Day One: Snowstorm

Bloom and Grow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Day One, Part One: A Snowstorm

 

The ritual began on a crisp Monday morning at 8 o’clock on the dot. Joohyun had just unlocked her shop’s front door and flipped the small cardboard handout resting on the handle to “Open” when someone pushed through the threshold.

Instantly, the warmth of the room was out into the frigid ten degree weather, and Joohyun frowned at the plants she’d been watering, offering them a brief look of disdain before regaining composure. For starters, the florist detested the cold, biting weather that Seoul had to offer in winter. More than half of her closet was dedicated to long sleeved sweaters and jackets, as the young woman was characteristically cold bodied by nature, no matter what season it was.

Second of all, Joohyun hadn’t been expecting any customers so early in the day. The temperatures had dipped well below freezing over the weekend, and ice and snow covered the bustling city in a glorious coat of white. She almost hadn’t even bothered to open today, and had called each of her employees the night before to let them know they had the day off. After all, she’d thought to herself after ending the last call, who would be stupid enough to go out in this kind of weather just for some flowers?

 It’s not like Joohyun was bashing her own company, it just seemed like common sense to her. No one, in their right mind, would head out for anything today, unless if they were crazy. Or were forced to go out for their job, Joohyun relented.

Joohyun had been so certain that there wouldn’t be anyone, she stayed up later than usual last night to finish a novel she’d started a few months ago. Being the owner of her own establishment often came in between the florist and her love for reading, as well as having a normal social life that didn’t involve flowers.

Her shop, All in Bloom, had gained popularity and momentum over the course of the year since Joohyun opened it. Orders constantly came in for weddings and various receptions and ceremonies, though Joohyun had been brought up almost too humble to realize the extent of her flower shop’s influence. Sometimes, Joohyun felt as though she were drowning in blossoms.

Truthfully, Joohyun was a little sleepier than usual herself, and had been hoping that the extreme conditions would ward off any sort of social interaction her job often forced upon her. She had a steaming mug of green tea and her dog-eared copy of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice waiting for her atop the counter next to a bushel of flowers she’d yet to put together. But it looked like blissful reverie would have to wait.

Regardless of her souring mood, Joohyun tried her best to transform her features into something resembling half a smile for the customer as she turned around and stretched her aching knees. After all, it was business as usual, and Joohyun was nothing short of polite to her guests. “Good morning,” the florist called out, holding back the sigh that almost dovetailed into her next sentence. She pulled off the mesh gloves she’d been wearing and set down her watering can next to the potted plants. “How may I help you today?”

As soon as she sets her sights on who she’s addressing, Joohyun feels her cheeks flush. The woman who walked in had an unusual beauty about her, with her fair, unblemished skin and sharp features. She had an air about her that told Joohyun of affluence, with her beautifully lined wool coat and her tailored shirt and pants.

Yet as Joohyun took a step closer, she could tell that the woman was nowhere near the type she often had to deal with. There was a softness in her gaze, a warmth about the smile that she shoots Joohyun. She had a gentleness about her that stuck up people who think they can attain anything they wanted by throwing their weight around like a sack of cash didn’t have.

The woman definitely looked a bit out of place in Joohyun’s humble store, looking around admirably at the various displays lining the wooden shelves around them. To Joohyun, the woman seemed to be studying everything about the place and was so engrossed that she hadn’t heard Joohyun’s greeting. She waited for a moment before turning to put away her watering supplies, and that’s when the woman murmured a shy, “Hello.”

The florist shot her a small smile before walking over to the supply shelf, where she began rearranging her tools to give the customer more time to look around. It was almost deathly quiet inside the store, since Joohyun had forgotten to start up the background music that morning, and neither of them were talking. The only sounds to be heard were of the rustle of their clothing, their footsteps, and the occasional car driving by slowly.

Joohyun retreated to her spot behind the counter, drawing up her stool and taking a sip from her mug. She was certain that the woman came in either by mistake or to escape the cold, yet when she noticed the woman hastily removed her coat to place it on the hanger by the door, Joohyun felt her interest peak once more. As she attempted to delve back into Jane Austen’s world, she found that her focus on the archaic English language was wavering. Joohyun was opting to glance at the woman more often than the pages of her book.

 “I’m here to buy one of your flowers,” the woman said suddenly, her cadence light and airy and her voice smoother than silken petals. She wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter