Ignored

Myth High: The Myth of Infinite Love

 

Weird. So incredibly mind boggling. Woohyun looked at the group of flailing classmates around him and then glanced down the hallway. Myungsoo, the new transfer student, was absolutely baffling. He couldn't figure him out. How interesting.

Yesterday, as well as today, Myungsoo had left the classroom before him. It was the first time that anyone had left such a small, enclosed space before him. Ever. Normally everyone would watch him carefully as he gathered his stuff and wait for him to leave with palpable anticipation, most following close on his heels the moment he stood up, making it almost impossible for him to shake off his own special detail that tailed him everywhere. He was almost sure they would follow him to the moon and back, no questions asked. It had its perks, but it could also drive him nuts to never get a moment alone, a second to himself.

He lived in a fantasy world created by his own powers. He was a prisoner within it, doomed to spend the remainder of his days stuck in a make believe universe where everyone was forced to idolize him. Not a bad deal many would say, himself included most of the time, but recently he had been growing restless. He couldn't but ask himself if this was really living. He never made any real connections, everything in his life was pretend, predictable and safe, no heartaches to be created since his heart never had a chance to exercise its muscles. No, with a steady heart rate, it lead a stale and isolated life, his heart did. His brain didn't have it much better, though it did get to play its games from time to time, but even that got boring after a while. He had outgrown this world of his, he needed to shed it like a lobster shed its shell in order to grow and evolve. Only, he had no idea how.

 

Myungsoo, though. Usually it took him all of two seconds to categorize people into their comfortable well defined little boxes, ones in which they shut themselves voluntarily. But Myungsoo, he didn't fit into any of the boxes, not even the marginalized ones that were rarely used. He couldn't quite put his finger on it, but there was something different about him. He would have to do some more research.

Not only had he left before him, but he hadn't even given it a second thought, like he wasn't even aware of his existence. But everyone was hyper aware of his existence at all times, so how could Myungsoo just leave like that, without so much as a glance in his direction?

Was this what it felt like to be ignored? It was nothing like he had imagined. It didn't feel lonely or sad, rather he was peeved, it irked him, scratching at his skin, constantly poking at him. He had the feeling that it wouldn't let up until he had made him take note of him. But how did one go about being noticed? He had no idea. His entire life he had dedicated himself to finding clever ways to evade people, so this was a first. It was such a backwards feeling though, it made no sense. He didn't care if this random boy knew who he was, not really, yet it was all he could think about.

 

Myungsoo was nowhere to be seen, but he had a hunch where he might be hiding. There weren't really that many places in this school where one could get some privacy. Woohyun had to know if he was just imagining things, blowing it all out of proportion, or if there was something special going on here. He could almost feel his heart take an extra beat, or it was more the hope that it would do so in the near future. Maybe. Hopefully. He secretly wished.

He bit his lip, looking at the crowd gathered around him. He rubbed his hands together, this was his time to shine. This was what he had been practicing for, without even knowing it. His debut as a puppet master. The first time he actually needed to use his abilities for something other than killing boredom. Alright, let's do this!

 

He sent a group of five to save him a table in the school canteen, two to get him soda, two to convince the cafeteria staff to make him a special lunch that was not on today's menu, with instructions to help them if needed, three went to the library to do his homework, two to get him an umbrella just in case it rained, even though the forecast for the week was clear skies throughout, and gave the final five the task of guarding the staircase that led up to the roof, instructing them that under no circumstances were they to allow anyone entrance. He was almost certain this was where Myungsoo went to hide, since this was where he would go to hide.

 

He opened the door to the roof with something akin to anticipation. There was this vague flutter in his tummy he had never felt before. He had no idea what was going to happen, how Myungsoo would react to him. For the first time in his life he didn't know what to expect. A small smile quivered on his lips as he headed outside. It was a bit chilly, but it was nice. He had almost started to believe he had gotten it wrong, when his eyes found Myungsoo sitting on the ground in the most remote corner of the roof. That guy really valued his privacy.

He was listening to music, his body swaying to and fro in what Woohyun guessed was in accordance to the music. It made him want to listen too. The strange thing was that step by step he was drawing nearer, but Myungsoo showed no signs of having noticed him. Not in the slightest. Maybe his senses were impaired? Or maybe he was in possession of some kind of a protective talisman, although he had never heard of the existence of one strong enough to protect its owner from a true Siren's power. There wasn't much out there that could match his power's strength, let alone conquer it. Perhaps he just had the willpower of a hundred men, like Sungkyu, that was strong enough, or more like stubborn enough, not to give in completely if he left him alone, but even then he could tell he was affecting him, that he was constantly fighting his powers, and if he would directly ask something of him he would crumble in an instant, of that he had no doubt.

Most people would have sensed his presence even before he entered the roof, the strongest ones could perhaps hold out until he was within a mile radius or so from them, after that there was no amount of willpower that could save them from the all encompassing, mesmerizing force he exuded. They were all compelled to fall for him, whether they wanted to or not.

 

He planted himself right beside an unsuspecting Myungsoo, pulling out one of his earbuds and sticking it into his own ear.

"What'cha listening to?” he asked cheerfully as what he figured was a 90's pop ballad reached his ear.

Myungsoo jumped at having his ear piece ripped out like that, with no warning. He was looking at him, startled and confused. Woohyun found it endlessly fascinating, he had never startled anyone before. It was kind of fun.

Woa, how old-fashioned! Have you heard of a band called Toheart? I can recommend some great songs.” he grinned, daring a little wink, though too concentrated attention could be dangerous. He was already breaking the rules by being here alone with him.

Myungsoo raised one of his eyebrows as he yanked the earbud right out of Woohyun's ear, moving it and himself further away from him, looking at him like he was a crazy person encroaching on his space.

Woohyun giggled to himself. Normally if he gave someone advice, they couldn't be more grateful, so he had expected Myungsoo to thank him profusely and go download Toheart's entire discography at once, but he couldn't have been more wrong. Interesting!

What about a direct order? He decided to do an experiment, nearly exploding from excitement. He yanked the earbud which Myungsoo had just put back into his ear right back out. Myungsoo grabbed it and turned to him with intensity in his eyes. He looked like he was going to say something, but Woohyun cut him off before he had the chance.

Polish my shoes!” he ordered him sternly, moving his shoe closer towards him.

Myungsoo jumped to his feet, appalled. “What the hell is wrong with you, man?! Is this some weird form of bullying?? Thanks, but no thanks. Now, I would appreciate it if you would leave me alone. And nothing about Craig David is old-fashioned!” he sent him a threatening smile before he stormed in the direction of the exit.

 

Woohyun's heart was doing a mile a minute. This was the most intriguing experience he had ever had. He couldn't believe what had just happened. Wow. His first rejection. Just wow. Everyone said rejection was awful, but it felt amazing. It was so liberating. He could be a hundred percent sure that these were Myungsoo's real emotions. His actual feelings. Only people deprived of that privilege could know the precious value of honest reactions. He was going to treasure this moment for now and forever.

 

But, why didn't he like him? Why had he been so mad at him? Was he annoying and he didn't even know it? It couldn't be that he thought his looks were lacking? He hastily reached for the mirror he carried around at all times in his back pocket. He examined his face in detail, before adjusting his hair. A lone lock was trying to escape, but he thwarted its attempt. Nah, there was no way. He looked perfect. But what was it then?