Day Three, II: Growing

Bloom and Grow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

A/N: This chapter ended up a lot longer than I expected it to be, hahaha, but I hope you guys enjoy! School and work is putting a little bit of a downer on my ability to write updates, but I promise I'll update when I get the chance! Hopefully this wasn't too boring for you guys...ahhaha 

 

 

Day Three, Part Three: Growing

 

It’s more than difficult for Joohyun to focus after Seulgi’s abrupt departure from the flower shop. She nearly forgets to turn the sign on the door back to “Open” behind the business woman. Her memory had only been jogged after she’d thrown away her salad. She’d turned back towards the door in vain, hoping to discover Seulgi standing there, only find someone studying the shop’s hours posted on the window with a puzzled expression.

Her mind is more than preoccupied with thoughts of the party to come later in the evening. She wonders which hairstyle she should wear her thick black locks in, what makeup to put on, which heels to pair her outfit with. The options are endless, and she quickly becomes too frazzled to remain idle within her store, waiting for another customer to walk in.

Glancing at the flower adorned clock mounted on the wall behind her, Joohyun sighs. It’d only been an hour, give or take, since Seulgi had swept into the store with her characteristic leisure. The florist had to bear two more hours before she could start getting ready for her and Seulgi’s…date? Oddly enough, Joohyun was finding herself comfortable calling the excursion a date, giddy even.

In all her twenty-six years of living, Joohyun had never thought of women in the way Seulgi was making her now. Though she’d never truly been interested in men to begin with, Joohyun had always seen herself settling down with a man. Her parents had ingrained in her the stereotypical image of being a stay at home mother, raising children and cooking meals.

Perhaps her somewhat narrow-minded thinking could also be explained by the stigma society pinned on anyone and anything that went against the norm. Or maybe Joohyun just hadn’t been paying enough attention to what she really wanted out of life. She’d always enjoyed being a homebody; she often opted to stay in during weekends and cooked her own meals rather than going out to restaurants.

Joohyun smiled to herself as she counted down the cash register, thoughts filling with Kang Seulgi. Now, rather than imagining herself waiting for her hard-working husband to come home to her, Joohyun was envisioning Seulgi sweeping her up into a lingering kiss after a long day at work. In her mind’s eye, she watched Seulgi smile at her from across Joohyun’s dinner table, saw Seulgi opening doors for her and surprising her with gifts.

The whole scenario was easy enough to picture, now that she’d been seeing Seulgi more and more frequently over the past few days. Kang Seulgi and Bae Joohyun. She liked the ring of their names together. “Bae Joohyun,” the florist practiced the way she’d give her introduction at the party underneath her breath, “Seulgi’s girlfriend.” Joohyun let out a high-pitched giggle before repeating the phrase to herself once more, absolutely gleeful at the way it sounded.

Reflecting back on the matter once more, Joohyun realizes that she’s never been one to follow societal standards. Rather, she preferred to break them. No wonder she wasn’t bothered coming to terms with her growing attraction towards the business woman. Suddenly remembering that tonight wouldn’t truly be real, since her and Seulgi weren’t actually dating, put a little bit of a damper on Joohyun’s mood, however. The woman turned back to the task at hand, brooding slightly at this fact.

Joohyun was so engrossed in shuffling the bills, she didn’t notice when the door opened and closed shut silently. “Have I always been into women?” The florist muttered to herself, ignorant of the sound of soft footsteps over the hardwood floor. A strangled gasp emitted from the bundled up figure who’d entered the store causes Joohyun’s heart to leap into . Her eyes flick up from her work to catch sight of Seungwan standing in front of the counter.

Relief floods through her instantly. At least she hadn’t just come out to a complete stranger, or a customer. Her best friend’s hands are covering , and her wide eyes are bulging out of her head in obvious shock. Seungwan’s always been one to overreact, and now was of no exception. The two women stare at each other, suspended in time, before Seungwan pumps her fist in the air.

“Ha! Oh my god, I ing knew it!” The café owner’s tone is overflowing with excitement, and Joohyun watches as she nearly knocks over one of the flower displays beside her. Other than her obviously blushing cheeks, Joohyun was managing to keep her composure, with her poker face trained on her best friend’s celebratory gestures.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” the florist said after she’d finished counting the drawer, though there were the tiniest hints of a smile about her words. She flicked her ponytail over her shoulder with nonchalance. “Admit it, Bae,” Seungwan snickers, not listening to a word of Joohyun’s protests, “You’ve got it bad for the one and only Kang Seulgi, that woman you brought into my shop the other day.”

Eyeing the growing array of flowers next to the cash register from the business woman, the florist knows it won’t help to deny the fact any further. “Okay, okay,” Joohyun confesses, “You’re right.” The Canadian lets out another whoop, “I knew there was something going on between the two of you!” Amusement lilts across Joohyun’s face at Seungwan’s reaction, “And how’s that, Agent Son?”

The café owner shrugs, though she’s still obviously pleased by her guesswork. “Easy-peasy.” Confidence oozes out from Seungwan’s grin, and she runs a practiced hand through her wavy chocolate colored locks. Joohyun knows the look shimmering inside her best friend’s almond colored eyes all too well. The florist settles back down onto her stool, ready for Seungwan to begin bursting forth with enthusiastic words.

 “For starters, we’ve been friends long enough for me to know that it takes time for you to open up to new people, Joohyun-ah.” Joohyun had to admit, Seungwan did have a point. Even with Seungwan frequently flying back and forth between Canada and Korea, the duo quickly cemented their relationship. “I know I can be shy at times, but it took me three tries to even to get you to look at me when we first met, remember?”

At the mention of that embarrassing memory, Joohyun cringed behind the register. “Yah,” the florist covered her ears, “Don’t remind me! I was shy as a kid!” Rolling her eyes, Seungwan continued, “When you brought Seulgi into my coffee shop a day after meeting her, that was pretty huge indicator that there was something up between you and her.” Joohyun frowned and opened to protest, only to be silenced by Seungwan once more.

“Literally the moment you guys sat down,” the café owner went on, “it was like you’d both gotten lost in your own little world with each other.” Joohyun supposes Seungwan has a point, seeing as she can’t really remember much from her and Seulgi’s coffee date other the parts that included the business woman. “Who are you texting?” The florist questions, seeing Seungwan’s satisfied with her sleuthing conclusion, sliding the rack of money back into the register. The café owner had whipped out her smartphone, thumbs flying across the screen with an almost inhumane speed.

“Sooyoung and Yeri,” her best friend replies hastily, “They each owe me 20,000 won.” Joohyun’s right eyebrow flicks up towards the ceiling, “Wait a second…the three of you bet on my uality?” Seungwan snorts as she finishes up her texting, “Of course we did! They came into the café a week after you hired them, and the three of us got to talking.”

The Canadian reaches out a hand to pluck one of Seulgi’s flowers out of Joohyun’s vase, “We’ve all been waiting ages for this moment of truth, Joohyun-ah.” Twirling the stem of the Lotus flower in between her nimble fingers, Seungwan shoots her another smirk.

 “Honestly, I think I’ve always known this about you, though,” Seungwan shrugs, “We grew up together! You know you can’t hide anything from me.” The Canadian gently sets the flower back into the vase and reaches for Joohyun’s hands, unclenching the florist’s tense fists with her warm grasp. “It’s alright, Joohyun,” Seungwan murmurs tenderly, sensing Joohyun’s sudden hesitation towards her.

“You know nothing’s going to change between us. We’ve been through so much together, I’m one hundred percent certain nothing could shake the bond we have.” Seungwan’s looking at her with such tender eyes, Joohyun can’t help but look down in embarrassment, overcome with emotion. “We’ve faced the world together, Joohyun-ah,” her best friend murmurs, “I want nothing more than for you to be happy…and I think I can do that by encouraging you to pursue your interest in Seulgi.”

Joohyun doesn’t even realize she’s crying until Seungwan reaches out and brushes the offending liquid off of her cheek. “Thank you, Wannie,” Joohyun whispers, doing her best to keep her head held high. “I’ve got news,” Joohyun says once she’s composed herself, causing the Canadian to lean forward onto the counter. “Seulgi and I are going on…a date tonight.” Squealing childishly, Seungwan’s eyes light up brighter than the sun itself, causing another smile to stretch across Joohyun’s lips.

“Wait a second before you start with your fist pumping,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter