His Number

Myth High: The Myth of Infinite Love

 

Woohyun opened the library door, careful not to make a sound. It squeaked a tiny bit, but all in all he was successful at his first attempt of the art of sneaking around. It was a completely new territory for him, he had never ever tried to go unnoticed before. There had never been any need for it, seeing as he could get whatever he wanted with the direct approach, so going behind people's backs would have made no sense and only complicated matters.

He swallowed. This was it, the moment that needed all the finesse in the world if it was going to work. Technically, he was banned from the library. Or well, he had been asked very nicely to refrain from going there, the commotion he caused everywhere he went kind of ruined everything for which a library stood, bringing total chaos in place of organized silence.

He held his breath as he tip-toed inside, but the moment he entered, everyone could sense his presence, turning their heads with lit up eyes and welcoming smiles, so annoyingly happy to see him, each and every one of them. For once in his life he wanted to experience what it felt like to be that happy about something, unconditionally glad to see someone, even if it was just a fake emotion, coerced by his Siren powers. It didn't take more than a few seconds before everyone had gotten out of their chairs, gathering excitedly around him. The librarian, instead of scolding him and asking him to leave, rushed over with a stack of her favorite books, trying to get him to read them. He put up his usual smile, waved and sent a couple of hearts, but he was in a hurry so he declined the books and the other gifts he was offered, except for the soda, since he was thirsty, and got the hell out of there.

He couldn't wait to perform the second part of this experiment. He was so curious to find out the results that his gut tingled. It was a strange sensation. He couldn't remember it ever having done that before. His life was so predictable, there was never anything to get excited about. Until now.

 

There he was, sitting on the windowsill, reading a book. This was the moment of truth. It was such a strange feeling trying to be quiet and go unnoticed. How did one even go about doing that? He held his breath and traced the wall. So far so good. If Myungsoo had noticed him, he was doing an excellent job of hiding it. He took one step closer, then another. His heart was going crazy in his chest. This was the first and only time it had done anything outside the box, rhythm-wise. Normally you could set a clock to it. Maybe he was having a heart attack?

Myungsoo should have noticed him by now. He was right behind him. He had never seen anyone so up close without them going into a heightened state of delirium and then eventually fainting. There was no one who could withstand such a concentrated amount of exposure for more than a moment. He reached out his hand. His heart panged. He wasn't supposed to touch anyone, for safety reasons, and usually he took the safety of others very seriously, but he had to find out if his hunch was right. Because if it was, it would change his life as he knew it.

The moment of truth.

Gotcha!” he exclaimed as he grabbed his arm. Myungsoo’s whole body shook in shock and he grabbed his heart. Oh no! Had he overestimated him? Had wishful thinking lead him to endangering his life? His touch was dangerous, possibly lethal. He monitored his reaction closely, wondering if he should call the healer.

What's wrong with you, man?! You nearly gave me a heart attack!” Myungsoo sprang up and shook his arm loose. “Bunch of psychos.” He muttered under his breath as he shoved his book into his bag and took off like he couldn't get away fast enough.

Woohyun collapsed onto the windowsill, dumbfounded. Not only because he was the only person ever to run from him, but because his hunch had turned out to be right. It had to be. For some reason Myungsoo was immune to his powers! Possibly to all powers, since Sungkyu's powers had also crashed and burned.

Sure, he had to do a bit more research to double check, but there was no doubt about it. Never had there ever been recorded an incident in myth history of immunity to a pure Siren's powers. It was unheard of. And yet, there was no denying it. Myungsoo was completely unaffected by him. His heart ran a marathon as it dawned on him what this meant. If he couldn't affect him, he couldn't hurt him. He could be around him for more than 2 weeks without risking him going insane. He could touch him. Like, really touch him. The prospect of actual human contact gave him goose bumps. He couldn't remember ever having prolonged contact with anyone, not since… well, he was so young he couldn't even recall a single detail about the person who ended up paying with her own life for the simple act of taking care of him. His heart ached as the scar from its old wound seared. It reminded him that he had vowed not to take risks where the lives of others were concerned, but this was different. If Myungsoo was immune, there were no risks. Myungsoo was his only chance to experience real love. He was not going to let it pass him by. He was going to seduce him if it was the last thing he did.

Normally he would just let his powers do all the work, but they didn't work on him. How did people do it without using powers? It was a complete mystery to him. And then there was that boy he was hugging, had he gotten himself a boyfriend this quickly? He had never ever given a second thought to the competition, since he had never had any, but now that he couldn't rely on his powers, he was thinking all kinds of new things. It was like he had been given a chance to experience how it was to be a mere human. He wasn't very worried about it though, after all his looks were perfect and he was an extremely charming guy. There was no way Myungsoo was going to be able to resist him, powers or no powers. And why postpone the inevitable, he was going to seduce Myungsoo today. Today he would become his.

 

After sending out scouts to each corner of the school, his informants located Myungsoo in the east wing corridor, waiting for his class to start. Woohyun wasted no time, hastily walking over there. He still kept his cool, he didn't want to look desperate.

 

There he was, leaning against the wall, looking extremely uncomfortable since there was a crowd of students beside him waiting for the same class to start. Even though his looks were nothing compared to his own, he was pretty darn handsome. His face was kind of manly and delicate at the same time, his body both boyish and mature. Maybe it was the contrast that made his looks so charming. There was something about him. It was not like Woohyun was in a position to choose, Myungsoo was his only chance, so he was just glad that he wasn't intolerably ugly.

 

Woohyun wasn't the type to beat around the bush, so he went straight in for the kill.

Give me your number.” he told him.

Why?” Myungsoo scrunched his nose, unconvinced. What did he mean, why? If he wanted it, he should just give it to him. All the students in the corridor had now gathered around them, all gooey eyed, fervently searching their phones to see if they didn't have Myungsoo's phone number to give to him. One even tried to search Myungsoo's pocket for his phone, but Myungsoo slapped his hand away, appalled.

I might need it later.” he said, even though he felt no explanation was needed.

Yeah... I don't think so...” Myungsoo shook his head and went around him to get to his classroom. Nobody else followed him, even though the bell was ringing.

This was going to be even harder than he had thought.

Interesting.

Confusing, strangely disappointing, but interesting.