Day Four, II: Falling

Bloom and Grow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Day Four, Part Six: Falling

 

 

“You know what…this was a terrible idea,” Joohyun whined, clinging to the edge of the ice skating rink. Her knees had begun to shake, not from the cold of the ice below them, but from the lack of motivation and strength she had in order to move.

Meanwhile, Seulgi laughed, skating backwards beside the struggling florist in a carefree manner. “That’s not what you were saying when we were lacing up our skates,” the younger woman teases, wagging a finger at the florist.

There’s a youthful glow about Seulgi’s features, as if the act of stepping out onto the ice gave her some sort of unearthly energy. It makes Joohyun’s heart tighten, reminding her of just how in awe she still was of the past few day’s events that led her into dating the one and only Kang Seulgi.

“In fact, I think you even told me this was a fantastic idea,” the business woman continues, taunting Joohyun playfully. The younger woman does a fantastic job of showing off her skating skills. As soon as they’d joined the throngs of Downtown Seoul’s skating population, Seulgi had shot across the ice like a bullet, fast and confident.

Joohyun had trailed behind the business woman at a much slower pace, keeping an eye out for her tweed coat for as long as she could make it out between the rest of the other skaters. Seulgi was surprisingly skilled and quick, and Joohyun lost sight of her almost immediately.

 “Can this girl do everything?” The florist had muttered to herself as Seulgi disappeared from view, shaking her head as she tried to pluck up enough courage to even shuffle forward. Joohyun’s brows knit together as she slowly pulls herself along the edge of the wall.

“Well, I’ve changed my mind!” She exclaims, side eyeing the business woman and the rest of the confident ice skaters rushing by them with obvious envy. She’d been all ears to trying new things, up until now. Joohyun had mistakenly pegged ice skating as a fun and easy activity, chalking up the experience in her head as something even a child could do.

Yet she hadn’t expected her legs to stop cooperating with her. Joohyun’s stubborn limbs left her clinging to the rim of the rink, hardly capable of lifting her skates to push off and gain any momentum. “If you let go of the wall, I’ll hold your hand,” Seulgi said, extending an open palm towards the shorter woman.

 “I promise I’m a good teacher,” the business woman adds, shooting the florist a winning smile. Joohyun halts, digging her toe pick into the ice in front of her to keep herself steady. This was the only part of skating she managed to remember from the numerous tips one of the rink workers had given her as she’d shakily stepped out onto the ice with Seulgi.

Seulgi follows the florist’s line of sight and cracks a small smile that grows larger and larger the moment she begins to realize what’s happened. The pair had come full circle around the rink, and now there was a huge gap in the lining of the wall to make way for the doorway for skaters to step on and off the ice.

“See?” Seulgi asked, flipping herself around until she was facing forwards, “You can’t hold on to the support rail forever.” Joohyun snorted, “Maybe so, but I’ll die trying.” The florist took a deep breath and pushed off from the wall, sliding over the ice with her hands desperately curling for the next part of the railing.

It was all going perfectly in Joohyun’s head when all of the sudden, she began losing control of her balance. Saying a quick prayer in her head, the florist prepared for the imminent face plant that no doubt awaited her and screwed her eyes shut. Seulgi grabbed her by the waist just in the nick of time.

A second later, Joohyun found herself pressed up against the rink wall. Her head was resting against the tall glass barriers used to prevent hockey pucks from flying into the crowd. Streams of her ragged breathing brushed against Seulgi’s face as her hands strayed to at the business woman’s toned biceps.

Seulgi’s eyes twinkled playfully as she propped them up, bodies almost flush against each other. Her dark orbs were almost teasing Joohyun to lean in closer and brush their lips together and unconsciously, Joohyun found herself doing just that. She would have succeeded in her attempt had it not been for a random ice skater flying by and nearly knocking them apart.

“I can’t have you dying on my watch, that’s for sure,” Seulgi giggles, poking at Joohyun’s inflamed cheeks as she straightened the two of them up. Joohyun pouts and lightly shoves the beaming woman away from her. She places a firm hand on the ice rink’s railing and smirks at Seulgi.

“Careful, Kang, I might just sue you for all you’re worth if you make fun of me again,” Joohyun teased, turning back to the meticulous act of making her way around the rink once more. Just when she thought she’d gained a fair head start, she heard the sound of Seulgi scoffing and felt a tug on her blazer sleeve.

“You’d never,” Seulgi sang, expertly maneuvering about the ice backwards. Joohyun set into a straight line, nudging forward ever so slightly. Her ankles were beginning to ache from using the heavy skates, but she still cracked a smile at the business woman.

“I’ve got an idea,” Seulgi said suddenly, gently curling her hands around Joohyun’s arm, successfully halting the florist’s movements. “How about…we let go of the wall, and start skating?” She says gently, leaning slightly to the left, out to the open ice where hundreds of other people were happily skating.

The business woman began trying to soothe away the tension radiating from Joohyun the second she’d woman had begun to pull the florist away from the safety net of the rink railing. “W-wait,” Joohyun whispered, her fingers desperately wrapping around Seulgi’s.

She looked up into the business woman’s coal colored eyes, saw the way Seulgi was silently asking permission, took in the intensity of the fire of love within this woman’s look, and allowed her fingers to slowly unclench. “Just,” the florist finally breathed, “go slowly, please?”

There’s a playful wink, and then Seulgi pushes off with her skates, propelling both of them forward at a rate so fast it makes Joohyun shriek. The sound is loud enough to draw the attention of a few of the passing skaters, who shoot Seulgi death glares over their shoulder, but the business woman merely waves them off.

“There we go!” Seulgi says excitedly, adjusting her grip. She shoots a smile at Joohyun, pride glittering in her eyes as she watches the florist mirror each of her movements. “Now you’re getting used to it!” At Seulgi’s utter delight, Joohyun began laughing and grinning wildly as well, overcome with the joy of learning a new skill.

Joohyun was so distracted by the fact that she was pushing off of the ice on her own accord, feeling perfectly at east with herself, the florist didn’t even feel Seulgi releasing her grip. It was only when she was nearly half way around the rink, tailing other speeding skaters, and had turned over her shoulder to shout something at Seulgi, did she see the business woman casually skating far behind her.

Instead of faltering, like how she’d feared, Joohyun steeled herself to glide over and catch up with the younger woman. She’d prove to Seulgi she’d learned the art of skimming across the ice once and for all. Setting her gaze on the slow moving skater, Joohyun expertly weaved her way towards Seulgi, cutting across the paths of other skaters like it was nobody’s business.

Smoothly, the florist slows just enough to intertwine her and Seulgi’s fingers together, matching the business woman’s slow and steady pace. “Hi,” Joohyun said, breathless after her little endeavor. “I’m proud of you,” Seulgi replied, squeezing Joohyun’s icy hand tightly in her own frigid palm, “You went around the whole rink to get back to me!”

They go around for a few more laps, talking amongst themselves and giggling when Seulgi falls flat on her in front of a toddler, before Seulgi takes a peek at her wristwatch. “As much fun as this has been,” the business woman sighed, swinging their interlocked fingers, “We should probably get going. I wouldn’t want to make you late to work.”

Joohyun pouts, wishing for a moment that neither of them had any obligations that day, she hadn’t felt so free in what seemed like decades. “I’ll drop you off at Deja Brew before I go,” Seulgi offers with a smile as they make their way off the ice. She links arms with the florist in order to steady their wobbly steps.

They shuffle over to the clerk counter and return their skates, slipping on their shoes hastily. “I wish you didn’t have to go so soon,” Joohyun mumbles, tightening her hold on Seulgi’s toned arm. Absentmindedly, she the sleeve of Seulgi’s coat with her thumb. They walk up to Seulgi’s car, parked on the side of the road near the rink, and a frown forms on Joohyun’s lips.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be seeing you later for sure,” Seulgi hints, holding the passenger side door open for Joohyun to climb in. There’s a twinkle in the business woman’s eyes that makes the corners of Joohyun’s mouth turn back up into a beaming smile.

Carefully, Seulgi closes the car door behind Joohyun and then makes her way around to the other side of the car to climb into the driver’s seat. Joohyun watches her, filled with the feeling of contentment. The florist was still reeling a little bit, trying to piece together just how she managed to get so lucky and find someone as wonderful as Seulgi.

As Seulgi pulled away from the parking garage, she the radio and the pair instantly began singing along, comfortable in each other’s presence. It was a short drive through the streets of Seoul, though they were sidetracked a few minutes due to traffic.

During the entire ride, Seulgi and Joohyun were dancing and bopping along to the radio as if they were teenagers again. The smile dancing across the florist’s face only faltered when Seulgi finally pulled up to Deja Brew, just as she’d promised. Seulgi rested an elbow on the center console and leaned against her door, peering at Joohyun.

Gently, she reached for the florist’s hand. “I’ll see you in a few hours, okay?” The business woman said, pressing a chaste kiss on top of Joohyun’s knuckles. With her free hand, she unlocked the car doors. Nodding, Joohyun folded a hand over Seulgi’s. “Thank you for the ride, Seulgi-ah,” the florist murmured.

Then she leaned forward and pressed a kiss to the business woman’s cheek. After watching a blush form across Seulgi’s face, she smiled again. “See you later!” Joohyun called out as she stepped out of the vehicle and onto the sidewalk, closing the door carefully behind her. Confidently, Joohyun marched her way towards the front door of the coffee shop and made her way inside.

 

 

**

 

Day Four, Part Seven: Falling

 

As soon as she walked into Deja Brew, Seungwan began pelting her with an endless stream of questions. The café owner had watched her walk in from behind the barista counter, and in turn, Joohyun could see Seungwan studying her. The Canadian looked over the new set of clothes the florist was wearing, the bounce in her step, the smile plastered on her face.

“Whose clothes are those?” Seungwan asks first, pointing at the other woman’s elegant, woolen blazer. Her extended index finger trailed all the way down to the shiny black patent leather loafers Joohyun was wearing. “As far as I know, you don’t own Gucci,” the coffee shop owner quipped, one eyebrow raised.

The florist smiled at her best friend as she sidled up to the counter. “After I stayed the night at Seulgi’s house yesterday, she felt bad that she didn’t have any clothes in my size,” Joohyun said. She shrugged, “She actually went out before I woke up and shopped for me, and she cooked us this massive breakfast this morning!”

Seungwan’s eye twitched as she and Joohyun walked over towards the barista bar. She was fighting back a bark of laughter by coughing into her shirt sleeve. “So, what you’re saying is...Seulgi’s like your sugar daddy now?” She asked incredulously as she brushed aside one of her employees from the coffee machine.

The Canadian quickly se

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter