The First Day

Myth High: The Myth of Infinite Love

Oh, there he was! Sungyeol's heart didn't wait half a second before betraying the promise he had forced it to make over and over again during summer break. It wasn't supposed to get this excited at a mere glimpse of him at the end of the hall. It just kept on bouncing and bouncing inside its bone prison, even though they both knew what tended to happen when it got overexcited like this.

Shh, take it easy in there.” he whispered, but he knew it was useless. It wasn't his heart's fault, it was completely under his spell, just like everyone else. If there was anything harder than a one sided love, it was sharing that one sided love with every other student in the entire school, male or female. He had been on a mission this past summer, to fight the effects, to try and sober up from his intoxicating beauty. He had tried every method he could find on the internet, but nothing matched the power he had over him. Granted, these had all been feeble human suggestions, he had yet to seek mythical help, but something told him it wouldn't do any good either. The moment he laid eyes on him again it was all for nothing.

Those almond shaped puppy eyes, making you want to do anything for the privilege of looking into them for as little as a nanosecond. Not that he had ever had the chance. He had never gotten close enough to even show up on his radar. They were in the same year, and yet he had no idea he even existed. He was way, way, way out of his league. In fact, he was so far out of his league that if he was the smallest cockroach on Earth, Woohyun would be the Sun. The Sun didn’t pick up on anything smaller than a medium size planet at best, so what hope did a cockroach have to get its attention. A cockroach wooing the Sun? Preposterous! They were too different. The cockroach’s life had no effect on the Sun whatsoever yet the cockroach couldn’t live without the Sun. This was the sad truth that was Sungyeol’s life.

 

He froze. Woohyun was heading in his direction. Him and his posse. There were always a group of at least 20-30 people around him, fawning over him like idiots, doing his bidding like good little slaves, asking for nothing in return, except perhaps getting sent one of his marvelous signature hearts. Not that Sungyeol was any different, he would be right there with them if he only could. Heck, he would give anything he had for the opportunity to be his slave for just a few moments. Several times a day he imagined how it would feel like to get a heart from Woohyun. It would be a dream come true. He would do any task no matter how lowly. If brushing the bottom of his shoes was what he had to do to earn a heart, he would do it. He was a cockroach after all, it would only be fitting. But with his condition, Woohyun would chase him away before he even started. He sighed. It just wasn’t meant to be. It sometimes made him mad how much of his life revolved around a guy that didn’t even know that he existed. Granted, it was no ordinary guy. But still, they weren’t even real feelings. It was just Woohyun's powers making him feel this way, hijacking his life. Anyway, it wasn’t like it was the only thing in his life that .

As Woohyun drew closer, Sungyeol got warmer. Maybe Woohyun really was the Sun. He at least radiated brightness, there was almost a visible shiny halo around him, lighting up the otherwise dull hallway. Ah, his beauty was painfully overwhelming. He was smiling like he owned the world, his pearly teeth so white they probably glowed in the dark. He sent little finger-hearts every which way, causing complete and utter chaos as those who crossed paths with his hearts all fainted, burst into tears or freaked out. If only Sungyeol could get close enough to catch a stray heart, he couldn’t begin to imagine how special it would make him feel. Somehow, being in Woohyun’s presence made you feel like you were the most loved person on the planet and made you compelled to return that love with equal intensity. Except no normal person had that much love to give. It was said that too much of Woohyun could make you go crazy, die even. That was why every two weeks he had to change classes to keep the exposure to the other students and staff within a safe limit.

 

Oh, oh! He was almost here! What to do? Sungyeol tried to calm his nerves by humming a song. Funnily enough, the song his brain appropriately came up with was 'La cucaracha', which meant cockroach in Spanish. Unconsciously he had already decided he was going to try and say hi to him. He didn't know what had possessed him, but there was no changing his mind. It was Woohyun's senior year, so if he was ever going to attempt a trip to the Sun, now was the time. In all likelihood his spaceship would burn up in the boiling heat before making any kind of contact, but then at least he would die trying.

He cleared his throat, hoping his voice wouldn't let him down. It would be very typical if instead of a casual hi, a weird croak would come out. It was not like he wasn't used to being humiliated. His whole life was one big humiliating situation. But please. Just once. Just once let him be smooth.

 

He held his breath. Two steps and Woohyun would be here. “Be cool. Be cool.”, he told himself. One step. Okay, this was it. He raised his hand and opened his mouth, starting to pronounce the H in 'Hi' when his nose started tickling. No. No. No!

 

AAAAATJUHHHH”

 

Woa! He was flying through the air. Man, what had he changed into now? Something really small, that was for sure. Damn, no wings. He closed his eyes to brace for impact, but his eyes wouldn't close. Seriously! That was all he needed. No eyelids. This . He was getting queasy from the feeling of weightlessness, wondering if he would just keep on falling forever. He had to be something really small for it to feel like he had just jumped off a 20 story building.

 

He hit the floor back first with a loud 'clunk!', but nobody seemed to notice. If only that had been the end of it, but he simply bounced off the floor and landed the right way up on a shiny black surface. Disorientated he tried to get his bearings.

Just when his stomach was settling, the surface started moving. Aaa, he tried getting a better grip but realized he didn't just have two hands, he had more! Moving through the air, he saw only shoes around him. He took a better look at the black surface he was standing on, realizing it was a shoe too. An extremely well polished shoe. So well in fact, that he could see his own shadowy reflection. A cockroach! Aisssshh! He had to start watching what he thought about, exiling all topics involving insects from his brain forever.

Why did this have to happen to him every freaking time? It wasn't like he wasn't capable of embarrassing himself just by being himself. This extra help was not appreciated, not in the least!

 

Wait! He could hear voices coming from above. He wouldn't have cared, except it was no ordinary voice. It was the most beautiful voice of all, bright and enchanting, almost like it was singing. He realized these weren't just any shoes, these were very special shoes indeed. How had he not noticed it? There was no one in this school except him with shoes well polished enough to see one's reflection in it. Woohyun.

 

What's the story with that guy by the window, the loner reading the book there?”. He could hear Woohyun's conversation if he listened closely. “Oh, him. He's new. A transfer.” a snide girl said. Probably one of Woohyun's groupies, following him around in the hopes that he would acknowledge her existence. It wasn't her fault, she probably couldn't help herself either. But Sungyeol couldn't find it in himself to pity her, since he could hear in her voice that she was making a face to indicate that the guy in question was not worth their precious attention. As if the condescending emphasis on 'transfer' hadn't been clear enough. Besides, she actually got to follow Woohyun around. Sungyeol couldn't even be in a half a mile radius from him without suffering one form of embarrassment or another.

I heard he went to an all human school.” another girl added in a rushed, out of breath 'Do I have gossip for you'-tone. “Yeah, word is that he doesn't even have any powers, so nobody gets why he was transferred.” the first girl interrupted, intent on impressing Woohyun by knowing more than the other one. “Some say his parents are members of the high council!” the other one said, trying to make a comeback, not giving up on the battle over Woohyun's attention so easily. “Oh please! That's ridiculous! In order to be on the council they'd have to have myth blood, but mythies having a baby without powers is unheard of so..” the first one argued, speaking to the other girl like there was something wrong with her brain.

 

Ah! Sungyeol could feel he was about to change back at any moment. He would've loved to eavesdrop some more, but he didn't really fancy explaining to Woohyun what he was doing sitting on his foot like a total idiot. It was guaranteed to get his attention, but that wasn't exactly the first impression he had had in mind, even though that way Woohyun was sure to remember him for years to come. But maybe it was better to remain unknown rather than going down in history as the greatest goof of all time.

 

He scurried off as fast as his tiny little legs could carry him. Which was actually a bit faster than he had expected, so when he changed back into his very much larger human form he was moving so fast that his two big clumsy feet couldn't keep up with his former six little insect legs, stumbling and falling face forward. He braced for impact, expecting to hit the window at the end of the hallway. “Please don't break, please don't break!” he pleaded as he was catapulted forward without any say in the matter. His mom would go ballistic if she had to skip another day at work to come pick him up at the nurses station, or worse, the principal office. It wasn't like he was trying to get into trouble. He didn't ask to be born with this stinking condition of his.

 

OUGHH”.

 

He hit something soft that winced on impact. Sungyeol was scared to check who it was he had crashed into. It was all he needed, another scandal to spread like wildfire through the halls of the school, ridiculing him. He had hoped this semester would be better. That he could walk the hallways unseen, instead of having random people he had never even met before tripping him for a laugh, retelling the tales of his epic embarrassments. Man, his life .

Well, he had better get it over with, rip it off like a band aid. Although he had never really gotten why people said it was better to rip a band aid off with one quick motion. It hurt like hell! It was way better to gradually nudge it along until it fell off on its own.

 

Are you okay?” a voice behind him asked in a near whisper. The voice was friendly, albeit a smidge shy, not at all sounding like the owner wanted to rip his head off for using him as a crash-cushion.

Sungyeol got up with a little assistance from the human cushion. He was a bit disorientated after the whole ordeal. His stomach grumbled loudly, he always got hungry after a shift.

Here.” the boy said, sticking his hand out. Sungyeol looked up, it was a cookie. But a different kind of cookie was what caught his eye. The boy he had crashed into had such a sweet smile that the cookie paled in comparison. Not only was he insanely handsome, he had the cutest little dimple he had ever seen. He just wanted to poke it, it was so cute. He had to use all his self-control not to, since a poke attack after nearly squishing him to death would probably put an end to the surprising hospitality he was showing him. Instead he took the cookie, grinning awkwardly as he took a big bite.

Thanks.” he said with his mouth full, crumbs falling to the floor.