Loverboy

Myth High: The Myth of Infinite Love

 

 

I just saw your loverboy.” Sungkyu's voice rang through the hallway, he was grinning with a playfully evil glint in his eye. “What? Where?” Sungyeol twirled two full circles, fervently scanning every possible direction.

 

ATJUHH!”

 

Damn. He was staring at the tip of Sungkyu's shoe. It looked huge, taking up most of his field of vision. It wasn't as well polished as Woohyun's shoes, far from it. He could see clear signs of wear and tear, making him miss Woohyun for some reason. Everything had a way of pointing to Woohyun. Ah, the powers of a true Siren were no joke, he thought helplessly.

 

Sungkyu erupted with melodic laughter, “Works every time!”.

Oh that bastard! He had done it on purpose. He knew just what to say to get him all worked up, using it like a remote control, making him into his own personal entertainment center.

A high pitched scream followed. “Seriously!! A baby alligator!!!” Sungkyu shouted in dismay.

 

Sungyeol chuckled to himself, the joke was on Sungkyu. He had seen a show yesterday about pet alligators that were adopted as babies but when they started getting bigger, or when their owners simply realized that a baby alligator wasn't perhaps as awesome a pet for their children as they had originally imagined, they got flushed down the toilet, making the sewage a new breeding ground for alligators. A lot of them didn't survive though, he recalled with sadness.

That show had gotten to him, made him think about people and their pet obsessions, and how they so often thought only about themselves, getting the idea 'hey, wouldn't it be cool to have that as a pet', not thinking it through at all, not taking into account the well-being of the animal itself.

The misfortune of those poor baby alligators had done Sungyeol a favor though, helping him get back at Sungkyu. Maybe he would think twice before pulling that stunt again anytime soon. To make extra sure, he started crawling up his shoe, opening his mouth, intending to give his shin a little nibble.

He was almost there when Sungkyu gently shook him off his foot. “Don't come near me, you hear!” he shrieked in a panicky voice, creating a safe distance between them. Still, he didn't leave him. He stuck around to make sure he was safe, so that someone wouldn't just call animal control and make them dispose of him. Even though Sungkyu could sometimes be a total pain in the , he felt overwhelmingly lucky to have such a good friend in him. A friend he could truly count on. Those were hard to find.

