while others just clapped for the sake of clapping. Then, the teacher called out for some boy named Heechul, the overly theatric and enthusiastic boy to guide her along for her school tour and her lessons thereafter. Following up, she assigned her to seat beside a petite-looking girl.

 

“Anneong Hae In, I’m Miyeon. Nice to meet you,” the petite-looking girl, her seat partner, spoke softly while the teacher continued to scribble down the lesson’s agenda on the whiteboard.

 

‘I could get used to this,’ she thought wistfully.

 

-

 

It’s stifling. School. So that’s what’s all about. She never really knew how to interact with the crowd here, hence she was always silent around people. The only person she talks to would be Heechul, the class chairman. But that’s because he was the one that always started a conversation between them and he would be curious about her and what she had to offer.

 

“So how was home-school? Fun?” he asked.

 

She quirked an eyebrow at him before answering, “Well, fun is not exactly the word. I get to concentrate more and learn in-depth stuffs. But I guess the learning part was okay. It’s just that it’s always you and you only. I’ve never really got to interact with anyone but my teachers.”

 

“Your parents do not want you to attend normal school?” Heechul questioned again.

 

Parents.Sounds so foreign.

 

“I’m an orphan. Since a rich man sponsors me with home-school, I’ll have no choice but to go according to his wishes,” she haphazardly answered.

 

He never really acted like my father anyway,’ she thought sadly as she walked on.

 

“Oh! It’s all right! Don’t be too saddened by it! At least you get to attend university now! No worries! I’ll introduce you to your classmates and they shall be your new friends! But firstly, no one shall take my spot as your BFF! Okay?” Heechul teased and encouraged her with a bright smile.

 

She managed a small smile in return for Heechul’s kind intentions. He was really a nice guy. She could get along with him.

 

-

 

Fin.