NINE.

Runaway

 

What was she feeling? Isolation? Yes, she was back to being the “awkward girl”. The excitement about her that was generated by Kyuhyun’s popularity and their tuition sessions could only last so long. Gossips come and go. People come and go. Kyuhyun comes and go. Actually, if one were to need a more exact description, it was she that comes and goes.

 

Just like the first time she accidentally intruded into his rooftop.

 

And the last time when she broke off with him, still at his rooftop.

 

It was hard, not knowing how to pass the day without having to look forward to smart witty conversations and good useful teachings. It was hard to pass the day without talking to Kyuhyun or without seeing his smile, feeling his warmth and absorbing his knowledge, basking in his attention.

 

It was amazing how three months can change her so much. She was used to being alone, after all she was trapped in her house for the past nineteen years of her life—homeschooled, no friends, no interaction with anyone other than her brother Jungsoo and her neighbor/friend Minjung. She now likes talking to Kyuhyun because he challenged her and he could understand her sarcasm and reply to her with equally sarcastic remarks. She opens up herself to him. Yet, she knows this can’t last long. Especially if he is the future heir to some multi-national corporation and is currently the son of the major school direction of Kyunghee. She would be found too fast like that.

 

“Mian, Kyuhyun,” she silently apologized in her heart as she stared at him from afar.

 

He was still the same, laughing and smiling at his friends Yesung and Ryeowook. It seems like there was no change and it was as if she had never appeared in his life before. It was as if the break up (it wasn’t exactly a break up, technically they were not dating but you kinda get the point) meant nothing to him. She was just another girl that he had to help with her math homework.

 

-

 

He notices her from the corner of his eyes and knew that she was staring at him from afar again. He doesn’t understand what led to her sudden change and why did she want to end their friendship just like that. The day she told him on the rooftop, he felt so lost and so wronged. What did he do to her that she needs to so callously end their friendship/tutorship. He still doesn’t know how to classify their relationship. It was a little more than friends because he felt that she is an interesting person.

 

For one who doesn’t talk much, her replies are sharp, witty and sarcastic and he enjoys their verbal duel. He knows she does to because when they are verbal dueling in tuition, her eyes would crinkle and sparkle with excitement and she would unconsciously speak more than what he expected her to. Because she was so quiet in class. Because she seems so socially awkward.

 

For once in Kyuhyun’s life, he didn’t regret making the decision to tuition her and not just simply pass her off to Ryeowook or Yesung just because he doesn’t like dealing with girls who just fawn over his riches and status. Because he knew Hae-In clearly doesn’t care about all those. She didn’t even know who he was in the first place.

 

Well, actually, he thinks she sort of know who he was already from last week’s abrupt conversation that ended everything between them. But he expected that knowing who he is, she would actually want to continue this tutorship/friendship between them because who doesn’t want the heir of the international Cho Corporations and the son of a major school director of Kyunghee to be his/her friend?!

 

Guess he was too narcissist.

 

But he would show her that he was happy without tutoring her. Because after all, he is the Cho Kyuhyun. And Cho Kyuhyun shows weaknesses to no one.

 

So despite him wanting to just run to her and forcefully make her take back her words and continue this tutorship/friendship thing between them, he clamps down hard on the emotions threatening to overrun his logic.

 

And maybe also clamping down on the romantic feelings he was beginning to feel for this one unique girl who appears like an enigma in his life.