 

~~~~~

 

*tap* *tap* *tap*

 

Sungyeol couldn't stop his foot from nervously tapping the floor. Why was he always so anxious when he knew Woohyun was in the vicinity. He tried to calm himself, using the breathing techniques he had learned in his 'special class'. They made him feel like he was mentally challenged, like there was something wrong with him. Well, there obviously was since he just couldn't seem to be able to get control over his powers, no matter how hard he tried. But he didn't like feeling so stupid in front of everyone.

He stared at the classroom door, trying to will it to open, but it stayed stubbornly closed. Officially he was waiting for Sungkyu, he couldn't help it if Woohyun just happened to be in the same class. A total coincidence, he thought excitedly. This class was taking forever, why couldn't the bell just get it over with and ring already?

 

Ah, there it was. The sweet sound of temporary freedom letting everyone know it was lunchtime. Better known as Woohyun time! Moments later the door started to open. He felt like it was happening in slow motion. He held his breath in anticipation.

 

Oh.. heh.. hey.” he said awkwardly, his cheeks heating up as his eyes met with the boy he had accidentally crashed into yesterday. He had caught him completely off guard, since Woohyun was always the first one to exit the room, everyone wanting as much Woohyun time as possible. Sometimes, if you were really lucky, he even took a few moments after class was over for some precious heart-sending, and on extra special days he gave out a couple of autographs and maybe even a selfie!! Sungyeol had never gotten one though. Heck, he hadn't even seen one! He had been too afraid of shifting at the sight of what he assumed was the most amazingly incredible, mind-blowing selfie of all, that he didn't dare join in the celebration The boy nodded his head slightly before scurrying off without a word. Well, that was better than him making fun of him or advertising what had happened.

A second later Woohyun himself came out the door. It was like someone had opened a window in a dark windowless room, the light banishing the darkness that you didn't know lived in your heart. It was like having been stuck in a tunnel for a hundred years, being blinded by the rays of the sun as you could finally feel the refreshing breeze of freedom. He was that beautiful. Breathtaking. Awe inspiring. Perfect.

 

ATHJUUUHH!”

 

A bright high pitched laughter echoed from above as he felt a familiar hand grab under his belly, lifting him up. “A bunny... really?” Sungkyu couldn't stop laughing, his soft fur as he started walking in the exact opposite direction from the one in which Woohyun had been heading. Sungkyu was doing it on purpose. Sungyeol tried to curse but all that came out were cute little squeaking sounds.

Aww, are you trying to say thank you?” Sungkyu giggled mischievously, knowing full well that wasn't the case. “You are so. Very. Welcome.” he said with an attitude, rubbing it in while scratching behind his ears. Sungyeol tried to hold on to his grudge but he was too comfortable in Sungkyu's arms to stay mad at him, the ear scratch lulling him into submission, making him purr involuntarily.

 

So, as per usual, your loverboy made it impossible to actually learn anything, even the teacher was fawning over him so hard that most of the class was spent staring at him, listening to him explain the idea, in detail mind you, for some song he spent last night composing instead of actually completing the project he was supposed to be presenting today. The teacher of course apologized for coming up with such a boring project and complemented him on taking the initiative to throw it into the trash bin and then made a pinky promise that she'd be the first one to buy his album when it came out one day in the future. Can you believe that? All she does is put me in detention if I so much as think about using my powers, but he gets the promise of a life long supporter of his ridiculous dream?!?” Sungkyu's voice nearly cracked, he was so outraged.

Sungyeol did agree that it wasn't fair, but still he was more interested in joining the teacher in becoming Woohyun’s number one groupie. He could only hope that Woohyun would actually realize his dream of becoming a musician, for that would make his dream come true too, at least the modest version, since then he would have endless opportunities to see him, not to mention permission to gawk at him as much as his heart desired. And his heart desired a lot of gawking, among other things.

And then, as if that wasn't frustrating enough, he ended the class by doing impressions of the teacher and some of the students that asked him to. Seriously! I have better things to do with my time than to listen to some self obsessed jackass make a complete fool out of himself, thinking he was doing impressions when he was really just making himself look like an idiot. He barely even changed his voice!” Sungkyu spat, getting himself all worked up the more he talked. Agh! Woohyun was famous for his impressions! Sungyeol's heart sank, why did he always have to miss everything? He was just about the only one in the entire school that hadn't had the pleasure of experiencing it yet. It was the talk of the town, or at least the school halls. And now Sungkyu had seen him do them too. Sungkyu, who didn't even appreciate it one little bit.

 

But believe it or not, that was not the most annoying thing that happened in class today. That new guy. Ugh! I don't even get why he's in our class in the first place.” Sungkyu's became harsher, making his petting borderline uncomfortable. “I mean, he doesn't know the first thing about ANYthing, he's so behind it isn't even funny. Like, why doesn't he just start in the first grade?! And the teacher told me, ME!, to give him my notes if he needed. Are you kidding me? Why do I have to play the selfless volunteer in this situation, like I haven't got enough on my plate already ...and it's pointless anyway, if he's a simple human, what does he need with a supernatural education?” he rambled on, nearly pulling the fur right off of Sungyeol before thankfully calming down and breaking into song.

For anyone else it would have been weird behavior, but Sungkyu was always doing that. He spent half his life singing, understandably so, he had the most beautiful voice he had ever, well, Woohyun had the most beautiful voice he had ever heard, but Sungkyu was a close second. Listening to him reach tones mere mortals could only dream of, Sungyeol drifted off into the realm of the clouds, hoping that he would find Woohyun there, hiding in the mist.