Kyutie

Myth High: The Myth of Infinite Love

 

Kyut.. Sungkyu?”

 

Sungkyu turned towards the door at hearing his name spoken with such hesitation. He had figured it was Sungyeol entering, having forgotten something or to swoon some more over Woohyun, but it was definitely not his voice. Ugh, it was that useless human boy he had so unfairly been charged with helping. He wasn't some outreach program for the mythically challenged, he thought outraged. Why did the teacher hate him? All he got was detention and more detention. And for what, he was simply practicing his myth powers like every other student at this school. This was even worse than the usual classroom cleaning, at least the chalkboard didn't talk back.

It was time to take things into his own hands. After all, he was only going to do what the teacher had asked him to do, introduce Myungsoo to the mythical world, starting with his own myth. He chuckled to himself at his own brilliance.

Get out, get out, get ooout of this room.” he started singing, skillfully manipulating his voice into pitch perfect notes that tickled the air.

What?” Myungsoo stared blankly back at him.

Oh, I'm singing a song, you don't interrupt someone when they are singing!” he retorted indignantly, surprised that it hadn't affected him at all. He probably just had a high resistance level. He might have to sing a full verse before he caved.

Get out I said, shu shu, I have no time for pointless things, shu shu.” he continued, putting more force into his voice so that it reverberated off the walls. The acoustics of the room could have been better, but it had to do. The melody rolled smoothly off his tongue, the lyrical loops teasing the air.

This song is awfully specific.” Myungsoo snorted as he walked towards him, planting his behind on one of the tables Sungkyu had just finished wiping down. “It's beautiful though.” he added with a smirk.

Sungkyu was speechless. Why wasn't it working? He had never experienced such utter disregard for his singing ever before. It was rare that he needed to sing more than a line to get the desired effect, unheard of in persons of lesser mythical standing. A single word usually sufficed to conquer the most stubborn of minds. There was something weird going on.

So the teacher told me to go to you for help.” Myungsoo began, completely ignoring Sungkyu's attempt at throwing him out. Sungkyu put the chalkboard eraser down and folded his arms as he sat down on the teacher's table and looked at Myungsoo with narrow eyes, forcefully filling the atmosphere with hostility so he would get the hint. He still didn't understand why his song hadn't worked, forcing him to stoop so low as to use such medieval human methods. So tactless, but it could not be helped. He would be damned before he agreed to this slave agreement.

"It that the teacher's pinning this all on you, I would totally be pissed if I were you. I mean, she's basically pawning her own job on you and you get nothing in return!!" Myungsoo waved his hands theatrically as he spoke, outraged. And what was more, he was absolutely right! Sungkyu was pleasantly surprised, he had not expected him to take his side.

"But see, I'm in a bit of a bind here.." Myungsoo continued. Of course there was a 'but', there was always a 'but'. Sungkyu's surprise deflated into mild disappointment.

"Don't get me wrong, I would love to just skip it all, flunk out and go back to my old school, that's like my ultimate dream right now, but that's exactly what my parents are expecting and even if I flunk out, they're never going to let me go back to my old school, I'll probably be sent to whatever hellhole mythical flunkies are usually sent. My parents are stubborn like that. So my only way out of here is to graduate." he explained sullenly. He got so blue, Sungkyu caught himself almost feeling sorry for him. He of course stopped immediately. He was not going to feel sorry for this random kid when he was the reason his life was about to get even more annoying than it already was. He didn't need some pathetic charity case on his hands. One that didn't even flinch as he tried to use his powers on him. No, this was too annoying, he was not having it.

"Why did your parents send you here in the first place? Are you some kind of myth without any actual powers or..? I thought they didn't accept humans?" Sungkyu couldn't hold back his curiosity. Besides, he could feel a plea on its way, so he was trying to change the subject.

"They said it was time I learned about my family history. Dunno, apparently they are some super duper important people, so maybe they pulled some strings?" Myungsoo shrugged. "Super duper bullters, if you ask me." he added in frustration. One thing was clear. Myungsoo wanted to be here just about as much as Sungkyu wanted him to be here, or, not at all.

"But see.." Myungsoo started. There it was, more 'but's and not the round, squeezable kind. Sungkyu clenched his teeth, ready to be as uncooperative as possible.

"I can't do this alone. Without your help I'll never be able to graduate and get out of this freakish world... no offense." Myungsoo grinned, realizing he had just offended every single race of supernatural beings at this school, and in the entire world. Sungkyu wasn't really offended though, since he thought the same about Myungsoo and his ignorant human society.

"But, it's totally unfair that you're stuck with me, so I was thinking.. what if I pay you?" he smiled convincingly. Now that was a nice 'but'. Maybe not as nice as Myungsoo's actual , for he had an infuriatingly well-shaped , that had unfortunately not escaped his attention, but it was nice all the same.

"Pay me?" Sungkyu couldn't help being intrigued.

"Yeah, uhm I don't mean money cuz that I don't have, but I could help you with your detention chores and in turn you could help me with homework. Quid pro quo." he offered. It was cute that he thought he wanted money, Sungkyu chuckled to himself. Ah, what a simpleton. So human. The offer wasn't bad though, not bad at all.

"Oooh, so you do my detention while I do your homework?" Sungkyu smirked.

"Not so fast, I said help.. help.." Myungsoo emphasized. Ah, it was worth the try, Sungkyu thought. This human wasn't as clueless as he had hoped. He nodded in agreement before standing up and throwing a rag in his direction. They might as well start now.

 

Myungsoo was a quick worker, conscientiously doing more than his share. If it continued like that, he could reclaim a life where lunch meant food, not cleaning, Sungkyu thought dreamy-eyed.

"So what are you, anyway?" Myungsoo asked nonchalantly.

"Ehh.." he paused awkwardly. If he told him, he would not only realize that he had been trying to throw him out earlier, information he could take to the teacher to give him more detention, but worse yet, he would know that he had failed in doing so. How embarrassing!

I know what he is! I'm surprised you don't know already. He didn't get mad when you called him Kyutie?” a surprised, beautiful voice asked behind them. Sungkyu didn't have to turn around to know who it was, the hairs on the back of his neck had stood on end the moment he entered. He swallowed, using everything he had to calm himself down before turning around. He was not going to let this surprise visit catch him offguard, he needed to protect his secret at all costs.

He swallowed a gasp as he turned around, Woohyun was more breathtaking than ever. He wasn't used to being so close to him, the force emanating from him was strong. He could feel as his powers tried to take hold of him, tried to make him all high-school-girl-crush gooey eyed. 'It's not real. It's not real. It's just his powers. If you give into his powers, you lose.' he told himself, as he had so often told himself. He was not going to be caught dead swooning over that pompous jerk. He hoped Woohyun would go after the easier prey and put his focus on Myungsoo, but Myungsoo seemed completely unaffected. Ignoring them both, he just kept on cleaning. How was he doing that? He was a mere human, he should have broken completely down by now, wiping Woohyun's shoes instead of the blackboard.

So you're not only saying that you didn't get kicked out, but he didn't even get annoyed when you called him Kyutie?” Woohyun asked in disbelief, snorting cockily.

Not only didn't he get mad, he was in such a good mood that he was singing his heart out.” Myungsoo finally dropped the rag and turned to face Woohyun with his arms crossed. Sungkyu felt like he was missing something. Kyutie? Were they talking about him? Why would he call him Kyutie? How was he talking back to Woohyun like that? What was going on?

Singing, huh?” Woohyun's whole face turned into a big smirk. Oh no! Was he going to out him?

Just singing?” Woohyun peered his eyes, clearly intrigued. Did he know something? How could he know that he failed at throwing Myungsoo out earlier. Sirens weren't psychic.

Yeah, why?” Myungsoo retorted, strangely hostile.

No reason.” Woohyun glanced at Sungkyu and gave him a wink. Oh, he knew. Sungkyu's insides were attacked by a swarm of butterflies, but he remained expressionless.

Actually, I came to relieve our Kyutie here from his duties, I'll take over the tutoring from now on.” he declared. Who was he to call him Kyutie? He would have gotten mad, if his idiot brain hadn't already relinquished all its higher functions, silently giggling over everything Woohyun said. He sighed. It was almost worth it though, if Woohyun was going to take Myungsoo off his hands, although he had been getting used to the idea of having a cleaning slave. A handsome cleaning slave.

No!” Myungsoo interrupted. “You can't. The teacher specifically asked Sungkyu to teach me, it has to be him.”.

Oh, I can fix that. I'll just have a word with her.” Woohyun smiled slyly. Myungsoo looked to Sungkyu for help, desperation in his eyes. Strangely, he got a rare pang of empathy, not wishing the nightmare that was Woohyun on even his worst enemy.

Yeah, unfortunately, it has to be me. We're doing this kind of exchange, you see.” Sungkyu insisted, surprised at how well he was managing to resist Woohyun's powers. Usually when Woohyun wanted something, he focused his influence with such force that nobody could say no to him.

Exchange huh, you thinking of giving him some singing lessons, are ya?” Woohyun raised his eyebrow. His threat was not lost on Sungkyu. If he didn't cooperate, Woohyun was going to divulge everything.

Well, I wouldn't mind some singing lessons myself, actually. How about we make it a ?” Woohyun grinned happily. Both Myungsoo and Sungkyu were left speechless.

I'll take that as a yes!” Woohyun chuckled and before they could stop him, he gave a sharp whistle, resulting in ten of his groupies barging in and taking over the cleaning, leaving the room spotless in under a minute. Maybe having Woohyun on their team had its perks, Sungkyu thought hopeful, although the growing knot in his stomach told him otherwise.