FIVE

Runaway

She dumped her books grumpily onto the table as she sat down. As his smirking face enters her sight, she felt increasingly irritated. How could she fall into his trap just that easily? How could he even manipulate her into accepting his help? Sighing, she resigned to her fate as she prepared for the lesson with, but not without giving him a deadly glare of hers. If looks could kill, he would be evaporating off the surface of Earth right now.

 

“Well well well, now that you’re done glaring at me, should we start? Time’s of essence,” came his haughty voice. She sent him another of her killing stares, determined to stare a hole through his head.

 

“Let’s start then,” despite his means of making her attend his tuition session, he probably just wants to help her improve her math. An air of resignation surrounds her.

 

“I need help with this,” she admitted before taking a calculus book and showing it to him. But what she did not expect was to have him take the book from her only to shut it right in her face and place it somewhere at the far end of the table of the library before pulling out another set of books and placing it right in front of her.

 

“What’s this?” she could feel her irritation rising by the minute and she was sure if she weren’t in the library right now, she would have screamed at him.


He removed his hands from the cover of the thick book and showed it to her.

 

Beginners at Calculus?!This whole thing was adding fuel to her fiery anger. What does he think I am? A pre-school kid? Pfft. She scorned at him.

 

“I was home-schooled. It does not mean that I am in pre-school.” she gritted her teeth as she spoke.

 

“Very well, Math is something that requires a strong foundation at the basics. I have gone through and studied your test paper at math and realised that you are confused at certain basic concepts. That is why you will fail if the same kind of questions ever come out again.” He explained calmly, as if speaking to a disobedient and difficult child.

 

“So for today, we will go through the basics and I will firm up your foundation in Math before teaching you how to tackle problems.”

 

To be honest, she hopes she is dumb right now because there is nothing that she can say against him. He was making sense and she was awed by the way he spoke, though she was kind of pissed at the tone he was using because it made her feel like she was a spoilt child.

 

-

 

Three weeks later, she could honestly feel her math improving with Kyuhyun’s constant guidance and teachings. To say that he was the best at the subject was absolutely an understatement. Because he is brilliant at it! She calmed down hard during the three weeks and decided to be cool and calm and matured about the whole tuition thing because he knows what he is doing and is willing to earnestly guide her and help her improve. So there is no way that she was going to continue to rebut him and feel irritated about everything that he is doing.

 

She concentrated hard on the problem that he was explaining to her, occasionally writing down notes with her pencil to take note of the important parts of the question and subtle clues that the question was dropping on her.

 

He looked at her face of concentration and chuckled silently to himself. Honestly, he thought she was going to be a problem to him because she was sassy, dislikes him for some unknown reason from the beginning of time and she wasn’t that pleasant when she met him for the first time. Now, as he observed her face while explaining to her the question, he couldn’t help but notice the way her nose would crinkle when she hears about the subtle clues that the question is dropping on her. The way her eyes sparkle with excitement when she finally understood certain parts of the question and the way she likes to bite on the tip of her tongue lightly then her bottom lip afterwards. Kyuhyun felt like a ert for doing that but she was interesting to observe.

 

She garnered his interest because she probably didn’t really know who he was, wasn’t fawning over his good looks and velvety voice and she was the one that is really interested in improving her Math. He knows that all these were not pretence just to get him hooked onto her. Let’s just say that he really has a keen eye for people.

 

“Okay! I’ve understood! Why don’t you let me try out the solving part and you can correct me later when I present my solutions to you?” she spoke excitedly as she rubbed the end of her pencil against her temples.

 

He has no reason to reject her, “Sure. But remember, if you repeat any silly mistakes, I will not go easy on you.” Then he chuckled.

 

“Pfft.” Then she started solving it with utmost concentration.

 

It took her eight minutes to solve before she finally presents her solutions to him. He looks through with careful eyes and skimmed every step of her solution. Smart lass. She was truly smart and she did really took his teachings seriously seeing that every step flowed in order and showed him her thought process before she arrives at the solution.

 

He puts a humongous tick at the end of her solutions and ruffled her hair lovingly, “Smart lass, you’ve done it correctly and according to the way I taught you!” he laughed along with her when she cheered softly so as to not disturb the rest of the students who were studying in the library.

 

“There, I know I’m smart!” she then flashed him a brilliant smile which makes his heart skips a few beats.

 

Then the awkward silence comes along because he realises that he was smiling at her, and she flashing her brilliant smile at him while his hand is in her hair, ruffling it tenderly. Almost immediately, the happy and light atmosphere disappears and he removes his hands quickly, they recomposed themselves and then sneak a peek at one another to see if he/she was okay.

 

He then cleared his throat, “Okay, I think we can move on to the next chapter of calculus now that you’ve mastered this one.

 

“Yeah, sure,” she absently-mindedly said while she flipped the pages, unable to get the feeling of his slender fingers brushing through her hair and his soft warm palms against her scalp out of her head. 

 

-

Fin.

-

 

It's a filler chapter! Sigh, but I needed to improve their relationship for the story to go on. So, I'm sorry about the filler-thing!

 

THANKS FOR STILL SUPPORTING RUNAWAY EVEN IF I UPDATE IRREGULARLY AND THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS ON THE COMMENT BOARD BECAUSE THEY MEANT ALOT TO ME :) THANKS FOR THE INCREASING NUMBER OF SUBSCRIBERS TO MY STORY. I hope the new Runaway doesn't disppoint :D So, I'll try to get the next update ASAP once I finished thinking of the next chapter. This whole 3 pages took me about an hour to write! OHHH. Pardon me for the typo and grammer errors because I am currently a lil fuzzy-minded because my exhaustion from work today is catching up with me.

 

So anneong! I'll see you all again in the next chapters and I will reply to your comments :) Please do continue to comment on Runaway to allow me to improve on my writing :) Kamsahabnida, goodnight!